Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

After dying an embarrassing number of times to both the Crystal Sage and the Deacons of the Deep, I found the Abyss Watchers strangely easy to whip to death. Pontiff Sulyvahn is going to be interesting.

My favourite thing about using whips is all of the invaders who try to parry me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

veni veni veni posted:

Oh god friede is kicking my rear end. I can't even keep track of her in the 3rd phase she's like faster than an Bloodborne boss and I'm twice as slow.

Strunlock her.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Oh god friede is kicking my rear end. I can't even keep track of her in the 3rd phase she's like faster than an Bloodborne boss and I'm twice as slow.

Welcome to hell

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

The crow claws actually stunlock the poo poo out of her :v: at +9 and 40 dex I could sometimes combo through half her health bar easy in her first phase, and they chew through both bosses in the second phase pretty good too.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The one thing that got me was the guy who SL1's all the bosses with no rolling/parrying/etc, just loving thumps his controller down on the desk after he beats Friede. The man who thought Midir "was't that bad" and made Lothric look like a loving joke.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

basalt posted:

After dying an embarrassing number of times to both the Crystal Sage and the Deacons of the Deep, I found the Abyss Watchers strangely easy to whip to death. Pontiff Sulyvahn is going to be interesting.

My favourite thing about using whips is all of the invaders who try to parry me.

Whip should be decent against Pontiff as long as you are just abusing the rolling attack.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

School Nickname posted:

The one thing that got me was the guy who SL1's all the bosses with no rolling/parrying/etc, just loving thumps his controller down on the desk after he beats Friede. The man who thought Midir "was't that bad" and made Lothric look like a loving joke.

Midir was kind of fun to me, you just really have to learn how he works, then it's just a matter of time and hoping he doesn't use his laser spam.

Friede on the other hand is in the Orphan school of boss fights: she wants you dead, badly. Great fight but she is totally out to get you.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

crow claws are funny as hell with the rapid fire build

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

RatHat posted:

So there's a new game by the Lords of the Fallen guys coming out next month, and it's Sci-fi themed.

The multiplier on souls gain if you don't rest, and putting a time limit on your bloodstain both sound like horrible ideas.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gimbal lock posted:

The multiplier on souls gain if you don't rest, and putting a time limit on your bloodstain both sound like horrible ideas.

These were both in LotF. It actually works fairly OK because it's balanced differently, and you can "bank" collected and unspent XP at rest points to stop it from being lost on death.

What worries me more is it looks like the dodge roll still sucks rear end, and they'll probably still have tons of focus on using special attacks and abilities rather than them being an alternative strategy like in a proper Souls game.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I did not realize this game was made by the Lords of the Fallen devs. All of my interest in it has immediately evaporated.
I also feel the need to defend Lords of the Fallen, and I only thought it was okay. However it did have some interesting ideas and executed a lot of things quite well. I usually make my first NG souls run with a two hand weapon and light armor and it handled slower combat fine.

There's plenty of negatives but it's far from the incompetent shovelware image it gets. A second game could be good if they learned anything from Lords of the Fallen and its reception. Considering they moved away from medieval fantasy to basically 2018 is a good sign, and the dev video mentioned they kept the neat boss drop system.

I'll be a money-hating idiot and buy it on launch day anyway, so I hope it will be fun. There's room in the action RPG genre for some non-flagship stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is dreg heap part of the new dlc or the first one?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Is dreg heap part of the new dlc or the first one?

the second one. you can access it from the first dlc after youre done with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the first one had 4 bosses? Just the 2? I feel like I picked it pretty clean. I totally thought I was still playing the first dlc until I realized how much it looked like promo shots of ringed city.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
2nd dlc has 4, 1st dlc has 2.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I thought the first one had 4 bosses? Just the 2? I feel like I picked it pretty clean. I totally thought I was still playing the first dlc until I realized how much it looked like promo shots of ringed city.

I mean, one boss has 3 phases, that's kind of like 3 separate bosses :v:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Vilhelm was about as rough as a red-eye lothric knight in the dragon barracks tbqh.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Vilhelm was about as rough as a red-eye lothric knight in the dragon barracks tbqh.

Nah. They don't crouch down to heal after you stomp their face in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vilhelm gave me a harder time than any Npc/hunter in the series I think. Probably would have been easier if I had an upgraded great sword at the time. He'd kill me in one hit. Eventually just staggered him enough to kill him.

