Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got a bit twisted up there, that's the transmission, not the oil pan right? I mean, it has to have an oil drain plug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/2005+2006+2007+Ford+Focus+Oil+Change/6141

Yep, even Ford can't gently caress up an oil pan drain plug right?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Meydey posted:

Looking at pics of how to change the oil on an 05 Focus and that has to one of the easiest filter locations ever. Almost makes me want to stop wrenching on my assortment of Japanese cars and get a For.... Nope. I promised myself after living with a Taurus for 2 years that I would never do Ford again.

I'll take an oil covered arm over a self grenading transmission any day.

This is (not) my 2016 wrx. The first time I popped the hood at the dealership, I was in disbelief.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

This is (not) my 2016 wrx. The first time I popped the hood at the dealership, I was in disbelief.

The standard others should be held to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Toyota V6 with the top mount filter. Run a line from the drain hole down along to the bottom of the skid plate.

Easy

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Having regretfully changed the oil in my (now sold) 2012 wrx every 7.5k miles for a couple years, when I saw the filter I reflexively said "oh my god" out loud

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Meydey posted:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/2005+2006+2007+Ford+Focus+Oil+Change/6141

Yep, even Ford can't gently caress up an oil pan drain plug right?

They did on mine, steel plug aluminium oil pan. Striped that oiled pan right good. Simple enough to replace the plug.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

That's got to be a factory installed relocate right? Because that is loving awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Counter point:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate engine covers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I hate engine covers.

I always thought that's what the hood was for.

But nope, someone decided you needed a secondary cover under the primary cover.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

How did this not get posted?

Subaru EJ25 with the plastic under tray thing missing was pretty easy though, didn't even need ramps.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I always thought that's what the hood was for.

But nope, someone decided you needed a secondary cover under the primary cover.

It's like that fancy bread that's wrapped twice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Do you have to lift the engine to change the plugs like a brz?

Edit:

This weekend I started to change the oil on my GLI for the first time and I discovered that while the filter is in a nice upright position in the engine bay the drain plug requires a t45 torx head which I didn't have. loving VW. Ordered a fumoto valve so once I do it this time I don't have to deal with it again.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 10, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Edit:

This weekend I started to change the oil on my GLI for the first time and I discovered that while the filter is in a nice upright position in the engine bay the drain plug requires a t45 torx head which I didn't have. loving VW. Ordered a fumoto valve so once I do it this time I don't have to deal with it again.

When I changed the plugs in my Impreza (smaller engine and no turbos but same engine compartment), I just had to remove the airbox and battery.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The truck nuts really make it special.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Imagined posted:

The truck nuts really make it special.

if only i could puzzle out what size those wheels are...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

FogHelmut posted:

When I changed the plugs in my Impreza (smaller engine and no turbos but same engine compartment), I just had to remove the airbox and battery.

The brz chassis is fairly different plus the engine sits lower and farther back.

I don't actually know how easy plug access is on them though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

http://47news.ru/articles/118838/

Google translate says a man was pissed at his wife for wanting to change her last name to "Verny" as part of a supermarket promotion so he filled her car with concrete. Russia.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get the mythbusters to load it with explosives.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At least it'll stiffen up the bodyshell, like drag racers do with engine blocks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jamal posted:

The brz chassis is fairly different plus the engine sits lower and farther back.

I meant same as the WRX, sorry.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

InitialDave posted:

It's quite common on autos. My Grand Cherokee had no drain plug on the gearbox or on the axles.

Can confirm that Ford's older automatics don't have one either - my C6 required dropping the pan.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Counter point:

Dafuq? Mine's a lot easier to get to, but still kinda wedged under the intake manifold.

Not my pic:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

That's got to be a factory installed relocate right? Because that is loving awesome.

They're all like that now, Forester, wrx, whatever. It's awesome. The only one I know isn't for sure is the STi, but that's because they're still on the ej25 platform which has a standard bottom located filter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Edit:

My Fumoto leaked quite a bit.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My Fumoto leaked quite a bit.

I've had fumotos on all of the cars I've owned for the past few years (a Miata, an FR-S, and a Fiesta ST) and never had them leak. Was it leaking on the valve side? Did you install it with a torque wrench? Did you use the crush washer?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

After, torque wrench, new crush washer. Definitely leaking from the valve itself.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

FogHelmut posted:

I meant same as the WRX, sorry.

Oh, same difference. I misread that.

Foresters and outbacks tend to be harder than the standard impreza/wrx because the crossmember sits lower. I guess I will find out soon enough when my mom's forester needs the plugs replaced.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Get a manual one. The MTX75 is pretty stout.

The 4F27E wasn't a bad transmission either, at least as far as 4 speed slushboxes go. Generally if they made it out of the warranty period they were good for the long haul.

They did have some teething issues though - I can remember people on the Focus forums being on their second or third warranty replacement transmission by the end of 30,000 miles.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My Fumoto doesn't leak or anything like it. Best thing ever.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On the way home this evening, I was passed by an interesting limo

Tried to get a photo, but you know, traffic and safety and whatnot.

But imagine the middle section of a late 80s Cadillac Brougham limo

The front end of a Rolls Royce Phantom

The back end of a Chrysler 300

Painted in rattlecan black

With body gaps big enough to put your hand in

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Spotted at Home Depot (Probably looking for more tape)

No comment

Source photo for the next Primus album cover spotted.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

jamal posted:

Had a look through the service manual, 16 pages just to remove the sparkplugs, and an engine hoist/hanger is required.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cbr0a4IuFw

I mean, everything is awesome, including the line I'm gonna quote. But I couldn't decide which thread nonetheless:

1m30s posted:

The cardboard is keeping the sparks from hitting the gas tank.

:allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cbr0a4IuFw

I mean, everything is awesome, including the line I'm gonna quote. But I couldn't decide which thread nonetheless:

:allears:

I think that line cements it as "wrong thread"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a parking company in edmonton that boots illegally parked vehicles on every offense, even the first, without a ticket or warning, and charges $300 to remove it.

There's a problem with that, it's illegal and the cops keep arresting the employees for it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/denver-boot-legal-1.4061275

I wonder if it's legal to cut it off and drive away.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Parking should be treated as public space. :colbert:

Having an empty lot next to a busy business just because the person that owns the lot doesn't want to share is a colossal waste of good land. Install meters and charge for it if you really feel you deserve compensation, but mandating it remain vacant just because the owner visits store A instead of store B? gently caress off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The cardboard is keeping the sparks from hitting the gas tank.
Nothing wrong with that, done it myself a few times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Powershift posted:

There's a parking company in edmonton that boots illegally parked vehicles on every offense, even the first, without a ticket or warning, and charges $300 to remove it.

There's a problem with that, it's illegal and the cops keep arresting the employees for it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/denver-boot-legal-1.4061275

I wonder if it's legal to cut it off and drive away.

If it's not government property, cutting it can't be any more illegal than it being put on there. I wonder how they'd respond if you pulled out a cordless angle grinder from the trunk? It'd probably be taken off pretty quickly.