Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

corn in the bible posted:

that already happened, it was a playstation vr EXPERIENCE and was awful

Has anybody figured out how to make VR good yet or is it as dumb as it seems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

you should play titanfall 2

I did for like 60 hours already

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I did, it was really good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The guy with the tiny head on a gigantic body.

At least you remember Joe Texas Jr, there's like 30 other forgettable characters

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My only concern for when Gearbox inevitably capsizes is what will happen to the Homeworld IP.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The guy with the tiny head on a gigantic body.

Compare with how he used to look back when it was still brothers in arms furious four

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kai Tave posted:

My only concern for when Gearbox inevitably capsizes is what will happen to the Homeworld IP.

I feel pretty bad that Deserts of Kharak, one of my top ten games of 2016, has to have Gearbox slapped on it because of that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1yrFE9FfrA

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

At least you remember Joe Texas Jr, there's like 30 other forgettable characters
When he’s not clotheslining bears for fun, Montana can be found suppressing enemies with his fearsome minigun and soaking up industrial-sized buckets of hurt on behalf of his comrades. Self-appointed morale officer of the Battleborn and friend to all.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Maybe they should've made a fun game for all those characters to be in and also not spent dumb amounts of money trying to make it an esports phenomenon. Maybe.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Guy Goodbody posted:

Has anybody figured out how to make VR good yet or is it as dumb as it seems?

yes, but not $800 good.

also not "re-arrange my furniture every time I want to play a videogame" good, which is important when all the good games so far require re-arranging your furniture to play.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

i'm not really fond of double fine

People have so much goodwill for Lucasarts adventure games just because they weren't quite as bad as their competition and they had things like "voice acting" and "jokes". It was really disappointing finally getting to play the re-releases and see that they're still pretty impenetrable without a guide and a lot of the wacky proto-nerd humor has aged horribly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hahaha one of the s links in persona 5 is Japanese Bernie sanders

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Guy Mann posted:

People have so much goodwill for Lucasarts adventure games just because they weren't quite as bad as their competition and they had things like "voice acting" and "jokes". It was really disappointing finally getting to play the re-releases and see that they're still pretty impenetrable without a guide and a lot of the wacky proto-nerd humor has aged horribly.

They're mostly over 20 years old at this point and no matter how you skin them, they're still point-and-click adventure games banking on 90's cartoon humor. It's a problem with old games in general. Hell, even going back to SMB1 and 2 is rough these days even though at the time, they were absolutely amazing and well-loved.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

precision posted:

Hahaha one of the s links in persona 5 is Japanese Bernie sanders

he would have won

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Persona 5 protagonist old enough to vote?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grapplejack posted:

Living in the East Coast gives you an extra reason to hate people who live on the West Coast, since when they bitch about heat it's always preferable to what we have. I would rather have a 110° dry heat day than a 85° day at 80% humidity.

people call living hawaii paradise but it really isn't when it's 85-95+° out at 92% humidity, which it is almost every day between march and november ever since climate shift started and the wind stopped

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

iron brigade is a really fun game that is by double fine

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quest For Glory II posted:

iron brigade is a really fun game that is by double fine

i was just about to say iron brigade was fun but basically unplayable online when we tried in 2013 because whenever someone other than the host would pick up scrap, everyone's game would hang proportional to the amount of scrap picked up. df's posted solution was "use the beta" but they had since locked it behind a password that they never revealed to the public

so since we couldn't play it after spending money on it, my opinion of it is fairly negative

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
full throttle, sam & max and monkey island 1-3 are still good

a lot of people like grim fandango but it's kind of half-baked imo

the dig is bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It should be simple to make good VR games- take any of the good "experiences" and make them 8+ hours long instead of 1-2. Or identify AAA games that are going to get made anyway but could be compatible with VR and give them VR modes.

