Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SlayVus posted:

I have a samsung 64gb that can do 90mb/s reads when connected to my PC.

Even the fastest SD card can't even come close to eMMC/NVMe.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even the slowest SD card can't even come close to eMMC/NVMe.

Fastest?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even the slowest SD card can't even come close to eMMC/NVMe.

Assuming you meant to write fastest, there's plenty of eMMC that's gone into consumer devices that is slower than fast SD cards, and NVMe is no guarantee of fast flash being attached either, just a fast potential access path.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

eMMC is literally is the same interface as an SD card, it's just embedded.

The real issue comes is how the storage is optimized. Nearly all SD cards are optimized for sequential reads and writes as that's their primary use case. Random IO performance is something that is needed to run apps effectively, and that's something most SD cards don't do very well.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

lol, wtf brain? Ugh.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The point is that people used adopted storage because the lovely handset manufacturers were trying to charge $100 for adding another 32GB eMMC NAND that costs about 6 bucks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Syrinxx posted:

The point is that people used adopted storage because the lovely handset manufacturers were trying to charge $100 for adding another 32GB eMMC NAND that costs about 6 bucks.

Is that literally how much the internal memory costs in these handsets?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is that literally how much the internal memory costs in these handsets?

More or less, but there's also the increased costs to consider for of manufacturing, distributing, and supporting multiple SKUs. Although those extra considerations would disappear if they only had a single model that used larger memory.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

bull3964 posted:

eMMC is literally is the same interface as an SD card, it's just embedded.

The real issue comes is how the storage is optimized. Nearly all SD cards are optimized for sequential reads and writes as that's their primary use case. Random IO performance is something that is needed to run apps effectively, and that's something most SD cards don't do very well.

How do you optimize a storage device for random io vs sequential?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Virtue posted:

How do you optimize a storage device for random io vs sequential?

It can be multiple factors. It's mostly down to the microcontroller in the SD card itself and the translation between the underlying storage and the virtual interface that's presented to the device.

For example, the underlying block size can vary. If your SD card has larger blocks and you are doing a lot of small random writes (like an application might do) you are going to incur a severe performance penalty since the underlying storage is going to have to erase more storage than needed for the smaller writes.

Raspberry PI people have done extensive benchmarking of cards since that's the main storage in use for those devices and you can see how random writes can REALLY vary in speed.

https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards

You can see that a Samsung Evo+ 32gb card can manage 3MB/sec 4k random writes while a Transcend 32GB (of the same class rating) only manages 0.84MB/s for the same test.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Given that the alternative doesn't work, it would seem they can charge whatever they want? I mean, you'll always have idiots who'd rather pay less and have a non-solution, but really when you want something and there's only one good way to go about it, then you'll pay whatever it costs. If you're willing to cut corners just to save a few bucks then I guess you didn't really want it, sorry about your poverty (which likely is connected to the poor choices you're making).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Given that the alternative doesn't work, it would seem they can charge whatever they want? I mean, you'll always have idiots who'd rather pay less and have a non-solution, but really when you want something and there's only one good way to go about it, then you'll pay whatever it costs. If you're willing to cut corners just to save a few bucks then I guess you didn't really want it, sorry about your poverty (which likely is connected to the poor choices you're making).

This post is unnecessarily condescending and rude.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

More or less, but there's also the increased costs to consider for of manufacturing, distributing, and supporting multiple SKUs. Although those extra considerations would disappear if they only had a single model that used larger memory.

Like Oneplus does :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This post is unnecessarily condescending and rude.

I didn't mean it to be. I mean it to say what's the difference if the part is $6 or $90? It has no bearing on the matter at all.

If you want that storage and you want it for apps, there's one thing that works. Everything else has downsides and they've tried everything else. Either you're willing to pay what they ask, regardless of cost to them, or you aren't and you don't really want it. What you want is something without the cost which yes, we all want in everything but isn't realistic.

People who are opting to forgo the expense of the only working solution because they somehow feel that they're being "ripped off" are self-sabotaging. Turns out this is common and that's why there's a saying: Penny wise and pound foolish. Maybe it's condescending, but it turns out that that behavior only reinforces the situation that got you to thinking of a way to save $50 on your phone at the cost of it not working.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What an oddly specific topic to have such strong and self righteous stance on

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The argument is moot in this case as Nvidia only offers the K1 in one storage size.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
If I want a tablet for no other reason then to read PDF files, which tablet will I be buying this fine evening.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

MisterPlastic posted:

If I want a tablet for no other reason then to read PDF files, which tablet will I be buying this fine evening.

You can snag a used Fire HD 10 on ebay for around $100. It's pretty underpowered but it should handle PDFs just fine.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

MisterPlastic posted:

My favorite for this is a Used Nook HD+, also underpowered but able to handle PDFs, but 9" 1080p IPS screen. Usually in the $40-$50 range on eBay.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MisterPlastic posted:

iPad can't be beat, though I guess maybe a recent Samsung 4:3 tablet will be roughly as good in the ways you care about. If the price is not a good bit less, just go iPad, though.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MisterPlastic posted:

If you plan to annotate or do any kind of editing (and budget allows) consider a surface 3. Nothing beats pen on paper but this comes close. I've used my SP3 for over 2 years now and it's replaced all of my old notebooks and binders.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Virtue posted:

If you plan to annotate or do any kind of editing (and budget allows) consider a surface 3. Nothing beats pen on paper but this comes close. I've used my SP3 for over 2 years now and it's replaced all of my old notebooks and binders.

