Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I think the idea is that it's supposed to be a mouse or touch screen alternative but yeah I don't know if we're there yet in terms of hardware or application within Sony-backed or endorsed software. It's surprisingly responsive if you use it as a mouse cursor in Windows though.

The steam controller probably gets the closest, my friend swears by it but I'm not sold, especially since it's on a platform that very much supports keyboard and mouse

E: I guess the irony here is that the DS4 touchpad is actually really neat outside of Sony's own ecosystem lol

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqMPHpKtcJA

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes I just want to play an awful game, a real piece of poo poo, ya know? So I played Arcania (formerly known as Gothic 4) and man that must have been a tax scam or something, I refuse to believe anyone involved with it had played the earlier games, or any games ever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As a touchpad, I've only found the DS4 big mashy button useful on PC for occasional mouse stuff when I'm playing a game. It's kinda funny and inoffensive to me otherwise. However, I am an ardent believer in the DS4 being the best controller in existence, comfort and button-wise, so I may be biased.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
DS4 controller is currently my favorite as well. I had an XBONE one but it felt cheaper and one of the triggers randomly popped off so gently caress that fifty dollar piece of poo poo and its weird rear end triggers

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Sometimes I just want to play an awful game, a real piece of poo poo, ya know? So I played Arcania (formerly known as Gothic 4) and man that must have been a tax scam or something, I refuse to believe anyone involved with it had played the earlier games, or any games ever.

that game was made in blender. like literally it's made in the blender game engine

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I never have problems with any controllers these days. All modern controllers feel fine to me.

Haven't tried a steam controller though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I took the Xbone controller's sticks and put them on my DS4 and now it is probably my favorite controller ever save for the stupid useless touch bar gimmick. I am thinking of going in with like paperclips or something and changing the sensitivity on the L2/R2 buttons so they are actually buttons and not those ugly mushy triggers that have been all the rage since the 360.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Analog triggers are cool

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That reminds me, I wonder if doing the PSP stick mod to my new XL is worth it

Not enough games might use it to justify voiding the warranty but i am an idiot so

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

KingSlime posted:

That reminds me, I wonder if doing the PSP stick mod to my new XL is worth it

Not enough games might use it to justify voiding the warranty but i am an idiot so

I wouldn't think it would void the warranty since you don't have to open the 3DS. Anyway, I did it. It made the stick slightly less of a pain to use in MonHun for me but it's not a game changer.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah then I might just pass if it's not a huge deal.

Persona 5 chat:

Woooow, the scene at the end of the first chapter where Kamoshida comes clean is pretty intense, I continue to be amazed at how great the storytelling is here in contrast to other RPGs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Sometimes I just want to play an awful game, a real piece of poo poo, ya know?
Me too, and as of a half hour ago, i finished Shadow Warrior 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Me too, and as of a half hour ago, i finished Shadow Warrior 2013

I was going to disagree but then I remembered that man that game gets fuckin' bad in the last couple stages. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at least in the last stage your sword defeats enemies in 1 slash instead of three hundred thousand

but then they make you fight the same boss like 3 or 4 times

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those big taller-than-you dudes that can only be damaged on their back in a game where your main weapons are a sword and non-projectile guns.... god drat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

and then they made SW2 lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Those big taller-than-you dudes that can only be damaged on their back in a game where your main weapons are a sword and non-projectile guns.... god drat
they're really bad and then they throw multiple ones at you lol

But seriously why is every encounter gated and why are they always like five waves that take forever

at least the back half of the game had more coherent level design than the first half

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Shadow Warrior 2013 and Hard Reset are games whose flaws were much easier to forgive in a pre-Wolfenstein/Doom reboots era.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it turns out i've beaten 98 indie games that were made in 2016. stardew would be #99 whenever i beat that

i'm gonna play diaries of a spaceport janitor so i guess that'll be #100?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was badass when hard reset redux gave you a katana, right at the one wave where you fight literally nothing but little guys that explode when you hit them

shadow warrior got pretty bad towards the end but goddamn hard reset was just aggressively bland and i did not bother with the extra story dlc

also why would you ever gently caress up the analog on your triggers unless you just don't play any games that make use of the analog sensitivity

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

bloodychill posted:

I wouldn't think it would void the warranty since you don't have to open the 3DS. Anyway, I did it. It made the stick slightly less of a pain to use in MonHun for me but it's not a game changer.

