Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't bite titties, ESPECIALLY if you've got some avatar of rage and anger trying to possess you.

Just another Solid Shinjobi Tip.:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Was the earlier season this closely storyboarded from the manga? You can easily tell what panel was used as a reference, though they still have those weird spinneroonie camera movements. The models are still really ugly, apart from Puck.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, if we're talking about Berserk influences, has anybody mentioned Zdzisław Beksiński as a influence? When things get demonic and surreal, I definitely get a Beksiński vibe.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's also that time he straight up drew part of Hieronymus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights when the worlds merged.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Visually, I mainly get Albrecht Durer and Gustave Dore woodcut vibes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mugticket posted:

Was the earlier season this closely storyboarded from the manga? You can easily tell what panel was used as a reference, though they still have those weird spinneroonie camera movements.

Referencing the manga is good. If this director was more experienced maybe he could try doing his own thing a little more, but with how clueless he is he needs to stick to the manga.

The loving camera though. I could deal with everything to do with this series if the camera was less loving crazy. Like they need to limit him to one crazy spin per episode.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

drjuggalo posted:

I picked up berserk like 3? weeks ago and am pretty deep in the falconia arc and am floored by the quality of the manga and it truly is everything everyone said it is and a bit more

that anime though is really :captainpop: how does it exist in the physical plane

I refuse to watch the new anime because it is so bad.

The manga is incredibly depressing because it will never be finished due to the author and their health/behavior.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Ccs posted:

Referencing the manga is good. If this director was more experienced maybe he could try doing his own thing a little more, but with how clueless he is he needs to stick to the manga.

The loving camera though. I could deal with everything to do with this series if the camera was less loving crazy. Like they need to limit him to one crazy spin per episode.

Here's the kicker: the director has a number of well-received anime under his belt. This is his first (well, second, if you count the first season separately) foray into CG. Super Eyepatch Wolf did a good video on why this is such a big deal, which boils down to "people forget how to animate moving from 2D to 3D". But that's only for the animation and camera. Everything else is incompetence.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah but everything else can be blamed on inexperienced staff, low budget, bad schedule. The camera is the one thing the director has a lot of control over, so I would forgive a lot of the series problems if the camera work was competent.

Second episode was alright, but there's still a lot of shots with the camera going crazy where I'm like "Just DON'T do that! Pick a place to put the camera and leave it there for the whole shot!"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hamelekim posted:

I refuse to watch the new anime because it is so bad.

The manga is incredibly depressing because it will never be finished due to the author and their health/behavior.

As far as anyone knows, Miura is as healthy as an ox. Togashi, the Hunter x Hunter guy, is the one with crippling back problems due to mistakes in his past.

Miura is just too lazy/perfectionist/busy playing Idolmaster to get chapters out on a regular basis. It's not exactly a Tezuka situation.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Visually, I mainly get Albrecht Durer and Gustave Dore woodcut vibes.

After doing a GIS on Gustave Dore I think I agree:

(Don Quixote)

Not sure but I see a resemblance:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Begemot posted:

As far as anyone knows, Miura is as healthy as an ox. Togashi, the Hunter x Hunter guy, is the one with crippling back problems due to mistakes in his past.

Miura is just too lazy/perfectionist/busy playing Idolmaster to get chapters out on a regular basis. It's not exactly a Tezuka situation.

Regardless it will probably never be done.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That last one's Bluebeard I'm pretty sure.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am watching the anime, y'all, and if there's anything in particular I feel like crying about I'll let ya know.

So far I'm just ho-hum about the whole thing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gustave Dore is definitely a huge influence on Miura. Both for his general style and for particular images.

He also drew some good monsters.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Bad Seafood posted:

That last one's Bluebeard I'm pretty sure.

Yup. I recall reading a book about fairy tale themes and this was the example picture for Bluebeard.

Those crazy eyes on that guy sort of stick in your memory.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Oh hey I recognize that last critter

The Phlegmatist posted:

Salvator Rosa (the artist who painted that) was kinda...messed up even by Renaissance art standards. Dude was obsessed with witches and bitched about other artists constantly depicting saints as half-naked. Also born four hundred years too early, 'cause he missed his chance to do art for Cannibal Corpse or something. He also had the good fortune to be essentially an independent artist rather than becoming dependent on his patrons, so he just made whatever he personally wanted to create.

when you're in the mosh pit and the lead guitar starts shredding

closing time at the witches coven

wicca sucks, what's up with the skyclad ceremonies and handfasting, they need to get back to their roots summoning evil bone creatures from the depths of hell

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bonus Temptation of Saint Anthony:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Those devils look so reassuring.

"Go get em buddy, we got your back!"

book
Nov 29, 2014
Where the gently caress is the temptation in that painting

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

book posted:

You don't wanna gently caress that devil???

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

book posted:

Do you NOT see the rockin' set of tits on that thing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

book posted:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Good soup! posted:

New opening: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5hixyt

This is going to be bad

2017 really wants to test how angry I can get, doesn't it?

Berserk 2017: Lord Give Me Strength to Endure this lovely anime.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it do be like dat

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Do you think they'll get on the boat this season?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

OP shows Guts with his white hair bit on the beach so I'm gonna bet that this season ends with this scene:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kinda looks like he's fighting him off with a wrench. Just my annual check in to see if there's been enough progress for me to start reading again. Seeing as though everyone is still talking about the boat I'm gonna assume not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kinda looks like he's fighting him off with a wrench. Just my annual check in to see if there's been enough progress for me to start reading again. Seeing as though everyone is still talking about the boat I'm gonna assume not.

They arrived at Elf Island, now we're talking about getting back on the boat and going home. (Jokingly, it's probably still a ways off.)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're in the middle of an attempted Casca mind heal with cool dream imagery and it's SUPPOSED to be back to monthly for at least a while. This is actually a pretty good time to come back.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

Do you think they'll get on the boat this season?

I reckon they will and hopefully, in the Berserk 2017verse, they really do never get off the boat.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Next season is all boat, requiring lots of juicy boat filler

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Next season is all boat, requiring lots of juicy boat filler

Do you think Berserk could go all One Piece for a season?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do you think Berserk could go all One Piece for a season?

Terrible animation, direction, pacing, slaughtering the writing of the manga while making poor use of good musical talent and just generally being a shitshow? Berserk is already pretty One Piece as is. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The One Piece anime has good episodes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
So did Berserk, in 1997

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hamelekim posted:

Er... Miura's fine as far as anyone knows, and the Idolmaster thing is primarily a meme (we know Miura plays it but we don't really know how much, we just kind of assume 24/7 because it's a funny mental image)

Plus the story's not that far from wrapping up, if they get Casca healed all that's left is for Guts to go gently caress Griffith up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

The One Piece anime has good episodes

Not denying that, I was hooked for the first 300 episodes which was a hell'va binge watch, but they're closing in on 800 now and half of them are poo poo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Plus the story's not that far from wrapping up, if they get Casca healed all that's left is for Guts to go gently caress Griffith up.

And then deal with whatever will happen to the joined worlds if Griffith dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guts still needs his ultimate power before defeating Griffith. If it's giving in to the berserker armor or setting it aside and believing in the power of friendship and love.