Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The passengers were randomly chosen, please don't make this a weird reverse racism thing for goony idiots to run with. The problem is they assaulted him. Getting violent with a non-violent person, no matter what they did, is wrong 100% of the time.

Nah. What if they just won't leave the plane when you ask and you're a cop?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

waggles posted:

In the Schadenfreude thread the guy forced out is a doctor that has to see patients the next day. They gave his seat to a United employee.

He supposedly also got his face bashed hard enough while being forced off the plane that he was bleeding when he was put back on. So basically he got assaulted and forced off the plane to let a United employee fly in his place because they overbooked.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The passengers were randomly chosen, please don't make this a weird reverse racism thing for goony idiots to run with. The problem is they assaulted him. Getting violent with a non-violent person, no matter what they did, is wrong 100% of the time.

It's not reverse racism, it's marketing. If you get anyone but a White male from your random selection you select again.

I mean, how horrible would it be looking right now if the randomly chosen passenger had been a Muslim woman? If your plane is predominately filled with White people your only option from a marketing standpoint is to pick a White guy otherwise it just gets exponentially worse. Preferably a fat White guy. If Kevin Smith had been on the plane you'd pick him. And I say that as a fat White guy who looks not unlike Kevin Smith.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Choosing Kevin Smith would have freed up two seats, it's a no brainer.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Usually they pick the people who bought the cheapest seats.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
There's a simple solution, stop using overbooking.

vvv Late stage capitalism, have to find every extra cent you can, even if it makes your product less attractive. vv

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Apr 10, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

There's a simple solution, stop using overbooking.

It's a super weird practice for sure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
They have to. Margins are so thin that if they didn't overbook the empty seats that would result from no-shows would kill them.

Glazier posted:

vvv Late stage capitalism, have to find every extra cent you can, even if it makes your product less attractive. vv

There are two sides to this. The other side is that people don't want to pay more for airline tickets, so you can't just increase your margins to the point where you can do away with overbooking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Overbooking would have sorted itself out by now if it was a big enough issue for consumers. The occasional battered passenger is a small price to pay for keeping your planes as full as possible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maybe the dumbest move in all marketing was capitalism itself!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yeah, you're right, air travel was much better back before deregulation when the fares and routes were set by the state's regulators, airlines were *guaranteed a profit*, and all those poors couldn't afford to fly.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/how-airline-ticket-prices-fell-50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, you're right, air travel was much better back before deregulation when the fares and routes were set by the state's regulators, airlines were *guaranteed a profit*, and all those poors couldn't afford to fly.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/how-airline-ticket-prices-fell-50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/

Well, you could smoke on the plane and there were always just two larger seats in a row back then. Does sound a little better in that regard.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Phanatic posted:

They have to. Margins are so thin that if they didn't overbook the empty seats that would result from no-shows would kill them.

There are two sides to this. The other side is that people don't want to pay more for airline tickets, so you can't just increase your margins to the point where you can do away with overbooking.

So throw $20 onto the price of First/Business Class pax, they aren't price sensitive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I don't know how people being able to smoke on a plane is a net positive, and if you want wider seats those are still an option. But most people would rather a cheaper fare than a wider seat, which is why so many of them fly coach. In 1974 the cheapest price allowed by law for a NYC-LA flight was $1507 in current dollars; if you're willing to pay that much you can get a nicer seat now than you could get back then.

Glazier posted:

So throw $20 onto the price of First/Business Class pax, they aren't price sensitive.

Of course they are. Otherwise the airlines would already have done that. Just because the passenger isn't paying for his seat directly doesn't mean there's no price elasticity of demand there. My company will let me get business-class seats for international travel, but only coach seats domestically; if there was no price sensitivity there that wouldn't be the policy.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Apr 10, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Raising prices or reducing costs seem like more sensible solutions than selling more tickets than there are seats.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Raising prices or reducing costs seem like more sensible solutions than selling more tickets than there are seats.

Customers want cheap seats. Employees want good wages. Regulations require things like "maintenance" and "fuel reserves". So you are limited in how much you can raise prices or reduce costs. You are also limited in how much you can overbook a plane, because customers don't like being bumped. But they mind being bumped at the frequency they currently are a lot less than they mind higher prices, so that's what happens.