Even if it's not the full game, value-add VR stuff like Tomb Raider did would make the device a lot more attractive.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 11, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

i was just about to say iron brigade was fun but basically unplayable online when we tried in 2013 because whenever someone other than the host would pick up scrap, everyone's game would hang proportional to the amount of scrap picked up. df's posted solution was "use the beta" but they had since locked it behind a password that they never revealed to the public

so since we couldn't play it after spending money on it, my opinion of it is fairly negative
oh i only played it solo

also i liked hack & slash and broken age. but i never played spacebase or massive chalice which are the ones everyone calls the stinkers of the modern DF era

i wanna play headlander and that animal crossing/pokemon thing they're publishing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People are saying that Resident Evil 7 in PSVR is really good, and you can play that whole game in VR

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i heard massive chalice was one of the better games, and hack & slash is the one nobody likes

i'd probably be more critical of broken age but i never finished it because for some reason after loving act 1, the moment i tried playing act 2 after waiting several months i lost all interest entirely

i used to be pretty positive on costume quest but when i tried replaying it the combat was kind of bad, and costume quest 2 somehow looks even worse

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

act 2 is where the difficulty curve brings in the tougher puzzles and people apparently didn't want that, which is interesting since people's criticism of act 1 is it didn't have enough puzzles. i only had to look up two things, one of which was the snake falling asleep which i would have learned anyway had i just sat there, and that one of the wiring puzzles involved inverting the directions. and that was it. so it wasn't that they were hard?

but i get not caring about where the story goes in act 2 since it's difficult to top the cliffhanger

i got to a point in costume quest where my situation was just unwinnable and then when i got a new computer there apparently was no steam cloud saving so i'd have to start over. WOOPS!!! that and The Cave were the mediocre games in the old Doublefine era (while Stacking was king supreme)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the people complaining about the easy puzzles in act 1 were super dumb. overcomplicated adventure game puzzles loving bite and are like the opposite of what i play them for

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh man, I was just talking in the PS4 thread about how I hadn't played a jrpg in a long time before Persona 5. I forgot that I played Costume Quest. The premise and art were cute, for like five minutes. Then it got super boring and I only finished it because it was short.

I guess I also played and enjoyed Stick of Truth, but the actual combat gameplay was pretty rote

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

They're mostly over 20 years old at this point and no matter how you skin them, they're still point-and-click adventure games banking on 90's cartoon humor. It's a problem with old games in general. Hell, even going back to SMB1 and 2 is rough these days even though at the time, they were absolutely amazing and well-loved.

SMB1 and 2 are ageless treasures

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the problem with a point n click adventure for Normies is that they'll only accept puzzle design that is 100% sound and logical but when your puzzles are sound and logical then it stops forcing you to think and just becomes a series of fetch quests (oh a locked door? guess i need to get a key. something's high up? i remember an extremely obvious ladder 7 screens away, off i go). that's my general issue for modern P&C adventures, especially the ones Telltale did before they converted to a Visual Novel Development Studio. the puzzles are no more difficult than the ones in modern Hidden Object Games.

it's snobbery to be sure but i just want adventure games to be tough with gentle hint systems, and if i want to not think while doing a P&C adventure i'll kick up an Artifex Mundi game

i'm not saying i want games to have cat hair mustache puzzles but i want them to have puzzles that at least don't boil down to "fetch obvious thing to solve obvious puzzle" because then you may as well have glowing arrows on the ground and waypoint markers

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The only old-school adventure game I could probably return to is Loom

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo today's daily challenge in Binding of Isaac is awesome:

For those of you not familiar with the game, that character's gimmick is that she can't attack by herself but she starts the game with a familiar that attacks for her and has a special ability that lets her double her number of followers. And in today's special mode she starts with a half-dozen additional familiars. It's like playing as the boss in a bullet hell game, especially when you've doubled (or more!) your followers and are weaving a conga line of death through the level.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm really glad Kickstarter taught gamers that video game auteurs actually do need producers to keep them to a budget and schedule.