Are you using the SP4 pen?

I've given up on using the pen that came with my SP3 - it's just feels so nasty on the glass screen and I never got the hang of it

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

dissss posted:

Are you using the SP4 pen?

I've given up on using the pen that came with my SP3 - it's just feels so nasty on the glass screen and I never got the hang of it

Nope, using the SP3 pen mostly out of cheapness. I tried the newer pen and think it feels better to write with but I've been using the original one for so long that I didn't think it was worth upgrading.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

MeKeV posted:

I've ordered a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus 10. Does this make me terrible or cool?

Welp, I'm surprisingly impressed with this thing! I havent got a massive amount of tablet experience to compare it to, Nexus 7 mk1 that I never really used, and some 8inch Toshiba windows tablet that was a waste of time.

Battery life is excellent, battery was at about 85% out of the box mid day Friday, a couple of system updates when I first turned it on, about 5 hours of onscreen time over the weekend including installing all my apps and set up. Was down to it's last few percent Monday morning. All with auto brightness turned on, wifi and bluetooth on the whole time.

Screen is nice, though as I say not a lot to compare it to. I was expecting the whole thing to feel bigger than it does, having the 10inch screen. But it's a great size for me, and comfortable to hold one handed with the battery "pipe". Though I've never agreed with the "7-8inch tablet is the best tablet", as it never seemed different enough to make me use the tablet over my phone. 10inch is great for Photos, and Snapseed. And it's working nicely with Plex so far.

Seems not significantly less responsive than my Pixel in normal use, plenty happy with the speed initially. Whether I get some slow downs with more use remains to be seen.

I'm hesitant to recommend it though, as Lenovo's track record suggests no more updates ever, to be stuck on the 6.0.1 (February 2017 security patch) that it's on now. There's not a lot of Lenovo specific things on it though, it's almost stock android bar a couple of uninstallable apps, and the home app.

Note this is all based on the refresh model which has 3GB of RAM and I think a Snapdragon 652, there are older versions with the same terrible name AFAIK, and also a none PLUS version.

EDIT - So since last full charge this thing has been powered on but not used a great deal (~4hrs screen on time) and it's at 14 DAYS 12hrs with 27% battery left!

I've nothing recent to compare with, but that's pretty drat good right?

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My Nexus 7 (2013) isn't booting. It'll show the boot animation, then Starting Apps, and then go back to the Boot Animation, where it stays, while the screen gets bright, then dark.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you enabled OEM unlocking in the boot menu, you could try reflashing the factory images.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It is unlocked, but I'm having a hard time getting it to boot into recovery mode. It seems to take 5 or more tries to get it, because more often than not, it just turns off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It doesn't look good. This sounds like failing storage.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I finally managed to get in, and do a factory reset. So far, everything seems to be OK.

Also, I was wondering, is it possible to root and stick a custom as close to stock as possible Android 7.x ROM on it, then remove root and keep Android 7?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

Also, I was wondering, is it possible to root and stick a custom as close to stock as possible Android 7.x ROM on it, then remove root and keep Android 7?
You don't need root to install a ROM. Root is an OS-level concept. If your bootloader is unlocked then you can flash whatever you want onto the thing. I can't say anything for the quality of whatever random third-party ROM you might find to do this though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tunga posted:

You don't need root to install a ROM. Root is an OS-level concept. If your bootloader is unlocked then you can flash whatever you want onto the thing. I can't say anything for the quality of whatever random third-party ROM you might find to do this though.

Oh. Thanks for the info. That's very nice to know.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On the one hand, it's out of the support window anyway and it's easy to flash whatever you want on there.

On the other hand, it just got done making GBS threads the bed for no reason so maybe flashing all the partitions again isn't the best idea. (Although I guess if it's going to fail it's going to fail regardless of your actions.)

Honestly flashing poo poo is so easy on those devices there isn't a reason not to try poo poo out if you're interested in doing so. It's not like you can't flash back to stock in five minutes if you want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 is back down to $299 at Best Buy and $289 at Costco.

I've had mine for a little over a month now and even though I'm generally not a Samsung fan, it's been a nice upgrade over the Nexus 7 2013.

I think it and the K1 are just about the only decent 8" tablet choices right now and I feel that the screen of the S2 really edges out the K1.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I haven't been following android tablets for years but can you use a stylus at all with the S2? Primarily it would be used for sketching sewing designs and I'm not sure what options there are for android tablets.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duffmensch posted:

I haven't been following android tablets for years but can you use a stylus at all with the S2? Primarily it would be used for sketching sewing designs and I'm not sure what options there are for android tablets.

The Galaxy Tab S2 can only use standard capacitive styluses, like any phone or tablet. It won't really work well for detailed sketching.

The Galaxy Tab S3 supports a proper Wacom-style stylus through the included "S-Pen", which would be perfect for sketching stuff. But of course the S3 tab is about $200 more than the S2.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

How much is the Tab S3 in the US? Because I think it's about €800 here. :lol:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

irlZaphod posted:

How much is the Tab S3 in the US? Because I think it's about €800 here. :lol:

$600 in the US.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

EDIT: Wrong android thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sir, this is the Android tablet thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If I am able to get a Pixel C for a good price, is that a bad idea at this point?