Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

OwlFancier posted:

They already are, you can't pick genetics, psionics, or robotic ascension if you have any of the others. But I just researched sentient AI with psionics so I don't think that's locked.

I had the same thing happen. Since spiritualists can't build robots though, all it does is buff research speed as far as I can tell. At least, no AI rebellion yet.

Also, Shroud spoiler:

I got a Shroud event for an Avatar, and it worked. The thing is, I didn't see the giant ship so I thought the event must have been bugged. That is, until like 10 years later and I'm gearing up to do a ground assault, and I notice one lone Psi Trooper on my homeworld. Lo and behold, it's the Avatar, and it is easily the most powerful ground combat unit in the game with 48 damage. I'm almost tempted to see if it can survive a solo invasion. Sadly, since ground combat is just watching numbers tick down it probably won't be very interesting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

How do you play "tall" in this? I feel like I'm so gated by tech research points and resources that I'm just constantly expanding to keep up. Maybe I just don't understand the mechanics fully, but I seem to outpace all the other non-advanced start AIs.

Focus on colonizing only large planets, every planet you grab increases your unity and tech costs. Pop counts too for tech, but planets incur a cost too so fewer planets = more efficient for the same number of pops.

That said you can't really go tall very well. The only thing you can get good at with a small empire is unity because extra planets hit your unity costs hard. Otherwise as long as you make sure to increase your research output on every new world, you are better going wide than tall because you will get boxed in before that becomes inefficient.

Your other option, i suppose, is to build hard for teching with your species picks, I would suggest intelligent and natural engineers for full robo-ascension and bonuses to construction tech, because if you can tech up to battleships and fortresses you can start to build habitats which by all accounts are very powerful for research, which should let you boost into a ringworld, and a ringworld can set you up for the whole game, but it will seriously cost you in minerals so you'd better have some really good mining worlds.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just popping in to confirm that wormholes are still objectively the superior starting FTL.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just popping in to confirm that wormholes are still objectively the superior starting FTL.

But hyperlane only games rule the day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I could bring myself to play non hyperlane only games but I don't think I could bear the lack of coherent fronts in warfare.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So I just finished off the Unbidden and so my fleet is under strength, these guys are still SUPER ANGRY at my being soulless robots who colonise Tomb Worlds.

They are however not in any position to do anything about it:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

How should one build their empire so as to not get rolled over by another empire as soon as you are attacked? I have learned from painful experience that building up to the fleet limit just isn't sufficient.
What stage of the game are you talking about? Early on, building spaceports at your planets is a pretty big roadblock.

If you are getting rolled over midgame at fleet cap (more like fleet suggestion), it is likely because your fleet cap was low. Going over your fleet cap is just fine, particularly if you forsee a war coming.

Despite the new 'playing tall' stuff, the game is still largely about getting more resources. He who can throw more minerals into ships wins, and one of the best ways to get more minerals is to have more territory. More planets also means more spaceports, which means a higher fleet cap. The person who is expanding and grabbing more space is probably the one who is coming out ahead. By the time the constructions come into play the game is effectively over.

I would like to see constructions and terraforming be more viable throughout the game. It would also be nice if things like weapon techs made a more appreciable difference. From a mineral to effectiveness standpoint, they are barely worth the effort.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 11, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah even with Unity being so hard to come by, maximum rapid expansion still feels like the best strategy.

Really I don't even mind missing out on Traditions, I just wish you could still get Ascension slots for playing with the cool stuff before the end game. Maybe that suggestion of having a goal associated with each Tradition line - which would give you a second Ascension perk for achieving it - is a good one.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Newest version of the Awful Utopia mod is out!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?edit=true&id=902254973

Libluini posted:

Zorvhox

Evil-looking centipedes. They're kind of a challenge to play as, since they're large, slow-developing monsters who can't even stand their own fellow monsters. Aside from being aggressive, flesh-eating carnivores, they're also actually kind of nice. Well, as nice as centipedes can be. (At this point everyone who knows centipedes will laugh darkly while nodding sagely.)

Being super-monsters from a planet where everything is made from some sort of organic steel means they can live practically everywhere, though. A crafty player could leverage their adaptability to their advantage.

Axiom is a reference to some old SF game, by the way. If you know the real Axiom, just imagine the Zorvhox-homeworld as a similarly polluted industrial hell hole.

Warning: This entry needs my Weird Arthro mod to work, for both the portrait and the custom name list. Link

I had to remove these guys. The Weird Arthro mod doesn't appear to actually be working for me.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 11, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I just ran though the math, it isn't pretty. The scaling on population is so high that you can't possibly hope to generate enough Unity to maintain breakeven.

I'm really curious: after doing that, what sort of fleet power and fleet cap are you running at?

