Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Recorder puzzles were just incomprehensible for the longest time, but after bashing my head off them over and over they eventually clicked and I felt like a genius. Once you've bent your brain around how the system works they're pretty easy.

You're not thinking fourth dimensionally Marty!

The real problem with them is that they're always "put the things where they go then wait for like ten minutes to give real-you a chance to exploit all the time-displaced toys." Or "Carry yourself like twice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Somfin posted:

The real problem with them is that they're always "put the things where they go then wait for like ten minutes to give real-you a chance to exploit all the time-displaced toys." Or "Carry yourself like twice."

There's a fast-forward button that gets rid of most of the waiting.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Futuresight posted:

Dark Souls 2 starts so loving bad it's unbelievable. 1 estus flask charge, useless roll, and reduced max hp on death is like they wanted people to throw the game in the garbage before you get the stats and charges to make it tolerable.

The reduced max HP thing seemed like it was solely there to punish new or less skilled players, the exact opposite of how anyone rational would ever design it. Then they put a ring in like the second zone that nearly negates the mechanic completely, like they were ashamed of themselves and knew how stupid it was

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

The reduced max HP thing seemed like it was solely there to punish new or less skilled players, the exact opposite of how anyone rational would ever design it. Then they put a ring in like the second zone that nearly negates the mechanic completely, like they were ashamed of themselves and knew how stupid it was

They did the same thing in Demons Souls. Its a really bad mechanic, and could have been cleaned up via presentation easily and made better balanced if they just made those items give you extra health and only lose bonus boss health on death.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition: The thing dragging this game down? That I've paid for it but can't download it until tomorrow at noon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Talos Principle:

Some of the stars are bullshit since they require connect beams from so far across the map that you can't physically see the reflector from where you need to stand.

You know there's a zoom button, right? (Plus an audio cue.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition: The thing dragging this game down? That I've paid for it but can't download it until tomorrow at noon.

I am definitely getting this, but still apprehensive about the 'enhanced' part.

Could you tell us whether or not they hosed it up?

e: thought I was in the Steam thread.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Perfect Potato posted:

Remember that the people who made one were busy with Bloodborne and 2 was a mostly different team. New things were tried and some worked great (Powerstancing I'm looking at you) and some less so (Hp loss on death). Some of the more hardcore DS youtube nerds have allegedly said that 3 is just Miyazaki's last souls game and that B team with a smattering of the DS1 and BB people are now in production on, if not DS4 directly, probably a BBesque sequel for all the systems. Personally I would like to believe, and I am still holding out hope we get an Armored Core but with Dark Souls styled mechanics, I want a ravaging hell machine to dodge into a building and drive a sword into another core.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Feonir posted:

Remember that the people who made one were busy with Bloodborne and 2 was a mostly different team. New things were tried and some worked great (Powerstancing I'm looking at you) and some less so (Hp loss on death). Some of the more hardcore DS youtube nerds have allegedly said that 3 is just Miyazaki's last souls game and that B team with a smattering of the DS1 and BB people are now in production on, if not DS4 directly, probably a BBesque sequel for all the systems. Personally I would like to believe, and I am still holding out hope we get an Armored Core but with Dark Souls styled mechanics, I want a ravaging hell machine to dodge into a building and drive a sword into another core.

i dunno if they still own the ip, but i want an overhauled tenchu.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
After dark fantasy and gothic horror, something sci-fi would be a neat aesthetic for whatever the next Soulsborne game may be

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

They did the same thing in Demons Souls.
No, in Demon's Souls you have less health if you're not human, but the entire game is balanced around being at half-health, which you will be almost the whole game. Becoming human again essentially just doubles your health pool to get through tough spots - that's why you're human so rarely.

Demon's Souls makes a lot of weird decisions, and it's not as polished as DS1, but it's a much more carefully made game than DS2.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World: AI characters don't seem to have the sense to run around each other or the character I'm controlling so they sometimes just can't reach the enemy to attack them. This is odd since I didn't notice it in Symphonia 1 which only let's you move in 2 dimensions. Also, it doesn't tell you which titles give better stat increases upon levelling up which is something Symphonia 1 did do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've never understood why people claim demon's souls' system is more forgiving than 2's because "it's balanced around it." What is that sentence even supposed to mean? In later areas like 1-3 you absolutely take tons of damage and suffer big time for having a smaller health bar, except demon's souls punishes you for one death as much as dark souls 2 does for ten, and it has a terrible mechanic that encourages you to play through the whole game like that, whereas dark souls 2 not only has no analogous mechanic but makes it incredibly easy to get your health back with frequent human effigies and the small white soapstone. Dark souls 2 is simply a much harder game than demon's souls in general and does not have anything as overpowered as the magic in that game. The mechanic itself is much more forgiving.

