Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Redmark posted:

For Malphite ultimate (and probably some other abilities?) the cast time is reduced when the cursor is closer to your champion than the maximum ability range. Seems like this also works through walls to get a faster max-range ult. :riot:

its because hes ulting into unpathable terrain, its not a mouse position thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JeHonay1124 JALOL: U friend of the family
JeHonay1124 JALOL: U BANNED LEE
JeHonay1124 JALOL: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
JeHonay1124 JALOL: U FKING oval office BITCH rear end JUSTIN BIBIER 1990S LLOOKIN rear end MOTHER FUKER
JeHonay1124 JALOL: THIS IS WHY UR PARENTS DONT FKING LOVE U

Addamere fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 10, 2017

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Radical posted:

its because hes ulting into unpathable terrain, its not a mouse position thing

It's noticeably faster when the cursor is next to the champion. Look at the video at 0:53. Malphite goes faster one way than the other.

vvv Yeah, I figured that would be the reason which was why I noticed it at all :v: Of course it's only my conjecture, it could always still be false.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 10, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Redmark posted:

It's noticeably faster when the cursor is next to the champion. Look at the video at 0:53. Malphite goes faster one way than the other.
The most likely explanation is that the game computes "time to be in air" based on where you click, then draws the animation afterwards. So when you click only half way through the impassable terrain the game is computing that you only have half as much air time, even though in reality you end up on the other side of it.

This is a pretty understandable bug all things considered.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Zaekkor posted:

Hey guys. I haven't played since the release of Bard and obviously a lot has changed / came out since that point in time. When he was released I was a Silver 4 ranked player so not the greatest. Just wondering if you have any recommendations on getting back into the swing of things? Is there a good "heres all the new poo poo since x timeframe" list somewhere? Just slightly overwhelmed! Thanks :)

There isn't a list that I know of that puts out all the changes other than patch lists offhand. There's been some full on reworks of champions like Galio, and Warwick who are both pretty different. I suppose it depends on what champions you play or enjoy? There's a big tank overhaul coming up where they're gonna put out some new items and update around 6-10 champions. I can't remember if the ADC overhaul came before or after Bard offhand, but they've done some big updates to kits ofr certain types of champions. So far, ADCs, Mages, and Assassins got some looks at.

Anyone/thing in particular?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Servaetes posted:

There isn't a list that I know of that puts out all the changes other than patch lists offhand. There's been some full on reworks of champions like Galio, and Warwick who are both pretty different. I suppose it depends on what champions you play or enjoy? There's a big tank overhaul coming up where they're gonna put out some new items and update around 6-10 champions. I can't remember if the ADC overhaul came before or after Bard offhand, but they've done some big updates to kits ofr certain types of champions. So far, ADCs, Mages, and Assassins got some looks at.

Anyone/thing in particular?

I've seen some of the changes to my old core champs (Zyra, Malz). Anything drastically different about jungling? I think probably my biggest hurdle is learning all the new items, and learning what some new champions do. Any champs I should know about that get banned often?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaekkor posted:

I've seen some of the changes to my old core champs (Zyra, Malz). Anything drastically different about jungling? I think probably my biggest hurdle is learning all the new items, and learning what some new champions do. Any champs I should know about that get banned often?

Since bard, no jungle changes of note. You still start bottom-side buff, then wolves, then top-side buff, unless you wanna gank bottom or you're on left-side and must start blue.

ADCs are still weak as hell so gank bot lane all day, except maybe watch out for Lucian since he got a buff recently and is a lot smoother and more fun for people to play.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just had the most frustrating match. I'm fooling around with mid, and I decide to pick Teemo because it's a Fizz and I figure I can bully him. Lane goes exactly as easy as I predict: I get first blood, I'm consistently twice his cs, he's consistently near death. And then Lee Sin starts camping me, bot and top alternate coming to gently caress with me, and there goes my lead. In retrospect they totally deserve the win for the superior teamwork, coordinating to dive me under and even behind second turret to kill me. But wow was that irritating at the time to see what looked like it was going to be an easy first blood tower and snowball turn into a nonstop dickstomp.

To my credit I didn't say a word in anger, and just said GG when the game ended. :)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Zaekkor posted:

Jungling is mostly the same, though you can (and should) do the old fashioned buff -> wolves -> buff -> level 3 gank start again.

Most of the champs released since Bard are fairly niche, the one you'll see the most often is Jhin who's a very bursty ADC with a Xerath-like long range ult. There's also probably a dozen older champs who have gotten full kit reworks since then, though none of them are really running rampant at the moment.

There aren't any must-bans this patch though my experience is that Lucian and Ahri will be in every game if you don't ban them.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Chilling Tip: If you type "br" into search during champ select, the results are all support champs!

Brand, Bard, Braum, Blitzcrank and Volibear!

