Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's basically the same as the mobile app and works totally fine? :shrug:

I tried switching to it recently and we had issues with the web app not showing messages when we were in another tab or program at work. We pretty much always had to manually check and refresh the page to get chat updates. This was happening both on my windows PC in chrome and my partners Mac at her work in chrome.

The app works great on our phones but the browser issue is a big deal that I couldn't get a fix for, have you ever had that issue on Google Chrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

TwistedNails posted:

I tried switching to it recently and we had issues with the web app not showing messages when we were in another tab or program at work. We pretty much always had to manually check and refresh the page to get chat updates. This was happening both on my windows PC in chrome and my partners Mac at her work in chrome.

The app works great on our phones but the browser issue is a big deal that I couldn't get a fix for, have you ever had that issue on Google Chrome?

I've never had that issue with WhatsApp web, and I use it fairly often. This is Chrome on Windows 10.

I have had issues in the past with web not getting updated when my phone went to sleep or something. Just waking my phone up fixed it. I haven't seen that in months though. Might have been an issue with my phone in particular.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TwistedNails posted:

I have not had that happen, that's really odd. I use it on Google Chrome as well, Windows 10. The only issue I've had is sometimes I forget to close my browser tab and it stays open so notifications don't come through normally on my phone so I miss messages occasionally.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

You can make your own stickers on Telegram and for that alone it beats any other messaging app. Discord is a real close second though. Thank you and good night.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I got my Pixel XL and am loving it so far. Unfortunately the one thing my Note did better was taking screenshots. I can't seem to get the timing down right for the hardware buttons to take a screenshot.

Are there any recommended screenshot apps that can set up gestures to take screenshots? In a perfect world one that I could link to Nova Launcher and configure a gesture to double tap to take a picture.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Doesn't Nova launcher have its own actions? Maybe screenshot is one of them

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Medullah posted:

I got my Pixel XL and am loving it so far. Unfortunately the one thing my Note did better was taking screenshots. I can't seem to get the timing down right for the hardware buttons to take a screenshot.

Are there any recommended screenshot apps that can set up gestures to take screenshots? In a perfect world one that I could link to Nova Launcher and configure a gesture to double tap to take a picture.

Just hold the home button, swipe up to get the sharing button, then share the screenshot to whatever app you need it in. Otherwise, you just press and hold the VolDown button a millisecond before you press and hold the power button.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Pixel/Pixel XL should also take screenshots if you press Power and Volume Down simultaneously, no need for a delay.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

The Pixel/Pixel XL should also take screenshots if you press Power and Volume Down simultaneously, no need for a delay.

Yep, simply press both at the same time and keep pressing for about one second.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

Yes, but the buttons are in an awkward place and I can't get the timing down right - I end up lowering the volume constantly as I try to take a screenshot. It may be due to the case.

Nevertheless, that's my point of looking for an alternative - I know it CAN take screenshots but was looking for something I can do quickly with one hand.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

Yes, but the buttons are in an awkward place and I can't get the timing down right - I end up lowering the volume constantly as I try to take a screenshot. It may be due to the case.

Nevertheless, that's my point of looking for an alternative - I know it CAN take screenshots but was looking for something I can do quickly with one hand.

There's no "timing". Just press and hold both of them at the same time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, Google, where the gently caress are all my playlists?

E. Never mind, must have just been a temporary Play Music glitch

docbeard fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 10, 2017

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is there ny reason for Play Music to be running randomly? I use spotify almost exclusively and don't remember the last time i used Play Music, but it keeps appearing in active apps.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no "timing". Just press and hold both of them at the same time.

Huh that's weird, mine must be broke then because half the time I try to take a screenshot they don't register at the same time so I end up lowering the volume/changing ringer level. Seems like that would be a timing issue with me not hitting them at the exact same time.

Either way, my point still remains that I'd rather have an option that doesn't require me pressing the hardware buttons. There's a billion screenshot apps, was just hoping someone would have a recommendation.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Alternative pants posted:

Is there ny reason for Play Music to be running randomly? I use spotify almost exclusively and don't remember the last time i used Play Music, but it keeps appearing in active apps.

