Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hellsau posted:

Just throwing this out to the actual good players who can shoot enemy tanks and who can suffer through what I generously describe as "calling" - are y'all down for starting doing some tournaments? The Weekly tournaments which replaced the old Skirmishes appear to be significantly less time commitment. Check this one out - 5v5, 24 tier points, tier 5 max, Siegfried Line encounter. The format seems like it'd be a lot less stressful than the old Skirmish format - Monday is a group stage of up to 10 teams in a group, top 2 advance to the "upper playoffs", 3-6 advance to the "lower playoffs" which have insultingly low prizes so definitely shoot for the uppers. Each playoff bracket is a 64-team bracket, randomly seeded ('random' being suspicious coming from WGA as usual, but we'll roll with it). Wednesday the playoffs start - round 1 at 9pm eastern, round 2 starts 35 minutes later, up to four rounds on Wednesday. Teams play two games, first to win a game advances, loser goes out, gently caress you for drawing twice. Friday finishes the bracket. Only playing three days in the week, plus being able to just leave if you screw up and scrub out, sounds like it's just a significantly smaller time investment than the old skirmishes were. Obviously playing with packet loss seems like I'm going to actually rage out when it happens, but whatever.

Tier 5s are nice, since we can bring 1-2 Chaffees, 2-3 KVs/O-I Exps/Chaffees, and a Luchs or AMX 105 AM for the tier 4 depending on what we want to do. There's also no outright oneshot kill guns unless they're crazy enough to bring a tier 5 artillery to a city map. Actually I've talked myself into this and made a team.

https://worldoftanks.com/en/tournaments/1000000561/team/1000295814/

Password: 'qwerty'

We require 5 players to show up, and only have 2 reserve spots, so I'll kick you out if you're bad and I have a replacement. Exia, Primelaw, Steelion, HFX, other people who can stand to platoon with me - are y'all up for either some quick gold or some classic Hellsau rants when we inevitably have some total crazy bullshit happen? Maybe we'll get another Chaffee handstand, or maybe this loving hilarious poo poo where we just clown on bad players and then play really dumb and get lucky anyway.

e: god that loving 12t pinball action.

I'm turning in my last team project this upcoming week and I'm off after Wednesdays, so I'll hop in if you'll have me. Got a 3-skill Chaffee crew and could probably either unlock the KV-1 for my KV-5 crew, or re-buy the O-I Exp for my O-Ho crew, both 4-skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

NotWearingPants posted:

I signed up in case you don't get enough actual good players.

I did this as well.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Just throwing this out to the actual good players who can shoot enemy tanks and who can suffer through what I generously describe as "calling" - are y'all down for starting doing some tournaments? The Weekly tournaments which replaced the old Skirmishes appear to be significantly less time commitment. Check this one out - 5v5, 24 tier points, tier 5 max, Siegfried Line encounter. The format seems like it'd be a lot less stressful than the old Skirmish format - Monday is a group stage of up to 10 teams in a group, top 2 advance to the "upper playoffs", 3-6 advance to the "lower playoffs" which have insultingly low prizes so definitely shoot for the uppers. Each playoff bracket is a 64-team bracket, randomly seeded ('random' being suspicious coming from WGA as usual, but we'll roll with it). Wednesday the playoffs start - round 1 at 9pm eastern, round 2 starts 35 minutes later, up to four rounds on Wednesday. Teams play two games, first to win a game advances, loser goes out, gently caress you for drawing twice. Friday finishes the bracket. Only playing three days in the week, plus being able to just leave if you screw up and scrub out, sounds like it's just a significantly smaller time investment than the old skirmishes were. Obviously playing with packet loss seems like I'm going to actually rage out when it happens, but whatever.

Tier 5s are nice, since we can bring 1-2 Chaffees, 2-3 KVs/O-I Exps/Chaffees, and a Luchs or AMX 105 AM for the tier 4 depending on what we want to do. There's also no outright oneshot kill guns unless they're crazy enough to bring a tier 5 artillery to a city map. Actually I've talked myself into this and made a team.

