Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mean there's 4 lanes with 5 champions. Someone's gonna have to share.

edit: Won a 50 minute game today :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think the problem is it's hard for an individual to experiment with off meta poo poo without ruining the game for at least 4 other people (up to 9 if the enemy team considers total stomps a waste of time too) but modern e-gaming is also sorta set up in a way where it's actually hard to find people to consistently play with cause you don't build the same sense of community you got in days of past with servers/channels. If you're not being a dick you can really only try truly egregious meta breaking stuff in a 5 man of people who want to do stuff like that but I'd say it's p uncommon for those sorts of groups to form.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teikanmi posted:

I mean there's 4 lanes with 5 champions. Someone's gonna have to share.

edit: Won a 50 minute game today :feelsgood:

Never understood this, personally. Why not just have 4-man teams? Or 6-man teams and 2 lanes share.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

112J exists in the first place because it's a very efficient way to distribute team resources and have a good composition. Other setups tend to just get outscaled by it, for example with double jungle you're banking on getting enough of an early lead to make up for whatever inefficiency you've created e.g. your ADC having to lane 1v2 and getting zoned off the wave and being behind on items.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tales of Woe posted:

112J exists in the first place because it's a very efficient way to distribute team resources and have a good composition. Other setups tend to just get outscaled by it, for example with double jungle you're banking on getting enough of an early lead to make up for whatever inefficiency you've created e.g. your ADC having to lane 1v2 and getting zoned off the wave and being behind on items.

I get the feeling whenever someone suggests an alternate to 112J, they don't mean it as in matching Other Thing vs. Existing 112J; rather, they envision Other Thing vs. Other Thing, like how it's 112J vs. 112J right now.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Nunu is back baby!!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
You'd see a lot more variations in lane if champs could 1v2 without getting completely crushed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I think champs that are as strong as two champs is a good idea, but only if I'm the one champ and not the two champs.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

kingcobweb posted:

Nunu is back baby!!!

Yay

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Addamere posted:

I get the feeling whenever someone suggests an alternate to 112J, they don't mean it as in matching Other Thing vs. Existing 112J; rather, they envision Other Thing vs. Other Thing, like how it's 112J vs. 112J right now.

Right, but the point is that the structure of the game would have to change in some way for Other Thing to beat 112J. More champs who can 1v2 farm a lane might do it, but then you have a game full of Ziggs and we've seen how miserable the game gets when Ziggs is good.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Addamere posted:

They have that. It's called ARAM/Twisted Treeline/Dominion.

Snark aside, that would require both teams to agree to play that variant, which basically requires another queue and comes with its own set of issues.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

You'd see a lot more variations in lane if champs could 1v2 without getting completely crushed.

Play Illaoi, be the garbage you want to see in the world.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
No ones letting my illidoi go botlane.

Like, smite support nunu is a cool idea that doesn't work because your 60000 game jinx main is going to get absolutely murdered by any botlane pair. Your 1v2 capable dude doesn't have to be an adc, but until people get used to 1v2 lanes, it kinda does.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I can see a low economy wave clear capable mage 1v2ing bottom, but there's not enough economy in the Jungle to double jungle successfully.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kingcobweb posted:

Nunu is back baby!!!

Why God, why? What did we do to deserve this horror?!? :cripes:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will ump is cool and good.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Hey I'm new to lol and still getting used to everything, but isn't the reason you put two players in bot lane is if there was just one, the enemy team would just gank them and take dragon? So if you wanted to break up the 112J meta, wouldn't they need to make killing the Herald more worthwhile?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Triple-Kan posted:

Hey I'm new to lol and still getting used to everything, but isn't the reason you put two players in bot lane is if there was just one, the enemy team would just gank them and take dragon? So if you wanted to break up the 112J meta, wouldn't they need to make killing the Herald more worthwhile?

