Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

only one person in the universe has ever said the mac pad is bad and it is of no surprise to me that it's fishmech

sorry about stebe-induced brainwrongs causing you to like the terrible apple trackpads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
*slides two fingers softly to the left, watching the screen scroll in perfect harmony with their velocity*

Aghast, tis vile! Where be mine Winblows machine!

*frantically scrabbles at lovely Thinkpad touchplate*

Ah, much better. Narrowly avoided a fate worse than death just now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

*slides two fingers softly to the left, watching the screen scroll in perfect harmony with their velocity*

Aghast, tis vile! Where be mine Winblows machine!

*frantically scrabbles at lovely Thinkpad touchplate*

Ah, much better. Narrowly avoided a fate worse than death just now.

congrats on using your lovely touchpad, and pretending its good to justify buying your bad computer.

macs are bad, they've always been bad.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

fishmech posted:

congrats on using your lovely touchpad, and pretending its good to justify buying your bad computer.

macs are bad, they've always been bad.

I didn't say anything about macs being great, I said they have a great touchpad. I don't even like macs very much.

you're the jill stein to my clean nuclear power, fishmech.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i won't dispute this because it's subjective and I don't really like using MacOS that much but the mac pad is great
i thought people hated them so much they were justifiably called the "tragic macpad"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I didn't say anything about macs being great, I said they have a great touchpad. I don't even like macs very much.

they don't have a great touchpad, they don't have a great anything. because they are bad.

if you think they're good, it's because you have rdf-induced brainwrongs or possibly some sort of weird crippling disease in your hands.

anthonypants posted:

i thought people hated them so much they were justifiably called the "tragic macpad"

yep

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

fishmech please use all the charts and wiki articles at your disposal to prove your point.

also, please use at least one train analogy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech please use all the charts and wiki articles at your disposal to prove your point.

also, please use at least one train analogy.

sorry you're mad about your terrible input devices meant for terrible computers, bro. perhaps some day you can break your addiction to terrible hardware.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

fishmech posted:

sorry you're mad about your terrible input devices meant for terrible computers, bro. perhaps some day you can break your addiction to terrible hardware.

what is a good touchpad input device, fishmech? what do they use on the island of sodor?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Hello Spaceman posted:

I quickly ghetto-crimped some RJ45s using a flat-tip screwdriver and hammer – my crimping tool wasn't in the tool box.

there's no excuse to crimp when toolless keystone jacks are this cheap
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=310

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

what is a good touchpad input device, fishmech?
most synaptics touchpads are good, all mac trackpads are bad.

sorry about your smoothbrainism.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tragic macpad

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
trackpads: for when you want to control your computer by tickling a robot's taint

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Stymie posted:

trackpads: for when you want to control your computer by tickling a robot's taint

don't kink shame

burning swine
May 26, 2004

what is a good touchpad input device, fishmech? what do they use on the island of sodor?

there are no good touchpad input devices

touchpads are flawed conceptually

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

there are no good touchpad input devices

touchpads are flawed conceptually

yeah but you can at least have the decency to have left and right buttons provided separately, instead of literally having the entire touchpad tilt at the bottom to simulate having buttons. i.e. don't do the dumb apple thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

I call it that 'cause it's fun

I like to play doom with it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
hide fishmech threads
ignore fishmech posts
do not reply to fishmech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

my goth gf posted:

hide fishmech threads
ignore fishmech posts
do not reply to fishmech

sorry about your refusal to exit Macintosh Hell

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
macintosh is the most advanced computer in the world

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

yeah but you can at least have the decency to have left and right buttons provided separately, instead of literally having the entire touchpad tilt at the bottom to simulate having buttons. i.e. don't do the dumb apple thing.

they haven't tilted for a few years now

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

using any mouse in osx is like ur dragging the cursor through molasses

yeah its fuckin sweet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Shaggar posted:

using any mouse in osx is like ur dragging the cursor through molasses

i have a desktop PC and a macbook on my desk and i use a software KM switch called synergy. if you set your windows computer as the server and the mac as the client, the mac inherits windows cursor speed and acceleration. it's p sweet and needs suiting.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

polyester concept posted:

i have a desktop PC and a macbook on my desk and i use a software KM switch called synergy. if you set your windows computer as the server and the mac as the client, the mac inherits windows cursor speed and acceleration. it's p sweet and needs suiting.

I do the same thing with a windows and linux box and it's a godsend

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hello thread,

i have some fixed width markdown output that i want to add emojis to. Emojis are not the same width of everything else. Theyre not fixed width!!! what can i do to make emojis fixed width so my ugly markdown table lines up?

help me with computer !!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

obstipator posted:

hello thread,

i have some fixed width markdown output that i want to add emojis to. Emojis are not the same width of everything else. Theyre not fixed width!!! what can i do to make emojis fixed width so my ugly markdown table lines up?

help me with computer !!!
lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

literally never done web stuff for myself before (and i regret the decision that made me do it), what is the good domain registrar, or is it one of those where you pick whatever and it is fine?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
get a cheap one that isn't godaddy. i like moniker but everyone's got their preferences

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

namecheap

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

literally never done web stuff for myself before (and i regret the decision that made me do it), what is the good domain registrar, or is it one of those where you pick whatever and it is fine?
gandi is god's own registrar

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I used 1&1, it was very cheap for a domain, like $1 USD cheap.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gandi is god's own registrar

ty all, this was the cheapest and nicest-looking suggested on my first refresh of the thread, so i went ahead and grabbed a domain name there

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

get a cheap one that isn't godaddy. i like moniker but everyone's got their preferences

what's the issue with godaddy these days? i'm curious, I don't spend much time on domain registrars

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

what's the issue with godaddy these days? i'm curious, I don't spend much time on domain registrars
really incredibly lovely turnaround on change requests

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

really incredibly lovely turnaround on change requests

can't possibly be worse than networksolutions

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

can't possibly be worse than networksolutions
our primary domains at work are on netsol and we bought a customer that was on godaddy and this is false

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

our primary domains at work are on netsol and we bought a customer that was on godaddy and this is false

networksolutions told us that the domains we were transitioning from an acquisition had to be registered to a person, not an entity/business, and in order to successfully transfer them we'd have to assign an owner then wait the mandatory 60 days after such a change in order to process them

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I had a domain stuck on NS for years because I kept doing 1-year renewals and they didn't allow transfers if the domain was going to expire within 6 months

kept renewing, forgetting to start the transfer, then remembering only once it was too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

indentation is annoying to get working in emacs. https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CPlusPlusMode#toc2 has some more knobs you can touch

there are lots of loving knobs, often one per mode. i never stop finding new ones goddamnit

my coworkers are fanatics about using spaces instead of tabs so this was the magic incantation to get their preferred behavior on all files.

quote:

(setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
(setq c-basic-offset 2)
(setq cperl-indent-level c-basic-offset)
(setq js-indent-level c-basic-offset)
(setq sh-basic-offset c-basic-offset)

i assume tabs instead of spaces is just

quote:

(setq indent-tabs-mode t)
(setq c-basic-offset tab-width)
(setq cperl-indent-level c-basic-offset)
(setq js-indent-level c-basic-offset)
(setq sh-basic-offset c-basic-offset)

this poo poo seems to fix it for the modes i use routinely: java, scala, c, perl, js, ruby, shell, and yaml.

god knows how many other bandaids are required once you get outside my safe harbor