We require 5 players to show up, and only have 2 reserve spots, so I'll kick you out if you're bad and I have a replacement. Exia, Primelaw, Steelion, HFX, other people who can stand to platoon with me - are y'all up for either some quick gold or some classic Hellsau rants when we inevitably have some total crazy bullshit happen? Maybe we'll get another Chaffee handstand, or maybe this loving hilarious poo poo where we just clown on bad players and then play really dumb and get lucky anyway.

What's the preferred KV? 1 or 1S?

LOL KV-1 duh. Also I have a 2.85 skill crew! yum!

85mm, rammer, optics, vents?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 9, 2017

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Holy poo poo, after 1k or so games I finally got an Ace tanker last week. In my favorite tank so far the T1 Heavy

http://wotreplays.com/site/3492463

Of course it's on a map I'm still not really sure how to play since it's only come up maybe 10 times in 1k games. Also amusing since I managed to do it while also TK'ing a teammate who stupidly ran right in front of my tank.

Then tonight I could've managed to do one better

http://wotreplays.com/site/3492470

I had to go AFK in the beginning to help my wife out with something and when I came back I proceeded to wreck house. Of course right at the end I stupidly got suckered into chasing the Sav m/43 instead of heading back to base where I should've won the game. Oh well it was at least a decent enough round to finally get me my 2nd star on this tank.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
World of Tanks is a piece of poo poo video game

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ELI PORTER posted:

World of Tanks is a piece of poo poo video game

And?

I've not been on over the weekend. My connection has gone down the shitter with the weather changes.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
ive been getting micro lag stutters like crazy this weekend. anyone else have this plroblem?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
My ping would just hit 999 and stay there for hours.

I did manage to get a window just now and got a few games in. Adding a camo net to a skorpion really helps. Now i just need to find a way to stop other team mates from parking behind me and cutting off my escape routes. Had a Pershing that was hiding behind me so when I started taking fire i couldn't back up. Then he rolled around over a hill, got tracked and sat there spinning his turret while a Cromwell nibbled at his health till he died.
Went to Abby and decided what the hell, i'll pubbie farm on the east road. Smacked a Lowe, destroyed a KV-2 in 2 shots. Killed an IS-3 my team couldn't seem to flank while being nudged and turned by a Hellcat. chased down an SU-100 so he got nailed when he came out to shoot me. then I got rammed by my team's Hellcat again. Ran to the enemy camp on the north and spotted an arty. Decided to pull back and go around the hill to shoot him and again got rammed by the Hellcat, went to team kill but he raced into cap and got shotgunned. So I ran across the hill and killed the arty. Only damage i took the whole match was by being rammed by that Hellcat
I did get to semi team up with an O-ni. Both of us rolling forward one at a time to take shots and backing off. It worked great till i got the first triple 9 ping. By the time i could move again i was inflames with 8 hit notifications all emblazened on my screen.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I, too, am working late this week, or I would totally do this.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
The sad part is, as flawed at WoT is, there really isn't anything that jumps out as being better. I loved War Thunder's simulator mode, but nobody plays it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

L-Boned posted:

The sad part is, as flawed at WoT is, there really isn't anything that jumps out as being better. I loved War Thunder's simulator mode, but nobody plays it.

War Thunder is a very pretty game which runs clumsily that can't decide if it wants to be fun or realistic. You can't have both unless you're the type who gets off on spending thirty minutes doing a 'cold start' on your airplane. If it could stop tripping over its own dick, it might be decent.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

SocketWrench posted:

And?

I've not been on over the weekend. My connection has gone down the shitter with the weather changes.

i been trying to avoid playing much recently due to connection issues aswel

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah the server issues were loving with me especially bad tonight, Christ. Picked up the JPE-100 and the tier 9 Batchat today while the sale was still going on. The Batchat seems pretty ok when I'm not rubberbanding into walls and rocks and poo poo or if I can actually aim when my server reticle isn't spazzing out.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
C'mon, coming to a stop 8 times over when you let up on the w key is part of the fun.....

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SocketWrench posted:

C'mon, coming to a stop 8 times over when you let up on the w key is part of the fun.....

