Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That's the problem with every cov in every game. They don't really think out the situation in which the players get to use it. Blue Cops have to be around the level of someone who is invaded (rare) AND has the blue badge on (even rarer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So there's a new game by the Lords of the Fallen guys coming out next month, and it's Sci-fi themed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDYMytZAqyo

Hopefully they learned from their mistakes and it's better than LotF was.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Midir is way too hard to gate the spears behind
I still dont know how i randomly got summoned as a spear without being in the covenant on the first night of the dlc just by sitting on the inner wall bonfire, but by the time i solo-beat midir there'll probably be noone left to spear against.

Iretep posted:

Getting invaded in ds2 was like winning the lottery even back at the best of times.
Man i remember how loving scared people were about possibly getting invaded while hollowed, when in fact it just meant an incredibly limited number of invaders using a very limited number of one-use items suddenly had an infinitely larger pool of targets to hit (instead of a much much smaller number of un-holloweds). I think i saw a single invader - besides obvious pvp hotspots - on my entire first playthrough at launch.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

So there's a new game by the Lords of the Fallen guys coming out next month, and it's Sci-fi themed.

Any word on multiplayer? I thought that was the biggest thing missing from lotf

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really fun waiting an hour to get summoned for the Spears and then getting stomped by another gank squad :geno:

Are you sure you don't just need to git gud?

I've only done the spears a handful of times thanks to the slow summoning times, but each time it's been a gank squad of some size and each time it's been pretty easy. Use the spear item to damage/stunlock a phantom, or to create a safe zone where they can't approach. Play keepaway until a guardian gets summons and then stay near/protect them until their AI decides they're ready to heal. Tank if you feel you have the opportunity to kill at least one of them, with the spear buff you have enough poise and damage reduction to tank through a surprising amount of poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

Are you sure you don't just need to git gud?

Seriously?

quote:

I've only done the spears a handful of times thanks to the slow summoning times, but each time it's been a gank squad of some size and each time it's been pretty easy. Use the spear item to damage/stunlock a phantom, or to create a safe zone where they can't approach. Play keepaway until a guardian gets summons and then stay near/protect them until their AI decides they're ready to heal. Tank if you feel you have the opportunity to kill at least one of them, with the spear buff you have enough poise and damage reduction to tank through a surprising amount of poo poo.

The fact that you think this is a good strategy makes it clear that you don't know what you're talking about. The guardian gets summoned after you go below a damage threshold so playing keep away doesn't do anything but mean you're wasting time and accumulating chip damage. In phase 2 you don't want the guardian to heal because its unreliable as hell, you want them to actually help you combo someone down. Cause the hard part of the fight is getting one phantom out due to how easy it is for someone to roll away at low HP and wait for their buddies to make an opening for them to heal. The fight is a lot harder when the guardian's AI decides to be useless and just throw daggers or buff himself while you're trying to deal with 3/4 people shoving greatswords into your back.

Also if you haven't played since the nerf they slashed your damage absorption versus gank squads down by a ton. Tanking anything is usually a bad idea now and the poise isn't enough to resist the paired greatswords everyone is lunging around with now. Back before the nerf you didn't actually need your useless painting guardian to win since you could just tank everything and combo the phantoms dumb enough to not play around your increased defenses.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 10, 2017

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Thou shan't awaken m'lady.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Genocyber posted:

drat there's a lot of good poo poo in there! Wonder if this patch is coming so quickly because of the boss invasion glitch popping up again. Hope that stays around in some form after they stop patching the game, that's such a fun glitch.

Probably that in combination with embarrassment about somehow managing to do the exact opposite of what they intended to do with elemental infusions. Somehow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the current consensus on the best weapons for a quality build? Been using my same long sword and occasionally the irythll sword which are both good. It I need a change of pace. Even if it's just a different looking straight sword.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

I really hope this is good but holy poo poo the framerates in that video make me wary as hell.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

What's the current consensus on the best weapons for a quality build? Been using my same long sword and occasionally the irythll sword which are both good. It I need a change of pace. Even if it's just a different looking straight sword.

If you're talking 40/40 I carry vordts hammer and the frayed blade. Two different types of fun.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Gael's Greatsword is a quality quality weapon. Might see a lot of them right now though if you're allergic to that sort of thing.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

the greatswords are in a good place right now. I've tried the exile gs, lotheric, cathederal. Lotheric is great, good range great damage (provided no lightening resists)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Don't know if it's "the best" but I used The Greatsword (the UGS, aka Guts Sword) and I found the DLC pretty easy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool. A greatsword sounds like a good call. Does the Zwei suck in DS3 or am I remembering wrong?

Also, any thoughts on that wolverine claw/rapier combo you get from the bird men? It looks pretty badass but seems like something I would upgrade and find out it sucks after it's too late.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My experience is that the more exotic a weapon is, the less likely it is to be reliably useful.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. A greatsword sounds like a good call. Does the Zwei suck in DS3 or am I remembering wrong?

Also, any thoughts on that wolverine claw/rapier combo you get from the bird men? It looks pretty badass but seems like something I would upgrade and find out it sucks after it's too late.

The "Greatsword" is an UGS. Zweihander is always awesome. If you want a proper greatsword the Executioner's Greatsword from the Cathedral of the Deep's graveyard is awesome.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That greatsword is a strength weapon, but does work refined. Claymore would be better served.
Basically any weapon that is good is good quality.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SHISHKABOB posted:

My experience is that the more exotic a weapon is, the less likely it is to be reliably useful.
:same:

The game even jokes about this at times in descriptions for the more commonplace weapons like the Longsword or Broadsword or Spear or whatever, mentioning how common and readily-used the weapon is and how this is actually a good thing because it means the weapon does its drat job.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Have had to deal with the same obscuring ring mound-maker in Midir twice in 10 minutes while assisting. Second time I had completely tied him up until the host died with 10% left on Midir. :sigh:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

How does projected heal compare to the others?

e: first impressions; Mad King, Dragon Head Shield, and projected heal is a rude combo

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 11, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

This was a major disappointment to me. From did nothing fun with invaders in all of DS3, aside from Tsorig emoting after he flattens you.

