Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I hope they release a Clowns in the Sky III and include the songs from the commercial bumper skeleton band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They seemed to be doing covers of songs from the old show.

Also, Joel mentioned that Rhino (maybe he meant Shout?) was going to be doing Cinematic Titanic releases, including live shows they never released on dvd.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

They seemed to be doing covers of songs from the old show.

Also, Joel mentioned that Rhino (maybe he meant Shout?) was going to be doing Cinematic Titanic releases, including live shows they never released on dvd.

Is the new season getting DVD releases eventually as well or will it remain an exclusive Netflix thing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It wasn't addressed tonight, but there were kickstarter rewards that included dvds, so probably they will be out eventually even though netflix is generally reluctant to do dvds for their shows (Jessica Jones dvds were announced like two years ago and still aren't anywhere near production).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd assume there's probably some kind of exclusivity deal with Netflix for now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Shout sets within a few years. They're running out of classic episodes for sets and the current "4 movies per set" standard would give them 3 or 4 new releases for the new show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Larryb posted:

Is the new season getting DVD releases eventually as well or will it remain an exclusive Netflix thing?

Yes, one of the rewards/items in their store is a "Season 11" box set.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

if anyone finds this gif, please post here - I almost jumped off the couch when I realized I had seen that face before
I don't know if this really need to be spoilered, but just in case...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe that guy was a Danish comedy sensation. The war must have wrecked them something fierce.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't believe that guy was a Danish comedy sensation. The war must have wrecked them something fierce.

It did!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
As someone familiar with the movie that provides the basis of the pilot episode for this season, it's actually quite interesting to read about how and why that movie exists.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know if this really need to be spoilered, but just in case...

Thanks, I saw that and knew I recognized it from somewhere. Kinda surprised Jonah and the bots didn't point it out.

Edit: And maybe we already knew this, but I was happy to see Paul Chaplin's name in the writing credits. Poor guy kind of dropped off the face of the earth after the show ended its SyFy run.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 10, 2017

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jack Gladney posted:

What's wrong with Danish comedy relief guy we like him very much!

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The in-theatre stuff was perfect, and this will probably go down as the only Kickstarter worth a gently caress. The line delivery in the SoL was a little flat, but I think we can look forward to 3-5 seasons of this show.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 just released "Post-Screening Q&A w/ Joel and the Cast".

Video is up for backers who missed it yesterday (I did). I'm sure it'll be insanely hard to watch with very embarrassing and terrible questions.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well it seems I'm in the minority but I'm not really digging this at all. The opening was terrible. The new theme song is awful. The whole fake band thing is dumb. The new voice actors for the robots are terrible and plain. The riffs are bad, both in content and even the timing is off. The host is awful. The new mads are awful.

It's a good thing I didn't back this poo poo and that it's free on Netflix.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Video is up for backers who missed it yesterday (I did). I'm sure it'll be insanely hard to watch with very embarrassing and terrible questions.

Naw, there were plenty of smart people -- the entire cast, in fact (sans Patton) -- to brush off or mock anything terrible.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well it seems I'm in the minority but I'm not really digging this at all. The opening was terrible. The new theme song is awful. The whole fake band thing is dumb. The new voice actors for the robots are terrible and plain. The riffs are bad, both in content and even the timing is off. The host is awful. The new mads are awful.

I didn't like the big ol' Whil Wheaton intro stuff. They don't give the mads/commercial break segments very much time everything seemed rushed. The two bot voice actors seems a bit too similar. The mouth movements on the silhouettes looked really half-assed and seems to be not synced up right. I enjoyed the show I just hope this is all newbie mistakes and fumbles of the new crew getting used to things. The monster song was great and having relevant modern day references goes a long way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

They're a real band that has like five albums.

Also, how did you see it if you didn't back the kickstarter?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jose Oquendo posted:

How do you enjoy life?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The Q&A gave me the impression that the faster riff pace is going to be the new normal. On a second watch I found the pacing wasn't so jarring so I think I'll be fine with it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jack Gladney posted:

Also, how did you see it if you didn't back the kickstarter?

Yeah, I think ol' Jose better answer that one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I don't see a star next to your name. But to answer your question a friend/co-worker backed it and we watched it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Seemed just like the classic MST3k to me, which is the best compliment I can give it. Lots of charm and that monster song was great.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I think I'd probably give the episode a grade of a solid "B" overall. The intro definitely felt too forced/long and while I do like Tom's and Crow's new voices they do sound a lot more similar than I was expecting, which sometimes made it hard to know who was delivering the riff in the theater. The convoluted way they now control the puppets seemed to give problems with Crow and Gypsy's mouth movements in particular -- they weren't as synched/pronounced as they were in the original series.

The riffing was overall good but the faster pace may take some getting used to. The movie choice was great. Kind of a dry ho-hum movie with Dutch people that goes completely off the loving rails whenever the monster shows up

Overall I think it's a solid return with some great potential going forward. I think it should be best compared with episodes 101 and 801, and in that regard, I think it's the best episode of the three.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nah, who cares? He didn't like it, and nearly everyone else did. Moving on.

A lot of people have mentioned the puppet mouth sync stuff and I wonder if that had a lot to do with the way they recorded everything. I'll be honest that I didn't really notice until my second watch because I don't normally throw but a casual glance at them in the theater during a movie unless there's obvious movement going on down there.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
My brief review is that the show is really back and it was a solid episode. Some of my old favorites are still better, in my opinion, but I wasn't expecting a Space Mutiny or a Devil Fish right out of the gate. The riffs were sharp and I was laughing through the whole thing. Oh, and the monster rap was fantastic and completely in line with classic MST3K.

