Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

MikeJF posted:

Wow, Thor 3 looks... fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU

There's nothing like some neon pink 1980s logo stylings to tickle me.

I hated the first 2 Thor movies but this looks fun as hell, everyone in it looks like they're having a blast, and I genuinely laughed at the "He's a friend from work!" line (Hemsworth has underrated comedic skills).

I'm in .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vegetable posted:

I’m not the only one hearing it right, that music is insanely Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer

It's the Led Zeppelin original of Immigrant Song, is why.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

davidspackage posted:

I for some reason thought I was hearing the Wonder Woman theme. Which would be weird for a Marvel trailer.

It's going to take time to recover from Thor's dark roots being exposed but holy hel that looks like as much fun as I was expecting from the moment I heard Thor-Hulk buddy movie.

Also thought Cosmic Goldblum was going to be in Guardians 2. I'm sold.

He probably will be, he's the Collector's "brother" after all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vegetable posted:

I’m not the only one hearing it right, that music is insanely Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer

are you a young person?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Music fact: Sometimes the songs you think of as being "from" your favourite movies and trailers actually come from albums and singles dating back much earlier.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Even though its technically the same song the trailers couldn't be more different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vintersorg posted:

are you a young person?

:laffo:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pussy Quipped posted:

Even though its technically the same song the trailers couldn't be more different.

Yeah this trailer is still the best trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah this trailer is still the best trailer.

It really was an excellent trailer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It really was an excellent trailer.

Movie was decent, too. Sucks that it won't get a proper follow up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bruteman posted:

Going for the GotG vibe eh?

I didn't care for the first two Thor movies but I like Hemsworth as Thor - his bit at the end of the trailer got a laugh out of me.

Marvel hired Taika Waititi, who makes comedies to direct the film. It was always going to have a somewhat comedic side to it. Give his other films a look as well, if you haven't already - particularly Boy, What We Do in the Shadows and The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. It should give you an idea of the kind of humour you're likely to get.

Jedit posted:

It's the Led Zeppelin original of Immigrant Song, is why.

Which is full of references to Norse mythology, like a certain Marvel property - Spider-Man, I think.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who came first Jimmy Page or Thor?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

Who came first Jimmy Page or Thor?

Blind Lemon Jefferson.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pussy Quipped posted:

it's so depressing that we're getting another Lisbeth Salander movie and it's not going to be Fincher/Mara/Craig again.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So is Goldblum playing Mojo? I dig it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was a bit nervous with Taika Waititi directing it because I love his movies but hate it when big blockbuster movies are given to indie directors and it really shows their shortcomings with a bigger budget, but this looks fun. I also hated the last two Thor movies but this actually looks interesting and funny. Definitely picking up GotG vibes, at least in the way that they have the characters be a bit more jokey with their surroundings, which definitely plays into Waititi's talents. Glad to see that he is bringing his humour into it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
"Is that Cate Blanchett? Wait a second, Goldblum is in this? AND KARL URBAN, TOO?!"

I had no idea this movie was coming, and now I can't wait to see it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Madkal posted:

I was a bit nervous with Taika Waititi directing it because I love his movies but hate it when big blockbuster movies are given to indie directors and it really shows their shortcomings with a bigger budget, but this looks fun. I also hated the last two Thor movies but this actually looks interesting and funny. Definitely picking up GotG vibes, at least in the way that they have the characters be a bit more jokey with their surroundings, which definitely plays into Waititi's talents. Glad to see that he is bringing his humour into it.

The color palette is another point of comparison. As at least one person has said or written somewhere, it seems Marvel is letting DC relegate themselves to the "dark and gritty" corner of the market and - if anything - is moving in the opposite direction.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Vagabundo posted:

Marvel hired Taika Waititi, who makes comedies to direct the film. It was always going to have a somewhat comedic side to it. Give his other films a look as well, if you haven't already - particularly Boy, What We Do in the Shadows and The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. It should give you an idea of the kind of humour you're likely to get.

