Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

babypolis posted:

historical games already have the historical narrative to provide context and contrast. if you are playing as some american tribe, modernizing and fighting off the european colonizers, well that story pretty much writes itself

space 4x games dont have that context and as such are all about the exploration and discovery but that aspect wasnt very fun in Stellaris, at least at release

I liked what Endless Legend did with having very distinct factions with their own storylines, plus an overall strong setting and theme. It sounds like they're trying to do the same with Endless Space 2 but that game is still sounding pretty rough at this point.

Revisting Stellaris again with the 1.5 patch (no DLC though) it definitely feels a lot better than it did on launch, but it suffers from a lot of the same core problems still. I think it's getting there though, streamlining a lot of the tedious stuff and adding more content and continuing to make your races feel more distinct to play will help a lot. Seems some significant combat rework is coming in the next xpac, and I think they mentioned they're working on some of the civilian level modeling stuff like Distant Worlds has as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Yooka-Laylee credits are only a minute and thirty seconds long, so long as you don't count the "Backers" section.

Adding that in you get almost three hour long credits.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
at least this time 3/4 of the credits are not just "MYSTERIOUS BACKER"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the times, they sure have changed...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Does soundwave play only mp3s now

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bulletstorm was loving amazing but selling a completely unnecessary remaster that:

-doesn't improve anything about the known issues with the game (like adding more combos based on tons of available player feedback and speedruns, adding encounters to places/arenas that felt abandoned, adding a co-op campaign and ng+)
-doesn't finish the cliffhanger campaign
-removes the original version of the game from stores
-is being sold at a full-game price even to previous bulletstorm owners
-doesn't even include that dumb duke nukem bonus protagonist because it's being sold for additional money as DLC

is some peak Gearbox bullshit. Instead of using this as a chance to rejuvenate the game for a potential sequel by improving it they're basically burying it and will be dumbfounded how come it didn't sell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The things recent renditions of Soundwave eject include thumb drives, minidisc-like things, weapons, and storage containers. And the occasional cassette tape still, or at least cassette-shaped mode for the minibots that tag along with him

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mordja posted:

It's weird, I've never played a David Jaffe game in my life (well, maybe some of the old Twisted Metals at a friend's house) but I kind of like him solely based on that one time he was on Giantbomb's E3 podcast. I can't remember what game he was talking about seeing on the show floor, but he really drilled down into its gameplay mechanics and underlying systems in a way that I admired.

yeah, same. I don't like any of his work, but he also used to have interesting things to say about gamedev and industry stuff. didn't always agree, but liked seeing what he had to say. shame that he decided to completely disengage from media when crude humor became a thing to write "i am offended" articles about.

a good example of art vs artist separation, but in the opposite direction from the way it normally flows

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Palpek posted:

Instead of using this as a chance to rejuvenate the game for a potential sequel by improving it they're basically burying it and will be dumbfounded how come it didn't sell.
Dumbfounded right up until they go bankrupt probably, since they dumped a shitload into whatever their moba was, battleborn? And it loving tanked harder than almost anything I can think of in video games ever. And they refused to make it free to play lol

That company is a cavalcade of terrible business decisions

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gearbox is a giant mass of terrible business decisions and sometimes being outright shady and scummy

built on the foundation of a couple decent half-life expansions

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElmjlzdSSM

Still so good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it wasn't really THAT long ago that Borderlands 2 was a legit GOTY contender despite its moronic writing, but hoo boy it has been a long long way down from Colonial Marines to Battleborn to Bulletstorm "redux"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MinibarMatchman posted:

it wasn't really THAT long ago that Borderlands 2 was a legit GOTY contender despite its moronic writing, but hoo boy it has been a long long way down from Colonial Marines to Battleborn to Bulletstorm "redux"

Don't forget duke nuke forever!!!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was going to make a game dev tier list but all that matters is nintendo is at the top and gearbox is somewhere at the bottom

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They're an odd mess for sure. Borderlands 1/2 was hugely popular and they made a ton of money off of it but it seems like they've struggled to do much to convert that into continued success.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nintendo sucks because they protect their intellectual properties in some of the dumbest ways

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There are only a few developers I outright hate and the only one of those I can think of off the top of my head is Stardock. gently caress them forever and ever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

an actual dog posted:

Sometime around 2010 it was decided that every game needed to be a gazillion hour open world game or an esport and Bulletstorm came out on the wrong side of that.