Y'know what's great about Tsorig's emote? He's programmed to do it when he kills you, but if you have Second Chance, you'll end up not dying, but he'll still emote, leaving him open to a retaliation.

It feels fitting, like punishing a real player for getting cocky about bowing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

e: first impressions; Mad King, Dragon Head Shield, and projected heal is a rude combo

Ive heard people complain projected heal is broken since it comes out so fast. Like not even healing others, its a good self heal.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's like a better heal aid, which was good for sneaking in heals to piss people off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone subtly nudge me in the right direction here. Playing AOA and I don't know where to go. Killed the big wolf and it seems to be a dead end. Everything else just seems to be a big loop de loop with that whole bug pit section just being a shortcut to...that chapel with a bonfire in it that I've already been in. Not sure if I'm missing a path. I'm assuming the next step involves the woman in the chapel in some way because she is surrounded with messages, but I'm hesitant to just whack her with my sword.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
After reviving Spears of the Church for like the 50th time I finally got another hard fight. Surprisingly from a guy with a bandit's dagger of all things. He added me on Steam afterwards and had this to say;

quote:

Fun fight, but don't bow next time flame spamming fgt.

Of course :darksouls:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Its terrible from an FP-to-HP standpoint but its the fastest self-heal in the game when you aim it at the ground. In a place like the arena where you have tons of ashen estus but no regular its kind of busted in that regard, as its hard to punish and the high FP cost isn't much of an issue. But for like invasions and such its probably not a great choice.

For its actual intended purpose of healing distant allies? Awful because Souls players are idiots and will probably roll away from your heal.

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone subtly nudge me in the right direction here. Playing AOA and I don't know where to go. Killed the big wolf and it seems to be a dead end. Everything else just seems to be a big loop de loop with that whole bug pit section just being a shortcut to...that chapel with a bonfire in it that I've already been in. Not sure if I'm missing a path. I'm assuming the next step involves the woman in the chapel in some way because she is surrounded with messages, but I'm hesitant to just whack her with my sword.

Go explore the bug pit more thoroughly. There's a mechanism inside it that you need to turn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poo poo. I hate that bug pit.

Thanks.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Did you yank the lever in the bug pit? I missed it and wandered around for an hour

edit:beaten

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Y'know what's great about Tsorig's emote? He's programmed to do it when he kills you, but if you have Second Chance, you'll end up not dying, but he'll still emote, leaving him open to a retaliation.

It feels fitting, like punishing a real player for getting cocky about bowing.

Also fun. If you get invaded by him then run across the bridge and break it, he'll eventually just walk off the edge. The emote will show up as his thanks for giving him a quick death I guess :D

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real talk should I just stab this lady before this boss fight?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I love both of them, but this is on my pure dex build. Neither of them are better than my Sellsword Twinblades, but they're both fun and moderately useful. The rapier I find more fun between the two, but the claws are probably better overall. The rapier's L1 combo is a little janky; the second hit is a flurry of stabs, but if you miss then you're left super open. The weapon art on the claws is fun, but isn't super practical since it can leave you open for an eternity. The dagger throw on the rapier doesn't do a lot of damage (unless you're right in their face), but the chip damage usually catches people off guard, and the R2 follow-up is strong and usually people don't see that coming either. Obviously these surprise elements aren't a huge deal in PvE, but since you can jump in any direction when throwing the daggers, and the lunge forward covers a lot of distance, you can be surprisingly mobile with the rapier - dodging an attack by throwing daggers, then counter attacking with the follow-up R2.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

doesent matter, do whatever you think is funnier.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Is it running at 20 fps?

Also it looks like another game where you play as Gruff McGrufferson, which is lame :(

Genocyber posted:

I think Juutas1988's is pretty good.

Japanese version, huh? Guess it won't be a lore heavy "read all item descriptions" run :v:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Don't do it, trust me, the knife made it a felony

Edit: oops, thought this was the workplace bitching thread

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Like others have said, there are a lot of possibilities for a quality build... but if you really want to embrace the quality and haven't already done a run with it I recommend the Claymore 100%. It's the quality weapon and is a joy to use, even if it's a bit milquetoast :3:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What's going on with Anri's quest line? There's a prism stone outside AL but no summon sign next to it. I'm embered, Anri's corpse isn't on the darkmoon altar, I killed the pilgrim assassin, I exhausted Anri's dialogue, and Anri is gone from Yorshka's.

I never ran into Horace in the Catacombs so I had no option to answer anything other than No during those conversations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sapozhnik posted:

What's going on with Anri's quest line? There's a prism stone outside AL but no summon sign next to it. I'm embered, Anri's corpse isn't on the darkmoon altar, I killed the pilgrim assassin, I exhausted Anri's dialogue, and Anri is gone from Yorshka's.

I never ran into Horace in the Catacombs so I had no option to answer anything other than No during those conversations.

Go kill Horace and check the sign location again

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
loving beat Midir on my 4th solo attempt, NG. Out of estus, made a hail mary third swing out of greed as he was activating his dark missile attack. It landed, I died same time as him. :)

I love Full Havel's.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

I did not realize this game was made by the Lords of the Fallen devs. All of my interest in it has immediately evaporated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh god friede is kicking my rear end. I can't even keep track of her in the 3rd phase she's like faster than an Bloodborne boss and I'm twice as slow.