I'm rather curious too, as to what's a good year to be conquering the galaxy in? It's 2314 in my current game--I have 5 trees maxed, 470 pops, 50 worlds, and I totally eclipse all non-FEs both technologically and in fleet power (FEs rate Inferior in naval capacity/power but Overwhelming in tech). I never really felt like Unity flowed in slowly once I started building Unity buildings.

I did prioritize traditions that would grant me even more unity, however--incidentally the Expansion tree has two good ones here, and the first two buildings I throw down on each planet are usually the Monument and Symbol of Unity. I'm certain I could have pushed military harder if I wanted to, but it didn't seem like the way to go for this particular game where I met no rival empires for a good 50 years. Large-sized galaxy.

Edit: And to confirm, I'm not playing a Pacifist build, though Unity Farms look broken.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 11, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I just ran though the math, it isn't pretty. The scaling on population is so high that you can't possibly hope to generate enough Unity to maintain breakeven.

You totally can, or at least a very slow decline. I've been about 55 to 60 months per Tradition pick for the last ... 4 or 5 Tradition trees? I've got all but one of them filled out now and I own about a third of the galaxy. I'm not going super hyper aggressive expansion taking every world I possibly can, and I actually can't declare wars of expansion (pacifist xenophobe and too many factions want peace + defensive wars only, I'd ruin my economy by switching and declaring a liberation war) so I'm not expanding super incredibly fast. That said, I do still pop a couple colonies a year on average, and I've told my sectors they can colonize too (after making sure that the local Holy Worlds aren't in any sectors). Not sure whether they actually are doing so or not, but I have upwards of 60 worlds.

I'm running pacifist xenophobes with the Inwards Perfection civic, the civic that makes farms give unity (and I have way more farms than I need, I'm running like +100 food), and have made sure every planet that isn't colonized inside an already established sector has the unity buildings constructing before I hand it over. At this point I have all of the non-Diplomacy (ie non-Federation) unity Traditions, and I made sure that Expansion was my second so that I could halve the colony impact on unity early on. It's been pretty steady since then.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a mod that shows which technologies a scientist trait unlocks when you mouse over it? Or a up to date list online somewhere.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Updated these guys.

Yes, that's Xenophobe you see listed not once, not twice, but three times for the first group. No, the effects do not stack. It's just useless.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 11, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

OwlFancier posted:

They already are, you can't pick genetics, psionics, or robotic ascension if you have any of the others. But I just researched sentient AI with psionics so I don't think that's locked.

Nah, I mean, they want Psionics and Robots completely seperate, hence the auto 'Outlawed AI' on Spiritualist.

Can you still go full Psionics on a non-spiritualist empire?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm having trouble figuring out how the new factions work. Had an anti-slavery faction pop up, and as I am currently technologically speeding along a race that is natural engineer and strong, I have no intention of doing away with slavery.

So I tried to suppress them, and that has cratered the happiness of everyone in the faction. How do I get them to at least be happy enough to not have production penalties?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

GlyphGryph posted:

Updated these guys.

Yes, that's Xenophobe you see listed not once, not twice, but three times for the first group. No, the effects do not stack. It's just useless.

A+ work there.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zurai posted:

Not sure whether they actually are doing so or not, but I have upwards of 60 worlds.

Mine seem to be pretty good about colonizing worlds in my borders and in the sector. I add an uncolonized planet to the sector and they get a ship over there fairly quickly.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how the new factions work. Had an anti-slavery faction pop up, and as I am currently technologically speeding along a race that is natural engineer and strong, I have no intention of doing away with slavery.

So I tried to suppress them, and that has cratered the happiness of everyone in the faction. How do I get them to at least be happy enough to not have production penalties?

Outlaw slavery.

That's kinda the point of the new faction system, you have to actually take into account what your people want. Sometimes the people don't always want what you do, welcome to politics.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Outlaw slavery.

That's kinda the point of the new faction system, you have to actually take into account what your people want. Sometimes the people don't always want what you do, welcome to politics.

I mean, the anti-slavery faction is probably supported by pops that are Egalitarian ethically, right? So provided you can shift pops away from that ethic it might be possible to maintain slavery. Above and beyond suppressing the faction.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah you can also try and shift them away to make the faction die in the long-term. But in terms of getting their happiness up right now there isn't really much to be done.

E: I guess raising living standards may help some, but if you're a brutal slaver empire and they're an anti-slavery faction I don't think they'll be happy no matter what. Best you can do is mitigate it.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

I had the same thing happen. Since spiritualists can't build robots though, all it does is buff research speed as far as I can tell. At least, no AI rebellion yet.

