Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I don't have a mustache, can I still do these exercises?
That'll grow in. :v:

Though difficult, look past the pretension and you'll find a lot of useful information in there. The cringe factor can be high but nobody eats a bran muffin cuz they like the flavor, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I really don't want to change jobs, I'm just having a hard time determining if that's out of some misplaced company loyalty or if I'm afraid to step out of my comfort zone, or if I really think I should stay and it's in my best interest long-term to stick with it.

The commute is a big deal believe it or not, been there and it made me miserable. My wife currently has a lovely commute and although she loves her job the commute makes her miserable so she's looking for a job that's closer to home. She probably spends over two hours in her car every day, and because she drives a V8 Lexus it's costing $200 a month in gas. Commuting isn't free, so you gotta figure in the costs of that as well.

I currently have a 10 minute commute and it's one of the best things about my job.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cornholio: the extra drivin' is not free, it costs gas, tires, oil and wear & tear.

Personally, doing a bit of mental math, that sounds like a bad deal looking only at the financial side. Plus, 2x50 minutes commute would have me crawling up the walls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

That'll grow in. :v:

Though difficult, look past the pretension and you'll find a lot of useful information in there. The cringe factor can be high but nobody eats a bran muffin cuz they like the flavor, amirite?

It's not horrible and still better than going to a gym. Gonna have to figure out how to shoulder the bar without a cage and not dropping it because I am a weak little baby.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

Reading through your post, it sounds like you want to leave.

Is your current company not doing well? What's the reason for the layoffs?

We had our best year last year. But our parent company had losses in their other divisions, so everybody had to suffer. I don't understand it either, but there it is.

I really don't want to leave, I just don't know if I want to stay either. The extra money would be nice (77k to 87k) but it'd be the same position I have now, starting from scratch. At least here I'm respected and know what I'm doing. Then again, in ten years, will I regret staying here vs going there, where it's better structured, privately owned and maxed out production-wise?

Ugh. I hate this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

It's not horrible and still better than going to a gym. Gonna have to figure out how to shoulder the bar without a cage and not dropping it because I am a weak little baby.
Power clean to overhead! Otherwise just do a bench press.

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 10, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

We had our best year last year. But our parent company had losses in their other divisions, so everybody had to suffer. I don't understand it either, but there it is.

I really don't want to leave, I just don't know if I want to stay either. The extra money would be nice (77k to 87k) but it'd be the same position I have now, starting from scratch. At least here I'm respected and know what I'm doing. Then again, in ten years, will I regret staying here vs going there, where it's better structured, privately owned and maxed out production-wise?

Ugh. I hate this.

Don't chase money, chase happiness. Do whatever you think will make you HAPPY.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

Other instructional videos are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYX-7emO4U

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Sure are, but that guy's tank top is causing reflexive eye-rolling.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't chase money, chase happiness. Do whatever you think will make you HAPPY.

Money makes me pretty happy :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm not going to pretend that 10k is nothing but you're going to lose a quarter to a third it to taxes, increase your commute substantially, increased gas/insurance/maintenance...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

I have a copy of his Swoly Bible, it's actually brilliant and well written, he's clearly an intelligent guy with a gift for comedy.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here's the solution: Stay at your current job, you've got seniority and they respect your contributions so start coming in a little later and going home a little earlier while still being a useful employee. Keeps your commute the same, shortens your time spent in the office, and effectively it's giving yourself a raise on your hourly rate.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

Sure are, but that guy's tank top is causing reflexive eye-rolling.
Dom is awesome though. And he's a character on a comedy Youtube channel.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have a copy of his Swoly Bible, it's actually brilliant and well written, he's clearly an intelligent guy with a gift for comedy.

InitialDave posted:

Dom is awesome though. And he's a character on a comedy Youtube channel.

Yeah after I watched the video I recognized that my initial attitude was a poor one and the guy's pretty funny.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The commute cannot be over-emphasized. That's literally lost time out of your life. Even if not a productive opportunity cost, that extra time for sleep is better for you.

If you truly feel the commute isn't a huge deal, you've already identified the lost seniority but how would the move impact your retirement and health/other benefits? A lot of younger people gloss over that but a good health plan, let alone retirement, can easily account for thousands of dollars each year. How about vacation time?

Also, without knowing your business and the impact of their specific ISO cert, one thing ISO is pretty much universal with is a cornucopia of documents and procedures. You may potentially find that massively irritating and actually a detractor instead of a benefit. Of course, being ISO certified might make the company more viable as some companies will only deal with companies that are ISO.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

The commute cannot be over-emphasized. That's literally lost time out of your life. Even if not a productive opportunity cost, that extra time for sleep is better for you.

