Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

So is it smart then to shoot someone's legs/feet or do those body parts take reduced damage?

They take reduced damage, you only want to target them over head or center mass when they're already hurt and have a foot sticking out behind a rock or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
Shotguns seem overpowered. I one-shot and getting one-shotted with the S1897 in the chest with Level 3 Armor and Helmet without a headshot. How many pellets does one shot contain?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If you're close enough to get hit by all the pellets you should go down.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Real-world 00 buck is 8 or 9 pellets, each with roughly the energy of a 9mm handgun bullet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Paradigmata posted:

Shotguns seem overpowered. I one-shot and getting one-shotted with the S1897 in the chest with Level 3 Armor and Helmet without a headshot. How many pellets does one shot contain?

Its because some of the pellets hit your head. I don't think it will always credit it as a headshot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Okay so just so I have the sound dynamics right in my head:

If I hear a distant clap, and I hear it in both ears, does that mean the shot is travelling parallel to my current direction and the shot originated perpendicular to me? So I should be turning 90 degrees in either direction to pinpoint where it came from?

I have a bum left ear that makes positional audio harder than it should be, and whenever I hear a shot I always want to face where it centers up in both my ears, it feels disorienting otherwise.

Humans are generally pretty bad at audio localization, needing to rely upon a second report and head re-orientation is pretty much the way we roll (as an anecdote, really most mammals re-orient the soundstage to locate the sound source, but most species can control their ears independently from their heads so it happens faster), your brain should already be compensating for your poor hearing in your left ear.

If there are localization issues in the game engine itself (as I understood there are) that certainly wouldn't help but there isn't much you can do about it, sounds like your method of picking about the direction of the sound source is pretty much the way everyone does it.

Generally a single shot is always hard to pick out, that's why it's always best to kill with your first shot and relocate if you're trying to be a stealthy sniper fella.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 11, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

To follow up on what the guy above me just said, if I you hear a car but can't tell which direction it is, just turn one direction about 90 degrees and it should be obvious at this point, then let your teammates know.

As far as being shot at goes, I can almost never hear the snap/whizz so I have to rely on the report alone. Not sure why that is, sometimes I can't tell if I'm being shot at until I see the dirt kick up next to me.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Hey guys pro tip here, if you have terrible aim like me just use shotties and frags.

re audio localisation, I have a cochlear implant in one ear and a hearing aid in the other. I just rely on seeing people cause I can't tell poo poo.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 11, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Xachariah posted:

Hey guys pro tip here, if you have terrible aim like me just use shotties and frags.

re audio localisation, I have a cochlear implant in one ear and a hearing aid in the other. I just rely on seeing people cause I can't tell poo poo.

That's really low reward for first place. Anyone know why the value jumps around so much?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Sometimes its the little things that annoy the hell out of me but I know it's hopefully going to get fixed. I heard fast moving footsteps outside the building I was in so I knew there was a guy out there. In the split second that I looked out the window he managed to sprint up the stairs, open the door and shoot me in the back without me hearing a single loving thing. I guess having your back to a door means it makes no noise? :psyduck:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Sometimes its the little things that annoy the hell out of me but I know it's hopefully going to get fixed. I heard fast moving footsteps outside the building I was in so I knew there was a guy out there. In the split second that I looked out the window he managed to sprint up the stairs, open the door and shoot me in the back without me hearing a single loving thing. I guess having your back to a door means it makes no noise? :psyduck:

There was a fix for footsteps audio in the last patch, but the patch was rolled back. I believe doors were part of that, too.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Raged posted:

That's really low reward for first place. Anyone know why the value jumps around so much?

I think I remember a streamer (summit or viss?) saying that the reward is based on the rank of the other players you killed/wounded.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Someone posted a guide to tweaking your ini's for more FPS. Someone give it a shot and report back.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889934285

I have an i7-875k and a 970 with 16gb of ram. These tweaks gave me a pretty significant boost (10-15 frames). I was already using the fov and "allavailablecores" mods. The ini tweaks made a big difference and it doesn't look too horrible.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks. Does right click in the tab inventory not work reliably, drag is better?

Also is melee at all viable? I've charged dudes with pistols and its never worked, even getting the drop on them.

Don't melee during the early game unless you like garbage BS stuff like this to happen.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/131657391

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I had the exact same thoughts as DrDisrespectLive. This game could theoretically be good but rewards the biggest pussies and hiders in the match. You can win a match with 0 kills, that's not great design. The only way to play this game is man-mode. If you get less than 5 kills in a round, you lose.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I had the exact same thoughts as DrDisrespectLive. This game could theoretically be good but rewards the biggest pussies and hiders in the match. You can win a match with 0 kills, that's not great design. The only way to play this game is man-mode. If you get less than 5 kills in a round, you lose.

