Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Why would anyone go to that poo poo? Everything about law school is such a joke.

Today I drove 75 miles to do a single resentencing and the client didn't even show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tokelau All Star posted:

Why would anyone go to that poo poo? Everything about law school is such a joke.

Today I drove 75 miles to do a single resentencing and the client didn't even show up.

Getting drunk and heckling law revue was one of life's simple pleasures.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Roger_Mudd posted:

"gently caress YOU" twice

TWICE!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nice piece of fish posted:

I can somewhat understand leaving a lovely job, but at least leave it for something equal or better. It took me three years to even begin to get my legs under myself properly for litigation, and I had a great starting point. If I came straight from some in-house position I would have been eaten alive.

Do y'all people not have ethics rules? Doing this (in front of witnesses) would be an almost guaranteed bollocking by the bar association disciplinary board. I mean, it's not "loss of licence" bad, but still, why even go there.
There was a local practice direction not long ago about civility in the criminal bar, apparently people had been overheard calling Crown Counsel (prosecutors) "Fascists," "or worse". It wasn't me. It was me, or, more accurately I do this all the time. I don't think it was me in particular.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nichol posted:

There was a local practice direction not long ago about civility in the criminal bar, apparently people had been overheard calling Crown Counsel (prosecutors) "Fascists," "or worse". It wasn't me. It was me, or, more accurately I do this all the time. I don't think it was me in particular.

Hah! Fun fact, in Sweden, the fasces is literally a part of the official police emblem.

CaptainScraps posted:

I cannot even begin to fathom what the gently caress I did to make everything go this batshit.

1) Mom and Dad are prescribed to go to conflict counseling.
2) Dad is a shitlord crazy person.
3) Dad blows off conflict counseling and his drug test until trial.
4) I'm pounding Dad in trial and the Judge stops it, pulls the lawyers into the back and says "This is horseshit, Mom's on the track to get sole conservatorship and Dad to have supervised visitation forever and it's going to gently caress up this kid. I'm recessing trial, he needs to take his classes and come back in 90 days. Mediate before then. He pays for everything.
5) They go to the conflict counseling.
6) Conflict counselor calls the court, says "Dad's loving crazy" and the Court forwards the voicemail to me.
7) Judge says "You now have an emergency hearing at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow, see you then counselors."

Wow, that's intense. Similarly, my previously posted idiot client who got a child taken away from them had me file an emergency petition for a child protective tribunal hearing. Can't very well dump them as a client, because they'd be hosed getting another lawyer for a tribunal case during spring break, and also there goes my week of vacation mother gently caress a duck. I'm spending most of next week now in emergency litigation and immediate appeal (loving fast-track system bullshit). I don't have time for this poo poo. I have clients paying real money waiting in line (public assistance pays quite poorly these days). At least I can pretend to be a good person for a while, I hope.

On the other hand, I have a job. Which is always something to remember and be thankful for.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hah! Fun fact, in Sweden, the fasces is literally a part of the official police emblem.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Wow, you all are a bunch of fascists.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh look, a preview of monday's tribunal

Tribunal chairman

My closing argument

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

CaptainScraps posted:

I cannot even begin to fathom what the gently caress I did to make everything go this batshit.

1) Mom and Dad are prescribed to go to conflict counseling.
2) Dad is a shitlord crazy person.
3) Dad blows off conflict counseling and his drug test until trial.
4) I'm pounding Dad in trial and the Judge stops it, pulls the lawyers into the back and says "This is horseshit, Mom's on the track to get sole conservatorship and Dad to have supervised visitation forever and it's going to gently caress up this kid. I'm recessing trial, he needs to take his classes and come back in 90 days. Mediate before then. He pays for everything.
5) They go to the conflict counseling.
6) Conflict counselor calls the court, says "Dad's loving crazy" and the Court forwards the voicemail to me.
7) Judge says "You now have an emergency hearing at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow, see you then counselors."

The answer is cocaine. Cocaine is the cause and solution to all of your problems.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lote posted:

The answer is cocaine. Cocaine is the cause and solution to all of your problems.

More likely meth.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The worst part is that case isn't that crazy. Today I have to fight the tro in the case where mom assaulted Grandma because they charged her with loving burglary because she pushed the door open to get her kid.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Apparently the city I live in is stuck in the 80s with crack cocaine.