I tried to do it for this reason but after like a month of not shipping my order I cancelled it and gave up. I barely play MHGen any more anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

let it die is an abortion of game design

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im looking for the name of an old game where you find waveforms that are incomming
your main display is a rainbow spectrum of all the waveforms incomming and you have to find the emitters by looking at this display and listening to them
the game's screen is broken up into two sections, on the left is how close the waveforms are to you, and on the right is a ranbow 2d display where you see the combination of all the waveforms and you have to find em and as soon as you touch your mouse to them they are destroyed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I heard about this when they were doing the initial location tests a few years ago! Very weird.

It's basically Left 4 Dead 2, but all the survivors are replaced by a new, Japanese-speaking cast, all the cool zombie gore is disabled and there's a big-rear end time limit to force you to shove more coins in. Also it's controlled by a Razer mouse and a Wiimote-style nunchuck.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Most Castlevanias are in fact not castlevanias.

Yeah, people only think of symphony of the night but most of the Castlevania games are platform side scrollers with linear levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, people only think of symphony of the night but most of the Castlevania games are platform side scrollers with linear levels.

Is that actually true anymore? There were so many "Metroidvania" Castlevanias made for GBA and DS that they might outnumber the classic linear platformers. Maybe. I actually don't know, there are a lot of Castlevania games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Is that actually true anymore? There were so many "Metroidvania" Castlevanias made for GBA and DS that they might outnumber the classic linear platformers. Maybe. I actually don't know, there are a lot of Castlevania games.

I think they might be relatively evenly split between 2D linear sidescrollers, 2D exploration sidescrollers, and 3D action games, with the 3D action games being outnumbered definitely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So call them Metroidphonies then

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Including SotN there have been 7 which is still a good amount less than the classic style ones I'm fairly certain.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There were 6 (CV1-4, Bloodlines and Rondo) unless you also count the portables

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just preordered a SNES game on Amazon.

Harrow posted:

I'd say that they're about even, there's a lot of obscure classicvanias, though. I will say that when the 3DS Lords of Shadow was coming out a lot of people who didn't necessarily pay attention to where the series was going were always super disappointed to find out it was going to play nothing like the GBA/DS titles.

Nate RFB posted:

Including SotN there have been 7 which is still a good amount less than the classic style ones I'm fairly certain.

I think you're forgetting the PS2 games.

Too many people forget the PS2 games.

Also what Castlevania II is is debatable.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

im looking for the name of an old game where you find waveforms that are incomming
your main display is a rainbow spectrum of all the waveforms incomming and you have to find the emitters by looking at this display and listening to them
the game's screen is broken up into two sections, on the left is how close the waveforms are to you, and on the right is a ranbow 2d display where you see the combination of all the waveforms and you have to find em and as soon as you touch your mouse to them they are destroyed

found it
http://www.blonzonics.us/games/frequon-invaders/windows

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

There were 6 (CV1-4, Bloodlines and Rondo) unless you also count the portables
If we don't count portables then there's only been one IGAvania anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

*screeching internally*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Nuoh my god

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hey speaking of these, sort of, Rain World on pc got a patch last week to smooth out a lot of rough edges and hopefully make it more enjoyable for people so maybe check it out now if you were waiting for that. It's still relentlessly hosed on purpose but maybe in a way that is less frustrating?

It's not really a metroidvania because your character doesn't get any stronger as you go, instead it's you the player who improves by learning about the world and your slug cat's capabilities. I finished it last week before persona came out but I'm still reading threads about it on other sites and keep learning crazy new things about it. Really cool game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Great, that's like one in the morning.

• Locked thread