Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the tips guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So uh, found an interesting almost bug. The repeatable techs probably shouldn't be considered for the domination tree finisher effect (+30% research if your vassal has a tech you're researching).

edit: not completely sure if this guy has just researched several levels yet, guess it could be possible.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 10, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ulmont posted:

quote:

Psionics
First, before we start digging into the way psionics will work Utopia, we should clarify that we are not removing any features from the free version of the game. If you have the Banks update but do not own Utopia, psionics will continue to work the same way they currently do: As technologies that you unlock. The only difference is that psionics can now only be researched by Spiritualist empires, though it is entirely possible for an empire that does not start out as Spiritualist to acquire psionics by shifting their empire ethics to Spiritualist over the course of the game, and once you start down the Psionic path it is possible to continue along it even if you stop being Spiritualist. This Spiritualist requirement applies whether or not you own Utopia.

If you *do* own the Utopia expansion, most of the psionic features will no longer appear as technologies. Only Psionic Theory, the very first psionic tech, is still researchable. To get access to the rest of the psionic path you will need to pick the 'Mind over Matter' Ascension Perk to start your empire on the Psionic Ascension Path. Picking this Ascension Perk will unlock latent psionic abilities among your primary species. A certain percentage of your leaders will have the 'Psychic' trait that grants a variety of advantages for the different leader classes, you will get access to Psionic Armies and also the special Psi Corps building. As with all Ascension Paths, you will need to have at least two Ascension Perk slots unlocked to pick 'Mind over Matter'.

For fucks sake, you can't get into any of the Psionic stuff without three Ascension picks? In my first Utopia game I was 4 planets away from domination victory being over before I got my third pick in.

What's the requirement for Psi Jump drives? Bizarrely enough that's the thing I missed most playing as a materialist. If I'm a Spiritualist can I at least salvage Psi Jump Drive tech from a Spiritualist FE?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 10, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I'm really digging my aggressive gene-engineered hivebugs. I'm tearing through enemies and eating them, terraforming every world into a desolate arid hellhole and filling it with intelligent bugs. When the planet's full I modify pops into caste species for their various purposes. I've got soldier/mineral bugs, smart bugs, etc. This is a lot of fun.

I've got a single allied empire who I've already eclipsed in power. A couple more war victories and I'm gonna betray and eat them too.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

PittTheElder posted:

For fucks sake, you can't get into any of the Psionic stuff without three Ascension picks? In my first Utopia game I was 4 planets away from domination victory being over before I got my third pick in.

What's the requirement for Psi Jump drives? Bizarrely enough that's the thing I missed most playing as a materialist. If I'm a Spiritualist can I at least salvage Psi Jump Drive tech from a Spiritualist FE?

No, you just need one, the first stage ascension paths just can't be your first perk, at a minimum they're second. It's just worded oddly

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
For what it's worth, curators do count the same as psychic leader for the purposes of psychic tech appearance.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

In Utopia, Psi Jump Drives are one of several possible outcomes of contacting the Shroud, which requires the second Psionic Ascension Perk, Transcendence. I don't know if they're salvageable - were they before?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

There are a lot of +unity things around that you probably didn't notice/build. Default you have a +2 building (can upgrade it to +6/+10%, empire unique +10/+10%), spiritualists have another building (temple +2 I think), empire unique +10, paradise dome +2, symbol of unity +2, visitor center +2, energy grid +2 with a perk, up to +3 on planetary capitals. It is also effected by stuff like happiness and leaders.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I feel like im missing something with Unity gain. My first game was as Fanatic Purifiers and current game as Spiritualistic Slavers, and in neither game there is no way i'm gonna make any headway down the ascension perks before i'm already unstoppable. I build all the unity buildings like temples, the spire things or whatever and i try to grab the Unity building traditions like Colonization Fever and The Pursuit of Profit, but it's still waaaaay to slow compared to the pace of the game i'm playing. Am i missing some better ways to gain Unity/gameplay mechanics?