Makes sense since Brazil, is absolutely the support player of the Americas.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Addamere posted:

JeHonay1124 JALOL: U friend of the family
JeHonay1124 JALOL: U BANNED LEE
JeHonay1124 JALOL: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
JeHonay1124 JALOL: U FKING oval office BITCH rear end JUSTIN BIBIER 1990S LLOOKIN rear end MOTHER FUKER
JeHonay1124 JALOL: THIS IS WHY UR PARENTS DONT FKING LOVE U

> Plays Riven

Friend request this guy.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Addamere posted:

Just had the most frustrating match. I'm fooling around with mid, and I decide to pick Teemo because it's a Fizz and I figure I can bully him. Lane goes exactly as easy as I predict: I get first blood, I'm consistently twice his cs, he's consistently near death. And then Lee Sin starts camping me, bot and top alternate coming to gently caress with me, and there goes my lead. In retrospect they totally deserve the win for the superior teamwork, coordinating to dive me under and even behind second turret to kill me. But wow was that irritating at the time to see what looked like it was going to be an easy first blood tower and snowball turn into a nonstop dickstomp.

To my credit I didn't say a word in anger, and just said GG when the game ended. :)

Weird as this may sound, I really wish the laning phase was more isolated.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Aumanor posted:

I realize that some people really hate "lol don't play this game" chat but I took a break from League to get back into fighting games and honestly if you want to play a game that is 100% laning phase, there it is.

You have to deal with programming yourself with a new form of muscle memory but in return you get a 1v1 with no risk of interference from other players, perfect information at all times, and no one to blame but yourself when you inevitably get curb stomped.

It's nice to have one or two installed to play after you lose a promo due to an unfortunate DC, is what I'm saying. Sometimes you want to just be responsible for yourself. :shobon:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
When is double jungling or jungle + jungle support going to take off?

I'm so tired of the same setup for every match 99 times out of a 100. There was once a Tahm + Aurelion bottom and their gimmick was Tahm chomping Aurelion and then running at us since the orbiting stars still work during that time and it was such a breath of fresh air. Also Teemo + Cassiopeia bottom was murder in another game, also a breath of fresh air.

Do they usually only rework items during season changes? I feel like they could remove half the items in the game and the game would be better for it.

Those are my pet peeves, thanks for reading.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Is there a really compelling reason to completely uproot the way the game has played now for nearly six years? If you want to play something out of the norm you probably can, but that also forfeits griping about it too. If your wacky poison bot lane dual mages work then rock it out but the standard fare of adc support bot will eventually be as strong or stronger.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Besides, everyone knows the best full gimmick botlane is Rengar+Ivern.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i started 0-5 because apparently dark seal + faerie charm is weak vs ignite katarina.

then i won a 1v1 vs her and killed everyone for the rest of the game.

veigar is so fun, so is slumming in bronze with my irl friends

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
teemo shaco botlane op

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Firebert posted:

teemo shaco botlane op

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

I haven't played SR in a couple months but I just looked at the win rates for supports and Sona is at 54% or something, what the heck is happening in solo queue?

Winrates are not always accurate imo especially if the play rate is really low. In this case sona has a playrate of 5% which is not bad but honestly I play 3-6 games everyday in ranked in plat1 and have never seen a Sona. Sona is an easy champion that might be why her winrate is high and her winrate if I remember correctly has always been pretty good.

Anybody who plays lots of ranked knows whats the most broken poo poo in support. Karma/Lulu/Zyra are free elo right now. Especially Lulu can peel for adc's who are strong since the bork buffs and can mess with Assassins who are also popular(talon,fizz,ahri,lb).

I pretty much always ban lulu and I see that her banrate is 8% which is the highest in soloq right now along with Katarina. I don't understand Kat bans though because she has mostly lost popularity since Ahri/Ori became meta.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Servaetes posted:

Is there a really compelling reason to completely uproot the way the game has played now for nearly six years? If you want to play something out of the norm you probably can, but that also forfeits griping about it too. If your wacky poison bot lane dual mages work then rock it out but the standard fare of adc support bot will eventually be as strong or stronger.

Is there a reason to preserve it?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Lazy counter question but sure! Some degree of structure is great for new people coming into the game, and it's good for folks that have played a role forever and wanna try something different. It's not a bad thing that it's simple and easy to do basic team building or working around a theme based off the 112J setup.

E: eh, you've complained about league and the meta for a thousand loving years you already are set in your ways

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 10, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
(Looking at the Statue of Liberty) is there any reason this shouldn't be a tree

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Work Friend Keven posted:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants," which would probably corrode that nice statue.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aumanor posted:

My least favorite thing in this game is when I'm playing top and I want to go participate in the rest of the game, and the enemy top is only capable of pushing top, forever. Go away rear end in a top hat, I'm not playing a single player game here.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Winrates are not always accurate imo especially if the play rate is really low. In this case sona has a playrate of 5% which is not bad but honestly I play 3-6 games everyday in ranked in plat1 and have never seen a Sona. Sona is an easy champion that might be why her winrate is high and her winrate if I remember correctly has always been pretty good.

Anybody who plays lots of ranked knows whats the most broken poo poo in support. Karma/Lulu/Zyra are free elo right now. Especially Lulu can peel for adc's who are strong since the bork buffs and can mess with Assassins who are also popular(talon,fizz,ahri,lb).