Looks like someone is salty they can't run and gun to success

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Maybe go play COD? When I spoke to PU he said he loves that you can hide and "let the idiots kill eachother," so I doubt you'll see any change to that. I mean, you still get plenty of points for kills, so it's not that it doesn't reward you. In fact, I bet if you got 4th place with 4 kills, it would be worth more points than 1st with 0 kills.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I'd also argue that winning with 0 kills is as hard as getting 5 kills or more in a match

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

VikingSkull posted:

Looks like someone is salty they can't run and gun to success

There are many times where Sacriel, Summit, and others win with 0, 1, 2 or 3 kills only. Many with 0, 1 and 2

Winning strats include "flying really far away so you land alone" and "taking a car to a far away city to loot" and "being on the non-populated side of the circle so you don't have to fight"

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 11, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcVrsv748F8

Watching my friends die violently has never been so funny

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902871688
i'm better than 94 people

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

There are many times where Sacriel, Summit, and others win with 0, 1, 2 or 3 kills only. Many with 0, 1 and 2

Winning strats include "flying really far away so you land alone" and "taking a car to a far away city to loot" and "being on the non-populated side of the circle so you don't have to fight"

So what's your point? No one is stopping you from landing in the military base with all the other lunatics and having the deathmatch of your dreams.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you are going for maximum ranking like those streamers you mentioned, you can't use any risky strategies, especially strategies that are risky at the beginning of the game. An early death costs a lot of points on the scoreboard. Watch ninja if you want to see someone that gets a lot of kills.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

You can win a match with 0 kills, that's not great design.

It's actually loving awesome? Part of the reason I like these types of games. Very unique experience, and tense.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just I stalled this game, I'm having troubles crashing as soon as I get into the pergatory/jump around waiting for game to start area. I've searched Reddit and steam forums and can't find any solution.

Specs are windows 10
GTX 1070 oc'd to 2.1ghz
16gb DDR 3000
I5 7600k oc'd to 4.8ghz

I got it to work without crashing once after a reboot, but that only worked once

Every time it crashes it sends an error report

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

Just I stalled this game, I'm having troubles crashing as soon as I get into the pergatory/jump around waiting for game to start area. I've searched Reddit and steam forums and can't find any solution.

Specs are windows 10
GTX 1070 oc'd to 2.1ghz
16gb DDR 3000
I5 7600k oc'd to 4.8ghz

I got it to work without crashing once after a reboot, but that only worked once

Every time it crashes it sends an error report

Maybe bump up your fan speed or lower your OC?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This game's worst sin is third person. Everything else is neat though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VulgarandStupid posted:

Maybe bump up your fan speed or lower your OC?

I mean it could be caused by that I'll return it to stock after work and see, but I've stress tested the gently caress out of this new combo and it doesn't even hit 70 degrees

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Knifegrab posted:

PU has said in an interview that come release there will be a hardcore mode w/ firstperson only / no crosshairs. Really looking forward to that.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Knifegrab posted:

Eh, it's not so bad once you learn to recognize areas where corner peeking is possible. It actually works as a counter in some cases to the natural advantage of high ground. First person only will be cool as gently caress, though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The lag is real. We need ping limits.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134859354

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The servers felt much worse today than usual. Had a lot of really awful encounters just like that one until I got fed up and left.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
The new patch is for sound only, but makes a big difference. Now you can actually hear people stomping around in a house.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You can win a match with 0 kills, that's not great design.

And that's pretty goddamn amazing.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
https://twitter.com/PC_Gamer/status/851450382245130240

drat, good for them. Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with the buzz but it seems like this game just sorta came screaming out of nowhere.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Elentor posted:

And that's pretty goddamn amazing.

It is, it's part of why the game is so good. You can run and gun, you can mil-sim tactisperg, you can hide in your underwear in a bush. All pretty valid strats at getting to/near the top.

Speaking of the patch; are there patch-notes anywhere? I couldn't find any.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 11, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Jesus they were not joking about the sound changes. Finally hearing the bullet cracks and they cranked up the volume on footsteps. Even crouching and going slow makes a lot of noise.

Does anyone know if the sound of switching weapons/reloading or changing firing rate can be heard by others?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

https://twitter.com/PC_Gamer/status/851450382245130240

drat, good for them. Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with the buzz but it seems like this game just sorta came screaming out of nowhere.

It totally did. I watch a bit of Twitch here and there and I had never heard of this game. In one weekend it blew the gently caress up there, and now it's selling like gangbusters.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm not one to claim hacks. However I just bailed out the plane and nosedived straight down and the instant I landed was gunned down point blank by a guy in lvl 3 gear and a m249.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

It totally did. I watch a bit of Twitch here and there and I had never heard of this game. In one weekend it blew the gently caress up there, and now it's selling like gangbusters.

#3 simultaneous players on steam for a few days now

• Locked thread