Is this just one of those things where people give any souls game that's not dark souls 2 a pass, because 2 is the one we blame for everything?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Digirat posted:

I've never understood why people claim demon's souls' system is more forgiving than 2's because "it's balanced around it." What is that sentence even supposed to mean? In later areas like 1-3 you absolutely take tons of damage and suffer big time for having a smaller health bar, except demon's souls punishes you for one death as much as dark souls 2 does for ten, and it has a terrible mechanic that encourages you to play through the whole game like that, whereas dark souls 2 not only has no analogous mechanic but makes it incredibly easy to get your health back with frequent human effigies and the small white soapstone. Dark souls 2 is simply a much harder game than demon's souls in general and does not have anything as overpowered as the magic in that game. The mechanic itself is much more forgiving.

Is this just one of those things where people give any souls game that's not dark souls 2 a pass, because 2 is the one we blame for everything?
I didn't say it was more forgiving. I just said it was better. It matters that it's balanced around it because it's the difference between a mechanical penalty for failure, like DS2 has, and a largely psychological disadvantage like Demon's Souls. It doesn't matter if you're at half health (or more with a particular item) when you're not human, because you'll almost never be human. It's not actually punishing you for death. Being human is a rare bonus that gives you extra health. The game is totally playable with the health penalty. It doesn't have to be forgiving, it just has to be fair. Dark Souls 2 isn't, because DS2 isn't designed as well.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I hate how long it takes Link to get up after eating poo poo from a Guardian blast or being swung by a Hinox. Get up you lazy gently caress! I need to kill them and/or flee! Also when he's flung off a cliff and just slides down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But DS2's health system also isn't a problem in a vacuum. It's a problem compounded by an unreliable dodging system, less fair enemy animations, etc.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I feel that both the dodging mechanics and enemy animations are fair though, or at least not any worse than in DS or DS3. In what ways would you say dodging is unreliable?

People always say stuff like that in regards to DS2 but aside from the dumb having to level up your AGL design decision, I've played through DS2 multiple times with different builds and have yet to experience this wonkiness everyone complains about. It might be just the starting lovely roll that throws everyone off, or the idea that the first DS is "better" in every way despite its less-than-perfect mechanics

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

KingSlime posted:

I feel that both the dodging mechanics and enemy animations are fair though, or at least not any worse than in DS or DS3. In what ways would you say dodging is unreliable?
The invincibility frame issues and weight affecting distance in arcane ways are both not great. The fact that dodging is so much more affected by your stats than either DS1 or Bloodborne is a problem when you combine it with enemies being more aggressive, shields less effective, and enemies being able to turn and track in insane ways. And the enemy animations are noticeably worse than DS1, I don't know about DS3 because I haven't played it. I could point to several enemies with problematic animations right off the top of my head, and there are late-game ones that are even worse.

DS2 isn't a bad game at all. But the DS game style requires lots and lots of little things to all come together just right. It only takes a few problems for stuff to start falling apart. That doesn't mean Dark Souls 2 is as bad as something like Lords of the Fallen, but it has some issues.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dark souls 2 definitely has some bad hitboxes and questionable mechanics, but I still don't think that makes the health system any worse than the way demon's souls did it. Mechanically, dark souls 2 is kinder to you and only has the psychological blow of seeing yourself get a bit weaker each time.

Apparently psychological differences like this are extremely powerful, because I've seen more than a few people act like dark souls 3 has the best system because "you have more health than normal when you're kindled instead of less health when you're not." This is a purely psychological thing based on how the game renders the part of the health bar you don't have, since 3 just doesn't show you the part that isn't there after you've died. Dark souls 1 is clearly the most fair since it doesn't touch your health bar at all, but 3 seems to have won the most people over because of that one little change, despite punishing you on your first death as much as dark souls 2 punishes you after six deaths. I wonder if 2 would have been better received if it had gone the same route with the UI.

