Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Calibanibal posted:

honestly i agree with chairmaster. we need to start breeding programs for ourselves and other animals to adapt to the post-climate change world. Hairless amphibious cattle could take thousands of years to evolve, but we'll need them in 50 years

Shortcut: Breed manatees en masse. Harvest them for milk and meat. Develop manatee leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I look at all the beach towns like Larrabee in Washington, populated exclusively by dying boomers, and wonder at the ghost towns much of the USA will be regardless of how climate change progresses. A topic better fit for another thread, but this jostled my memory.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rime posted:

I look at all the beach towns like Larrabee in Washington, populated exclusively by dying boomers, and wonder at the ghost towns much of the USA will be regardless of how climate change progresses. A topic better fit for another thread, but this jostled my memory.

A great deal of the U.S. is already ghost towns. People are flocking to the cities while less urban areas are just plain dying. One of the real issues right now is that all of the places people actually want to live tend to not see enough development while everywhere else is just getting boarded up and abandoned. The coast is just another weird indicator of America's priorities, really; profit above all. Can't tell people that the house they bought will be underwater in a couple decades because then we won't be able to sell it! Can't build anything new in the desirable places because if we don't then the rent goes up! Genius!

Meanwhile that worthless coastal property is going to eventually be inherited by somebody. What the hell are they going to do with it?

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im just gonna genetically modify my kids to have gills so they can rule over the fish people who have taken over miami

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Demostrs posted:

im just gonna genetically modify my kids to have gills so they can rule over the fish people who have taken over miami

That's a disturbingly good idea. Let me know how it turns out.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Meanwhile that worthless coastal property is going to eventually be inherited by somebody. What the hell are they going to do with it?

Reclaim it by means of landfill, leaving the first submerged, then buried buildings for future archeologists to discover?
http://gizmodo.com/watch-new-york-city-s-boundaries-expand-over-250-years-496440467

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Accretionist posted:

Ever read up on the Free State Project? It's a constant push for Libertarians to move to NH so they can reach a critical mass and commandeer the state's politics. Thousands have moved and they've gotten people elected.

I want a left-wing version. Just get everyone in the country who wants state-level UHC, Norwegian-style prisons, etc. to move to one place and get it done.

This is why Cascadia is cool and good, sure we have to deal with the lolbertarians, but we can deal with that after the secession. :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

vermin posted:

Shortcut: Breed manatees en masse. Harvest them for milk and meat. Develop manatee leather.

How did you find out about my Rimworld base

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Every boomer returning to the Earth is a step forward for the planet.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mustached Demon posted:

Every boomer returning to the Earth is a step forward for the planet.

To what base uses we may return, Horatio. Why may not imagination trace the noble dust of Simon and Garfunkel till he find it stopping a bunghole?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

it will be interesting to see how humans and other animals evolve to deal with climate change. i predict most mammals lose all their body hair (too hot) and that many will adapt to amphibious lifestyles (webbed feet, dorsal nostrils etc)

More likely mammals and birds would become smaller, as higher temperatures make thermoregulation easier for endotherms at small body sizes. Conversely reptiles are likely to become larger, and more common. Drastic climate change might lead to more amphibious adaptations, but in previous mass extinctions existing air-breathing aquatic mega-fauna have been especially prone to extinction. Their relatively small populations and position high on the food chain make cetaceans and pinnipeds, like their predecessors the mosasaurus and ichthyosaurs, particularly vulnerable. Extinctions are just an opportunity for new evolution of course, so one would expect other orders to replace what is lost.

Reef building organisms also handle extinction events badly, and it is not unprecedented for reefs to disappear entirely for tens of millions of years, until something completely different can replace what was lost.

Mammals aren't losing their hair though lol that's silly what kind of dumb mammal doesn't have hair all over its body

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Squalid posted:

Mammals aren't losing their hair though lol that's silly what kind of dumb mammal doesn't have hair all over its body

Aquatic Ape believer spotted.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Even better news for the GBR

quote:

While severe bleaching events have occurred three other times in the past 20 years — in 1998, 2002 and 2016 — this year marks the first time it's known to have happened two years in a row. Scientists say the damage is caused by higher water temperatures due to global warming.

"It takes at least a decade for a full recovery of even the fastest growing corals, so mass bleaching events 12 months apart offers zero prospect of recovery for reefs that were damaged in 2016," said James Kerry, a senior research officer at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, in Queensland, Australia.

It was "shocking" to see the extent of the damage in a different section of the reef, Kerry added.

The damage last year was worst in the northern third of the massive reef. This year, it's most severe in the middle third of the reef. As Kerry explained, those areas of damage overlap somewhat so "some of the reefs now, in the central and northern section, have had a double dose of severe bleaching for two years in a row."

You can see how the impacted region has shifted in this map, released by the ARC Centre...

