Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

ElGroucho posted:

LOL, bye United, it was nice knowing you

LOL if you think this will effect their bottom line for more than a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

LOL if you think this will effect their bottom line for more than a couple days.

I meant I'm not going to use them, on account of valuing my face

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

LOL, bye United, it was nice knowing you

Hahaha, nope! Not even close. This will be forgotten in week or two only to be brought up in passing the next time they do something stupid.

edit:

ElGroucho posted:

I meant I'm not going to use them, on account of valuing my face

Ah, that makes more sense.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ravenkult posted:

Oh okay then they did a good job of it

Did I say that? No. Just don't represent the situation as "Lol United employees wanted a vacay." There's enough poo poo to fling at them without falsely representing the situation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's some new lovely thing that an airline did every week, so I doubt United will be impacted. This one is worse than the others for sure, but who can even remember which airline did which lovely thing anymore.

They definitely should not have called the police to forcibly solve a logistics problem for them though. If no one wants your $800 coupon, then you offer $800 cash.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

There's some new lovely thing that an airline did every week, so I doubt United will be impacted. This one is worse than the others for sure, but who can even remember which airline did which lovely thing anymore.

They definitely should not have called the police to forcibly solve a logistics problem for them though. If no one wants your $800 coupon, then you offer $800 cash.

The 'United breaks guitars' thing is pretty memorable because the song went viral and United took forever to respond, and the stock dropped 10% which was like $180 million dollars. That and the negative PR basically undid millions of dollars that United spends on advertising with a negative image.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Meanwhile, Virgin America, the only good airline, gets bought out by another airline.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

The 'United breaks guitars' thing is pretty memorable because the song went viral and United took forever to respond, and the stock dropped 10% which was like $180 million dollars. That and the negative PR basically undid millions of dollars that United spends on advertising with a negative image.

The stock price thing was just a rumor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The hoops some of y'all will jump through to defend lovely companies is amazing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Sure he was taken off an airplane and beaten but I think you'll find that the technicality of trespassing that you can see if you squint really hard as well as him being a minor inconvenience justify it and furthermore

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know how to feel about this. Dude's a piece of poo poo, but I don't quite know how big of a piece of poo poo. A fairly sizeable piece is what my guts telling me.

He's a YouTube comedian doing a skit, so while he is indeed a piece of poo poo it's not for the reasons you were thinking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, I thought it was weird that a criminal would care if they were being filmed at an ATM since they know no one is ever actually watching them. Or will watch them unless something is reported.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think this guy's gonna get a nice settlement as a part of this, and he deserves one, because United is gonna pay whatever they need to pay to make this go away so they don't keep getting pilloried by the public, but I think he'd have an uphill battle if they really wanted to fight it.

I'm gonna assume that United will claim that they offered him whatever the law says they must (regardless of whether it is true) and so when he refused to leave, they called the cops. They'll say they didn't want to back down because it sets a bad precedent that if you're "important" enough, you can talk your way out of getting bumped and that it's on the cops if they used excessive force.

I watched the video, and there's nothing there that doesn't occur on literally every episode of Cops and happen probably every second of every day across the country when the cops use force. It was force, it was bullshit, but there's no way that meets the legal definition of excessive.

It's a PR nightmare for United, it's lovely too, but it's certainly legal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Azathoth posted:

I'm gonna assume that United will claim that they offered him whatever the law says they must (regardless of whether it is true)

No, knowingly making false claims to a court is really a bad idea. There are no laws requiring them to *offer* anything prior to dumping you. Saying "Hey, we need four volunteers to get off the plane, we'll pay the first four people who agree $800 each" is to get people to *voluntarily* be bumped. The law only says that if you get involuntarily bumped, there is compensation the airline is required to give you.

quote:

and so when he refused to leave, they called the cops. They'll say they didn't want to back down because it sets a bad precedent that if you're "important" enough, you can talk your way out of getting bumped and that it's on the cops if they used excessive force.

That would be enormously tone-deaf on their part. This would only be compounded by the fact that they were doing it so a crew could make their next flight. Under those circumstances, you should offer as much as it takes to get your volunteers, because the downside is canceling an entire flight and that's going to cost you *way* more money than saying "Okay, instead of $800 in vouchers, how about $1000 in cash?"

quote:

I watched the video, and there's nothing there that doesn't occur on literally every episode of Cops and happen probably every second of every day across the country when the cops use force. It was force, it was bullshit, but there's no way that meets the legal definition of excessive.

