Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Getting beaten or outplayed is not the same as being outcoached, also no one thinks that Kerr is a god he's just a good basketball coach lmao.

Did Steve Kerr kick you in the nuts or something? What is going on here.

Like the thing that set this off was some random dude saying that Steve Kerr was the fifth best coach in a league of bad coaches.
It's not a league of bad coaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can come up with maybe like 5 coaches I think are bad. Most of the other bad teams are products of their front office being garbage.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Paul Zuvella posted:

I still think it's Eric Gordon, possibly even Lou Williams again.

Gordon is 21st in WS for players that are eligible for 6th man of the year and 52nd in VORP

patonthebach posted:

Yeah there is four positions with more depth right now than centres

SG and PF certainly don't. There are like a total of 20 league average or better players at those 2 positions. SF is probably pretty close. Just from a quick BB Ref check I see that 16 of the top 50 players by WS are centers and 14 of the top 50 players by VORP are centers.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lockback posted:

Actually, that might convince me Lou Williams is the right guy.

David Lee also has a kind of hilarious and unexpected case:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...1.0&order_by=ws

This chart makes me wonder about a dumb unrelated question: Is the guy that runs basketball reference anonymous? I can find him crediting other people's data and stuff but can't find his own name. Given that the guy invented win shares for the NBA, I'm just kinda curious what his credentials are. I mean I know that WS's are an adaptation of ORTG and DRTG as made by Dean Oliver and the explanation behind them on the website is totally sound, I'm just curious.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

leftist heap posted:

James Harden deserves an award for slyly pinching Draymond Green in the belly.

MVP

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It's not a league of bad coaches.

Yeah, I don't get why this is such a common thought.

For example, Earl Watson is widely considered a bottom 5 coach or even the worst coach in the league. That may be true but I've been pretty impressed with him this year, honestly. It's a bad team but they've showed real growth over the course of season and everyone gets along so :shrug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

MVP

For example, Earl Watson is widely considered a bottom 5 coach or even the worst coach in the league. That may be true but I've been pretty impressed with him this year, honestly. It's a bad team but they've showed real growth over the course of season and everyone gets along so :shrug:

Let me tell you about a man named Fred Hoiberg...

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
NBA should have more awards. Like the best shot blocker and show tons of cool blocks.

Also the NBA should have an equivalent of the Lady Byng. Who is the most gentlemanly player on the court?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most Stoned Player

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Let me tell you about a man named Fred Hoiberg...

Hoiberg is kinda getting David Blatt'd by being in a weird situation that is not a good fit. However, he also seems like a bad coach, so I'm not too worried.

Earl Watson is kind of in the same boat as Sam Mitchell last year. They didn't get Wins, but that wasn't really the point. Players developed and were building some kind of identity. I don't really think that's failing, I'd rather have a coach do that than try to eek out a 30 win season where no one gets better.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

euphronius posted:

Most Stoned Player

Finally an award Kanter can win

Once he's extradited/deported

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Best Dunker should be an award. Just to encourage players to try and make sick dunks instead of simple two handers or layups

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

tumor looking batty posted:

Stevens is the best

lol. I'd argue he isn't even the third best. A lot of times people who argue Stevens is the best pretend players like Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley, IT, and Horford are bad players. They aren't. A better coach could probably do more with the team. If Pop or Carlisle (and maybe even Spo) were coaching the Celtics atm, I'd say they would have a better shot at making the Finals than they currently do.

Lockback posted:

There was a bunch of stupid stuff because Deron and Sloan butted heads so people were calling DWill a coach killer. But Sloan resigned and then they traded Deron anyway. Deron didn't know he was traded until he heard it on ESPN, and seemed upset about it. Basically, Sloan should have retired a few years earlier and the media decided Deron would be the scape goat because Jerry Sloan was a legend, etc.

Don't forget DWill also went on to kill his next coach.

WhyteRyce posted:

I appreciate that Kerr tries to keep it simple and go with what works. Contrast that guys like Mark Jackson who would try to force feed Harrison Barnes in the post because of "mismatches" or Avery Johnson who felt that he had to get Josh Howard going early

I laughed about the Howard early part because it's a running joke in my group of friends about how "we like to get Josh going eaaaaaaaarly." If Josh didn't get going eaaaaaaarly, he usually did nothing on the offensive end that game. It's a shame injuries ruined his career and lazy people think "weed ruined him." While I would never claim Mark Jackson is better than Kerr (he isn't imo), force feeding Barnes in the post because of mismatches has worked out well for him this year.

Away all Goats posted:

Best Dunker should be an award. Just to encourage players to try and make sick dunks instead of simple two handers or layups

I like this idea but it would kill the dunk contest.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 10, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Steve Kerr won with Mark Jackson's team. Really Mark should have that ring

Hi Mark

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It's just really easy to be frustrated by an on court product. There's a lot that goes into being a coach and as fans all we really see for the most part is play execution. I really liked this description of Casey from a page ago.

BWV posted:

Dwayne Casey is the worst coach because he is too good to get fired, too decent of a man to truly hate, and too limited/scared as an in-game coach to ever give his team a real tactical advantage.

I whine about him being garbage all the time but it's mostly venting. He's not even close to being the worst coach in the league, but he's imminently frustrating in ways that are really obvious and make me want to whine a lot.

Similarily, 'good' coaches can be good at different things in team development. Casey seems like a good coach for helping a young, bad team get it's act together. He doesn't seem so good at putting your team over the top into contendership. But there's this idea that you're either 'good' or 'bad' when really there's lots of skill sets out there that may or may not suit the team you're working with.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 10, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dexo posted:

Defensive Player of the year I agree with. But ehh at All NBA.

And I'm a Noah fan and defender.

I mean it's a little weird to say "if I'm building a starting roster of the best players in the league I don't want the best defensive player in the league on it"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://deadspin.com/mark-jacksons-church-tried-to-heal-steph-currys-ankle-w-1794182510

quote:

On an off day Curry visited True Love Worship Center International, the church where Jackson and his wife Desiree were pastors. As Thompson explains it, the service included a portion in which the members jogged around, which meant Curry, who was still being careful while healing from his recent surgery, participated.

There was also a scene in which Curry was brought up to the front of the congregation by Desiree, and had his ankle anointed in oil. He had planned on going back to his seat when Jackson’s wife stopped him...

Curry played in 78 games that season after 26 in the previous campaign, so that oil might have been Mark Jackson’s most effective move.

Mark Jackson and his Church literally changed the course of Steph Curry's career.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't blame him but if you want to be smug about it at least explain it better. Not some vague but it's better.

I mean he did that for the defensive side.

I got lazy. Sorry.

The offense the Warriors currently run has never been run by anyone before, at least not at the NBA level. It has pieces of D'Antoni's offense and pieces of the Triangle, but without the point guard dominance and seven seconds or less speed of the former, or the slowdown and assigned spots on the court. If the fast break fails, the triangles form wherever the players happen to be. There is no dominant ball handler. It is all about screening, cutting, re-screening, re-cutting, with everyone reading and reacting like a pseudo-point guard when they get the ball. Rather than trying to get a fast, pretty good shot like D'Antoni, Kerr tries to get the defense to stretch until it breaks down and they get a wide open look.

If the Warriors ran D'Antoni's system, Curry easily would have as many assists as Nash used to get. But they would lose a lot more games.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

attackmole posted:

It's just really easy to be frustrated by an on court product. There's a lot that goes into being a coach and as fans all we really see for the most part is play execution. I really liked this description of Casey from a page ago.

I whine about him being garbage all the time but it's mostly venting. He's not even close to being the worst coach in the league, but he's imminently frustrating in ways that are really obvious and make me want to whine a lot.

yea that's basically what i meant. Worst from a fan perspective cause he's such a great guy, gets the team to play hard, and is just good enough to get you so mad when he plays Carroll meaningful minutes and benches JV for no reason.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Oh, and I'm not saying Kerr is the best coach in the NBA or anything. The top three are Pop, Spolstra and Carlisle. I'm just pushing back against the lazy "Kerr inherited a teams of superstars and just rolls the ball out there" bullshit.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

predicto posted:

If the Warriors ran D'Antoni's system, Curry easily would have as many assists as Nash used to get. But they would lose a lot more games.

Curry is not as good at passing as Nash was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/851491995080167425

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Boogie is great

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Paul Zuvella posted:

I still think it's Eric Gordon, possibly even Lou Williams again.

Hopefully it is Lou Will and that prompts Drake to release 6man v2.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

leftist heap posted:

Who do people think should win 6th Man. IMO Kanter was robbed last year and deserves it this year too. He puts up crazy numbers for a guy who does 21mpg.

Zbo

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
When does MVP voting take place?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

:captainpop:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I don't know that there's a dearth of good centers in the league, but I do think there's a dearth of good centers in the league that can play the way the league is evolving. It's no longer just an "around the basket" position.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ayyyyyyyyyy dig that

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Lou Williams had two girlfriends at one point and should definitely receive some kind of award for that, I suggest the Presidential Medal of Freedom

lmbo

e: re: coachchat I'm amazed by how well the D'Antoni hiring worked out. Roy Rogers has to be in the discussion for Assistant Coach of the Year for getting the Rockets defense to league average.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 10, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I don't know that there's a dearth of good centers in the league, but I do think there's a dearth of good centers in the league that can play the way the league is evolving. It's no longer just an "around the basket" position.

Hibbert has probably wished for a time machine more than anyone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What's funny about Gordon is he is having nearly identical production as he did his last season in NOLA.

Except for the whole games played thing, which is really rather important, imo.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Noctone posted:

I mean it's a little weird to say "if I'm building a starting roster of the best players in the league I don't want the best defensive player in the league on it"
Its been true a lot of times though.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Miss you Boogz

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ladies and Gents, welcome Yogi to the 10 ppg or more rookie club.
http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2991018/yogi-ferrell
He finally got that Nets stink off himself.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://twitter.com/kslife7/status/851468317227454464

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone excited that we have multiple legit playoff game implications on the 2nd to last game of the regular season

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

What's funny about Gordon is he is having nearly identical production as he did his last season in NOLA.

Except for the whole games played thing, which is really rather important, imo.

He's been slumping like crazy for about a month, his numbers were a lot better before, too bad because I like Snowboardin' Eric Gordon

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Cleveland Cavaliers are playing Kobe Wade and his team tonight

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
He is taking a rather insane amount of threes. Top 3pa/g seasons are Curry, Curry, Harden, Gordon, with a pre-chubby Baron Davis in fifth. Neither he nor Anderson are having remarkable individual seasons but the Rockets spacing goes to poo poo without either one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Tae posted:

Anyone excited that we have multiple legit playoff game implications on the 2nd to last game of the regular season

There would be even more if Westbrook hadn't temple of doom-ed Denver's heart last night.

• Locked thread