Also, Shroud spoiler:

The Shroud Avatar units are super strong, but it's like battleships: you don't send them alone and they are just monstruous when you got the usual support of a fleet/army. The Avatar Ship is just DISGUSTING.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also created some new guys:

quote:

Although they might appear robotic at a glance, Skaleds are actually small, pathetically weak beings, evolving in an environment where they were a favored prey species. Their primitive ancestors survived by covering themselves with debris, and though they have long since wiped out every predator species on their planet, the idea of actually allowing themselves to be seen by others is unthinkably... intimate. When the technology became available, they leapt at the opportunity to permanently encase themselves in suits of metal, the ultimate security blanket.

Finally safe, they began looking outwards towards the stars, where they encountered a number of potentially hostile predators. The Skaledians felt afraid, truly afraid, and thought to themselves "This will never do - they'll have to go."

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 11, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also created some new guys:

I approve!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Is it me or is the +1 Leader Skill racial trait pretty much always better than the +15% Leader EXP gain trait? Getting the extra few % from the start of the game is nice and then you can start stacking other +level bonuses to have level 4 or 5 leaders fresh from the pool.

Also one of my Hivemind Governors became a substance abuser and died the next week. RIP Autonomous Drone No. 54 or whatever your number was. :rip:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

That stage like 30 years after you start a new game where all your leaders drop dead in the same 5 year window kinda sucks.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
+15% experience means there are more opportunities to get traits, but yeah you're probably right +1 level is likely better.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BenRGamer posted:

Can you still go full Psionics on a non-spiritualist empire?

Per wiz in the DD I quoted, no, although once you start down psionics you can shift out of spiritualist.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Are these ship building tips still decently up to date?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/591i5m/my_detailed_feedback_on_13_weapon_types_and/

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That weapon info is from 1.3, but there's some solid advice buried in the other thread: read after-battle reports

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

isndl posted:

Is it me or is the +1 Leader Skill racial trait pretty much always better than the +15% Leader EXP gain trait? Getting the extra few % from the start of the game is nice and then you can start stacking other +level bonuses to have level 4 or 5 leaders fresh from the pool.

Also one of my Hivemind Governors became a substance abuser and died the next week. RIP Autonomous Drone No. 54 or whatever your number was. :rip:

It's rad to just spawn 4 star everything before you've even hit midgame, I can't imagine picking up XP gain over that.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Not all my experiments work...

:shepicide:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Having some +level stuff seems pretty decent with an anomaly rushing setup. With a hive mind you can have level 4 anomaly at 0% fail chance after that first discovery tradition.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Are fighters/bombers still hot garbage?

I really want to build a fleet of carriers, but last time I tried it when the game launched it was... uh, suboptimal

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Mayor Dave posted:

Also, Shroud spoiler:

I got a Shroud event for an Avatar, and it worked. The thing is, I didn't see the giant ship so I thought the event must have been bugged. That is, until like 10 years later and I'm gearing up to do a ground assault, and I notice one lone Psi Trooper on my homeworld. Lo and behold, it's the Avatar, and it is easily the most powerful ground combat unit in the game with 48 damage. I'm almost tempted to see if it can survive a solo invasion. Sadly, since ground combat is just watching numbers tick down it probably won't be very interesting to watch.

Be real careful with that, it might be the best ground unit in the game but it'll still eat poo poo if its transport gets nailed by an enemy fleet. Happened to me :(

Also make sure you attach psi commandos to it, because it wasn't already brokenly good.

TheCog posted:

Are fighters/bombers still hot garbage?

I really want to build a fleet of carriers, but last time I tried it when the game launched it was... uh, suboptimal

They're strong, but hard countered by flak and to a lesser extent point defense. Just the bombers from about 20k of battleships with a single bomber hanger each loving melted a wraith in a colour matched system, I think each got off like one particle lance shot. edit they were tier 3 bombers

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dog Kisser posted:

Not all my experiments work...

:shepicide:

this is how fanatic purifiers are made

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this is how fanatic purifiers are made

In response to the species pictured, or are they that species themselves?

edit: It does sorta make me want to make some sort of 'human mutants' pack where I just jam human textures into inappropriate models and see what happens.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dog Kisser posted:

edit: It does sorta make me want to make some sort of 'human mutants' pack where I just jam human textures into inappropriate models and see what happens.

Make it have an undocumented chance that anyone doing gene manipulation on their pops has an appropriate portrait change.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dog Kisser posted:

I mean that I saw that picture and my finger reflexively pounded the purge button

that leech beard, man

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So is Authoritarian any good if I'm not going to be used slaves because :effort:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The authoritarian faction gets pissy if you're not oppressing somebody, so you need to either nab a slave race early on or stick with caste system on your main one.

• Locked thread