His armor is my fave so I have forgiven him now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

His armor is pretty great. I love the helmet because so many of the helmet in this game are huge, his is like 1/2 the size of something like the Lothric Knight Helmet. The poncho is pretty cool too, but it does that thing that a lot of Souls armor does and really sticks out around the hips so it looks kinda weird with a lot of boots. Still, I always pick up the armor on every new playthrough once I get to the Cleansing Chapel because at that point in the game it's probably the coolest armor you can get :3:

e: also it provides pretty good defense and poise for its weight, really

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It just gives me major Don Bluth vibes. I feel like that has to have been the inspiration.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I mean a helmet's gotta be able to wrap around your head with a little bit of room to spare for padding and suspension, Vilhelm's is so small it actually seems to heavily shrink your head

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So can anyone explain what the hell happened here?

Got summoned as a Spear, but the boss room is empty and Argo isn't dying. Had this happen before, means the host disconnected during the loading process. So I'm witing to get sent home until-

...I get sucked out of the boss room and spat outside in a backstab. I didn't screenshot until afterwards, but the host somehow backstabbed me from outside the boss and that brought me outside where I was still acting under the boss restrictions. So that's confusing as hell, but then the host runs into the boss room and backstabs me from 50 feet away again, sucking me back into the room.

From there the fight proceeded as normal against an extremely laggy but seemingly normal host. I killed them and lost connection right as they died so I just got an error message in the end. Not sure what the gently caress went wrong for all of that nonsense to occur.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SLOSifl posted:

I also feel the need to defend Lords of the Fallen,

It's a bad game. Every aspect of it serves to only bring the player frustration.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I mean a helmet's gotta be able to wrap around your head with a little bit of room to spare for padding and suspension, Vilhelm's is so small it actually seems to heavily shrink your head
I agree, it's not very realistic :v: But I also don't like it when some helmets (like the Brass Helm for instance) make you look like an anime character with an overproportioned head. Also, Vilhelm's armor mixes really well with a lot of the armors in the game!

Internet Kraken posted:

Not sure what the gently caress went wrong for all of that nonsense to occur.
Sounds like Dark Souls PvP to me! I still remember being backstabbed across the entire length of the map in the Undead Crypt in DS2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

His armor is pretty great. I love the helmet because so many of the helmet in this game are huge, his is like 1/2 the size of something like the Lothric Knight Helmet. The poncho is pretty cool too, but it does that thing that a lot of Souls armor does and really sticks out around the hips so it looks kinda weird with a lot of boots. Still, I always pick up the armor on every new playthrough once I get to the Cleansing Chapel because at that point in the game it's probably the coolest armor you can get :3:

e: also it provides pretty good defense and poise for its weight, really

They did some really cool stuff with the DLC armor. Vilhelm's armor is really well done and believable, and Lapp's armor is legit based on real jousting armor. It's also cool in that the had piece is actually connected to your chest if you wear the right armor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

veni veni veni posted:

Vilhelm gave me a harder time than any Npc/hunter in the series I think. Probably would have been easier if I had an upgraded great sword at the time. He'd kill me in one hit. Eventually just staggered him enough to kill him.

Vilhelm saved my life because I had been using a +9 chaos thrall axe on my pyro build and not only was that not a great idea to begin with, but apparently the scaling was nerfed(why for this weapon, of all things) so chaos thrall axe never gets more than C scaling in faith/int.

Same goes for the onyx blade, of course, and it's split damage as all hell, but the corvid knights were kicking my rear end all over since with my thrall axe I was doing less than 100 damage. Onyx blade with a few upgrades was instead doing a bit over 300 damage to them and turned them from "complete pain in the rear end to fight" to "managable enemies". Also my character looks much better now.

Coincidentally, it's real nice to be a pyromancer with strong Chaos Bed Vestiges against part 2 Friede, who you can just kite around and kill for free, and part 3 which has a lot of openings you can shoot her during.

Orv
May 4, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a bad game. Every aspect of it serves to only bring the player frustration.

That's a really dumb thing to say about almost anything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

From there the fight proceeded as normal against an extremely laggy but seemingly normal host. I killed them and lost connection right as they died so I just got an error message in the end. Not sure what the gently caress went wrong for all of that nonsense to occur.

