Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sakura Quest looks like a good time with good characters and epic chupacabra battles.

Re:Creators is like Fate/stay Night but LN characters instead of LN characters that are actually mythological/historical figures? Seems fun, and I really liked the music in the fight scenes and the ridiculous gun-sword-violin.

Alice to Zouroku is cute but I don't think I care about the plot at all. This should just be Sana and Sanae and Zouroku having a good time, imo.

Renai Boukun was okay but seems like it could have been a short? I have a hard time believing it will be able to sustain itself for an entire season of full-length episodes without getting super repetitive, but I'll give it a few episodes maybe.

Eromanga-sensei first episode made me think that I would enjoy something by this author that didn't have an awful premise, but I can't do any more of this.

Clockwork Planet I made it to the OP and dropped. I was half expecting the opening scene to actually be some bad anime-in-an-anime that the MC was watching, and not the actual series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I ended up binging all of Saekano and now I'm hyped for the impending second season.

BTW, is there anywhere streaming ID-0?

e: Wow, Nyaa has a grand total of 2 raws for it. Did it get completely ignored or something?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 11, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

ViggyNash posted:

BTW, is there anywhere streaming ID-0?

Netflix has it in Japan and possibly worldwide, which means they might wait until the whole series is over before uploading an official translation.

Which makes it hard to watch weekly, unless you can deal with untranslated shows (like crazy old me) or a fansub group randomly decides to pick it up.

That's a bummer since the first episode was pretty good...but I'd feel bad talking about it right now. I will say the preview music is rad though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I forget who it was but their description amounted to Eve Online: The Anime and I am really interested to check it out.

But apparently subbers don't have much interest in it and Netflix's anime streaming method is loving dumb, so I guess there's nothing I can do for now.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
We need a Kelly style comic with OUT OF TOUCH STREAMING CEOS hoarding anime from starving nerds.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched several first episodes today!

I again fell asleep watching Hinako Note, this time for a refreshing early evening nap. I'll try to finish it off as my bedtime story tonight, I guess. Maybe this is its purpose, to lull me to sleep a few times a week.

Sakura Quest
seems maybe alright. "Yoshi" bugs me, but I see what they're going for and I can get over it, and there were a few funny moments like when she just backs out of the bus and when she smacks the guy with her bag, so I'll keep watching for now.

The Eccentric Family 2
is great, of course. I love the haughty new guy, and I can't wait for everything to come crashing down when Benten returns. The backgrounds are so pretty!

Eromanga Sensei was entertaining, but it's totally going to be trashy. I may or may not watch more.

Alice & Zoroku was a lot of fun. Easily the best non-sequel thing I've seen thus far. It managed to justify its double-length 1st ep for its introductory arc, when normally I find those to be a bit much for a first look at a show.

Love Tyrant is really silly, and dumb. I was entertained, though, so as long as it manages that and I don't forget about it, I'll watch it, sure.

Makeruna!! Aku no Gundan! seems pretty good as a short. It's manga is by Nico's VA, and the ED for the first ep is sung in part by Rin's VA, so I pretty much have to watch it. The ED's really cute, actually, entirely independent of its song.

https://s1.webmshare.com/jQ0ZQ.webm

e: it's cute w/o sound but better with

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's been another fairly high-profile karoshi victim, this time at Pierrot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I tried Grimoire of Zero but I didn't like any of it. The characters were boring, their designs I thought were kind of ugly, the music was overwrought the settings are bland...

It wasn't bad, but it just didn't interest me one bit.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Knorth posted:

A Silent Voice is a pretty fantastic movie and I love Ishida's family :3:

The scene with the mums meeting after the festival was ridiculously powerful

Just got home from watching it at the movie theatre. agreed it's good as hell

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Grimoire of Zero gave me Chaika flashbacks, and I, for one, am down with that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ive been aching for a good new band anime, and after the miserable failure that was bang fream, fukumeki noise seems to be it. i laughed when she talked about how she couldn't stand twinkle twinkle little star too

the anime with the really, really long name Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? seems fine too. despite not being a music anime, it felt more like a music advertisement than fnoise tho, with the long panning sequences while music plays. also everyone has really dumb names but i like the fantasy babysitter with troll girl angle

those names tho

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Grimoire of Zero was pretty okay. I laughed at a couple of bits, but the setting and character design are super bland.

Cute ED, though:

https://files.catbox.moe/6rq5qs.webm

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ugh I looked it up after all this noise for s2 and I feel crushed that I was confusing saekano with sankarea. That show was so good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Re:Creators: Strong beginning, very much want the next episode soon.

Fukumenkei Noose: I didn't know how much I wanted this. Cool music, I like that they're actually going with out-of-tune singing which really helps underline the "raw" feel they're clearly going for.