If you truly feel the commute isn't a huge deal, you've already identified the lost seniority but how would the move impact your retirement and health/other benefits? A lot of younger people gloss over that but a good health plan, let alone retirement, can easily account for thousands of dollars each year. How about vacation time?

Also, without knowing your business and the impact of their specific ISO cert, one thing ISO is pretty much universal with is a cornucopia of documents and procedures. You may potentially find that massively irritating and actually a detractor instead of a benefit. Of course, being ISO certified might make the company more viable as some companies will only deal with companies that are ISO.

I like driving, but I do think it might be too much. That's a lot of driving. 500 miles a week.

I think the other place might have better health insurance. My current place of employment recently made it so that any refilled prescription has to go through a mail-order service - there is no way to opt out of it. The health insurance has been getting worse every year, and I think our 401(k) matching is capped at 4% (they'll throw in an extra 2%). I don't have specific details of the new place's benefits but I can get those. I do get vacation time up front, the standard two weeks. I don't get three weeks vacation here until I've been here 8 years (I've been here 4.5).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is moving closer not an option?

I'd go insane if I had a nearly hour commute each way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

scuz posted:

Yeah after I watched the video I recognized that my initial attitude was a poor one and the guy's pretty funny.

I've done the same in the past, no biggie. I recommend his 'do you even lift?' video. In short, you don't lift.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Money makes me pretty happy :v:

If you end up miserable at your new job that extra 10k is not going to seem like all that much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've done the same in the past, no biggie. I recommend his 'do you even lift?' video. In short, you don't lift.
Don't forget to make sure you're not hurting yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEGySOH35-g

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Not really. I love my house, I love where my house is, and I love the school district my kids are in. Moving really isn't an option.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CornHolio posted:

Not really. I love my house, I love where my house is, and I love the school district my kids are in. Moving really isn't an option.

So ask yourself where you will be in 3 years times in your current job.

if the answer is 'same' or 'better', then stay

If it is worse/unemployed, then leave

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Get the retirement, health & benefit specifics and try to negotiate in an extra week of vacation time. Do you know other people at the new company to find out what it's like to work for directly? Or maybe with any other companies you know that might be sources of intel?

4.5 years isn't massive seniority, but it's certainly nothing to sneeze at either. If you think you are going to eventually move, there is something to be said about doing it more sooner than later to start on your next career.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

Get the retirement, health & benefit specifics and try to negotiate in an extra week of vacation time. Do you know other people at the new company to find out what it's like to work for directly? Or maybe with any other companies you know that might be sources of intel?

4.5 years isn't massive seniority, but it's certainly nothing to sneeze at either. If you think you are going to eventually move, there is something to be said about doing it more sooner than later to start on your next career.

Funny thing is, I'm one of the most senior people here. That's how crazy the turnover is here.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Ugh. I hate this.

The layoffs are concerning. Is this year looking up? You may have gotten by this round of layoffs but what about the next?

I was in a similar situation. My old job was unstructured and the work was easy. I switched to a job with lots of structure. I like it a lot better.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

The layoffs are concerning. Is this year looking up? You may have gotten by this round of layoffs but what about the next?

I was in a similar situation. My old job was unstructured and the work was easy. I switched to a job with lots of structure. I like it a lot better.

It doesn't seem to matter how well we do. We had a record year last year but laid off a bunch of people. I've made the cut because I'm good at my job, and I think I'd keep making the cut, but who knows. We were already pretty short-staffed and right after the layoffs, another engineer quit.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

It doesn't seem to matter how well we do. We had a record year last year but laid off a bunch of people. I've made the cut because I'm good at my job, and I think I'd keep making the cut, but who knows. We were already pretty short-staffed and right after the layoffs, another engineer quit.

CornHolio posted:

Funny thing is, I'm one of the most senior people here. That's how crazy the turnover is here.

This doesn't sound like a good place to work.

If you don't take this job, I would continue looking. The high turnover rate is a red flag to me.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Nothing says you have to stay at the new job for a long time. You can use it as a launching point for a new and better job in a couple years.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

I like driving, but I do think it might be too much. That's a lot of driving. 500 miles a week.

