Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

xbilkis posted:

My gut instinct is that Russ is going to end up losing based on downballot positioning. I think most people who vote for Westbrook are going to give a second place vote to Harden, and I think you're going to see a decent segment of voters that have Harden/Kawhi in the top two slots (and maybe even Lebron third)

It looks like the last time the MVP didn't go to the person with the most first-place votes was 1990, though, so maybe the formula makes it hard for that outcome to actually happen

You should less worried about those votes and more on the random points going to Isaiah Thomas or Stephen Curry.

Like people still voted for Carmelo in arguably Lebron's best year as a Heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

E2M2 posted:

Wait how did the Cavs lose

It's simple, they're terrible. When's the last time someone blew a 26 point lead in the 4th quarter?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How are the Wolves losing to tanking teams?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
You're might end up seeing that gamewinner forever if Russell gets to be a star, since he grandma died this morning

This almost made me think that you could create the most clutch player of all time if you could find someone with a couple thousand grandparents, and kill one before each of his games

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Cleveland CavaLIARS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Glumslinger posted:

You're might end up seeing that gamewinner forever if Russell gets to be a star, since he grandma died this morning

This almost made me think that you could create the most clutch player of all time if you could find someone with a couple thousand grandparents, and kill one before each of his games

With talk like that you're gonna provoke another round of NBA parents idea like we had a few years ago.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

They're in stage two of their Bucks' style rejuvenation plan, next year they're going 48-34 and Karl Anthony-Towns is gonna average 30/15/5/2/2 while Wiggins, LaVine, and Dieng take turns being injured

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Dokmo is there any way you can look into how the Thunder perform when Westbrook is far away or already gotten his triple double versus when he only needs a few rebounds or assists to get there?

He's a stat hunting baddie and I hope he steals enough votes from root beer barrel to get Kawhi the MVP.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bashez posted:

He's a stat hunting baddie and I hope he steals enough votes from root beer barrel to get Kawhi the MVP.

Kawhi should win MVP anyway

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Icy Penguigo posted:

It's simple, they're terrible. When's the last time someone blew a 26 point lead in the 4th quarter?

Atlanta's football team? Or maybe :thejoke:

I know this is supposed to be LolNets, but pending how the two remaining picks pan out, this doesn't exactly scream "look at all the lost championships."

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Cleveland CavaLIARS

Milsap is a really good player and is 70% of the Hawks but the finish to this game was great to watch. Muscala played really well too.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Icy Penguigo posted:

https://twitter.com/kdpomp/status/851319650050813952

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Westbrook is great and all the bballbreakdown posters getting salty about him are hilarious

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Is the NBA still doing the last two minute report because it's going to be a doozy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I know this is supposed to be LolNets, but pending how the two remaining picks pan out, this doesn't exactly scream "look at all the lost championships."

It's really one of the most bizarre trades ever at this point. Even now, it doesn't seem like it can fail for the Celtics, but maybe it's cursed.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Westbrook performance was unbelievable, but Cleveland blowing that lead is mind-boggling Twilight zone poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/851301907142279172

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
lol @ Denver Nuggets home fans actually wanting their team to lose and being out of their minds happy seeing their team knocked out of the playoffs on a hail mary from the future MVP

nice fans Denver has there

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Give Russ MVP.

Sorry Harden but my Russ-is-way-cooler-than-you metric is all that counts.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TBeats posted:

Give Russ MVP.

Sorry Harden but my Russ-is-way-cooler-than-you metric is all that counts.

Russ is retarded as gently caress and harden shoots cool rear end 3s way better and he plays on a team with an offense that's watchable.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
So you would say Houston has the better team?

Hmmmm...

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

A total team effort!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

All those guys in their prime would be a fun team. I can't read the name Gerald Wallace without thinking about how he was the only player that ever wanted to play his whole career/retire as a Bobcat and was traded away.

gently caress Gerald Wallace for literally breaking Ryan Anderson's back on a reckless and pointless play.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Panzeh posted:

Russ is retarded as gently caress

Could you at least try

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jack's Flow posted:

A total team effort!