Are you subscribed to any podcasts? It could be checking for new ones in the background. Just a guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Sorry about your crippling arthritis, I guess?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Medullah posted:

Either way, my point still remains that I'd rather have an option that doesn't require me pressing the hardware buttons. There's a billion screenshot apps, was just hoping someone would have a recommendation.

Long press circle, scroll down, "Share screenshot". Doesn't work on the home screen though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'll be hiking the Appalachian Trail soon. I'll have my phone on airplane mode NATURALLY but it would be nice if Google Maps could track me for my time line. If I leave GPS on with airplane mode, do you know if it will?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

I'll be hiking the Appalachian Trail soon. I'll have my phone on airplane mode NATURALLY but it would be nice if Google Maps could track me for my time line. If I leave GPS on with airplane mode, do you know if it will?
I'm sure it will cache and sync when you get a connection (it doesn't work by uploading your location to the cloud every second so it's effectively always caching and uploading in batches) but this may not be perfectly reliable and there might be a limit to how much data it will cache.

You could alternatively use a fitness/tracking app like Strava to track your walking instead.

Also be aware that you'll need recent AGPS data to get a satellite lock so if you don't first get a GPS lock with an internet connection it can take about 20mins to download this data from the satellites before it will get a lock (the bandwidth on the GPS signal in tiny). If you can open Maps on wi-fi before you head out that should sort this out for you and Maps will lock quickly from then on.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 10, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Long press circle, scroll down, "Share screenshot". Doesn't work on the home screen though.

Thanks, that works much better. Appreciate it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry about your crippling arthritis, I guess?

I feel like you're not actually being sympathetic here.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey Pixel People, do you find that widgets on the Pixel Launcher stop working after a while?

I've got three widgets on three screens, Dashclock (1), Flamingo (2), ADW Agenda (3). Now of those, Dashclock seems to work fine, updating when one of the elements changes, but Flamingo and to a lesser extent ADW aren't doing so good. Flamingo will completely stop updating every few days unless I open the app. I can still scroll it but buttons don't work (Refresh and the title bar opening the app, neither do anything at all). ADW's a little better as it at least updates every time an event passes, but similar to Flamingo, I can scroll the agenda but I can't use any of the buttons.

Dashclock, for what it's worth, always seems to work fine. Tapping on any of the elements results in that app opening all the time. Also in Flamingo and ADW, tapping on the scrollable elements also work. Tapping on a tweet opens the tweet and tapping on a calendar entry opens that entry. Despite this, the UI elements of the widget itself will remain unresponsive.

I can get the Flamingo widget UI to work after a while by opening the app itself from the app drawer but it won't work for long and it will stop updating in a couple days. Nothing helps the ADW widget (but then I don't need it to, it's only for looking at).

Anyone else seen anything similar? I don't use enough widgets to know if it's the launcher, the widgets, or the apps. I also didn't have this problem under Nova on my Nexus 5 but I wasn't using Flamingo then, just the ADW Twitter widget.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Is this a Pixel thing or an Android thing? Doesn't seem to do anything on my Nexus 5x.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Any alternative app stores worth checking out beyond Amazons (which, while having less apps, has a bunch of Google Play paid apps for free)?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Hey Pixel People, do you find that widgets on the Pixel Launcher stop working after a while?

I've got three widgets on three screens, Dashclock (1), Flamingo (2), ADW Agenda (3). Now of those, Dashclock seems to work fine, updating when one of the elements changes, but Flamingo and to a lesser extent ADW aren't doing so good. Flamingo will completely stop updating every few days unless I open the app. I can still scroll it but buttons don't work (Refresh and the title bar opening the app, neither do anything at all). ADW's a little better as it at least updates every time an event passes, but similar to Flamingo, I can scroll the agenda but I can't use any of the buttons.