My favorite is when you've pressed R three times, your hands aren't on the keyboard, and your tank just turns to the left for no apparently reason. Always to the left....

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mate of mine is grinding through the AT 7 at the moment and hating every loving moment, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for my upcoming AT 8 experience. Meanwhile I've got myself the wonderful AT 15A to train the crew for said AT 8 and toon up with a pair of E 25's in the process, meaning I can double-tap 'R', sod off to get a drink, and come back to find I've bounced several thousand points of damage while returning several thousand points of assist damage.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Mate of mine is grinding through the AT 7 at the moment and hating every loving moment, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for my upcoming AT 8 experience. Meanwhile I've got myself the wonderful AT 15A to train the crew for said AT 8 and toon up with a pair of E 25's in the process, meaning I can double-tap 'R', sod off to get a drink, and come back to find I've bounced several thousand points of damage while returning several thousand points of assist damage.

Ha. You think that AT15A actually bounces anything. Actually, you think that any of the slow rear end Britsh poo poo bounces anything even at tier. Imagine an entire line of T28s until you reach T10. At least the T28 hatches are a bit hard to hit at range if you don't have a 200+ pen gun to deal with the cheeks.

Hellsau posted:

I signed up so you can be mad at me. I'll have to check if I have any non poo poo crews at tier 5. As a note, the KV1s 85 and 57 are perfectly adequate at punching through the O-I Exp frontal armor, so you will have to aim your shots to win the trade.

HFX fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 10, 2017

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It *does* bounce things though. You know what pubbies are like, they right-click then hold down left mouse. Easy poo poo.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

Wait are you eastern time because that's fine, it starts 9pm eastern, and also this one is for the week of the 17th because lol at this week's I'm not playing a loving 5v5 tier 3 tourney on goddamn Ruinberg Encounter with this crazy packet loss.

lol @ thinking it will be in any way better next week

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The AT8 was kinda harsh, but doable if one hid the weakspot.
The AT7 is all kinds of great since it comes with a 20pdr at tier7, which is the same gun as on the AT15.
They actually nerfed the ROF on the AT7 since it was OP.
I have ammo-racked an IS7 with it, so it is great for the tier. Just learn to hide the correct side and you will be fine.

The default gun is an auto-loader and some goons have had fun with that one using all gold.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I've never driven any of the AT vehicles or bothered to try and figure out what the weakspots are so I just don't shoot at them unless it's a free shot or I can get to their flank.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The fun part with the AT-15 was that the gun area was the primary weakpoint on the tank. If you autoaimed on the tank and had a gun that was near 200avg pen you could pen it every time.
The AT-7 was fun though since on the right map you could hide 80% of your tank and all people could see is a barrel poking around a corner that chipped off 200 health every 5 seconds.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

It *does* bounce things though. You know what pubbies are like, they right-click then hold down left mouse. Easy poo poo.

I certainly seem to always have pubbies shooting my weak points. The other problem I have is that I have little chance to influence the battle with them.

Their armor seems to suggest you want to assault gun with them. However, it is so slow that by the time you arrive either the your team has won and moved on, or the enemy team has won and now you will face down 5-6 tanks.

You are slow and thus an arty magnet. Have fun trying to get to the front line to shoot tanks as Bishops and FV304's make your life hell.

So cool, you made it to the front lines, now you need to hide your weak points. Hope you got the spawn/side that favors your weak points.

You managed that. Great! Proceed to machine gun down people. BTW, your arc sucks and your gun will rarely track same tier vehicles (which you need to do). So you helped win the fight, now cry as you aren't fast enough to reach base to stop the cap from the flank that fell.

The better tanks in the line: AT2, AT15, FV215 183 (This tank is why you are really on this line).

The AT15A is okay as a crew trainer, but I'd question why you would want to play it for fun when their are much better premium TDs out there.

CitizenKain posted:

The fun part with the AT-15 was that the gun area was the primary weakpoint on the tank. If you autoaimed on the tank and had a gun that was near 200avg pen you could pen it every time.
The AT-7 was fun though since on the right map you could hide 80% of your tank and all people could see is a barrel poking around a corner that chipped off 200 health every 5 seconds.