I have fonder memories of the Mike years over the Joel years since I started watching during the Sci Fi era, but I'm totally on board with the invention exchange and letters returning. I have reservations towards Felicia Day since I really don't think she's a good actress, but I'm hopping Patton Oswalt can pick up the slack. The new bot voices are fine (Servo really picked things up from the early stuff) but I find Servo flying a little distracting. Gypsy dropping in a couple times was cute, though, and I'm glad she can get in on the riffing a little. It's like everything that I might nitpick has something else propping it up. My nostalgia fueled hesitation has been assuaged.

Based on a single episode, I'm giving a big thumbs up and I can't wait to see the rest of this season! :dance:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ComposerGuy posted:

Nah, who cares? He didn't like it, and nearly everyone else did. Moving on.

A lot of people have mentioned the puppet mouth sync stuff and I wonder if that had a lot to do with the way they recorded everything. I'll be honest that I didn't really notice until my second watch because I don't normally throw but a casual glance at them in the theater during a movie unless there's obvious movement going on down there.

I think a big problem with that is that I heard unlike the original show the voice actors aren't actually doing the puppeteering so that really won't ever seem as natural as it did.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Gypsy's first riff was golden.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

X-O posted:

I think a big problem with that is that I heard unlike the original show the voice actors aren't actually doing the puppeteering so that really won't ever seem as natural as it did.
The Voice Actors are still operating the mouths, via radio. If you watch the end of the QA you can see they have RC car remotes in hand. Some of HEnsons folks are doing the body operation. The originals bots were strings through the bodies with either elastic (Crow) or springs (Tom and Gypsy) for tension, so they had far more control over how much the mouth opens and when. I have confidence in the botbuilders to get the controls ironed out, if not in this season in the next.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

My brief review is that the show is really back and it was a solid episode. Some of my old favorites are still better, in my opinion, but I wasn't expecting a Space Mutiny or a Devil Fish right out of the gate. The riffs were sharp and I was laughing through the whole thing. Oh, and the monster rap was fantastic and completely in line with classic MST3K.

I have fonder memories of the Mike years over the Joel years since I started watching during the Sci Fi era, but I'm totally on board with the invention exchange and letters returning. I have reservations towards Felicia Day since I really don't think she's a good actress, but I'm hopping Patton Oswalt can pick up the slack. The new bot voices are fine (Servo really picked things up from the early stuff) but I find Servo flying a little distracting. Gypsy dropping in a couple times was cute, though, and I'm glad she can get in on the riffing a little. It's like everything that I might nitpick has something else propping it up. My nostalgia fueled hesitation has been assuaged.

Based on a single episode, I'm giving a big thumbs up and I can't wait to see the rest of this season! :dance:

Nobody on MST3K has ever been a good actor. Hokey and stagey is 100% of the charm.

This is the first time anyone on the show has actually been any kind of actor prior (or after, not counting Darkstar) to being on the show.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Also nitpicking a show on its very first episode (in decades) just sounds like a big First World Problem. We all should really just relax. :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Voicing a negative or ambivalent opinion is a first world problem, apparently.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I did have the Weird Al song of the same name stuck in my head when I woke up this morning. But this song is nicer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ae9uSCHL0U

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It just felt like MST3K to me, warts and all - which is pretty much exactly what was promised. Not a slick new production or a new take on an old classic, but basically, more of the same, with the requisite amount of growing pains, cheesiness, and funny riffs on a bad movie.

I laughed a lot, and it felt like a comfy old blanket. Totally worth the money I pledged. Can't wait to see the rest of them.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
How many episodes are coming out friday?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

14 hoping for season 2

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ballz posted:

I think I'd probably give the episode a grade of a solid "B" overall. The intro definitely felt too forced/long and while I do like Tom's and Crow's new voices they do sound a lot more similar than I was expecting, which sometimes made it hard to know who was delivering the riff in the theater. The convoluted way they now control the puppets seemed to give problems with Crow and Gypsy's mouth movements in particular -- they weren't as synched/pronounced as they were in the original series.

The riffing was overall good but the faster pace may take some getting used to. The movie choice was great. Kind of a dry ho-hum movie with Dutch people that goes completely off the loving rails whenever the monster shows up

Overall I think it's a solid return with some great potential going forward. I think it should be best compared with episodes 101 and 801, and in that regard, I think it's the best episode of the three.

I agree with most of this; it definitely felt like a solid "B" for me overall. The intro overstayed it's welcome quite a bit, and personally I was hoping to get a little more time with the Mads to get used to them. I was honestly not really digging things until the movie itself went off the rails, and that first host segment really sold me on the new season.

It was definitely promising though, and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the season to see if some of the kinks get ironed out.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Junkie Disease posted:

14 hoping for season 2

Yeah. Kickstarters at a certain level are getting them all tonight at midnight as streaming, and they'll be available for download Thursday.

I'll be watching starting tomorrow, but I'm also going to make sure to watch them all at least once on Netflix, because that's what is going to help get a season two. If you backed at the digital or DVD/Blu-Ray level but also have Netflix, watch it there!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

I agree with most of this; it definitely felt like a solid "B" for me overall. The intro overstayed it's welcome quite a bit, and personally I was hoping to get a little more time with the Mads to get used to them. I was honestly not really digging things until the movie itself went off the rails, and that first host segment really sold me on the new season.

It was definitely promising though, and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the season to see if some of the kinks get ironed out.

I didn't see the episode yet (too poor to back) but I'm wondering if the fact that the show can be binged played at all into how it was shot/directed (water the right term is). Maybe they figure people will get enough of the Mads over a few episodes? I dunno. Just spitballing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

If you backed at the digital or DVD/Blu-Ray level but also have Netflix, watch it there!

I agree, and it looks like Netflix gives you a free trial month if you're a new customer, so you can get a new MST3K season paying absolutely nothing.