If the Herald's ever better then you just get 211J

Riot currently actively avoids having the map be symmetrical objective-wise because a lot of people really hate watching lane swap openings in pro play

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the reason that its good to have the 1-1-j-2 lanes we've always had is that any time adcs get viable it makes a lot of people lose their mind, and then they make adcs total garbage and it makes me personally miserable, but i actually enjoy the challenge secretly so

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Addamere posted:

Never understood this, personally. Why not just have 4-man teams? Or 6-man teams and 2 lanes share.

4-man teams would be bad because there are upwards of a dozen champs that are completely worthless in a solo lane or jungle, their entire identity and playstyle is oriented around helping a partner or team for the entire game.

Sure, you could overhaul all of those characters from the ground up but then you're alienating a massive section of the playerbase to appeal to a significantly smaller minority who wants change for undefined reasons.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

No ones letting my illidoi go botlane.

Like, smite support nunu is a cool idea that doesn't work because your 60000 game jinx main is going to get absolutely murdered by any botlane pair. Your 1v2 capable dude doesn't have to be an adc, but until people get used to 1v2 lanes, it kinda does.

Here is my stunning proof that it does work. One match among silvers/golds is enough for proof, right? All I did was help Lee get started in the jungle by using chomp and smite on the first two camps, giving him bloodlust, then went to safeguard our adc for a bit before I started to roam with Lee.

http://imgur.com/a/NEbQF

Heh... case closed.

:colbert:

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 11, 2017

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
An 11 game losing streak is good, right?

ff20 last 2 too.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I like AP Kog mid

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean from what I recall of professional 1v2 lanes, which have existed a few times, you get a renekton or a shen scraping up farm while cowering under their turret for 10 mins and it's not exciting to watch at all and just becomes a question of which jungler can swing into the lane with the duo and help 3 man the turret fastest, after which the solo farms under his tier 2 turret and the duo doesn't go past the river because it isn't safe and please kill me watching non interactive euro lane swaps is like watching paint dry.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Shortest Path posted:

4-man teams would be bad because there are upwards of a dozen champs that are completely worthless in a solo lane or jungle, their entire identity and playstyle is oriented around helping a partner or team for the entire game.

Sure, you could overhaul all of those characters from the ground up but then you're alienating a massive section of the playerbase to appeal to a significantly smaller minority who wants change for undefined reasons.

Alternately, those champions could have just not been introduced in the first place?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decided to make a new account named after my SA username and the first game it lets me queue for PVP (apparently you have to be Level 3 now to do so?) is against some Level 30 bronze tryhard Yasuo with the High Noon skin who mocks everyone in all chat for being terrible and in the post-game lobby is all like "you act like I have an advantage" when told that dunking on people with Level 3 accounts is a dick move. But for real, what is the logic behind League of Legends punishing newbies by not letting them have access to masteries, runes, and spells? Like, with the exception of I guess Nunu you can't even jungle without Smite and if "should Flash exist?" is a point of discussion in the League meta now as it has been in years past then I think we can all definitely agree it should not exist in games where everyone else doesn't have a chance to pick it. Holy loving poo poo gently caress that shithead.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Addamere posted:

Decided to make a new account named after my SA username and the first game it lets me queue for PVP (apparently you have to be Level 3 now to do so?) is against some Level 30 bronze tryhard Yasuo with the High Noon skin who mocks everyone in all chat for being terrible and in the post-game lobby is all like "you act like I have an advantage" when told that dunking on people with Level 3 accounts is a dick move. But for real, what is the logic behind League of Legends punishing newbies by not letting them have access to masteries, runes, and spells? Like, with the exception of I guess Nunu you can't even jungle without Smite and if "should Flash exist?" is a point of discussion in the League meta now as it has been in years past then I think we can all definitely agree it should not exist in games where everyone else doesn't have a chance to pick it. Holy loving poo poo gently caress that shithead.

that guy was so bad that the matchmaking system assessed his level to be around that of a level 3 player with no runes and masteries. i think that says it all really

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Addamere posted:

Sounds like you're pretty mad, have you considered getting less mad at a video game and it's player base?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

mistaya posted:

I mean from what I recall of professional 1v2 lanes, which have existed a few times, you get a renekton or a shen scraping up farm while cowering under their turret for 10 mins and it's not exciting to watch at all and just becomes a question of which jungler can swing into the lane with the duo and help 3 man the turret fastest, after which the solo farms under his tier 2 turret and the duo doesn't go past the river because it isn't safe and please kill me watching non interactive euro lane swaps is like watching paint dry.

