Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I am once again in a depressive rut where I want to play video games but I can't make myself play video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I am once again in a depressive rut where I want to play video games but I can't make myself play video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You could watch other people play video games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That always sucks. I get like that sometimes and usually just turn to Twitch.tv instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Want some LP recs or something?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You could watch other people play video games.

Oh, I have been.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Want some LP recs or something?

Sure, if you've got 'em.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The telltale batman lp that the super best friends are doing is really good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sure, if you've got 'em.

let's play majora's mask by the freelance astronauts

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

The telltale batman lp that the super best friends are doing is really good

Never seen any of their stuff, I may check it out.

The White Dragon posted:

let's play majora's mask by the freelance astronauts

I appreciate the idea that I'm some kind of normal person who hasn't watched every single Freelance Astronauts video several times over. :shepface:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sure, if you've got 'em.

Saints Row 2 by Kaubocks and Panzer Skank, aka the funniest LP I've ever seen - it's made me break into giggles multiple times and I love it.

Hitman: Codename 47 - a youtube LP, but a pretty decent one. I've been using it to learn more about the jankiest game in Hitman's history.

And so on and so forth.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

reminder to buy dqh2 and play with me on the twenty fifth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wym9Vom-kiQ

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Saints Row 2 by Kaubocks and Panzer Skank, aka the funniest LP I've ever seen - it's made me break into giggles multiple times and I love it.

I've seen this one before, but it's definitely real good. May be time for a rewatch.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hitman: Codename 47 - a youtube LP, but a pretty decent one. I've been using it to learn more about the jankiest game in Hitman's history.

Starting on this one now... interesting to see the older Hitmans, I've only ever played a couple missions of Absolution (which wasn't great) and a ton of the 2016 one (which you already know is fantastic).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I've been playing a lot of Downwell recently. It's really good!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also, uh, this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z33Mjdg7BBY

Cause a game about the US Army killing Russians is what we need right now
Sniper:GW was always tonedeaf about everything, it's basically clumsily copying CoD's narrative but with even less awareness about the subject matter. It comes from that one successful Polish studio that we don't talk about.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I appreciate the idea that I'm some kind of normal person who hasn't watched every single Freelance Astronauts video several times over. :shepface:

The Men Drinkin' Coffee are my comedy LP troupe of choice, they have a somewhat inconsistent upload schedule but I find their material to be consistently entertaining. They just recently finished up a Watch_Dogs_2 LP and it looks like they're working on Resident Evil 7 right now.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Instead of adding Duke Nukem the Bulletstorm remaster could've added separate settings for horizontal/vertical aiming sensitivity and a way to turn off acceleration. The latter is on by default and for the former one of them is higher than the other so aiming is awful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

reminder to buy dqh2 and play with me on the twenty fifth

I will play it some day but not any time soon. I hope you enjoy playing as torneko, aka one of the best dragon quest characters

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am so unreasonably enraged at the way this guy says 'jaguar'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am so unreasonably enraged at the way this guy says 'jaguar'

:v:

I was watching RuPaul's drag race earlier and he pronounced gif wrong so I know how you feel.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 11, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I read some of jim sterling's 2/10 review of yooka laylee since I think yooka laylee is coming out today and I'm excited for it and I wanted to see what he didn't like about it and drat, a lot of his complaints are things that I am just fine with and didn't see as complaint at all. It just sounds like he's not a fan of collectathon platformers in general but there were several times in his review I was just like "wait why is this a bad thing" or "but this wasn't an issue with banjo kazooie"

Jim Sterling posted:

It’s often hard to know where you’re going to land while jumping in a 3D space and old school level design couldn’t deal with it, with moving platforms and tricky chasms that simply refused to account for the shift in player perspective. From Mario 64 to Crash Bandicoot, there were plenty of control issues as well. Subtlety of movement wasn’t a strong suit of early 3D mascot platforms, which made navigating narrow ledges a pain.

However, I powered through to at least see all the worlds on offer, a task rendered difficult only by the horrendous hub world design that makes the simple act of finding levels difficult due to obscure, sometimes bizarre placement. I don’t think I’ve seen a hub world so poorly executed before – it’s almost like they wanted it to feel like a Metroidvania map with its shortcuts and intertwining corridors, but it’s just a big steaming mess.