Not counting Hideo Kojima, ofc

At this point in time I think launching a Kickstarter for your game and marketing it using a Golden Oldie Game Developer could endanger your chances of getting a ton o' cash than if you were just a well-rounded group of seasoned people with decent pedigrees making a new title or spiritual successor or whatever.

It's like, on another note I noticed that some of the things people have complained about the most in regards to Kickstarted games that actually get released but still aren't all that well received were originally included in said games as stretch-goals. The mandatory quiz-rounds, the 2D and 3D Mine Cart parts and the Mini-Game sections people are saying are the worst parts of playing YL? Stretch-goals.

All the fluff Mighty No. 9 stuffed inside itself that never amounted to much and actually detracted from the overall experience like (but not limited to) voice acting? Stretch-goals.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are we categorizing all of mighty number 9 as a stretch goal

also the additional campaigns for shovel knight are better than the vanilla game, and were stretch goals

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bloodychill posted:

Maybe they should've made a fun game for all those characters to be in and also not spent dumb amounts of money trying to make it an esports phenomenon. Maybe.

"Trying to make it an esports phenomenon" isn't even in the top 10 problems with Battleborn. Number one would probably be a tie between "charging $60 MSRP for a game where half of the content is gated behind interminable grinding for in-game currency if you don't feel like paying real world money" and "making your game just generally not very good at all."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how can battleborn be an esports game when it is hobby grade. actually i have no idea what hobby grade means

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how can battleborn be an esports game when it is hobby grade. actually i have no idea what hobby grade means

Deep enough to do as a serious hobby for years like rc aircraft, bowling, fighting games, majong, etc

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hobby grade is better than toy grade

Video games are toys

Holy poo poo you guys turns out everyone was trying to say that Battleborn was good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hobby grade is better than toy grade

Video games are toys

Holy poo poo you guys turns out everyone was trying to say that Battleborn was good?

Oh poo poo yeah this guy is actually right its a build quality thing. My answer was more what does randy mean when he says hobby rather than what does it mean to normal people

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Palpek posted:

Bulletstorm was loving amazing but selling a completely unnecessary remaster that:

-doesn't improve anything about the known issues with the game (like adding more combos based on tons of available player feedback and speedruns, adding encounters to places/arenas that felt abandoned, adding a co-op campaign and ng+)
-doesn't finish the cliffhanger campaign
-removes the original version of the game from stores
-is being sold at a full-game price even to previous bulletstorm owners
-doesn't even include that dumb duke nukem bonus protagonist because it's being sold for additional money as DLC

is some peak Gearbox bullshit. Instead of using this as a chance to rejuvenate the game for a potential sequel by improving it they're basically burying it and will be dumbfounded how come it didn't sell.

i was a dumb poo poo and preordered it only because people can fly made the remaster. its still a great game but now sligtly better looking and 60fps as well as new game plus. the duke thing is weird because its basically a glorified skin but jon st john kinda says poo poo over the cutscenes and during gameplay while characters call him grey and go about their story normal. it sorta works but its eh. and it looks lazy as gently caress at times.

does anyone even play that game? i played the beta and it was loving terrible and unfunny as gently caress. it was like if you made borderlands cut out any of what little clever stuff there was and made it even worse and toned it down to just lovely memes.

Guy Mann posted:

i grew up after the point and clicks and mostly played tie fighter and battlegrounds(still love that game) and jedi outcast and academy as well as kotor. i even liked the force unleashed games because i am broken.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Palpek posted:

Bulletstorm was loving amazing but selling a completely unnecessary remaster that:

-removes the original version of the game from stores

Is that a Europe thing or something? Because it's still available in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Amazon isn't really a good counterpoint to "removed from stores" tbh: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=too+human

Also for something that is legally not supposed to be on store shelves I'm kinda surprised Too Human isn't more expensive.

• Locked thread