I pretty much always ban lulu and I see that her banrate is 8% which is the highest in soloq right now along with Katarina. I don't understand Kat bans though because she has mostly lost popularity since Ahri/Ori became meta.

It's so weird to see lulu take off again, I remember months ago when she was still p much untouched and riot rolled out a small buff I picked her up again (I liked her a lot before the nerfed her into the dirt for being too good in solo lane) and was like why aren't people playing this champ she seems so good right now, particularly in this meta. Then I took kind of an extended break from league cause I was a bit burnt out and when I came back suddenly she's really popular again. Did she get a lot of lcs play this season or something?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Firebert posted:

teemo shaco botlane op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WkhCRwzU_U

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

It's so weird to see lulu take off again, I remember months ago when she was still p much untouched and riot rolled out a small buff I picked her up again (I liked her a lot before the nerfed her into the dirt for being too good in solo lane) and was like why aren't people playing this champ she seems so good right now, particularly in this meta. Then I took kind of an extended break from league cause I was a bit burnt out and when I came back suddenly she's really popular again. Did she get a lot of lcs play this season or something?

Lulu support returning is the perfect storm of the assassin rework hitting (she stuffs Rengar, Zed, and Talon better than any other support), and Zyra and Malz dominating the support meta (her passive destroys minions/plants easily), and a number of small QoL buffs. Support itemization changes (introduction of redemption, ardent censor buffs), also heavily favoured her as well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Work Friend Keven posted:

i mean it's less that and more 'do we have to make every statue or monument from now until the end of time a classically styled female figure'

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

That sounds like a problem for people that make new ones, not the ones that made the first

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Firebert posted:

Lulu support returning is the perfect storm of the assassin rework hitting (she stuffs Rengar, Zed, and Talon better than any other support), and Zyra and Malz dominating the support meta (her passive destroys minions/plants easily), and a number of small QoL buffs. Support itemization changes (introduction of redemption, ardent censor buffs), also heavily favoured her as well.

I was sayin this poo poo in jan, im a lulu hipster

ArbitraryC posted:

Lulu seems like a pretty decent supp right now, surprised I don't see her often. Her kit has some good answers to a lot of the current meta and she's not bad in lane. Even if I just spend all game bouncing lee everytime he goes for the adc it feels pretty useful and I'm consistently getting S ranks on her.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Orv posted:

My least favorite thing in this game is when I'm playing top and I want to go participate in the rest of the game, and the enemy top is only capable of pushing top, forever. Go away rear end in a top hat, I'm not playing a single player game here.

Mine is getting ganked while I was doing so well shoving the enemy as Kayle. gently caress off Lee Sin, this is not your lane, go kill some krugs or whatever it is that you do.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Aumanor posted:

Mine is getting ganked while I was doing so well shoving the enemy as Kayle. gently caress off Lee Sin, this is not your lane, go kill some krugs or whatever it is that you do.

but it is his lane

the entire map is the jungler's lane, everyone else is just restricted

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Orv posted:

The best is when your team is hella indecisive while you're doing this, so like I head down as malph and get a 3 man ult near dragon or w/e while my team just paces back and forth unwilling to commit to a 5v4 with a solid engage and their top laner gets a free tower.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
'wtf this isn't a statue, reported for trolling' -someone to the guy that designed the vietnam veterans memorial, probably

Servaetes posted:

That sounds like a problem for people that make new ones, not the ones that made the first

Well, you already can't speak of just one League of Legends. There have been both natural and deliberately engineered shifts to the game over the years. The question isn't 'should Riot ever make changes to the dynamics of a Summoner's Rift game', because that question is answered (they will, they have and IMO it's been generally good aside from the slow calcification of the meta roles over the years); it's 'what changes should occur in the future'

I guess that's why it makes more sense to me, in this analogy, for League to be 'the genre of monuments as a whole' rather than any one specific monument, because last time I checked they haven't updated the statue of liberty with exploding plants on the stairs to the top. I can't deny that would make it more exciting, though

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 10, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i like the freedom of dota meta but my friends are all bronze and gave up on dota because they died too often, so now i just play league and hots

that's not really an opinion just what happened to me

namaste

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think it's barking up the wrong tree to blame Riot specifically when it's mostly just the players wanting to streamline the process of getting into their game by choosing to adhere to a generically optimal strategy.

Yeah they've solidified a 1-1-2-1 setup with the way queuing into draft works now but I don't think they would have if players weren't hell-bent on playing it that way.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

They've said they want to encourage some breakup of archetypes with where they go in lanes. If you've read anything Ghostcrawler has said when people first started mentioned bot lane Ziggs he points out its something he'd like to see more of than less. It's reflected in the fact nothing has been done to Ziggs either.

The 112J standard is probably not going anywhere, no matter how loudly triforce Vladimir players yell

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ah yes, all off-meta picks are akin to triforce vlad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
i'm pretty sure triforce vlad works best in a 1-1-2-J setup? well, best may be a strong word. least worst?

• Locked thread