Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

When the worthless cop played by Fred Willard sees Joseph just scarring the hell out of the asphalt at an intersection peeling out in circles like a moron:

*moment of judgement...
"Fancy riding, Tex!"
*thumbs up, drives away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Soak in your lies kidney boy!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I was watching S10 (I think) last night, the one where Peggy unknowingly befriends what I believe is supposed to be someone that's trans. (The episode uses a fairly dated method of presenting the character, but this was what, 1999?)

The y2k episode is in or near season 4 if I remember right so s10 probably wasn't 1999.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bobby meets a tranny at the plastic surgery clinic when Hank breaks his nose in season 13 and calls him "shim"

there's a few transphobic jokes in the show

I forget which episode but Hank makes a disparaging comment about a clerk at some business who is "in-between genders"

in "Hank's Choice" when someone tells Hank to get a hypoallergenic dog like a poodle hank says "a poodle? why not just go all the way and get me a sex-change operation"

I used to love this show but our attitudes have changed so much over the past 15 years

it's too problematic to watch now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Bobby meets a tranny at the plastic surgery clinic when Hank breaks his nose in season 13 and calls him "shim"

there's a few transphobic jokes in the show

I forget which episode but Hank makes a disparaging comment about a clerk at some business who is "in-between genders"

in "Hank's Choice" when someone tells Hank to get a hypoallergenic dog like a poodle hank says "a poodle? why not just go all the way and get me a sex-change operation"

I used to love this show but our attitudes have changed so much over the past 15 years

Cant tell if this is a serious post or not. :confused:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's a show about a blue collar family from Texas. What would you expect.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
You can tell what episodes Mike Judge was heavily involved in based on how angry Hank is at teens

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
they're a blue collar Texas family but Mike Judge said they had to tone down the racism and homophobia otherwise it would be unpleasant

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

they're a blue collar Texas family but Mike Judge said they had to tone down the racism and homophobia otherwise it would be unpleasant

I agree buddha sack was pretty racist towards Hank.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

HAT FETISH posted:

Did they do these for any other episodes or is this a one-off thing?

No, it was just the one episode when Bill impersonated his ex-wife, Lenore.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

That episode mentioned a bank teller who was "between genders," who was drawn as a mannish, square-jawed transwoman.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"I am the Mac Daddy of Heimlich County."

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah usually when they talk about family values it means no trans people as opposed to no trans jokes

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
"No self respecting bus company would let me on with this haircut"

Also another "gently caress you Peggy Hill" scene, she spends probably 100 or so dollars buying ice cream from megalo mart or various candy to practice on and when she guesses it right once she proclaims "Free at last, free at last". She is totally going to
be 300 pounds if they had aged them.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress you Peggy Hill.

She got Luanne fired from her job (by quitting on her behalf) and got her to meet the creepy pig renderer guy.

Also

"I am so busy succeeding to keep track of all my ideas so I keep them all in a file". It's alright when she thinks she's worthwhile when she's alone...but when she's ruining the lives of others drat it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's not Peggy's fault Luann put a spoon in the fork holder

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Peggy is the self righteous know-it-all family member everyone has, only tuned pitch-perfect to suburban Texas.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

♫ BEV BEV BEVERLY HILLS COP....BEV BEV BEVERLY HILLS COP...AXEL FOLEY GONNA FIND THOSE DRUGS ♫

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCTMNPiaO2I

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I can't believe I forgot about this King of the Hill Shockwave mini-golf game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpc8ePj4Iw0

I wasted so many hours in the eighth grade playing that game. Too bad I can't find a workable version. Nostalgia hits deep, man.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That person is TERRIBLE at KOTH mini golf!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Peggy is a lazy underacheiver with a heavily inflated opinion of herself. She exaggerates her minor accomplishments and skills and is blind to her many failures.

She considers herself a great educator despite only having a 2-year degree and being only a substitute teacher. One of the best examples of this was when she was at the used bookstore.

"Psychology! Sociology! Chemistrolo... oh, Chemistry." *tosses book away*

She's happy to half educate herself on a topic, but has no ambition to follow through or put in any serious work to master anything. She likes "-ologies" because there is no lab work, only sitting and reading. She's the opposite of Hank, in that he has intense focus and tends to be extremely competent in whatever he does, but never makes a big deal of it.

Deep down, she knows all this, which is why even minor problems and setbacks send her running away in tears. She is very insecure and masks it with bravado so often that she sometimes even believes it herself.

It's also why she hates Bill so much. She knows subconsciously that she is never more than a few failures away from becoming him.

She's a great character because she is the perfect depiction of that sort of person, and everyone either knows or has met someone just like her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing is, Hank is also aware of all of this and he doesn't care. He loves Peggy anyway.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It was kind of odd actually that she managed to successfully double-con the conman in that one episode. Seems a bit above her competence.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

It was kind of odd actually that she managed to successfully double-con the conman in that one episode. Seems a bit above her competence.

Even the blind squirrel can find a nut.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

muscles like this! posted:

The thing is, Hank is also aware of all of this and he doesn't care. He loves Peggy anyway.

Because Peggy's just like the Dad that never loved him enough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sassassin posted:

no that's buck strickland

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

no that's buck strickland

Most of the time he doesn't seem to see through Buck's bluster like he does Peggy and Cotton.

Buck's the father he never had (runs a successful business, taught Hank everything he knows about tank-wiping), Cotton is the father he did have, Peggy is Cotton but loves him.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Lol you suck. King of the Hill is great. Sorry it doesn't fit in your weird rear end loving safe space.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Please, Mr. Hill, loud is not allowed.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I've never heard a single person IRL (or even online now that I think about it) talk poo poo about king of the hill (outside of the general nitpicking about certain characters by fans of the show) so I'm kinda shocked by some of the comments here claiming that others they know hate KotH and trash it all the time. What's to hate? It's the most realistic portrayal of a (Texas) suburban community that I've ever seen, with possibly the best character development of any televised sitcom or cartoon ever. The show is mostly brilliant, and any lame episodes are few and far between, and even those less than par episodes are still better than 95% of the crap we're fed daily. I just don't get any possible hatred at all.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I agree, don't marry anyone who doesn't like King of the Hill.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

sassassin posted:

Hank is a loving weirdo. Even if his dad did love him he would still need Peg a Leg.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

...and the pitch! posted:

Hank is a loving weirdo. Even if his dad did love him he would still need Peg a Leg.

I recently saw the episode where Hank calls AAA and it's the most perfect encapsulation of his character

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

JGdmn posted:

I agree, don't marry anyone who doesn't like King of the Hill.

Words to live by right here

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"Yes, Hank. Of course he is"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

...and the pitch! posted:

He's a textbook control freak. He wouldn't be happy without someone to control.

They work because Peggy needs controlling. On her own, she'd fall for the first Nigerian e-mail scam to come her way, then fly off to Africa and get killed by some scammer when she demands her money back.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only bad thing about king of the hill aside from the weird seasons that have liberal strawmen antagonists is that trying to find specific clips just brings up youtube poop a lot of the time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
My American roommate asked me to turn off an episode of king of the hill after trump won. Said it reminded him too much of actual suburban Texans.

I just watched the softball episode with the ace of diamonds. Hank is such a jackass in that episode. He should've kicked his own rear end.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
So far I think John Redcorn is the only character Hank hesitated at kicking someone's rear end: "I mean it, I will" *John Redcorn's hair blows in the wind, smiling smugly*

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Archaic posted:

So far I think John Redcorn is the only character Hank hesitated at kicking someone's rear end: "I mean it, I will" *John Redcorn's hair blows in the wind, smiling smugly*

hank's been scared of other people multiple times if you count that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICRMjhUHEoE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hes probably scared of batman