I'm at a lecture about Sov Cits. I'm actually kind of excited.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2021

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Finally get to do some defense work against a sov cit. The gravamen of his complaint is that calling him a "sovereign citizen" is defamation. Uh huh; maybe if you don't want to be called a sovereign citizen you shouldn't file photocopies of your footprints in court or file 9-figure liens against your phony businesses. Just a thought.

The satisfaction of a likely victory is offset by how unlikely it is this fucker will pony up the bux when he loses.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Unamuno posted:

Finally get to do some defense work against a sov cit. The gravamen of his complaint is that calling him a "sovereign citizen" is defamation. Uh huh; maybe if you don't want to be called a sovereign citizen you shouldn't file photocopies of your footprints in court or file 9-figure liens against your phony businesses. Just a thought.

The satisfaction of a likely victory is offset by how unlikely it is this fucker will pony up the bux when he loses.

Is any of this an exaggeration?

Unamuno
May 31, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

Is any of this an exaggeration?

Nope. He wants $1.8mm in damages for this "defamation" and refers to defendants as "international terrorists." Good times.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Unamuno posted:

Nope. He wants $1.8mm in damages for this "defamation" and refers to defendants as "international terrorists." Good times.

Is he going the full Firstname colon lastname (all in lower case)?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I want to know more about the photocopy of the footprint, it's the first I hear of this brand of crazy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FrozenVent posted:

I want to know more about the photocopy of the footprint, it's the first I hear of this brand of crazy.

yeah, I've seen blood thumbprints but never footprints. that's cool as heck

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

If you haven't, check this Canadian decision that goes through the sovereign citizen movement and just annihilates it.
https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Unamuno posted:

file 9-figure liens against your phony businesses.

What?...Why?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gonna guess there's some debt taken out in the business' name and the leins are an attempt to be a secured creditor for the business.

It's fraud all the way down.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

FrozenVent posted:

I assume it has to do with the fact that on birth certificates have baby footprints on it but those never come back into play for anything.

Having your footprint proves that you're that baby and individual, but not the person. The person has no baby footprint because the person is a corporation.

Edit:

It's also kinda fun to make up your own Sovereign Citizen argument. Basically you start with a conclusion, and then justify it by any means necessary. For example, the word judgment is a heterograph of "judge meant" showing that any time the word judgment is used, that lawyer or judge is interpreting the meaning of a prior judge's ruling. Summary "judge meant" is a way for the opposing lawyer to inject their own meaning into stopping your case. Therefore, only accept when the lawyer or judge uses the word "ruling".

Lote fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 9, 2017

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

A sovereign person can't be ruled over! That's what ruling means. It would have to be 'decision' but those are decisions in those other cases. Also the court has no jurisdiction.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I know this is conspiracy think 101, but I'm still constantly amazed this bullshit keeps getting pulled when there is a 0% success rate.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

LeschNyhan posted:

A sovereign person can't be ruled over! That's what ruling means. It would have to be 'decision' but those are decisions in those other cases. Also the court has no jurisdiction.

Excuse me, but everyone knows a "decision" is just the judge's personal opinion about your case. If you accept that decision, that's when you create joinder with the court. For it to be binding, it must be a "writ" signed by the reigning Serjeant-at-Law for this territory (of which there isn't one). Therefore, this court has no jurisdiction and - hey...quit grabbing me officer I am talking to the court and I refuse to create joinder with you - *BZZZT*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

I know this is conspiracy think 101, but I'm still constantly amazed this bullshit keeps getting pulled when there is a 0% success rate.

except in traffic cases or evictions or foreclosures or god knows what else where the intent is to delay and it has a 100% success rate. I've actually lost motions against these people where the judge had it out for my case and it didn't matter what they filed so long as they put words on paper.

and since most of this stuff can be copied and pasted from online sources it's not nearly as hard as coming up with it yourself like truly insane pro ses.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Going into my last summer of (Canadian) law school, it looks like I'll likely have two options for summer work since I missed out on biglaw recruitment. Looking for opinions

1) A solo, former biglaw partner in Montreal that is quite respected in IP, and well-connected. I'll likely get better/more interesting work but worried about doubling down on a specialization this early. Part time but pays pretty well. I would also possibly be able to work at a legal clinic associated with the school at the same time, though that's not a guarantee.
2) A small real estate firm in Toronto (5-10 lawyers). Relative to 1, the experience will probably be more general/corporate in nature, but also likely more admin stuff. Full time, lower pay.