I do not like the mechanic in any of them though. It's lame.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dark Souls 3 has the same mechanic as well, but they present it as a bonus for not being dead, so it somehow feels much nicer.

e:fb

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So I posted in the little things thread about psychonauts because it's really quite good, but holy poo poo this oleander circus level is dogshit. The fourth part of the protection bit involves dodging a knife so it gets stuck in a spinning wheel, allowing you to grab on. Pretty clever as a mechanic, but a bitch to get accurate, and in a timer that sends you back to stage one if you fail.

Beat that and I'm on a rail portion now where I can't make the first jump. Come around a corner and hit jump to get over a gap, but you still have momentum from the turn and go loving flying. Rage inducing level at what I'm guessing is near the end of the game.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

The invincibility frame issues and weight affecting distance in arcane ways are both not great. The fact that dodging is so much more affected by your stats than either DS1 or Bloodborne is a problem when you combine it with enemies being more aggressive, shields less effective, and enemies being able to turn and track in insane ways. And the enemy animations are noticeably worse than DS1, I don't know about DS3 because I haven't played it. I could point to several enemies with problematic animations right off the top of my head, and there are late-game ones that are even worse.

DS2 isn't a bad game at all. But the DS game style requires lots and lots of little things to all come together just right. It only takes a few problems for stuff to start falling apart. That doesn't mean Dark Souls 2 is as bad as something like Lords of the Fallen, but it has some issues.

Health gems, health gems, health gems, health gems.

Pressing a button once and having 75% of all your health quickly and unstoppably restored makes any argument about excessive damage moot in 2. Health gems are quick, stacking, easy to get, they took all the sting out of 2 in PvE and PvP. If you snap off a big ole health gem in 2 in an invaders face more often than not they just left. Because that's 1200 hp of regen over like 6 seconds they will not get through.

Also there is no single enemy in 2 that does not immediately, and instantly regret tangling with you if you master the bucklers parry, which is both ludicrously long and ridiculously effective. Parry Velstadt, parry Drangleic, parry the pursuer, gently caress it parry the world. Follow up with a dagger or Muramasa and its Dark Souls for babies.

That if an invader was buck rear end naked you should be very afraid is not just an in-joke it is a legit thing. 2 was entirely about fashion souls and if you were over 40% weight that was you loving up.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

FactsAreUseless posted:

But DS2's health system also isn't a problem in a vacuum. It's a problem compounded by an unreliable dodging system, less fair enemy animations, etc.

You have finally articulated why I don't like DS2.

It's not really one particular thing - it's a perfect storm of a bunch of little things which add up to a poor Souls experience for me. It's weird to have such a dim spot in literally my favorite series of games, and I have really spent time trying to like it, to no avail.

The enemy animations are the WORST. The hallmark of the series is that it's rarely out and out bullshit, but enemies on turntables are such bullshit I just can't even.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Bed of chaos had better and more precise platforming than this loving meat circus level.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Feonir posted:

Pressing a button once and having 75% of all your health quickly and unstoppably restored makes any argument about excessive damage moot in 2. Health gems are quick, stacking, easy to get, they took all the sting out of 2 in PvE and PvP. If you snap off a big ole health gem in 2 in an invaders face more often than not they just left. Because that's 1200 hp of regen over like 6 seconds they will not get through.

Also there is no single enemy in 2 that does not immediately, and instantly regret tangling with you if you master the bucklers parry, which is both ludicrously long and ridiculously effective. Parry Velstadt, parry Drangleic, parry the pursuer, gently caress it parry the world. Follow up with a dagger or Muramasa and its Dark Souls for babies.

That if an invader was buck rear end naked you should be very afraid is not just an in-joke it is a legit thing. 2 was entirely about fashion souls and if you were over 40% weight that was you loving up.

I don't think life gems trivialize the game as much as people think because their healing effect is quite slow and you can get torn up in a matter of seconds if your health is compromised to begin with. I really like this dynamic

I'm Pro Life Gem myself, you don't have to use them but if you're getting frustrated with some of the more "LOL r0mhack" areas, you can rely on them for extra health that still isn't an instawin Estus chug because of how slowly it heals.