Stupid pacifists and their unity farms.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

There are a lot of +unity things around that you probably didn't notice/build. Default you have a +2 building (can upgrade it to +6/+10%, empire unique +10/+10%), spiritualists have another building (temple +2 I think), empire unique +10, paradise dome +2, symbol of unity +2, visitor center +2, energy grid +2 with a perk, up to +3 on planetary capitals. It is also effected by stuff like happiness and leaders.

I was building everything I could (though god only knows what my sectors were doing), and got the perks that give extra Unity from Energy Grids and +1 from Capital buildings. I guess it should be easier with the access to Spiritualist temples, but it's still seems really weird that the game can be over before getting to any of the late game stuff.

Dallan Invictus posted:

In Utopia, Psi Jump Drives are one of several possible outcomes of contacting the Shroud, which requires the second Psionic Ascension Perk, Transcendence. I don't know if they're salvageable - were they before?

They were salvageable in the last patch, yeah. Disappointing that they're so hard to get now, and by the sounds of things may be completely unavailable. I'd ask if that's based on the whim of the RNG except that I'm trying to learn as little as possible about the shroud until I experience it myself.

Dongattack posted:

I feel like im missing something with Unity gain. My first game was as Fanatic Purifiers and current game as Spiritualistic Slavers, and in neither game there is no way i'm gonna make any headway down the ascension perks before i'm already unstoppable. I build all the unity buildings like temples, the spire things or whatever and i try to grab the Unity building traditions like Colonization Fever and The Pursuit of Profit, but it's still waaaaay to slow compared to the pace of the game i'm playing. Am i missing some better ways to gain Unity/gameplay mechanics?
My experience exactly. I'd knocked off all the FEs and won a domination victory shortly after my third Ascension pick opened, and that's even with putting a priority on Unity generation.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 10, 2017

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Dongattack posted:

Stupid pacifists and their unity farms.

Pacifist unity farms own, the year is 2257 (coincidentally Babylon 5 year, heh), and I've already got 3 1/2 Ascension perks.And I already have a dozen planets, so it's not like I'm playing particularly tall.

e: off by a century on my dumb joke, oh well.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Isn't unity required for perks related to how many planets you have? If you are four planets away from domination victory that could be your problem.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Maybe its my population and expansionist playstyle that makes it so slow. I like to make slave sectors instead of vassalising, grabbing worlds with secondary and tertiary planets to colonize and making GBS threads out habitats everywhere. But a pacifist playstyle doesn't make any sense to me in this game when 2/3 victory conditions (3/3 in reality) hinges on largscale warfare.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Much like someone did the math for how much research a planet needs to pump out to break even on the expansion research punishment, whats the math for unity?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Maybe its my population and expansionist playstyle that makes it so slow. I like to make slave sectors instead of vassalising, grabbing worlds with secondary and tertiary planets to colonize and making GBS threads out habitats everywhere. But a pacifist playstyle doesn't make any sense to me in this game when 2/3 victory conditions (3/3 in reality) hinges on largscale warfare.

Most of what I did was just expand into the empty space that the AI declined to occupy.

I get that Unity is probably intended as a way to buff up small-tall empires, but if that's what you're doing I don't know why you'd take all the cool poo poo and lock it behind Ascension Perks.

Baronjutter posted:

Much like someone did the math for how much research a planet needs to pump out to break even on the expansion research punishment, whats the math for unity?

Yeah, would love to see the math on this, though there's no flat answer like there is with research, because Unity costs depend on pop types as well.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't done the math, but it's way worse; base unity cost is 25% per planet, and pop increases based on various types of pops, slaves are more, xenos are more, etc. and you can't just drop a planet full of unity buildings like you can science.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there actually any advantage for staying small and just developing the poo poo out of your 2-3 core starting planets to get tech and unity advances fast? I sort of thought this was the point of habs and mega projects but they're both so late game to be nearly pointless.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

My synth playthrough I was out to 6 systems pretty fast and the first couple unlocks were fast, and even full on synth (at 4 unlocked) was around the time I could actually be ok with a fallen empire attacking me. I didn't have them unlocked by the time I was brawling with the other giant federation guy (but I was somewhat close), and I wasn't using several of the options (no visitors to synth city!).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Unity favouring the less aggressive is good because aggression is very much already its own reward

