Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

1/3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I hear a certain Lindy Ruff is looking for a new team to take to the playoffs

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

CBJSprague24 posted:

We can now compare the matchups in this format to what they would've been as God intended (1/8 seeding). Assuming the two division winners are still 1 and 2:

1) Washington vs 8) Toronto. Leafs don't avoid the crappy draw here.
2) Montreal vs 7) Boston. :getin:
3) Pittsburgh vs 6) Ottawa. Meh.
4) Columbus vs 5) New York Rangers. The Ballad of Rick Nash.

1) Chicago vs 8) Nashville. Does not change.
2) Anaheim vs 7) Calgary. Also does not change.
3) Minnesota vs 6) St. Louis/San Jose tiebreaker loser.
4) Edmonton vs 5) St. Louis/San Jose tiebreaker winner.

Anybody have a list of what the season results would look like if the NHL had 3 points for a regulation win?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Who are the "hot" coaching candidates?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Anybody have a list of what the season results would look like if the NHL had 3 points for a regulation win?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/what-would-the-playoffs-look-like-with-a-three-point-standings-system

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Dallas Eakins!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kevin Dineen, Assistant with Chicago
Travis Green, coach of the Utica Comets
Paul McLean, former coach of the Sens
Lindy Ruff, former Stars caoch

Really not a lot of good ones. There's no rush, hopefully the Canucks will play wait and see what happens after the playoffs.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Thanks. I kind of expected there to be more change in the standings, but the author makes the point that teams likely would have played differently under that system and that may have had more impact on the results than the actual difference in points.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

Really not a lot of good ones. There's no rush, hopefully the Canucks will play wait and see what happens after the playoffs.

they are due to take another recycled Habs coach... it worked before!!!!!

ThinkTank posted:

I don't feel any better

yellowcar posted:

Welcome to Vancouver, Michel Therrien.

ThinkTank posted:

Now I feel worse

fuckin :laffo:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Toronto's 15 loser points still don't see any change in a 3 point system what's the point.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Caps are operating under the assumption that Todd Reirden is gone after the playoffs. I think they felt lucky to keep him for this past year as they promoted him to "associate coach" just before the season started. I imagine he got a pay bump to stick around for another chance at a run at the cup before he walks.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 10, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
keenan

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone should give Jim Montgomery a good look

He's pretty good

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What is Adam Oates up to these days?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also does anyone have the annual "old points system and playoff matchups" analysis done yet?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

xzzy posted:

What is Adam Oates up to these days?

Still crashing team practices he's not invited to.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Although they sacked the assistant coaches as well and I thought Doug Lidster had done a reasonable job?

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
If Frankie was anything other than a lovely condo developer Trev et al would be following William out the door.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

nature6pk posted:

If Frankie was anything other than a lovely condo developer Trev et al would be following William out the door.

He's not even a condo developer. He's just always played with Daddy's 70s construction/property boom money. He's a second rate Donald Trump.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone should give Jim Montgomery a good look

He's pretty good
It was him and Eakins that are supposed to go for the Florida job.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

It was him and Eakins that are supposed to go for the Florida job.

Supposedly cats have ties to Montgomery going back years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is Ken Holland still employed?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

ThinkTank posted:

It's gonna be Marc Crawford again and I will never stop laughing

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Remember when everyone was saying that Tavares was going to walk as soon as his contract was up?

http://www.tsn.ca/tavares-hopes-to-sign-extension-this-summer-1.720434

There will never be another young big name free agent again.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

He'll probably re-sign because that's what all these young free-agents do but what else is he supposed to say right now?

"Nah, I really don't want to re-sign with the Islanders because they have given me garbage coaching and roster support" sounds cool but it really wouldn't go over well with anyone.

edit: That being said if any young big-name free agent were to leave I think Tavares leaving makes a lot of sense. Unlike Stamkos, Tavares is in a heavily taxed state and is on a team that really doesn't have a shot of competing any time soon.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 10, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that seems like a pretty standard response, really

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

yellowcar posted:

Still crashing team practices he's not invited to.

Hah wait what? (I feel like I've heard this story but remind me)

Aye Doc posted:

[Jack Cap crack]
this is a much more realistic outcome
Yeah I don't know why but for some reason this is where my gut is going as well

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So when do we start sarcastically welcoming teams to this thread?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

CommaToes posted:

So when do we start sarcastically welcoming teams to this thread?

at least wait until theyre trailing after the first period

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Remember when everyone was saying that Tavares was going to walk as soon as his contract was up?

http://www.tsn.ca/tavares-hopes-to-sign-extension-this-summer-1.720434

There will never be another young big name free agent again.