Which is full of references to Norse mythology, like a certain Marvel property - Spider-Man, I think.

I had never heard of Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople but I did see all the praise about What We Do in the Shadows - it's that guy? Thanks for the info, hopefully I can check one of these out soon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bruteman posted:

I had never heard of Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople but I did see all the praise about What We Do in the Shadows - it's that guy? Thanks for the info, hopefully I can check one of these out soon.

What We Do In The Shadows is ridiculously funny.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wizchine posted:

The color palette is another point of comparison. As at least one person has said or written somewhere, it seems Marvel is letting DC relegate themselves to the "dark and gritty" corner of the market and - if anything - is moving in the opposite direction.

Both studios color grade their movies for certain looks, moods, and effects. Civil War is very grey, Doctor Strange is sometimes drab and sometimes really colorful, same with DC stuff.

Also this Thor trailer is pretty great and I appreciate some of the stylized stuff they are doing.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 10, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bruteman posted:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is so charmingly awesome that I would recommend everyone to see it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I definitely concur, watch What We Do in The Shadows, and immediately follow it up with Hunt for the Wilderpeople. He's on track to becoming one of my favorite directors out there, depending on how the new Thor does.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is pretty similar in plot to Up, but it's way funnier. Whole thing works like a joke machine -- it just pumps jokes at you relentlessly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The graffiti is a reference to Wilderpeople.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I hated the first 2 Thor movies but this looks fun as hell, everyone in it looks like they're having a blast, and I genuinely laughed at the "He's a friend from work!" line (Hemsworth has underrated comedic skills).

I'm in .

It's such a Taika Waititi line too. I'm half expecting Rhys Darby to have a cameo somewhere.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Taiki is wonderful. He also wrote the original draft of Moana, but maintains that the only thing they kept was "EXT. OCEAN – DAY."

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Madkal posted:

I was a bit nervous with Taika Waititi directing it because I love his movies but hate it when big blockbuster movies are given to indie directors and it really shows their shortcomings with a bigger budget, but this looks fun.

Not sure how because all the action stuff is handled by the second unit and the special effects are obviously done by the CG studios. These types of directors are brought in for the character and humour stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

(Hemsworth has underrated comedic skills).

He's easily the funniest of the Avengers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm reminded of the mid-credits scene from Dr. Strange where he just needs his eyes and brows to be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWD-7KKDmrY

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hemsworth is pretty and funny and it's a shame the Thor movies have been so utterly mediocre

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vagabundo posted:

My sister lived in New Zealand for a year and brought me back a copy of Boy. Never watched it, because it looked like dumb regional comedy. Are you saying it's good?

(She also brought me a copy of The Hobbit: An Illustrated Guide signed by WETA boss Sir Richard Taylor and Daniel Falconer and Paul Tobin, who designed their King Kong. That was nice.)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

My sister lived in New Zealand for a year and brought me back a copy of Boy. Never watched it, because it looked like dumb regional comedy. Are you saying it's good?

It's very good. I suggest you watch it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Hemsworth is pretty and funny and it's a shame the Thor movies have been so utterly mediocre

When I think back to either movie, it really drops in entertainment when he goes to Earth. Just have the whole movie be cosmic space nonsense and I'll probably be happy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

davidspackage posted:

When I think back to either movie, it really drops in entertainment when he goes to Earth. Just have the whole movie be cosmic space nonsense and I'll probably be happy.

I dunno, I think the scenes with Thor, Loki and Dr Strange slumming around NY city playing "Where's Waldo Wodin Odin?" could be fun. Especially since Dr S seems somewhat attached to the city and Loki 911'ed it last time he was in town.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jedit posted:

Yes, you egg.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Zzulu posted:

thought the Thor movies were the best of all except Iron man 1

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

New Atomic Blonde trailer that I think spoils a bit too many action moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIUube1pSC0

Looks fun though.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Looks fun though.

That's the best trailer I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

Looks fun though.

Considering who the director is, that's maybe a tenth if that of the action beats.

• Locked thread