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Baronjutter posted:

Is there actually any advantage for staying small and just developing the poo poo out of your 2-3 core starting planets to get tech and unity advances fast? I sort of thought this was the point of habs and mega projects but they're both so late game to be nearly pointless.

build an advanced tech fleet, exploit the domination unity tree, make everyone your vassals. no tech/unity cost increase, you get "allies" but you also can incorporate them later, or use them as buffer zones, and they boost your naval cap, like a reverse federation.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Starting tip option: build the +2 unity altar and stick an extra food guy into. You'll build a new pop before running out of food, and if you go prosperity first you can recoup the mineral investment super fast (unlock takes under a year), and can be building a private colony ship by year 3.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

are cheevos fixed yet

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Well fine, i'm restarting as pacifist and making a tall empire for that sweet Unity, BUT IM STILL GOING XENOPHOBE AND KILLING EVERYONE :bahgawd:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I ended up in a tall game for my first real crack at Utopia (Xenophobe Pacifists with Inward Perfection, stayed at 5 planets for most of the game) and it actually is amazing how well the tradition buffs and Ascension perks can snowball. I'd run out of traditions I actually wanted by like 2330, and was hitting endgame tech around that time - basically everybody except the FEs is rated Inferior for tech.

The thing is then what are you going to DO with that hyper-advanced society? I ended up terraforming 15-20 extra planets in my territory to Gaias (thanks, World Shaper perk) and then colonizing them after I filled out my tradition trees, because I wanted more fleet cap, and now I'm trying to figure out whether I want to abandon the game or not. Especially since the tech I'm waiting for from Horizon Signal refuses to spawn (I think the quest chain was actually broken by 1.5). I can't say I've WON exactly because there are plenty of comparable powers but the game's reached a stable state and my galaxy didn't roll too many villains to upset the applecart. Maybe I'll put up a megastructure or two.

The Unbidden spawned in my neighbourhood (literally right on top of the nearby Xenophile FE's Preserve planet, which they promptly ate) and the AI still doesn't know it needs to kill anchors, so after the Unbidden fed their starting fleets to the combination of the FE's homeworld defenses and their/my fleets, I ran around killing anchors while the FE and nearby AI empires distracted reinforcements at the portal long enough for me to let them kill it. Then the FE woke up as Guardians of the Galaxy (a little late, guys?) and, finding nothing to do, promptly joined the gigantic huggy federation that makes up my entire southern border, and now I have to figure out if and how I can grow enough to take them on without genociding my neighbours (because doing that will probably make them wardec me and with an AE in tow that is likely to end badly.)

Maybe I should actually join the federation and see if I can steer it towards a federation win, honestly. It'll piss off one of my factions but only a little, I expect?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 11, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wiz posted:

We're trying to be a bit more thematic with the major update author picks, and I really don't know what kind of features would actually make sense there. Galactic highway planning?
Philosophical ascension by building a planetary supercomputer to figure out the ultimate answer, to life, the universe and everything. :pseudo:
But yeah I get your reasoning, I wasn't really being serious. :)

Aethernet posted:

Nebulas rendering some stars invisible until you're right on top of them. Races spawning there can't see out until they've got the first sensor tech.
And when they do get that tech they start a massive galactic war to purge everything.

Come to think of it, it could be cool to have some "primitives" be special in some way that would make them powerful way beyond their size, i.e. Krikkit, or humanity in Turtledove's Road Not Taken. Well, mabe not quite that strong, but anyways. Have them achieving space flight act as impromptu mid-game crises or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TacMan posted:

I haven't done the math, but it's way worse; base unity cost is 25% per planet, and pop increases based on various types of pops, slaves are more, xenos are more, etc. and you can't just drop a planet full of unity buildings like you can science.