It was mostly Leafs fans saying that. Ditto with Stamkos.

Duke Chin posted:

Hah wait what? (I feel like I've heard this story but remind me)

He showed up to a Wild practice session and it pissed off Mike Yeo something fierce.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-yeo-speaks-out-on-turmoil-within-wild--adam-oates-intrusion-232612358.html

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 10, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Joe Juneau might be available because the team he's running for at risk Innu kids is getting shut down for not preventing enough crime.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is Ken Holland still employed?

I don't think there's any way they fire him going into the new arena or right after Illitch died. He probably finishes out his contract and then moves on to President of Hockey and Pizza Operations or whatever the gently caress next year.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

flakeloaf posted:

Joe Juneau might be available because the team he's running for at risk Innu kids is getting shut down for not preventing enough crime.

That story is sad as hell, although him making $200k for what amounts to running a minor hockey program raised my eyebrow a bit

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Isn't Gerrard Gallant still available? I think he's a good coach (not just because he won us a Memorial) and think the Panthers are morons for letting him go.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

ThinkTank posted:

He's done a ton of harm because he ended up with a 29th place finish but has been planning for a playoff run these last two years. He traded a ton of picks (more than Mike Gillis in half the time even though Gillis was running a cup contender) and prospects for short term fixes for no reason whatsoever. He tosses picks away like candy so much so that despite the fact this would be a dead last finish nearly any other year we once again don't have a full complement of picks going into the draft.

Seriously, go through his trade history and literally only his last two trades have any semblance of an eye to the future. He bleeds value in every single deal he makes, and he dramatically overpays for guys he targets then signs them to giant extensions.

He also bounces from short term issue to short term issue so we have to expend high draft picks on needs. Our defence was crappy for exactly one season so they traded McCann, the 33rd overall pick and a 4th round pick for Gudbranson and took Juolevi instead of the consensus selection Tkachuk. Defence fixed! Oh wait our offence sucks now, time to trade a defender for a forward! Rinse and repeat.

We could have Ehlers or Nylander and Tkachuk right now if they'd just taken the highest ranked players available but they selected Virtanen and Juolevi to plug holes in their lineup.

A top six of :

Tkachuk-Horvat-Nylander
XXX-2017 Pick-Boeser

would've been a great foundation moving forwards. Oh well, can't teach size and winning.

He also threw money and term at garbage players because they have leadership qualities or something and now we have over $20M tied up in Loui Eriksson, Brandon Sutter, Luca Sbisa, Erik Gudbrnason and Derek Dorsett players of such a low talent level they'd probably not crack the 4th line/bottom pairing of most teams in the league but have to be our core moving forward by default now. At the very least, no one will trade for any of them given what they're paid and how little they contribute.

So no, he's done a great deal of harm and it'll probably taken another 5-8 years to unravel this mess. You know, I think it might've been possible to rebuild the Canucks quickly back in 2014 if the team had tried that. Instead they didn't and we got 6 playoff games out of it and now it means a full teardown rebuild is necessary. Fun.

jesus this is so accurate and depressing. Last year the Sedins finished okay and there were a couple of wins and a silver lining but this year was incredibly depressing. When do they fire Benning?

e: Vey, Etem, Prust, Dorsett, now Sutter and Gudbranson. gently caress I hate Dorsett, what a spazz.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 10, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

i am the bird posted:

I don't think there's any way they fire him going into the new arena or right after Illitch died. He probably finishes out his contract and then moves on to President of Hockey and Pizza Operations or whatever the gently caress next year.

Or he just stays until he dies because he has no desire to give up the power and no one in the organization has the balls to tell him to gently caress off

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

Huggybear posted:

jesus this is so accurate and depressing. Last year the Sedins finished okay and there were a couple of wins and a silver lining but this year was incredibly depressing. When do they fire Benning?

After next year and we get another high draft pick I'd imagine. My misguided hope is they expose Sutter and he gets somehow taken and then resign/ship out Gudbranson for anything.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Huggybear posted:

Fire? They'll probably extend him.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Or he just stays until he dies because he has no desire to give up the power and no one in the organization has the balls to tell him to gently caress off

I forgot to add that he'll install Kris Draper as figurehead GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
e: this isnt the playoff one at all!

fits fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread