Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

goddamn that's savage

e- lol say what you will but the dude is a next level troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I was neither for or against trump but I do enjoy comedy and he's bringing that in spades so I'm enjoying my time in the Trump presidency so far.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

lol remember when Hillary said Pepe was a racist frog cartoon

remember when some dude shouted PEPE during hillarys speech and rachel maddow turned it into some long segment about how trump and his supporters are unrepentant nazis

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Reminder Hillary spent most of her political career preparing to become president while trump ran on a whim after Obama owned him at that one White House Correspondence dinner

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

VikingSkull posted:

lol like any of those groups won't commit mass suicide when the Republicans crush the Democrats in the 2018 midterms
That'll happen, too. They'll *do* it next time. As sure as poster zegermans bashes the fash (on a daily basis).

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
bash the fash in this case means tattooing a Stahlhelm on the tip of his dick

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

CharlestonJew posted:

Reminder Hillary spent most of her political career preparing to become president while trump ran on a whim after Obama owned him at that one White House Correspondence dinner

I doubt that was the actual moment but holy poo poo I want to believe it was

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It was cringe worthy how he stomped Jeb! and Liddle Marco Rubio in the primary fight.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I doubt that was the actual moment but holy poo poo I want to believe it was

You look at Trumps face here and tell me that is not the face of a man that wants to burn down Obama legacy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

BexGu posted:

You look at Trumps face here and tell me that is not the face of a man that wants to burn downs Obama legacy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

say what you will about trump, but he strikes me as a wrong motherfucker to gently caress with

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

In that he has money and holds a grudge, yes

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

There it is.

That's the LOL.

Edit: whoops, thought I was in the 'lol everytime you remember trump is pres' thread.

ballistics statistics fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 11, 2017

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
lol remember when some brainwashed D&D dork showed up outta nowhere and posted this disingenuous garbage

zegermans posted:

I think we should all bask in the fact that these two sentence fragments were right next to each other.

Bernie lost because he threw together a campaign in a week and ignored primaries in every state where the black portion of the dem base eclipsed 30%. The idea that slipping a few obvious debate questions changed the minds of 3 million voters is a fallacy that is only believed because it solves the Bernout paradox of "Clinton ran a bad campaign and lost. But she beat Bernie. But Bernie ran a good campaign"

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

VikingSkull posted:

the most brutal ownage ever recorded on live TV was Trump's "because you'd be in jail" snipe

like I'm not a Trump supporter but that poo poo made me lol really hard

something that I heard on NPR shocked me after that. The quote goes

" "It's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of Donald Trump is not in charge of the law in our country"
"yeah because you'd be in jail"

Which calls to the listeners mind the various unseemly activities that Hillary has been involved in and makes it an epic rhetorical own

What NPR had done was seamlessly edit the thing to say

" "It's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of Donald Trump is not in charge. of the law in our country"

With no pause or anything

Which completely and totally changes the meaning of the words, and calls to mind the idea of a zany dictator throwing his political opponents in jail. It was seriously chilling propaganda. It was weird.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this is how to post in dnd. this is how its done

Enhydra lutris posted:

Putin is a Lying Russian Swine [Pig]; he is inscrutable; and is devoid from Birth of Morals; Ethical Understanding; Faith in G-d; or Human Attachment. I hold him in Contempt; hearing his Name causes me to feel Dread; he has f*cked his own Mother; and he will bring Ruination to the World.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Homestar Runner posted:

lol remember when some brainwashed D&D dork showed up outta nowhere and posted this disingenuous garbage

Lol he's CSPAM. Even d&d won't have him

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

canpakes posted:

something that I heard on NPR shocked me after that. The quote goes

" "It's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of Donald Trump is not in charge of the law in our country"

Which calls to the listeners mind the various unseemly activities that Hillary has been involved in and makes it an epic rhetorical own

What NPR had done was seamlessly edit the thing to say

" "It's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of Donald Trump is not in charge. of the law in our country"

With no pause or anything

Which completely and totally changes the meaning of the words, and calls to mind the idea of a zany dictator throwing his political opponents in jail. It was seriously chilling propaganda. It was weird.

