Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr Beens posted:

I don't really think it's all that weird. If a book has " part 3 of 5 " on the cover and it looks interesting most people will find book 1 and go from there. People who dive into an existing series (sometimes even half way through a season) watch that then go back to the start are the strange ones, especially when old stuff is so easy to get hold of these days.

Well, my weirdness really shows itself when like Book 2 of 5 features a character from another series of books so now I have to go read THAT series of books to understand that character's full story.

That sort of mindset makes comic book reading impossible and very expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
If this is for real...Holy poo poo I called it!

Longbaugh01 posted:

All the Manu bitching was actually setup for his return.

These posts are also funny in retrospect:

Aphrodite posted:

Manu seems to think that Amell was hinting at a return for him or something.

It was obvious to me Amell was just showing they were getting ready to film that final flashback, but to be fair I've seen the show and Manu hasn't.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Maybe Manu is just trying to beef with Amell to get into the WWE.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The final episode of the season is called Lian Yu. Katrina Law and Nick Tarabay have also been confirmed for episode.

My guess is that all the talk about the city not being in danger in the finale is because they're not going to be in the city.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
We have to go back to the island? This didn't turn out well last time...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well he HAS to go back to the island in his flashbacks to be there for the first episode. So it would make sense to mirror that with him returning there in the present.

But also it would make a lot of sense for maybe Prometheus/Talia to set Slade free (and maybe Boomerang) and for Oliver to get Nyssa involved. Or I guess Oliver could go nutso and recruit Slade himself and Nyssa could just show up or something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

Well he HAS to go back to the island in his flashbacks to be there for the first episode. So it would make sense to mirror that with him returning there in the present.

But also it would make a lot of sense for maybe Prometheus/Talia to set Slade free (and maybe Boomerang) and for Oliver to get Nyssa involved. Or I guess Oliver could go nutso and recruit Slade himself and Nyssa could just show up or something.

I think Oliver will be recruiting Slade as that tweet and the episode synopsis about unlikely allies makes it sound more likely to be the case.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oliver fighting Adrian Chase at Lian Yu sounds pretty loving rad.

Also I am 100% with STAC Goat on continuity and preferring to slog through entire bad seasons if it pays off.

Hell I think half the season I'm trying to force myself through season 2 of The Flash is because I want to see how Speed Force Bullshit impacted Thawne's return on Legends of Tomorrow's second season.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I was already really high on this show but I didn't expect it to get even (maybe) better!

And I still can't believe the "feud" was all setup. I wonder how far back...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/manubennett/status/851554622724423680

https://twitter.com/manubennett/status/851558978832089088

:shrug:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
At this point I'm pretty sure Manu just likes loving with people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness, Amell seems to kind of enjoy it too.

Is Bennet doing anything since that terrible MTV show?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Holy hell this means we're getting a mini-Spartacus reunion with Ashur and Crixus!

STAC Goat posted:

Is Bennet doing anything since that terrible MTV show?

Looking at IMDB, no not really :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Longbaugh01 posted:

No, he's telling the truth. He's not coming for Arrow, he's coming for Prometheus.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Holy hell this means we're getting a mini-Spartacus reunion with Ashur and Crixus!

Looking at IMDB, no not really :(

he's in Death Race 2050 which was pretty dope

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe Amell forgot a comma and Slade is back but not Manu.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He should join the Expanse, that would be good.

And I am clearly in the minority here but I've hated the last few episodes, not because of Chase, those parts are great, but I loving hate every single moment dealing with the Bratva. Every scene is just painful and i'm skipping my PVR through each scene because its all so pointless. Yes I know its setting up the finale, because all the flashbacks do, but that doesn't matter to me, because they always have Oliver explain it to the rest of his crew so the flashbacks were pointless.

I feel like Brelanti or one of the other writers read a magazine article about the Bratva and was "wow these guys are so cool, criminals with a complex system of honour and loyalty, lets have them be a major part of the series". This used to happen with the Mafia, they were romanticized so much people came to believe that they were some how more than just thugs and murderers.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Is there any Green Arrow comic book precedence for all the Bratva stuff?

twistedmentat posted:

Because Nick Tarabay is on The Expanse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think maybe you shouldn't skip the parts that address the thing you're criticizing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been sort of zoning out during the flashback scenes for a few seasons now and I found most of the early Russia stuff to be really bad.

But the last few weeks I've actually enjoyed it since its been pretty well synchronized with the story in the present and adding a lot depth to the Anatoli stuff and Prometheus pushing Oliver to the edge.

The Flashbacks being used to supplement the present is generally really hit and miss but I think its been hitting well lately. And if you're skipping them you're missing that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

And I am clearly in the minority here but I've hated the last few episodes, not because of Chase, those parts are great, but I loving hate every single moment dealing with the Bratva. Every scene is just painful and i'm skipping my PVR through each scene because its all so pointless. Yes I know its setting up the finale, because all the flashbacks do, but that doesn't matter to me, because they always have Oliver explain it to the rest of his crew so the flashbacks were pointless.

I feel like Brelanti or one of the other writers read a magazine article about the Bratva and was "wow these guys are so cool, criminals with a complex system of honour and loyalty, lets have them be a major part of the series". This used to happen with the Mafia, they were romanticized so much people came to believe that they were some how more than just thugs and murderers.

You're definitely clearly in the minority as I think most have agreed that this season has some of the best flashbacks of the series, maybe behind only the Slade stuff in season two.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Longbaugh01 posted:

Because Nick Tarabay is on The Expanse?

Yep.

Aphrodite posted:

I think maybe you shouldn't skip the parts that address the thing you're criticizing.

I've stuck with them all season, it's only just recently I've just given up on them. Sunk Cost was mentioned earlier, and I'm starting to feel like that with Arrow and to a lesser extent Flash. Took me a while to realize I was doing that with Walking Dead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, totally don't watch if you don't like it. Sunk Cost isn't worth it.

But I think the general consensus is that the flashbacks have been at their best since the old S1-2 ones recently.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Anatoli is entertaining enough to make the flashbacks...entertaining. And seeing Lolph Rundgren was a treat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally the whole point is that the Bratva are just garbage though. Oliver knows one good guy, and he ends up being garbage too..

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

After he literally begs Oliver to stay in Russia to help him try and make the Bratva not garbage and keep him from becoming garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

No.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

Jessica Jones, Daredevil season 1, and Iron Fist are consistent. That's not to say they're the same quality but if you start and like one of those it's not going to fall off a cliff, like the other 2 do.
Disagree. I liked the start of both JJ and DD but felt like they started meandering, lost focus and became kind of boring as they progressed, to the point that I just didn't give a poo poo at all by the end of the season (and DD S2 was mostly poo poo). Luke Cage loses it a bit in the middle but picks up again towards the end. I've only seen four episodes of Iron Fist but I'm enjoying it so far.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Marc Guggenheim confirmed Manu returning as Deathstroke and tweeted a pic of the cover page of the finale script and the title is Lian Yu.

Tiggum posted:

Disagree. I liked the start of both JJ and DD but felt like they started meandering, lost focus and became kind of boring as they progressed, to the point that I just didn't give a poo poo at all by the end of the season (and DD S2 was mostly poo poo). Luke Cage loses it a bit in the middle but picks up again towards the end. I've only seen four episodes of Iron Fist but I'm enjoying it so far.

Yes, you have minority opinions. We get it.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Three words: Legends Season Two

It's one of the few things I hear consistently praised. Is it worth the effort of watching Season 1, though? Would I be missing anything continuing to avoid Flash?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cran posted:

Is it worth the effort of watching Season 1, though? Would I be missing anything continuing to avoid Flash?

You don't really need to watch either of those to enjoy it probably.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Legends Season 2 is fun. Zombie confederates, hell yes

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yep

https://twitter.com/manubennett/status/851921911189618688

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm impressed with his stamina at any rate. The whole thing is hilarious and I really do want to know how far back "the beef" was a sham.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
We got us some new regulars!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/13/arrow-rick-gonzalez-juliana-harkavy-season-6-promoted/

:woop::woop::woop:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fantastic news.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm impressed with his stamina at any rate. The whole thing is hilarious and I really do want to know how far back "the beef" was a sham.

Between this and Amell's in-ring performance this has been a better worked wrestling feud than anything the WWE has put out in years

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oh thank God. If they nuked Dinah before they even gave her a chance to develop I was going to be so cross at them. :mad:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I would guess that a decent chunk of season 6 will be Canary vs. Siren.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seeing a distinct lack of Ragman returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh cool, I missed that Nyssa's coming back.

• Locked thread