Dashclock, for what it's worth, always seems to work fine. Tapping on any of the elements results in that app opening all the time. Also in Flamingo and ADW, tapping on the scrollable elements also work. Tapping on a tweet opens the tweet and tapping on a calendar entry opens that entry. Despite this, the UI elements of the widget itself will remain unresponsive.

I can get the Flamingo widget UI to work after a while by opening the app itself from the app drawer but it won't work for long and it will stop updating in a couple days. Nothing helps the ADW widget (but then I don't need it to, it's only for looking at).

Anyone else seen anything similar? I don't use enough widgets to know if it's the launcher, the widgets, or the apps. I also didn't have this problem under Nova on my Nexus 5 but I wasn't using Flamingo then, just the ADW Twitter widget.

I have not had any widget issues on my Pixel XL but I don't use very many, just SoundHound, Today calendar, and Tapet.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

Is this a Pixel thing or an Android thing? Doesn't seem to do anything on my Nexus 5x.

It's an Android thing. Pressing the "Share" button should allow you to send the screenshot to another app.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a good app that lets me change the volume for ringtones/notifications individually? Like , I want X app at 50% volume while having Y app at 80%?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Uthor posted:

I'm on a Pixel so can't​ directly answer your question, but make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom. It's the last thing below all the context sensitive stuff that holding circle brings up.

Also, as noted before, it doesn't work on the home screen. Try it in an app.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's a Google Now on Tap thing - hold the Home circle, it does its thing then hit the Share button at the very bottom. Works on the home screen too! But you'll have to actually share it to something if you want to keep it, it doesn't just save in the Screenshots folder like the button combo

If you're having trouble with the buttons at the same time, make sure you press power before the volume one. You still need to be pretty quick but it seems more forgiving

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

baka kaba posted:

It's a Google Now on Tap thing

Oh okay. I have that turned off (and can't remember how to turn it back on). Holding the circle pulls up the Google Assistant.

I still loving hate how Google has like three different assistant type systems on my phone at the same time.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Assistant has the same feature though, you just have to swipe up to get the Share Screenshot option.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 10, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have "screen context" turned off, so it doesn't do anything for me.

Guess that's why I'm not seeing anything.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Speaking of Pixel and screenshots, I just played around with the assistant and had a WTF?! moment.
Asking it "Show me how to take a screenshot"

versus "Show me how to take screenshot" (notice the missing "a")

I don't have any Apple devices and don't follow any Apple related news or search for any Apple related information. Why on earth would it suggest information from support.apple.com, just because I leave out the "a"?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It just ran a search on the second phrase because it couldn't parse it conversationally

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Are there any good picture password lock apps? I saw a long time ago that there was a great one on some blackberry phone but gently caress me if you think I'm going to buy a blackberry for that.

I've tried a few and they all seem to fail at the crucial task of actually acting like a lock. Is this just impossible if not done by whoever is making the phone?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

Are there any good picture password lock apps? I saw a long time ago that there was a great one on some blackberry phone but gently caress me if you think I'm going to buy a blackberry for that.

I've tried a few and they all seem to fail at the crucial task of actually acting like a lock. Is this just impossible if not done by whoever is making the phone?

Related question: is there a way to replace the mandatory (for certificate) system lock with a third party screen lock of any kind?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Arcanen posted:

Any alternative app stores worth checking out beyond Amazons (which, while having less apps, has a bunch of Google Play paid apps for free)?

F-Droid for open-source stuff.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Is there any way to force your phone (galaxy 7 edge) to continue playing whatever audio you have going while on a call? My wife and I work work out together, and we want to be able to listen to music on our headphones but be connected on a call to speak to each other. Think like comms in a sci fi movie.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Weather Live is currently free. I used to use this app back when I was on iOS, so I'm glad to have it on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Does anybody have any recommendations for an app that plays local music? The OP listed a few, but it didn't have much to say about them, and I was hoping somebody would be knowledgeable enough to be able to say "Oh yeah, this one's great compared to most of the crap out there, I use it all the time." Or is local music playing something nobody gives a poo poo about anymore?