Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
could tell trouble was on the horizon when the iPhone SE's relative success took Apple by surprise, and you could tell they didn't really understand why people wanted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

all i want in a new mbp is touchid, a physical escape key, and at least one usb-c port on each side

hope you don't mind last year's lower midrange chips and only enough PCIe lanes to run one of those USB-C/Thunderbolt ports at full speed. :laugh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

all i want in a new mbp is touchid, a physical escape key, and at least one usb-c port on each side
they're gonna find a way to make the keys on the keyboard worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

hope you don't mind last year's lower midrange chips and only enough PCIe lanes to run one of those USB-C/Thunderbolt ports at full speed. :laugh:

things i use ports for on my mbp:

charging my phone

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ufarn posted:

they're gonna find a way to make the keys on the keyboard worse

you mean touchboard

ufarn
May 30, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

you mean touchboard
the touchboard air pro es

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Doc Block posted:

apple in the 201X is all about conservative engineering paired with revolutionary gimmicks that are either useless or an actual impediment to functionality

...and sku creep

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the 2015 mbp was the last good macbook

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm used to my new keyboard but every time I go back to my desktop kb it's like, "wow, this is nice"

so IMO long term it's not bad but it's still not as good as a real keyboard

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doc Block posted:

could tell trouble was on the horizon when the iPhone SE's relative success took Apple by surprise, and you could tell they didn't really understand why people wanted them.

they still don't have enough of them.

i took mine in today because the touch input completely stopped working last night and they gave it back to me only kind of working (touchid busted, calibration is off so typing is hosed up) because they didn't have any in stock to swap for it. They are having to overnight one of only four replacement phones within 200miles.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

I'm used to my new keyboard but every time I go back to my desktop kb it's like, "wow, this is nice"

so IMO long term it's not bad but it's still not as good as a real keyboard

so in short it is a laptop keyboard

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the iphone se is the best phone on the market

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Doc Block posted:

as a matter of fact i don't

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
You are the ideal customer

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i asked for a 2015 MBP when I switched jobs a month ago so I guess I'm part of the problem

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
between me, my wife and my parents, we have a iphone 5 and three SEs (2 x 16gb, 1 x 128gb), i like that we can help apple realize how dumb it is to make phones bigger than the 5/5s/SE size

e: wait, no, four SEs, theres another one on our dining room table that doesnt yet have a SIM, which we will give to my mother-in-law next time we visit my wifes family

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 10, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have an iphone 7

was worried about the larger size at first but it hasn't been an issue at all. got some wireless earbuds too

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Lysidas posted:

between me, my wife and my parents, we have a iphone 5 and three SEs (2 x 16gb, 1 x 128gb), i like that we can help apple realize how dumb it is to make phones bigger than the 5/5s/SE size

e: wait, no, four SEs, theres another one on our dining room table that doesnt yet have a SIM, which we will give to my mother-in-law next time we visit my wifes family

a cool & good family

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

mishaq posted:

the iphone se is the best phone on the market

love mine

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I still have a 5S and I am still waiting for a compelling reason to "upgrade" to a SE or future SE variant

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

I still have a 5S and I am still waiting for a compelling reason to "upgrade" to a SE or future SE variant

your 5s battery is probably shot at this point and the se is so fast

get one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Linguica posted:

this was me, then someone lifted my 5s, so now i guess i have a reason

the storage refresh release only updated the storage on the se, not any other internals right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

i self replaced the battery on my 5s so im daring apple to make something to make me upgrade it

also low power mode rules

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i considered that, but there's some difficulty in getting apple oem batteries, and i'm not trusting some random knockoff in a device that sits directly next to my genitals all day

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

this was me, then someone lifted my 5s, so now i guess i have a reason

the storage refresh release only updated the storage on the se, not any other internals right?

correct

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

a few days old but didn't see this itt

it's me, im the guy that ordered a 2015 rmbp thats sitting on a shelf until my 2013 dies

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i considered that, but there's some difficulty in getting apple oem batteries, and i'm not trusting some random knockoff in a device that sits directly next to my genitals all day

apple replacing your battery in store is $79 and a new 32 GB se is $399

get an se :getin:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mishaq posted:

apple replacing your battery in store is $79 and a new se is $399

ifixit kits are like 20bux

ufarn
May 30, 2009
my mba has yet to blow up, but the ifixit battery capacity seems lacklustre fwiw

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

graph posted:

it's me, im the guy that ordered a 2015 rmbp thats sitting on a shelf until my 2013 dies

enjoy your donglebook in a few years when everything good is usb-c :smug:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the SE has much better battery life than the 5s. it's probably worth upgrading just for that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
quick reminder that the iphone se is still too big and has a verison of ios later than 5, making it basically an android phone

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Stymie posted:

quick reminder that the iphone se is still too big and has a verison of ios later than 5, making it basically an android phone

i too would like to have a phone easily cracked by the intelligence services.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boiled Water posted:

i too would like to have a phone easily cracked by the intelligence services.

actually i have an uncrackable phone here, it's right next to my unicorn and dongle-free apple product roadmap

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if the intelligence services, or even the police, find they have a reason to crack your phone, you already have far bigger problems than whether it's trivial for them to do so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
se must own coz my 5s owns already

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but I do need a case. second cracked screen :/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

echinopsis posted:

i have this on my phone and it's amazing

http://www.techarmor.com/tech-armor...-packaging.html

co-worker had one, left his phone on his trunk, fell off, hit but only the protector was hosed

goes on really nice

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

stop loving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

se must own coz my 5s owns already