Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Real hurthling! posted:

Then why have them

Nintendo accommodates for all kinds of game players, that's why there are 7 different control options in Smash for Wii U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

MinibarMatchman posted:

David Jaffe's brand of edginess worked with Twisted Metal Black and the first God of War, but by the last GoW plus that rancid Twisted Metal game for PS3, someone should have loving stopped him. This new game is basically him with zero filters which is why it sucks so much

There was a time immediately after the first God of War but before Calling All Cars where he was given the green light to do anything he wanted after creating such a valuable IP, so he spent almost 18 months on a PSP game that he intended to be his masterpiece.but it never really came together.

This was a game that was supposed to be make you feel, make you mad at George Bush Jr. and the war in Iraq and to get the industry to rethink the way games could tell a story. In a first person shooter. On the PSP in 2007/8/9.

And since that idea never took off he's basically been trying to find himself for the last decade because he didn't want to be a career producer/director who only works on one franchise for his entire life. The results have been...interesting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, escapist magazine is literally unreadable on mobile. It renders half the article off the screen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing binary domain for the first time. Aiming feels bad. Does turning off auto aim help?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

an actual dog posted:

It's gonna be like the wii where like everyone has one

I don't think so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

This is not the first game to do it. Some western games have done it (infamously one did to hide load times) but DQB, Hatsune Miku, and Kingdom Hearts use the "feature" of blocking screenshots/streams at times for "stopping spoilers" or resolving weird copyright issues.

You're not "supposed" to stream Yakuza 0, but they didn't make the Share button literally stop working. I don't honestly care that much personally but it seems, to put it mildly, insane and ridiculous on the part of Atlus to try and keep people from streaming or screenshotting a game that practically begs to be YouTubed considering it's 100+ hours long and you can't see everything in the first playthrough, even if you played with a Max S. Link guide you'd still miss all those scenes early on that require max Guts or whatever.

Bad Atlus! Bad!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Disabling streaming is one thing, making it so you can't​ take screenshots? That's another level of inconvenience.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The stream and screenshot ban thing is one of the reasons I dropped to the lowest difficulty and started following the 100% first playthrough guide

Also even with a fast forward it's a huge chore to rewatch scenes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's just Atlus/Sega waving their dick around because they got told to by some Japanese suit who hadn't left his office for fifty years and is mad about drat kids and their streaming in my day we had to play outside in the street with a stick and a paper bag and we thought we were lucky.
It'll blow over and I bet everyone at Atlus wishes it had never happened.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

precision posted:

You're not "supposed" to stream Yakuza 0, but they didn't make the Share button literally stop working. I don't honestly care that much personally but it seems, to put it mildly, insane and ridiculous on the part of Atlus to try and keep people from streaming or screenshotting a game that practically begs to be YouTubed considering it's 100+ hours long and you can't see everything in the first playthrough, even if you played with a Max S. Link guide you'd still miss all those scenes early on that require max Guts or whatever.

Bad Atlus! Bad!

Yeah my friends aren't into SMT but are the type of people who would really dig its vibe so I wanted to be the one to walk them through it! It was gonna be a blast, and they're looking for their next game after having finished FFXV

Oh well they can always YouTube it if they want to learn more, though I doubt it. This is the same group of friends who for some reason have never gotten around to playing Bloodborne despite not having any objections to it or anything. "Yeah that game looks cool, I gotta get it sometime" - the owner of their shared PS4, six months ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goddamn, it's been ten years since Ventrilo Harassment came out? Feels like an eternity ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESS52lKuNRw&hd=1

Definitely the epitome of "someone who had something and could have gotten a serious following with their shenanigans, but didn't make the most of their 15 minutes when they had them"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTf2-RgpiQ&hd=1

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't get why they would block streaming, and I don't get why people would have a problem with it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's just Atlus/Sega waving their dick around because they got told to by some Japanese suit who hadn't left his office for fifty years and is mad about drat kids and their streaming in my day we had to play outside in the street with a stick and a paper bag and we thought we were lucky.
It'll blow over and I bet everyone at Atlus wishes it had never happened.

I just want to record myself fighting Berseria bosses is that so much to ask.

I guaran-loving-tee you the licensing of Sakuraba's music isn't that valuable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serf posted:

I don't get why they would block streaming, and I don't get why people would have a problem with it.

They probably don't think people have a problem with it because the blocking of streaming has been a frequent and common thing for Japanese games but most of them just shrug at the idea of getting around it with capture cards and Atlus (or rather some rear end in a top hat at Atlus Japan) decided to go one step forward in the stupid.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There was a time immediately after the first God of War but before Calling All Cars where he was given the green light to do anything he wanted after creating such a valuable IP, so he spent almost 18 months on a PSP game that he intended to be his masterpiece.but it never really came together.

This was a game that was supposed to be make you feel, make you mad at George Bush Jr. and the war in Iraq and to get the industry to rethink the way games could tell a story. In a first person shooter. On the PSP in 2007/8/9.

And since that idea never took off he's basically been trying to find himself for the last decade because he didn't want to be a career producer/director who only works on one franchise for his entire life. The results have been...interesting.