Towns and Wiggins are ridiculous.

WhyteRyce posted:

Getting a W isn't the Wolves top priority right now, but holy poo poo did they get zero help scoring from guard play.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Russ is retarded as gently caress and harden shoots cool rear end 3s way better and he plays on a team with an offense that's watchable.

they shoot the same percentage on threes

Harden does shoot more though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I support Russ as MVP and no longer despise the Thunder now that they're not a legit threat and never will be again

:smug: Yw metapod

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
My favorite thing about the Russ for MVP bandwagon is the people insisting that having him crash the glass on defense is a good thing because that way he can start the fast break.

Yes you want your primary ball handler as far away from your basket as possible while trying to score in transition

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My favorite part about the anti-Russ for MVP crowd is suddenly everyone is an NBA head coach level strategist and well you see he's not really averaging a triple double because if you watch the games and if you strip away and this that and the other he's really a glorified stat stuffer and blah blah blah

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

my favorite part is that metapod is having fun

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Russ is whoever any particular person wants him to be and sometimes it's a depressing window into their soul

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Russ is whoever any particular person wants him to be and sometimes it's a depressing window into their soul

Russ is our Id and our Ego.

Inside we are bowling balls who want to dunk and monopolize the ball.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
LeBron has played 11 more minutes than Westbrook in six fewer games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Stevie Lee posted:

they shoot the same percentage on threes

Harden does shoot more though

Yup.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Before Harden's shooting slump the last 6 or so games the difference between their efficiency was much greater. I'm not so sure that .040 true shooting % is enough to dissuade me or some people on the fence that Harden is clearly ahead of Westrbrook, especially given that Westrbrook has to take a much more bad shots just because of the quality of their teams.

That being said, I probably still think Kawhi is the actual MVP.

Basically any person that was on the fence before this last week is going to be drawn to Russ because Harden has struggled, The Cavs are collapsing, and Kawhi generally just being Kawhi and not standing out (Depsite playing phenomenally). Meanwhile Russ got a 50 point triple double, hit a game winning shot and broke a record.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 10, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Blind Pineapple posted:

It's very misleading because they wouldn't have drafted the same guys, but IF they did, Favors/Draymond/Lillard is a top 5 team in the East (because #5 in the East is an ~.500 Atlanta but still) and without Dray the Warriors will have been to 0 finals IMO. Durant doesn't leave the Thunder for them in that scenario either, I bet. No trade, no super Warriors, 1000 years of Spurs domination? 2014-15 becomes bizarre as the best team in the West is...Rockets or Clippers? Can Lebron and the scrub squad beat those teams, or do the Harden Dwight Rockets get a ring? A strange reality we peer in upon

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Before Harden's shooting slump the last 6 or so games the difference between their efficiency was much greater. I'm not so sure that .040 true shooting % is enough to dissuade me or some people on the fence that Harden is clearly ahead of Westrbrook, especially given that Westrbrook has to take a much more bad shots just because of the quality of their teams.

Basically any person that was on the fence before this last week is going to be drawn to Russ because Harden has struggled, The Cavs are collapsing, and Kawhi generally just being Kawhi and not standing out (Depsite playing phenomenally). Meanwhile Russ got a 50 point triple double, hit a game winning shot and broke a record.

Westbrook has made up a lot of ground in his stats while Harden and (to a lesser extent) Kawhi have slumped a bit. Honestly, whoever gets it deserves it and I'm going to be irritated when people act like someone got robbed.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean if we're really being honest it's LeBron (and has been for like the past decade).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Noctone posted:

I mean if we're really being honest it's LeBron (and has been for like the past decade).

What is the actual argument for this. Neither stats, nor narrative, nor team performance suggest that Lebron should be in the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Net's trades were so bad. Probably the worst collection of trades outside of Sacramento not knowing how the cap worked. Other than Deron every player they traded for was way past their prime. And even Deron, if I remember correctly, was going to be a free agent after another year and said he wanted to go to Brooklyn.

• Locked thread