And of course they mind being punched in the face and laid out even more, so I'm betting United will wind up asking "Why didn't we just offer more than $800 to get volunteers?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Customers want cheap seats. Employees want good wages. Regulations require things like "maintenance" and "fuel reserves". So you are limited in how much you can raise prices or reduce costs. You are also limited in how much you can overbook a plane, because customers don't like being bumped. But they mind being bumped at the frequency they currently are a lot less than they mind higher prices, so that's what happens.

And of course they mind being punched in the face and laid out even more, so I'm betting United will wind up asking "Why didn't we just offer more than $800 to get volunteers?"

I dunno, somehow every other industry in the world manages to get by without selling things they don't have. I guess those companies are just corporate wizards or something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno, somehow every other industry in the world manages to get by without selling things they don't have. I guess those companies are just corporate wizards or something.

TIL that all industries operate under exactly the same constraints.

Besides, you're just wrong: a bunch of other industries do oversell and build their infrastructure for typical demand rather than peak demand: hotels, telephone companies, rental providers, internet service providers, etc. Trains would do it too, but trains have the advantage that they can sell a cheaper tier of tickets that don't guarantee you a seat, because people are allowed to stand and walk around on trains while they are in transit (and are also not weight-limited in the way that planes are).

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Apr 10, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Hotels do it, too. You book every room you have plus a couple more because 99.99% of the time someone won't show, and if everyone does you have reasonable plans to deal with it (alternate accommodation, free gifts).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phanatic posted:

I don't know how people being able to smoke on a plane is a net positive, and if you want wider seats those are still an option. But most people would rather a cheaper fare than a wider seat, which is why so many of them fly coach. In 1974 the cheapest price allowed by law for a NYC-LA flight was $1507 in current dollars; if you're willing to pay that much you can get a nicer seat now than you could get back then.

Smoking is cool. I don't even smoke, but I know it looks awesome, makes you look intriguing, and gives you something to do with your hands at parties. You're blowing out smoke like some sort of dragon. Not to mention it's a drug and drugs are cool too. Yeah, smoking is bad rear end.....what were we talking about again?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phanatic posted:

TIL that all industries operate under exactly the same constraints.

Besides, you're just wrong: a bunch of other industries do oversell and build their infrastructure for typical demand rather than peak demand: hotels, telephone companies, rental providers, internet service providers, etc. Trains would do it too, but trains have the advantage that they can sell a cheaper tier of tickets that don't guarantee you a seat, because people are allowed to stand and walk around on trains while they are in transit (and are also not weight-limited in the way that planes are).

So what you're saying is that we need planes with standing room.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

sassassin posted:

Hotels do it, too. You book every room you have plus a couple more because 99.99% of the time someone won't show, and if everyone does you have reasonable plans to deal with it (alternate accommodation, free gifts).

I am fairly sure that hotels don't pull guests out of their beds and drag them onto the streets if they have overbooked, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SpacePig posted:

So what you're saying is that we need planes with standing room.

No poo poo, RyanAir tried doing that, claiming ticket prices of just a few GBP, but it never went anywhere because it would violate CAA regs.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/travel/standing-cabin-plane-study/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

No poo poo, RyanAir tried doing that, claiming ticket prices of just a few GBP, but it never went anywhere because it would violate CAA regs.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/travel/standing-cabin-plane-study/

You really need to get re-accommodated

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Whoops. Great timing.

https://twitter.com/prweekus/status/842484619744178176

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

The last time I went to New York they booked my room to someone else expecting one of us to not show. We both did. They ended up giving me one of their suites instead.

It was a pretty nice suite.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Last time I flew on business, one of my flights got delayed, and I didn't land at my destination until 11pm. I can assure you that I was thrilled that they gave away my rental car, and tried to hype up the mini-van I was given instead.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Phanatic posted:

I don't know how people being able to smoke on a plane is a net positive, and if you want wider seats those are still an option.
Do you often not understand 'funny' things on the internet?

Phanatic posted:

Were they bumping boarded passengers in order to move crew? Ya, I'm thinking you just up the offer and take your lumps, it seems shortsighted in hindsight to drag a customer off the plane. Dark comedy indeed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

porktree posted:

Were they bumping boarded passengers in order to move crew? Ya, I'm thinking you just up the offer and take your lumps, it seems shortsighted in hindsight to drag a customer off the plane. Dark comedy indeed.