It's weird, I've never played a David Jaffe game in my life (well, maybe some of the old Twisted Metals at a friend's house) but I kind of like him solely based on that one time he was on Giantbomb's E3 podcast. I can't remember what game he was talking about seeing on the show floor, but he really drilled down into its gameplay mechanics and underlying systems in a way that I admired.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 10, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

There's a genetic predisposition to motion sickness that turns Japanese gamers away from first-person games.

Really?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did the Japanese release of Persona 5 have the streaming ban too/was there a backlash

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Did the Japanese release of Persona 5 have the streaming ban too/was there a backlash

Yes, it did. I had videos I put up of the Japanese version taken with my own capture card pulled.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Living in the East Coast gives you an extra reason to hate people who live on the West Coast, since when they bitch about heat it's always preferable to what we have. I would rather have a 110° dry heat day than a 85° day at 80% humidity.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the streaming culture is almost totally Western in nature.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it's a myth, but one of those that just got reported so much that everyone just assumes it's true without thinking about it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They probably don't think people have a problem with it because the blocking of streaming has been a frequent and common thing for Japanese games but most of them just shrug at the idea of getting around it with capture cards and Atlus (or rather some rear end in a top hat at Atlus Japan) decided to go one step forward in the stupid.

What did they do with capture cards?

Also if they wanted to avoid spoilers, are they not aware that you can just take a picture of the screen with your magic box and send it to anyone in the world? I've done this a few times already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serf posted:

What did they do with capture cards?

Also if they wanted to avoid spoilers, are they not aware that you can just take a picture of the screen with your magic box and send it to anyone in the world? I've done this a few times already.

Most streaming blocks are set on the console level so you can get around it by just streaming off a capture card. Most studios just quietly ignore that. Atlus threatened to give people strikes if they did it and that's an extremely heavy thing to threaten streamers with because it has have a huge negative impact on them financially.

As far as the second part: Yes, that is why it is remarkably stupid and had the opposite effect, making people spread spoilers to spite them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Living in the East Coast gives you an extra reason to hate people who live on the West Coast, since when they bitch about heat it's always preferable to what we have. I would rather have a 110° dry heat day than a 85° day at 80% humidity.

I think the streaming culture is almost totally Western in nature.

The Appalachians make the whole east coast an armpit for 3 months and extend the subtropics further north than they should be

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They hedge that later in the piece but it certainly seems like it's the case. It would definitely explain how cameras work in a lot of Japanese games. Even ones where the camera is fine, I generally have to go into options and speed it up to get it closer to something I'm used to.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah I didn't see that there was a second page to that thing

I have to change the camera speed or mouse sensitivity of 75% of the games I play, perhaps it is I who is the genetic freak

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In his new video Jim Sterling casually says that Bulletstorm was as good as Breath of the Wild.

I have to tip my hat to such brave trolling. RIP Jim Sterling's ISP.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the unreal 4 engine demo thing that randy pitchford did recently made me laugh, he seems nervous and sweaty as gently caress, like he knows Gearbox is just hosed and they should have spent their time on BL3 instead of Battleborn. Hearing that they're only just starting that game....yikes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's epic trolling to say a good game is as good as another good game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gearbox loving sucks and I'm glad they're floundering so hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

In his new video Jim Sterling casually says that Bulletstorm was as good as Breath of the Wild.

He gave it the same score

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Real hurthling! posted:

Working the long con I see

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
In the span of a month he went from apologizing to Sonic fans saying how much better they are than Zelda fans, to having to do the same thing again when he incurred the wrath of the spurned Rareware collective. They who hold no allegiance but to the almighty googly-eyes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

I never played Bulletstorm, was it any good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

I never played Bulletstorm, was it any good?

Bulletstorm is a really fun arcade-style shooter though the remaster is pretty lazy and the Duke Nukem bonus is hilariously awful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Bulletstorm is a really fun arcade-style shooter though the remaster is pretty lazy and the Duke Nukem bonus is hilariously awful.

Is there some weird secret reason it didn't make any money? I remember tons of hype for it and then it came out and vanished.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

At least as good, implying it might be even better. At this point he's gonna milk the Breath of the Wild anger for all it's worth and I can't blame him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
afaik the marketing was kind of lovely and didn't reflect the actual game very well

also yeah the remaster is hilariously garbage, there's effectively no reason to buy it on pc unless you don't want to deal with gfwl and their entire justification for pricing it at $50 is incredibly lazy duke nukem pre-order dlc featuring the worst line reads john st. john has ever done

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

Is there some weird secret reason it didn't make any money? I remember tons of hype for it and then it came out and vanished.

The marketing was lovely, the game got knocked for being short (which it is), and it just came out at a bad time.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

4X games feel kind of aimless to me without a dedicated single-player campaign, I'm not any good at "making my own fun" or finding storylines within them.

historical games already have the historical narrative to provide context and contrast. if you are playing as some american tribe, modernizing and fighting off the european colonizers, well that story pretty much writes itself

space 4x games dont have that context and as such are all about the exploration and discovery but that aspect wasnt very fun in Stellaris, at least at release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sometime around 2010 it was decided that every game needed to be a gazillion hour open world game or an esport and Bulletstorm came out on the wrong side of that.

• Locked thread