Backstabs work by teleporting the target to the stab after a client announces "I backstabbed you while standing at coordinates X Y Z". No sanity check is performed, it just happens. It was just lag.

I can basically do this on command if I edit the positioning code to go "yeah he's in front of you and his back is turned", backstab you to force your client to change its position, then turn it off.

This is quite useful if, say, someone has infinite HP. Fly over a bottomless pit and teleport them to a death fall if they don't realize quick enough what you're doing.

...though it is easier to just break their game state, but that has a risk of collateral damage if you do it wrong.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 11, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Now I remember what Vilhelm reminds me of and why I like it so much. One of my favorite books as a kid.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone explain to me why Dancer is such a garbage fight.

Like, I love 1-on-1 fights. Pontiff, Nameless King, even Friede. There's just something about the Dancer fight that feels awful and I can't put my finger on it. :whitewater:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's weird that your examples of good one on one fights, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, are actually not one on one, and then nameless King, which is a garbage boss fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Someone explain to me why Dancer is such a garbage fight.

Like, I love 1-on-1 fights. Pontiff, Nameless King, even Friede. There's just something about the Dancer fight that feels awful and I can't put my finger on it. :whitewater:

Extremely inconsistent damage on her attacks. Some of her attacks hurt way more than the others for no apparent reason. Its not like these are big slow hits, these are attacks about the same speed as her others. There's no indication that they'd hurt more visually or otherwise. There's a massive gulf in terms of damage between her weakest and strongest attacks. It just feels weird to have the boss alternate between lightly scratching you and other teams chopping off 3/4 of your health in one swing.

That's the main thing that irritates me about her. There's other poorly designed elements of her fight as well though. It looks really stupid when she pokes you straight through the huge pillars in the arena. And of course, one can never forget her infamously terrible grab hitbox.

veni veni veni posted:

It's weird that your examples of good one on one fights, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, are actually not one on one, and then nameless King, which is a garbage boss fight.

Two of Friede's phases are one on one though. Pontiff's second phase isn't really a 2 man fight either as the phantom mimics his moves. Its more like having his attacks doubled rather than having two foes with separates moves to contend with.

Also I find nothing wrong with Nameless King himself. Its King of Storms that is one of the worst designed fights in the whole series.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 11, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the Dancer fight but she is a prime example of Dark Souls 3's problem with giving enemies five million hit combos that you can't possibly block all of without getting staggered halfway through. Her slow spinning move LOOKS cool but having to dodge every hit of it or face pretty much certain death kinda sucks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

veni veni veni posted:

nameless king owns though
the dragon part is fairly easy but super fun and then the main part is just kind of, a great fight

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have never heard anyone describe King of Storms as fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Definetly my least favorite boss from the main game. It's the only one I consciously skipped on this run. The camera is terrible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
How so? You lock on to him and then you're able to see every move that he does. It lets you see his tell when he's doing the flyby attack, etc. I've never had any issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Like Kraken mentions, 2 of Friede's phases (and the main, difficult one) is one on one, Pontiff's shadow just does the same moves in advance (which I think is actually a masterstroke of a gimmick for a 1-on-1 fight, it makes parrying him feel so good) and Nameless King is a fantastic fight. I mean, the first phase sucks but doesn't really take long and I have no idea why anyone would think the second phase is garbage :iiam:

Internet Kraken posted:

Extremely inconsistent damage on her attacks. Some of her attacks hurt way more than the others for no apparent reason. Its not like these are big slow hits, these are attacks about the same speed as her others. There's no indication that they'd hurt more visually or otherwise. There's a massive gulf in terms of damage between her weakest and strongest attacks. It just feels weird to have the boss alternate between lightly scratching you and other teams chopping off 3/4 of your health in one swing.

That's the main thing that irritates me about her. There's other poorly designed elements of her fight as well though. It looks really stupid when she pokes you straight through the huge pillars in the arena. And of course, one can never forget her infamously terrible grab hitbox.

I had never even thought about that, you have a really good point! :aaa: I think in addition to the stuff you mention, there's also something annoying about the way she delays her swings and how floppy they are that make the entire fight feel.... "loose"? I don't know how to describe it. Coupled with the fact that some of her combos go on for something like 12 hits, it makes the fight feel more random than the typical monsters and bosses in the game (mind you, I'm not saying it's actually random).