Still badly behind on lots of the things I'm looking forward to checking...

kater posted:

Ugh I looked it up after all this noise for s2 and I feel crushed that I was confusing saekano with sankarea. That show was so good.

I thought the Sankarea anime felt like a good setup for things, albeit drawn out, but supposedly the original manga goes to poo poo shortly after or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least you're not confusing Saekano with Saikano.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nielsm posted:

Fukumenkei Noose: I didn't know how much I wanted this. Cool music, I like that they're actually going with out-of-tune singing which really helps underline the "raw" feel they're clearly going for.

I thought the Sankarea anime felt like a good setup for things, albeit drawn out, but supposedly the original manga goes to poo poo shortly after or something.

The director of Sankarea went on to do Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, which was actually one of the reasons people were so hyped for the latter show - he elevated the hell out of the source material for his first couple of gigs (Sankarea and Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen), and people wanted to see how he'd do with something actually good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Re;Creators keeps a good mix of goofs going forward, particularly for the ridiculous antagonist.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

Sankarea goes into a really weird direction complete with a secret zombie laboratory on a remote tropical island and more incest undertones and an ending that throws out all of the tension it creates. If it stayed as a rom-com with zombies, it'd be nice, but nope.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I hope Re;Creators keeps a good mix of goofs going forward, particularly for the ridiculous antagonist.

Sword rifle violin girl could definitely afford to have a bit more fun poked at her. I'd hate to think that the show wanted us to take her pseudophilosophical waffle seriously.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cinderella girls theatre is good, time to try the royal tutor

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Xelkelvos posted:

Sankarea goes into a really weird direction complete with a secret zombie laboratory on a remote tropical island and more incest undertones and an ending that throws out all of the tension it creates. If it stayed as a rom-com with zombies, it'd be nice, but nope.

You're not making me want to read the manga less. (Actually, I started reading it shortly after seeing the show (some 4? years ago) but fell off of it. This sounds too good to miss, though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The royal tutor would be better with a cute girl or two or if the princes were in fact princesses

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

You're not making me want to read the manga less. (Actually, I started reading it shortly after seeing the show (some 4? years ago) but fell off of it. This sounds too good to miss, though.

I think you can easily afford to miss it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

in spite of my legitimate complaints, the royal tutor is fun enough to stick with.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

chumbler posted:

I think you can easily afford to miss it.

What can I say, I like stories that go where they will organically, without the creator trying to force them to stay within specific subgenre constraints. Sometimes it's too sudden a shift and I get pissed off (typically movies from several volumes ahead of where the series ended, like with "Eternal My Master!") but typically it's at least interesting to read/watch. And in full manga form, it shouldn't cause quite the same whiplash for me as it has in a couple anime series.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Davincie posted:

those names tho

Does this take place in the Cthulhu Mythos?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I pity poor Colon.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

chumbler posted:

I pity poor Colon.

You shouldn't. She's an rear end in a top hat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The anime with the incredibly long name that people seem to be shortening to Sukasuka is off to a very strong start. We'll see if it holds up, but I can't really name anything in particular that the first ep didn't do well. Definitely keeping it on the queue for now.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

There's subs for ID-0
It was OK I guess, basically about action packed space mining. I'll check out a few more episodes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was thinking about long LN names today and realised that they still have a long way to go to rival the Victorians.

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone find me a gif of the idiot twins and the granny doing the weird Durarara dance in the the first episode of Eccentric Family 2?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh wow, I didn't even notice the woman in the back

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Haha, I didn't either, that's great!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, the granny was the entire reason I wanted the gif. You can see her dizzy in the next shot of the twins.

Thanks Waffleman.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

Sword rifle violin girl could definitely afford to have a bit more fun poked at her. I'd hate to think that the show wanted us to take her pseudophilosophical waffle seriously.

i don't think she'll actually be the main antagonist just because she's clearly a stupendously chuuni anime antagonist. she'll be a jerk for a while, but the real conflict is likely to be 'okay but why are all these animes showing up in reality, what rear end in a top hat is pulling this poo poo', and then she will be helpful and the joke will be 'yes i'm glad you have such convoluted opinions about the rivers of time but i need to know what you want on your sandwich'

there's some production art of her making faces that aren't just smug and also not in a hat which are signs that she might end up interacting with people in a normal fashion

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

yay, i shall partake of the potato chips and cola to celebrate

Namtab posted:

When you're tired of cute girls doing cute things cutely, you're tired of lif

now i want to rewatch Engaged to the Unidentified

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 12, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I hadn't watched the video at first and thought you meant Ebichu.
Now I'm somewhat disappointed, even though I shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

nielsm posted:

I hadn't watched the video at first and thought you meant Ebichu.
Now I'm somewhat disappointed, even though I shouldn't be.

my first thought was of ebichu as well.

i loved the follow-on shot where the old lady is dizzy

• Locked thread