I think the other place might have better health insurance. My current place of employment recently made it so that any refilled prescription has to go through a mail-order service - there is no way to opt out of it. The health insurance has been getting worse every year, and I think our 401(k) matching is capped at 4% (they'll throw in an extra 2%). I don't have specific details of the new place's benefits but I can get those. I do get vacation time up front, the standard two weeks. I don't get three weeks vacation here until I've been here 8 years (I've been here 4.5).

I don't know what you do (MechE?), but depending on the company culture there might be options for work from home, flex time, or other benefits. You may be able to bargain up front for them to kick in after a certain amount of time if they're not immediate options as well. How you actually deal with your commute may also make a huge difference.

I did 80 miles a day to a job with a 45 hour work week for 10 years. It wasn't kastein-level commuting, but it was up and down 128/95 in the Boston area. Telecommuting wasn't an option because "perception defines reality"... which was the CEO's way of saying that unless you were in the office he didn't believe you were working.

In order to deal with it (since I needed the job) I would get up at 5:15 AM to make sure I was on the road by 6AM and that would at least guarantee that I would make it there by 7AM, most times 6:45-ish. 9 hour days meant I couldn't leave until 4pm, which meant I was stuck with afternoon rush hour no matter what I did (unless I wanted to donate *more* hours to the company, which wasn't going to happen). That meant that the return trip was 1:15 to infinity hours long depending on the day, season, and weather (hosed for Cape traffic on summer Fridays, Patriots Thursday night games, any form of precipitation, and sometimes just because).

Overall tho, I actually found that I didn't mind the commute. Sure, some days it sucked, but it also gave me time to plan out my day on the way in, and wind down a bit on the way home. Many of my co-workers listened to books-on-tape or podcasts or whatever - so it doesn't have to be *wasted* time, but you need to figure out if you can put it to use vs annoy the crap out of you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

Start seriously job hunting now.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

One day last week I did 4 hours of driving then 8 hours on site before 5 hours of driving home. It sucked.
This week I am going on the train.

I don't think it makes much difference to my hourly take home as the train is loving expensive - but the train is gonna be 5 hours of quality reading/ snoozing time vs 9 hours driving..

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just got the formal letter and their benefits information.

I pay $293.08 over two weeks for my health insurance right now, but thats for $900 individual deductible / $1800 family deductible, in network.

The new company is $1200/$3600 but only would cost me $234.07 every two weeks.

I would get two weeks vacation this year, three starting next year. Here I'd have to wait four more years to get that third week.

Man... This is a hard decision...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

I pay $293.08 over two weeks for my health insurance right now, but thats for $900 individual deductible / $1800 family deductible, in network.

I would get two weeks vacation this year, three starting next year. Here I'd have to wait four more years to get that third week.

So the medical costs less, but costs more to use it.

That sounds like the same equation with the "makes a bit more money, but adds more than half a day per week drive time."

Both of those would be too tough to swallow for me.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Wow I wish my deductible was that low. That's a HMO type plan, right? Either way it beats the 3500/7000 my wife and I have through her major university employer.

I had a 76 mile one way commute before the plant I worked at closed. It wasn't bad most days, gave me time to wake up, blast the radio, etc. The days the weather was bad truly sucked, and I think you should consider that given that you live in south bend, iirc. It turned a 1:15 drive into a stressful 2+ hour drive that was totally not worth it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

Jesus Christ dude. Your loving country.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Having just gotten my 3rd week of vacation after ten loving years, let me tell you it makes a huge difference.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Jesus Christ dude. Your loving country.
"gently caress you"
~rich americans to everyone else

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CornHolio posted:

Which place is better for your future long term? It sounds to me like this is a great time to move, given the known pattern of layoffs and poor management at your current place.

The commute is an issue for sure, but if the starting pay is already a nice raise, and the vacation and medical is better, it sounds like a better place to work in general.

Ultimately you should do what is going to be best for you, as there is no such thing as company loyalty to employees anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

rdb posted:

Wow I wish my deductible was that low. That's a HMO type plan, right? Either way it beats the 3500/7000 my wife and I have through her major university employer.

It's a PPO. HMOs are too complicated for my simple brain.

The third option is to pass up on this offer and keep looking for something that pays similarly but is closer to home. I threw my resume out to a number of places but nobody else has called me back yet. Doesn't mean they won't, though. AM General's big factory in Mishawaka is literally walkable from my house, though I've heard they have layoffs quite a bit since they take stuff on contract.

The Locator posted:

Which place is better for your future long term?

Man, I wish I knew. I really did.

• Locked thread