2010 was before the everything-is-esport but it was definitely peak Modern Serious Military Shooter era and bulletstorm wasn't strong enough to push that juggernaut away. I'm not sure how well even new Doom would have done in that period, and that is way better than bulletstorm.

ImpAtom posted:

The marketing was lovely
their main marketing gimmick was a satire of CoD that I still find pretty funny.

but I don't think it did much for anyone but people like me who were either really tired of CoD or never liked it in the first place. marketing your game to the 10% of people who don't like the thing that 90% of the audience loves isn't a great strategy in retrospect.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Under no circumstances would I ever consider borderlands one or two to be anywhere near goty. Borderlands is loving boring.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I love the drat Product.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Invictus posted:

the times, they sure have changed...

Oh my god I need the whole set. I've yet to find a decent looking Megatron that doesn't cost over a hundred dollars - but that MP looks so good I might need him anyways. Wow. Toy tech sure has improved over the years!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
claptrap is an abortion of comedy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bloodychill posted:

There are only a few developers I outright hate and the only one of those I can think of off the top of my head is Stardock. gently caress them forever and ever.

i'm not really fond of double fine

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Under no circumstances would I ever consider borderlands one or two to be anywhere near goty. Borderlands is loving boring.

personally mine was Dishonored and/or XCOM for 2012. BL2 was probably the high point for the series and the developer though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
double fine blew a lot of good will way back after df-9 and i'm not a fan of a lot of games they've released in the last few years but they're still a better company than gearbox or stardock

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

broken age sucks, brutal legend sucks, and spacebase df is literally a scam, a way of stealing money

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MinibarMatchman posted:

personally mine was Dishonored and/or XCOM for 2012. BL2 was probably the high point for the series and the developer though

2012 was The Walking Dead season one right? That wins my GOTY for all the folks keeping score at home.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Palpek posted:

-doesn't even include that dumb duke nukem bonus protagonist because it's being sold for additional money as DLC

Lol wth

I forgot to post it, but Anthony Burch was one of the first people complaining about Persona 5's translation and was implying that the game was almost unplayable because he had to reread every line to make sense of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bulletsorm js better than Doom 2016 and I would have bought the Duke nukem version if it was 20 bucks probably.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In celebration of myself giving up on Skyrim, I bought Resident Evil Revelations 2. Hopefully it'll be even better than the first one, since it's not a port of a 3DS game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

Lol wth

I forgot to post it, but Anthony Burch was one of the first people complaining about Persona 5's translation and was implying that the game was almost unplayable because he had to reread every line to make sense of it

Anthony Burch's life is a way bigger tragedy than the imaginary tragedy of an Atlus game translation

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People really love tim schafer for some reason

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Help Im Alive posted:

People really love tim schafer for some reason

I'm really glad Kickstarter taught gamers that video game auteurs actually do need producers to keep them to a budget and schedule.

Not counting Hideo Kojima, ofc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm really glad Kickstarter taught gamers that video game auteurs actually do need producers to keep them to a budget and schedule.

Not counting Hideo Kojima, ofc

yeah i really liked watching the actual climax of mgsv's plot on youtube

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

oddium posted:

i'm not really fond of double fine
gonna see what happens with psychonauts 2 before I close the book on double fine. that's always been their in case of emergency break glass option, so I'm sure they're extra motivated.

didn't back it though, I don't really have confidence

corn in the bible posted:

claptrap is an abortion of comedy

tap my mountain posted:

I forgot to post it, but Anthony Burch

I was gonna link the Ryan Davis borderlands "written by reddit" burn

but twitter deleted his account for inactivity

motherfucker :(

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The guy with the tiny head on a gigantic body.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Klyith posted:

gonna see what happens with psychonauts 2 before I close the book on double fine. that's always been their in case of emergency break glass option, so I'm sure they're extra motivated.

that already happened, it was a playstation vr EXPERIENCE and was awful

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

Bulletsorm js better than Doom 2016 and I would have bought the Duke nukem version if it was 20 bucks probably.
Yeah, same. Bulletstorm was really innovative while not taking itself seriously, was a ton of fun and had great weaponry. If the remaster refurbished the campaign level design, doubled the ammount of skill kills and let you play through it with a friend I would buy it day one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you should play titanfall 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
According to Steamspy/Charts, Battleborn sold about 300k copies on PC, which is decent for a mid-tier release, not the apparently massively expensive game that BB was, but it's 24 hour peak was 171 people.

It's been less than a year since release. :lol:

• Locked thread