Yeah and playing it is loving terrible, because now players are getting a lot more comfortable with turret aggro juggling. It gets so much worse if you're melee than ranged but no, I don't think anyone clamors for that poo poo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Luna Was Here posted:

Sounds like you're pretty mad, have you considered getting less mad at a video game and it's player base?

let them rant, it's good for the soul. :)

but seriously, all random summoner rift is so bad and so lazy. Give me the pirate game mode, I want to try the new items again.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Tired Moritz posted:

but seriously, all random summoner rift is so bad and so lazy. Give me the pirate game mode, I want to try the new items again.

i wish they would bring that back. had lots of fun turning my minion wave into 6 mad football hooligans

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tired Moritz posted:

Addamere posted:

But for real, what is the logic behind League of Legends punishing newbies by not letting them have access to masteries, runes, and spells? Like, with the exception of I guess Nunu you can't even jungle without Smite and if "should Flash exist?" is a point of discussion in the League meta now as it has been in years past then I think we can all definitely agree it should not exist in games where everyone else doesn't have a chance to pick it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Addamere posted:

Alternately, those champions could have just not been introduced in the first place?

Not sarcastic, at that point maybe consider just playing a different MOBA? Like discussing how adc bot doesn't need to be a constant is one thing but at the point where you're like "if we just remove an entire class of champion and a defined role and change the number of players" then probably you'd be better served looking elsewhere. Riot has been nothing but transparent about their goals for the game to follow a meta and their balancing being based on it. They have had alternative modes before and conclusively shown they don't want to or can't put in the effort to support them, as evidenced by the death of dominion and the vastly smaller amount of balance fixes for TT.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fair point

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

they wanted to give a sense of progression and it's now crippling the ease of entry of the game. hopefully, they'll just remove it soon and buff up the mastery system.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tired Moritz posted:

they wanted to give a sense of progression and it's now crippling the ease of entry of the game. hopefully, they'll just remove it soon and buff up the mastery system.

"You have to buy champions over time instead of having access to all of them at the start like in Dota 2" wasn't enough? Especially since they added Champion Mastery, one would think that would be enough. I hope you're right.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Addamere posted:

"You have to buy champions over time instead of having access to all of them at the start like in Dota 2" wasn't enough? Especially since they added Champion Mastery, one would think that would be enough. I hope you're right.

It was different when league first launched. When it originally cost money, this was a good idea because the idea of progress to a new character is what kept the game from outright dying if it wasn't good. There was like 40 or so champions at this time so the idea want outrageous, but now that we're at 120 or whatever and half of them are priced at the highest tier of ip is where it gets ridiculous.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luna Was Here posted:

It was different when league first launched. When it originally cost money, this was a good idea because the idea of progress to a new character is what kept the game from outright dying if it wasn't good. There was like 40 or so champions at this time so the idea want outrageous, but now that we're at 120 or whatever and half of them are priced at the highest tier of ip is where it gets ridiculous.

I know it's not really comparable in terms of either audience or release date, but my go-to response for this kind of discussion is "Dota 2 released with 100 champions and didn't do that".

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Kassadin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Addamere posted:

I know it's not really comparable in terms of either audience or release date, but my go-to response for this kind of discussion is "Dota 2 released with 100 champions and didn't do that".

Dota 2 is a prestige product for a very bad company that has a massive source of income outside of making games

• Locked thread