Yep. Given that the alternative is that you're now in a position where you need to cancel an entire flight because the crew didn't get there in time, it's doubly-hosed that you don't just increase the offer to get your four volunteers to get rebooked. It's still way cheaper than canceling.

Bonus: It's not even a United flight, it's a codeshare operated by Republic; all the decisions were made by Republic without any United employees being involved. I'm fine with United taking the heat they're taking; if you're going to paint your livery over someone else's plane and let them wear your uniforms to make it appear like they're you, then suck it up when they do something really dumb.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Phanatic posted:

I don't know how people being able to smoke on a plane is a net positive,

One possible net positive; Higher air quality in the cabin. When smoking was allowed they had to vent/refresh the air every 2-3 minutes with air from outside. When smoking was banned they could switch that to every 10-20 minutes, and use mainly recirculated air. The airlines love this as its way cheaper.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SiKboy posted:

One possible net positive; Higher air quality in the cabin. When smoking was allowed they had to vent/refresh the air every 2-3 minutes with air from outside. When smoking was banned they could switch that to every 10-20 minutes, and use mainly recirculated air. The airlines love this as its way cheaper.

I was really pissed off when I heard that.

Less chance of lung cancer is good, but every long haul I have been on I now get a respiratory infection.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"We just take carbon dioxide, freshen it up a little, then pump it back in. So you'll be breathing the same roomful of air for the rest of your flight. I just thought that was interesting."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spog posted:

I was really pissed off when I heard that.

Less chance of lung cancer is good, but every long haul I have been on I now get a respiratory infection.

Every second of every flight you are breathing in dozens of people's recycled farts. Enjoy your flight!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phanatic posted:

I legit don't understand that, because it's not like doing a no-show gets you a refund. Wouldn't someone missing their flight actually be cheaper, since you don't have to burn fuel for their weight and luggage?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

I legit don't understand that, because it's not like doing a no-show gets you a refund. Wouldn't someone missing their flight actually be cheaper, since you don't have to burn fuel for their weight and luggage?

You could still sell the empty seat, which apparently is needed to remain profitable?

All I know is that I ruled at AeroBiz and AeroBiz: Supersonic, so I have to assume that airlines' CEO's just aren't very good.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's more that they have to sell 102% of their seats in order to be profitable.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Atmus posted:

You could still sell the empty seat, which apparently is needed to remain profitable?

All I know is that I ruled at AeroBiz and AeroBiz: Supersonic, so I have to assume that airlines' CEO's just aren't very good.

Yeah so then you've got a seat you sold twice, sounds like a win to me. I know air travel is complicated and I fully believe there's logic to this I'm not seeing, but I don't get it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I sincerely think that if airlines would offer flights that were like $50-100 more but guaranteed there would be no children on board they would sell out those flights each and every time. I know I'd exclusively buy those tickets.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

spog posted:

I am fairly sure that hotels don't pull guests out of their beds and drag them onto the streets if they have overbooked, though.

If they overbooked but everyone showed, and then realised that four beds were needed for the cleaners that were essential to another night of guests to be roomed (because a member of staff forgot before handing out the keys), and for some reason none of the guests would accept the offer of $800 worth of meals & drinks in the restaurant to be roomed across the street instead, and it was against a bunch of regulations to let anyone sleep in the hallway, and the people actually in charge of policy at the hotel weren't available, then yeah, if someone chosen by lottery refused to move were confronted by 1 then 2 then 3 security personnel, then I think they might?

It's not like this was standard policy for any and all overselling issues. A series of mistakes were made leading to the assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Remember airlines have been making record profits since oil prices finally came down. They have not reversed fees related to those high fuel costs and haven't expanded their planes or routes, preferring to maximize the number of passengers per flight.

This overbooking to be profitable is bullshit. It's just more profitable to overbook and offer incentives in case everyone shows up. 9 times out of 10 you won't have to offer anything and you get to sell the same seat 2 or 3 times. Not this time. No, this instance isn't going to be very profitable for United at all.