There has been some times I've used the AT-7 for hilarious effect. However, it is very map / spawn dependent.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

AT 15 is extremely bad. AT 7 is extremely ownage.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The AT-7 is amazing, yes. Best thing about it is that you can easily beat most people's repair crews, so you end up permatracking them with 200 damage a pop.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Just fell 54 damage short of getting HT-15 in my T29. 4400 damage blocked sidescraping, 2296 damage done and 1250 damage received. My team was just too good, didn't let the enemy team survive long enough.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I present Kv-2 vs pubbies

http://wotreplays.com/site/3493973#sacred_valley-rumble_mcskirmish-kv-2

My team and their team were both loaded with pubbies. Hell my team melted near instantly on the east flank...and the west wasn't doing that much better. The first half isn't that exciting, but the second half...oh the retardness that goes down. I was laughing like a psycho for the last half

BTW, is anyone having an issue with the game where you hit another player and do noticeable damage, but you just get a "We didn't even scratch them" and no record of a hit? I know this is happening because I've been the last tank on my team a few times and my last shot says it didn't damage them but their health drops down 20% from it

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 10, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have the first round of missions primary secondary done for HT/MT/LT, just need TD and, sanity willing, SPG. Stuck on the 3k damage TD mission because the best TDs I have are the Hellcat and Challenger, neither of which I play a ton nor are they easy to get a 3k game with.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Holy crap are the forums a bad source of advice. Decided to just take a look around and found this gem: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/538282-ventilation-vs-gun-rammer/

The number of people advocating for the objectively wrong choice.... it's hilarious.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Same place I read "Don't use a net on a Skorpion, it doesn't do anything because the thing is so big"

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Prav posted:

AT 15 is extremely bad. AT 7 is extremely ownage.

AT15 is great in tier 8 battles. Tier9-10, not so much. Which pretty much summarizes the AT15.
But yeah, the AT7 rocks since it is on the golden point in the tech tree where the armor still matters, alpha is still ok and having a 20pdr is great in tier7 since the pen is enough for anything you face.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Holy crap are the forums a bad source of advice. Decided to just take a look around and found this gem: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/538282-ventilation-vs-gun-rammer/

The number of people advocating for the objectively wrong choice.... it's hilarious.

Yeah the wot forums are really terrible. I have shamefully posted there before but it's really just pissing in the wind against a tidal wave of very bad opinions.

PS: Always mount Rammer and VStabs if available.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 10, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I Run Vents, Spall Liner, and toolbox for my ramming specd tanks.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
So I saw on the net that WG are planning to change Arty AGAIN and adding some lovely stun mechanic. Do you think it will make it easier to rush my Maus up the Lakeville Valley?

BTW - Yes, I am still alive and still Perma-chatbanned. No, my eyes haven't totally self destructed (but they have broken to the point that I get to work from home 100% of the time).

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
On a side note, do you guys run camo nets on your light tanks?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

L-Boned posted:

Yes, because active scouting is WAY too much work.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Always fun being able to go scouting and fine one of their pubbie heavies alone and run some rings around him while he desperately tries to aim up on you. Or on certain maps i sneak for a hole to get around and take out the arty

L-Boned posted:

No point unless you're going to sit in one spot and scout. Nets only work if you're stationary

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 10, 2017

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Has anyone, in the history of tanks, ever equipped a Cyclone Filter?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

Has anyone, in the history of tanks, ever equipped a Cyclone Filter?

If it gave you an active ability where you get to press a NOS button for p big speed boost that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

L-Boned posted:

never.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I probably have some opinions dumber than the WoT forums, but the main advantages of a light tank as a scout over a medium with excellent view range is speed and the camo bonus while moving. So camo nets offer no help at all when doing the things a light is best at.

You can still scout passively in a light without a camo net.

edit: I might use a camo net/binocs in a light if I am grinding and in a tank that has a lovely crew and is crippled by being stock just so I feel like there's one thing I can do well.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 10, 2017