I'm leaning 1, but want to make sure I'm not being stupid.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

except in traffic cases or evictions or foreclosures or god knows what else where the intent is to delay and it has a 100% success rate. I've actually lost motions against these people where the judge had it out for my case and it didn't matter what they filed so long as they put words on paper.

and since most of this stuff can be copied and pasted from online sources it's not nearly as hard as coming up with it yourself like truly insane pro ses.

Jup. Not in the US, but this is the most common example over here. I've actually got an impending ruling on court cost compensation from one of these (successful) attempts at stalling an eviction through filing a (vexatious) motion for a special process (for which the rear end in a top hat obviously had no standing). Of course, the motion was immediately slapped down and I've an obscure statute that allows me to file for compensation for my client over this crap, but they used the filing itself as grounds for suspending the eviction temporarily. Any temporary suspension in an eviction process is supposed to be subject to legal review by the case handler, but wouldn't you loving know it they accepted the rather obviously idiotic motion as grounds for suspension - in direct violation of procedure I might add.

It gets done because you can sometimes get some sort of result. Even if it doesn't, people still belive stupid crap in opposition of direct and irrefutable evidence. It's probably not ever going away, either.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Pure opinion, but it's probably going to get worse. You'll always have disaffected people looking for a quick fix, a certain percentage are desperate and a certain percentage of those are willing to engage in near-magical thinking. Easier access to the Internet is only going to get more exposure.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

WaveLength posted:

Going into my last summer of (Canadian) law school, it looks like I'll likely have two options for summer work since I missed out on biglaw recruitment. Looking for opinions

1) A solo, former biglaw partner in Montreal that is quite respected in IP, and well-connected. I'll likely get better/more interesting work but worried about doubling down on a specialization this early. Part time but pays pretty well. I would also possibly be able to work at a legal clinic associated with the school at the same time, though that's not a guarantee.
2) A small real estate firm in Toronto (5-10 lawyers). Relative to 1, the experience will probably be more general/corporate in nature, but also likely more admin stuff. Full time, lower pay.

Working for a solo is always the worst.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

WaveLength posted:

Which one will offer you an articling gig?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

olylifter posted:

Which one will offer you an articling gig?

Probably neither but,

1) the IP solo is 100% not, but I'm eligible for big law recruitment in Montreal again next year (had interest but got shut out in final rounds) and a recommendation from the guy would likely carry weight

2) the small real estate firm, most likely not, but it's in Toronto so I'd be able to better network there for organized articling recruitment over the summer. But the principal is a family friend so who knows

Im also exploring other options but that's what I have on deck so far. Thankfully I have no debt lol

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It's not really answerable by us. Whether 1 is a good idea or not entirely hinges on who you'd be working for / with, whether he's going to be crazy or abusive or just garden variety neglectful. I don't know many people who articled for solos and had it be a good time, but if he's a good lawyer and good guy and you get along and will get good work delegated to you in an appropriate way it could be OK. It's like asking us if you want to partner up with someone, the question is necessarily going to be "well, who's the partner"?

2 is almost definitely the safer bet

Unamuno
May 31, 2003

Lote posted:

Is he going the full Firstname colon lastname (all in lower case)?

Nah his name is spelled standardly, but this guy's complaint (25ish pages) contains more spelling/grammar errors, nonsense legal arguments and incoherence than, say, the several-hundred page complaint a pro bono client wrote by hand in a state prison law library.

Considering this guy's the plaintiff, I certainly hope he tries to claim that the court doesn't have jurisdiction over him. Though he'll probably wait til we succeed on anti-SLAPPing his face off to claim that the court has no jurisdiction over him.

Also, Non Serviam thanks for linking to that Canadian sovcit doc, fascinating stuff!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Who wants to feel lovely today:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/...v=top-news&_r=0

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

As if education wasn't a gamble already, let's add even more uncertainty to whether you can feed your family!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
lmao a third of a million dollars in debt. these people do it to themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Non Serviam posted:

As if education wasn't a gamble already, let's add even more uncertainty to whether you can feed your family!

please. they all spent 10 years making ibr/PAYE payments at 10-15% of their agi during their lowest earning years. worst case they continue doing that for another 10-15 years, it's not like they're going to go destitute (until the debt forgiveness tax bill hits and they have to declare bankruptcy).

it'll be pretty funny if a court somehow requires people to make a showing that they would have gotten higher paying jobs elsewhere but chose not to for debt forgiveness, because that'd be an insurmountable hurdle.

and those doctors with 300k+ of debt are absolutely the ones who are going to get the program canceled or curtailed into uselessness like Obama proposed

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 10, 2017