Gorsh you guys, DS2 was a sweet title with bombtastic pvp shienanigans and I can't believe I'm itching to replay it again after having just replayed it maybe six months ago, it's still more visually striking than DS3 in certain areas due to the colorful palette and nice polish it got in sotfs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The animations in Horizon: Zero Dawn are a little odd in the conversations. It seems that characters don't animate using any particular emotion, they are neutral while talking then snap into a smile or a scowl based on what's needed and it feels very off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

The animations in Horizon: Zero Dawn are a little odd in the conversations. It seems that characters don't animate using any particular emotion, they are neutral while talking then snap into a smile or a scowl based on what's needed and it feels very off.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Feonir posted:

Neither of these things are solutions for the game's problems. The issue isn't that it's too hard, it's not. It's the easiest Souls game I've played. The issue is that it has mechanical mistakes and a lot of cut corners.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

KingSlime posted:

it's still more visually striking than DS3 in certain areas due to the colorful palette and nice polish it got in sotfs
DS2 is an extremely pretty game, and it deserves a lot of credit for that. Majula, the Forest, and Heide's Tower are all gorgeous, and the game starts strong visually.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

DS2 is an extremely pretty game, and it deserves a lot of credit for that. Majula, the Forest, and Heide's Tower are all gorgeous, and the game starts strong visually.

I loved DS2 and the environments etc. The thing that made it a chore to play at all was the enemy tracking. Having played Dark Souls 3 first then expecting dodge rolling to work the same made the game confusing and aggravating for me.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Neither of these things are solutions for the game's problems. The issue isn't that it's too hard, it's not. It's the easiest Souls game I've played. The issue is that it has mechanical mistakes and a lot of cut corners.

Full disclosure I am super biased because I started with 2, went back to 1, dallied with 3 for a few hundred hours and each of them are of course not without flaws. I feel 2 just gets unfairly poo poo upon because they dared to try new things too.

Also NG +7 Darkeater Midir is a giant loving rear end in a top hat and it took the three of us SL150 idiots 3 hours to finish him off, and it was the best feeling ever. I will continue to slam my head against NG 8, 9 and 10 Midir because it hurts so very good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Feonir posted:

Full disclosure I am super biased because I started with 2, went back to 1, dallied with 3 for a few hundred hours and each of them are of course not without flaws. I feel 2 just gets unfairly poo poo upon because they dared to try new things too.

DS2 feels like the Mario Sunshine of Dark Souls to me. Probably the sloppiest one in the series, but on the other hand it's so packed full of cool stuff that it still manages to be my favorite.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
DS3 is the mario sunshine of Dark Souls because every area looks the god drat same and ends up not being visually interesting despite the high fidelity of the graphics (relatively speaking)

This is every level in Dark Souls 3:
:smith:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Dark Souls 3 is the Portal 2 of the series.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Agents are GO! posted:

I hope they enhance Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura next.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

There's a fast-forward button that gets rid of most of the waiting.
Too bad that was added fairly far into the games life in a patch and you're never told about it ingame!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Too bad that was added fairly far into the games life in a patch and you're never told about it ingame!

Oh, didn't know that. I first played the game a year ago and spotted in the key configs before I started the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Dark Souls 3 is the Portal 2 of the series.

At any rate I think we can all agree that the Dark Souls series is the Citizen Kane of videogames. Making it the Bioshock Infinite of videogames, if you will.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Correct. Modern games journalists have also informed me that every videogame is the dark souls of something or other. In other words, every videogame is bioshock infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

KingSlime posted:

People always say stuff like that in regards to DS2 but aside from the dumb having to level up your AGL design decision, I've played through DS2 multiple times with different builds and have yet to experience this wonkiness everyone complains about. It might be just the starting lovely roll that throws everyone off, or the idea that the first DS is "better" in every way despite its less-than-perfect mechanics

The enemy animations are at least very weird. The 2-handed mace wielding enemies in Heide's Tower are a good example. They have one animation where they can hold their mace above their head forever and another one where they do basically the same thing but they swing almost instantly and it swings around at ground level to catch you if you didn't dodge precisely. And so many attacks track so you get super punished for dodging early. With DS1 I didn't even realise there were invincibility frames the first time I played it because I'd roll out of the way, so when I found out about them it felt like a bonus I would abuse to get better positioning after the roll or push out extra attacks. In DS2 it feels like you're expected to abuse it just to not get hit by basic attacks because of how fast attacks come out and how hard the attacks track. Then a lot of enemies have attacks like the old hollow rush+spam attack so distances become weird too. Basically there's a lot of weirdness that takes away from anticipating enemies and using space and turns them more into memorising enemies and hitting dodge in reaction to tight windows.