I think the biggest takeaway from the election had little to do with the candidates themselves. The election finally laid bare for even the most idealist people in the country that the media is no longer the fourth estate and it is now as hopelessly corrupted as any politician you'll find in DC. Only the most partisan of ideologues now consider the media to be unbiased, and even they recognize that the media that caters to the side they aren't on is biased.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Homestar Runner posted:

Man, Sanders showed up late and unprepared as a protest candidate then pulled 40%

That's great.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it would have been nice if the dnc would have been backing a capable candidate, he would not have had to come in to challenge the lovely one

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

VikingSkull posted:

I think the biggest takeaway from the election had little to do with the candidates themselves. The election finally laid bare for even the most idealist people in the country that the media is no longer the fourth estate and it is now as hopelessly corrupted as any politician you'll find in DC. Only the most partisan of ideologues now consider the media to be unbiased, and even they recognize that the media that caters to the side they aren't on is biased.

I'm sort of with you but what happens when the media sides with the left because of something that isn't really considered controversial, like teaching evolution in schools or the existence of climate change? I think issues like abortion are tough because we're dealing with a moral issue. We simply can't agree on what the definition of murder is. But other issues like the ones I first mentioned shouldn't really be up for debate in this day and age.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Hillary Clinton is back, and she's raw as gently caress.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Amarcarts posted:

I'm sort of with you but what happens when the media sides with the left because of something that isn't really considered controversial, like teaching evolution in schools or the existence of climate change? I think issues like abortion are tough because we're dealing with a moral issue. We simply can't agree on what the definition of murder is. But other issues like the ones I first mentioned shouldn't really be up for debate in this day and age.

If thw truth is really on their side, maybe they shouldn't transparently mislead and manipulate

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amarcarts posted:

They purposely edited the actual audio. Probably hunched over an audio booth. There are a million examples of similar things this election. Like when Hillary Clinton lost consciousness at the memorial event CNNs headline was something about "Hillary stumbles."

It's about the language that is used t to completely change the meaning of things and virtually completely fabricate events, frame things in a deliberately dishonest way etc. Nobody is saying that equal time should be given to both sides of cultural wedge issues or whatever you're saying.

canpakes fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 11, 2017

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It doesn't matter what's true lol it only matters what you can accomplish

Republicans suck but dammit know what they're after and how they're gonna get it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

canpakes posted:

They purposely edited the actual audio. Probably hunched over an audio booth. There are a million examples of similar things this election. Like when Hillary Clinton lost consciousness at the memorial event CNNs headline was something about "Hillary stumbles."

This wouldn't have been covered at all if not for a private citizen catching it in film, her entire entourage surrounded her to try to hide it as well to lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

they take the poo poo people who actually know anything at all say and gently caress it up so badly that mouthbreathers talking about how dinosaurs were too big to fit on Noah's ark start sounding like an equally credible counternarrative, that's 'what happens'

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

they take the poo poo people who actually know anything at all say and gently caress it up so badly that mouthbreathers talking about how dinosaurs were too big to fit on Noah's ark start sounding like an equally credible counternarrative, that's 'what happens'

Also most reporters are profoundly ignorant of basic science

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

canpakes posted:

It's about the language that is used t to completely change the meaning of things and virtually completely fabricate events, frame things in a deliberately dishonest way etc. Nobody is saying that equal time should be given to both sides of cultural wedge issues or whatever you're saying.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Almost everyone is profoundly ignorant of basic science

"Is the earth round?" Gets about 20pct "no" no matter where and when it's asked

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Amarcarts posted:

No one has an issue with the media reporting on facts that the left have on their side. The problem is when they obfuscate truth in favor of a political agenda, or even worse simply don't report things that are potentially damaging to whatever side they cater too. This isn't a left only issue, Fox News and similar outlets do it for the right.

When I was a kid I could watch Peter Jennings or people like him report the news. That's all it was, the news. No one gave a poo poo what he personally thought about the issues because it wasn't his job to craft a narrative, it was his job to be an outlet for information. Over the past twenty years information has become entertainment, and none of the main sources of journalism seem to remember why they were important. It's pundits and talking heads all the way down now, but never before has it become this obvious to people who wouldn't normally pay attention.

Look at CNN and MH370. They had wall to wall coverage about a plane crash, with any and all theory about what happened, when the only facts that actually mattered to anyone was a plane was flying over the ocean and then disappeared.

Another example is MSNBC and CNN pushing a narrative that the Antifa protests over Milo may have been a right wing false flag. Normal people don't know who Antifa is, but to people who do it was one of the most ridiculous things they could have said.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Unbiased objective fact based reporting is not only dead but it's rotting corpse has been dug up, fondled, desecrated and reburied. #It'sstillherturn2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Commercial news is not in the business of 'reporting facts', or informing the audience, or anything. Nobody at MSNBC gets paid based on how well-informed a global citizen they make their average viewer; they're entertainment there to get eyeballs, and what gets attention is conflict and confusion. There's actual real scientific controversies going on right now calling into question whether the research that gets treated with the most credibility is the best or merely that handled by those who know how to game the system but you're never going to hear anything about journal impact factor on CNN because it's a bunch of boring academics slapfighting and there's no broad characters or narrative tension. There's crazy research breakthroughs going on all the time but you state a fact and show a neat sciency picture if you can and it's over.

Some troglodyte yelling about the Scopes monkey trial, though, that's a fun story with a clearly digested plot arc they're confident in their ability to tell Joe Sixpack between commercial breaks, and while they're totally on the side of Science that that dude's a goofy throwback, the net effect of a bunch of smarmy well-groomed media pricks loving up basic factual points to beat on some poor bible-thumper and rebroadcasting snippets of his paranoid ranting is to convince a load of people who never really had cause to give the issue much thought that evolution a dumb lie the Man is telling to suppress the underdog truth. That guy keeps getting ratings so people start covering him in detail and bringing him on for interviews, some bottom-feeders looking to outflank the competition start 'covering the controversy' to pander to the other market, and the foundation of modern medicine is forevermore an unsettled issue to the people who vote on federal science funding.

It doesn't matter what 'side' commercial media ostensibly takes, it is always allied against truth and understanding, it will always introduce vagueness into the straightforward and make irreconcilable eternal battles of trivial disputes. If any issue is resolved, anything is known for certain, that's money out of their pockets. They cannot be used for good.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 11, 2017

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Accretionist posted:

That's hosed up.

I have never gloated harder in my life then I did over the fact that I refused this condescendingly "magnanimous" deal and was vindicated

then got the bonus lols watching the Hilldog toxxers writhe and flail trying to squirm out of their toxxes when the tables were so hilariously, gloriously reversed

lmao

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I miss the liberal tears thread, that poo poo was loving golden too

we'd get the occasional idiot that wandered in to debate and they had no idea it was just a bunch of bridge trolls, alas it was too beautiful for this world (and too many people started serious posting in it anyway)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You're right, I think. And like an inverted scientific method, where you get closer to the truth through fact checkin and gathering information, you wind up with an ever regressing stream of retarded nonsense like carbon dating being bullshit because fossils can only be 6000 years old.

One time I listened to a guy at a bus stop talk for over 20 minutes about how the loch ness monster was a plesiosaur and how the Roman empire used velociraptor hides for their shields. :hist101: I wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion he was a creationist dupe except a) he mentioned the time differential between the bible and science and b) his insistence that Buddhism is a religion based on idolatry, because golden buddhas, duh.

VikingSkull posted:

I miss the liberal tears thread, that poo poo was loving golden too

we'd get the occasional idiot that wandered in to debate and they had no idea it was just a bunch of bridge trolls, alas it was too beautiful for this world (and too many people started serious posting in it anyway)
That was a good thread and I don't regret anything I posted there. At least during sobriety.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

cda posted:

Hillary Clinton is back, and she's raw as gently caress.

The Internet Is Losing It's Mind Over Hillary's Fierce New Look.

It's a pantsuit

YAASS

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I have never gloated harder in my life then I did over the fact that I refused this condescendingly "magnanimous" deal and was vindicated

then got the bonus lols watching the Hilldog toxxers writhe and flail trying to squirm out of their toxxes when the tables were so hilariously, gloriously reversed

lmao

i present a hero, ladies and gentlemen

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bernie literally predicts the future. Way to give up and let Hillary get the nomination you spineless cowards.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

ChesterJT posted:

I was neither for or against trump but I do enjoy comedy and he's bringing that in spades so I'm enjoying my time in the Trump presidency so far.

gently caress you : toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Hillary's disaster of a campaign was possibly the most hilarious pop culture event of the last decade

• Locked thread