Yeah, I just ran though the math, it isn't pretty. The scaling on population is so high that you can't possibly hope to generate enough Unity to maintain breakeven.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, I ended up in a tall game for my first real crack at Utopia (Xenophobe Pacifists with Inward Perfection, stayed at 5 planets for most of the game) and it actually is amazing how well the tradition buffs and Ascension perks can snowball. I'd run out of traditions I actually wanted by like 2330, and was hitting endgame tech around that time - basically everybody except the FEs is rated Inferior for tech.

I'm really curious: after doing that, what sort of fleet power and fleet cap are you running at?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm thinking there is room to build some sort of tall empire utilizing discovery/harmony and then branching into diplomacy.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

How do you play "tall" in this? I feel like I'm so gated by tech research points and resources that I'm just constantly expanding to keep up. Maybe I just don't understand the mechanics fully, but I seem to outpace all the other non-advanced start AIs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TacMan posted:

build an advanced tech fleet, exploit the domination unity tree, make everyone your vassals. no tech/unity cost increase, you get "allies" but you also can incorporate them later, or use them as buffer zones, and they boost your naval cap, like a reverse federation.

That's really devious, I like it. Plus, if you're going small w/ vassals/tributaries and pushing unity anyway, picking the option that gets you +200 fleet cap as your first ascension perk can keep you militarily relevant for along time.

Really though, why are ascension perks locked behind both techs and number of ascension perks you have already? It's not that likely that you'll get a tech super early, and it's not like any of the ascension perks are powerful unless you've already got the economy to leverage them. One or the other would be fine, both feels like overkill.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 11, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mister Bates posted:

Battle warscore seems to be a bit bugged, I keep getting negative warscore for battles I definitely won (annihilated the enemy force, no escapees, my fleet survived)

I've notice this, too. Wars seem kind of weird in this patch.

Loving the expansion. My only qualms are that it takes too long to get to Habitats and I feel you shouldn't be able to get every Tradition tree and that some Ascendency Perks should come from things other than getting to the end of each tree.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do vassals count negatively towards Unity gain in any way? Figure i can do liberation wars and vassalise whatever pops out if not.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Just wanna pop in and note how hard they knocked it out of the park with this music, drat.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dongattack posted:

Do vassals count negatively towards Unity gain in any way? Figure i can do liberation wars and vassalise whatever pops out if not.

There's a liberty tree perk that actually increases unity gain when you have vassals, I think. Not sure though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There is not. A bunch of subject bonuses in Domination, but not any that grant unity.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

Just wanna pop in and note how hard they knocked it out of the park with this music, drat.

:agreed:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't look over my FE neighbor very well. They already didn't like Materialist rear end, being Spiritual themselves, and when I colonized a Tomb World with Droids for a mineral boost, they got a lot unhappier.

Then my Cyborg Ascension popped in and they REALLY noticed me. They demanded I destroy anything on that planet as well as my outpost near them. I refused just because I was screwed either way.

Incidentally; when starting a new game, should I be specializing planets as I get them, or build whatever the tile has a bonus to, and filling in empty ones with whatever? I didn't start specializing till I had four planets already rolling and it felt slow.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've stacked a bunch of bonuses for habitability, and now my sectors have started colonising Tomb Worlds, at 55%.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Stacking habitability can definitely end up a 'problem', I was using droids to colonize crapsack planets and turn them into gigantic strip mines. Then at some point my Weak lizards decided that emigrating from 100 percent habitability planets to a howling wasteland full of robots and open quarries was a great idea just because they could sort of breath the atmosphere.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How should one build their empire so as to not get rolled over by another empire as soon as you are attacked? I have learned from painful experience that building up to the fleet limit just isn't sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

I'm pretty sure the only reason it's tied to ethics in the first place is that they explicitly want robots and psionics mutually exclusive--hence spiritualists being 'outlaw robots.'

I just think you can do that without tying it to ethics.

They already are, you can't pick genetics, psionics, or robotic ascension if you have any of the others. But I just researched sentient AI with psionics so I don't think that's locked.

PittTheElder posted:

That part is actually wrong, I picked the first psionic perk as my second ascension pick, I don't know if you could do it earlier if you got psionic theory early.

• Locked thread