This isn't a matter of an excessive force complaint *against the cops*, so the legal definition of excessive force isn't relevant.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Apr 10, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Whoops. Great timing.

https://twitter.com/prweekus/status/842484619744178176

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
We Americans have such a love for violence and authority that an airline could probably up its popularity by marketing itself as the one where unruly passengers get regularly assaulted by cops/soldiers. The other passengers could even start chanting USA USA!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Great timing of almost a month ago?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
United should have just sent their people on a different carrier

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've seen genuinely serious criminals treated with more respect in the UK than that guy. Insane.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Great timing of almost a month ago?

Yes, great timing of United PR to implode after receiving an award for good PR.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jippa posted:

I've seen genuinely serious criminals treated with more respect in the UK than that guy. Insane.

Same in the US. It's a pretty weird situation they pulled off. Even for Chicago PD.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Phanatic posted:

No, knowingly making false claims to a court is really a bad idea. There are no laws requiring them to *offer* anything prior to dumping you. Saying "Hey, we need four volunteers to get off the plane, we'll pay the first four people who agree $800 each" is to get people to *voluntarily* be bumped. The law only says that if you get involuntarily bumped, there is compensation the airline is required to give you.
Yeah, I shouldn't have said they would claim something false, more that they would argue that they did what they were required to do and that bumping the guy involuntarily was within their rights, and so the guy was trespassing when they brought in the cops.

quote:

That would be enormously tone-deaf on their part. This would only be compounded by the fact that they were doing it so a crew could make their next flight. Under those circumstances, you should offer as much as it takes to get your volunteers, because the downside is canceling an entire flight and that's going to cost you *way* more money than saying "Okay, instead of $800 in vouchers, how about $1000 in cash?"
Yeah, but when has "this is a horrible idea" stopped an airline from doing something?

quote:

This isn't a matter of an excessive force complaint *against the cops*, so the legal definition of excessive force isn't relevant.
Ah, my bad on this one. I thought that the guy was dragged out by the cops, but it looks like it was "security", so yeah, that's not something that an airline employee should be doing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hope United starts beating the poo poo out of random passengers, that way people learn [something]

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sorry we sold 100 tickets but only have 75 seats. It's time for TRIAL BY COMBAT. Make sure any weapons can be stowed in the overhead bin.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saint Freak posted:

Sorry we sold 100 tickets but only have 75 seats. It's time for TRIAL BY COMBAT. Make sure any weapons can be stowed in the overhead bin.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Wasn't United also the one that took a pr beating because they wouldn't let some girls on with leggings?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Saint Freak posted:

https://twitter.com/Reflog_18/status/851452978104082434

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/851501385719963648

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Phew I was worried it was a white dude. I'm still safe.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Azhais posted:

United should have just sent their people on a different carrier

No, it's better to inconvenience your own customers and get bad PR than use the competition!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Incredible. Force every US police officer to wear a camera 24/7.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Oh man, that's the good stuff

I haven't seen this one here: Tomi Lahren sues for wrongful termination. No matter how it goes, somebody I don't like is going to lose.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

hahaha holy poo poo

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

I often fall from a seated position onto a thing attached to that seat so hard that I visibly injure myself.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
He fell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't get it. If he was an Asian guy then why didn't he just karate his way out of it? Something isn't adding up with this story...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

trickybiscuits posted:

Oh man, that's the good stuff

I haven't seen this one here: Tomi Lahren sues for wrongful termination. No matter how it goes, somebody I don't like is going to lose.

It's true; they really are for 'no lawful terminations (except mine)'.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

verymoldy posted:

I often fall from a seated position onto a thing attached to that seat so hard that I visibly injure myself.

Obviously, you are black.

It appears to be a genetic deficiency as it seems to happen so often to black people - often in police interview rooms.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jippa posted:

Incredible. Force every US police officer to wear a camera 24/7.

It will just fall off/stop working every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

spog posted:

Obviously, you are black.

It appears to be a genetic deficiency as it seems to happen so often to black people - often in police interview rooms.

Weird having it happen to an Asian dude this time.