...A recently published study in Nature stated that local measures can ultimately do little to protect the reefs from bleaching. Securing a future for coral reefs "ultimately requires urgent and rapid action to reduce global warming."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
So basically they're going away for good

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I'm not even clear what we can do about it at this point. I'm not an expert, but if repairing the damage from bleaching events requires over a decade and these events are happening this rapidly then it seems like game over. Even crazy optimistic plans aren't going to actually reverse warming trends anytime soon.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FistEnergy posted:

So basically they're going away for good

Duh. We've known that for years.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
yeah the reef is gone. Even if we stop emissions today, the world will still heat up by half a degree. So anything dying now is definitely dead in twenty years

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Solution: Cut up all these reefs and move them into cooler waters. This serves the double purpose of saving the reefs and creating coastal defenses against future storms.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I visited the reef 2 years ago. Its a must see. Do it if and while you can. Do recommend.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Anyone know of any serious studies of the near and long term economic consequences of coral reef collapse?

There are a lot of articles and papers here and there that broadly cover impacts or point out specific consequences. And it isn't hard to find tidbits here and there that assign dollar amounts to every sq. km of reef loss or something like that. But I'm having a hard time finding anything where someone just straight up assumes "zero coral reefs" and then tries to assess the impact of that.

What will the impacts be to food security? What sort of ecosystems will replace reefs? What will be the knock off effects from that? If anyone has a link to like a review article or something similar on this topic I'd appreciate it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The reef collapse itself is just the canary for how bad ocean conditions are becoming for the aquatic foodchain. I've posted that site before which shows a lightmap of where fishing fleets are globally, but if ocean conditions worsen anymore you can expect that to march in lockstep.

The complete collapse of global fish stocks, and the associated ecosystem damage as well as a mass famine, are likely within as little as two decades at this point. Could be less, even, with how rapidly the Cod and Salmon fisheries vanished in North America.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

BattleMoose posted:

I visited the reef 2 years ago. Its a must see. Do it if and while you can. Do recommend.

No, don't fly halfway around the world, for any reason.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What kind of long-reaching effects would an ocean fishery collapse have?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

why would rising sea levels be bad for fish lol that makes no sense

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Calibanibal posted:

why would rising sea levels be bad for fish lol that makes no sense

I would imagine that any fresh water fish that are in bodies of water that get engulfed by sea water would mind.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also the sea water will be diluted with fresh water from the melting ice. And warmer waters is good for some fish, bad for others.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Here's more on how we're totally hosed

This study calculates that 4 million sq km of permafrost will thaw for each degree of Celsius increase over preindustrial levels.
There are approximately 19 million sq km of permafrost in the Northern Hemisphere.
2016 was roughly 1.1 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels.

So, that's already about 20% destined to thaw, and this will in all likelihood increase.

Oh, one other thing - permafrost in the Northern Hemisphere hold somewhere around 1 trillion tonnes of carbon locked away.

For comparison...
Earth's atmosphere: 5,148 trillion tonnes.
Mean molar mass of the atmosphere: 28.97g/mole
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) molar mass: 44.0095 g/mole
Atmospheric CO2 parts per million (ppm), March 2017: 407.05 ppm
Atmospheric CO2 mass, March 2017 (atmosphere mass * (carbon dioxide molar mass / atmosphere molar mass) * CO2 ppm): 3.18 trillion tonnes of CO2

Yikes...

Worse, notice that this wasn't carbon dioxide but simply carbon.
Carbon molar mass: 12.0107 g/mole
Carbon mass ratio of CO2 (carbon molar mass / CO2 molar mass): 27.29%
Atmospheric carbon (Atmospheric CO2 mass * Carbon mass ratio of CO2): 0.8679 trillion tonnes

:tif:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The last three posts in this thread before Evil Greven are a great example of :cripes:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I should start growing and burying bamboo.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well I say climate change-caused existential depression SHOULD be a valid reason to take a sick day, and I'm taking it to HR

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Placid Marmot posted:

No, don't fly halfway around the world, for any reason.

What if you used a boat

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Banana Man posted:

What if you used a boat

the GBR would be gone by the time he got there

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Banana Man posted:

What if you used a boat

Homemade, wind or human powered and likely to kill you is okay. Unless you summon help in which case all of your good intentions are overwhelmed by the rescue effort.

Do it in the dead of night and tell no one

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Just have somebody describe the reefs to you.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
https://www.google.com/maps/about/behind-the-scenes/streetview/treks/oceans/

There you go.

It's more realistic if you sit near the tub and dunk your head in intermittently.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
How the hell did they get the Google street car down there?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Getting it down there is probably easier than getting it up again.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Getting it down there is probably easier than getting it up again.

That's what she said :rimshot:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:neckbeard: More good news! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Even more fun is that, because of this, almost every single projection put out by the IPCC or the various National Climate Assessments are woefully conservative - even if we continue to roll out solar and wind at higher than expected rates. That is to say, the "absolute worst case scenario" entertained by most major governments and agencies is more like "haha we should be so lucky."

If we make it to 2050 and aren't facing a massive global refugee crisis and recurrent famines it'll be a loving miracle.