Combat is brainless, consisting of tapping a single button while enemies walk thoughtlessly into your attacks. Sometimes you’ll not connect with an attack and take damage just because of some reasons. Yooka-Laylee can be quite arbitrary like that. The meat of the game is Banjo-Kazooie remade, which most people were expecting. It is quite literally that. It’s a collect-a-thon in which you travel to “unique” worlds and solve puzzles or uncover secrets to earn enough glorified keys to unlock additional worlds. In this case, the asspull collectibles are Pagies, bits of a magical book that came loose after the tome was stolen by Capital B – an evil capitalist who is a bee, you see.

Additionally, the game is drowning in Quillies, or Quills, or whatever. They’re more contrived bits of magical bullshit you pick up so you can buy new moves from Trowzer the snake (he’s named after a penis). Some of these moves are crucial to acquiring new Pagies, although the game doesn’t always tell you what moves are needed and when. In fact, it might make you navigate intricate and irritating jumping sections to get to your goal… only to find out you don’t have some as-yet unknown power and will have to repeat everything later. Yooka-Laylee loves pulling this snide little stunt on its players.

This is to say nothing of the awful minigames, none of which feel particularly optional since they all award Pagies. There are several “retro” arcade games that couldn’t even be bothered to use new character models to make anything look retro and take the form of piss-poor racing games or shooters.

While regular platforming, puzzles, and minigames ruin your day, you’re also having to deal with the dialog noises because this is a game that assaults the psyche on all possible levels. It was never really funny when Banjo-Kazooie replaced talking with grating grunts and moans, but in Yooka-Laylee it’s a loving nightmare. Unlike The Legend of Zelda, where one or two noises are enough to get the point across, dialog sections in Yooka-Laylee insist that characters bark and wheeze and groan constantly while talking – every syllable needs an atrocious bloody racket. Some of the cacophony can thankfully be skipped, but not all of it. Expect to hear plenty of hacking, snorting, and sneering as characters rattle off droll in-jokes and self-references to the point of saturation. Also, Yooka himself sounds like a total loving pervert every time he “speaks.” It’s actually quite distressing.

The dialog as written is only slightly less painful with terrible jokes that undeservedly throw shade at other games and Laylee’s “witty” quips routinely insulting the looks of any creature that isn’t her, often using derogatory nicknames based on their appearance. She’ll toss out slurs against snakes, shopping carts, clouds, she doesn’t care. Laylee is a complete racist, and as facetious as I’m being here, she really does come off as a hateful, nasty, thoroughly unlikable little bastard. Jokes are often repeated and fall firmly into cringe territory with hamfisted fourth-wall breaks and mockery of modern game design – things that could work in a better game, one that was well designed enough to get away with mocking things, or one that’s at least funny when it does so. Yooka-Laylee is not funny. In fact, as someone who backed it, I can safely say it’s a loving disaster.

like, ok, maybe it's just me, but a lot of it comes off as whining for the sake of whining or whining about things that people were expecting and hoping the game would do such as "be a collectathon where you explore worlds to find stuff." Yeah he's just a game reviewer so I shouldn't care but his whole rant still reads just...overly nitpicky??

idk. games journalism. :shrug:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

FirstAidKite posted:

I read some of jim sterling's 2/10 review of yooka laylee since I think yooka laylee is coming out today and I'm excited for it and I wanted to see what he didn't like about it and drat, a lot of his complaints are things that I am just fine with and didn't see as complaint at all. It just sounds like he's not a fan of collectathon platformers in general but there were several times in his review I was just like "wait why is this a bad thing" or "but this wasn't an issue with banjo kazooie"

like, ok, maybe it's just me, but a lot of it comes off as whining for the sake of whining or whining about things that people were expecting and hoping the game would do such as "be a collectathon where you explore worlds to find stuff." Yeah he's just a game reviewer so I shouldn't care but his whole rant still reads just...overly nitpicky??

idk. games journalism. :shrug:

Those sound like valid criticisms that other reviewers have expressed, although in a different tone. Jim doesn't like the game, and he states his reasons. Those same reasons might be why you like it. Does that invalidate his point-of-view? Nope, that just shows his taste differs from yours. Then again Jim has that hyperbolic writing style that can easily exaggerate things, but I doubt he isn't sincere in his views.

Basically he's the Eric Cartman of video games journalism.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah he's just a game reviewer so I shouldn't care but his whole rant still reads just...overly nitpicky??

That's jim sterling's thing isn't it? why are you reading that click troll

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

He generally writes pretty good reviews.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think anything is wrong with Jim Sterling other than he doesn't operate on the 7-10 scale most other game reviewers do. It's not like consensus opinions of Y-L have been all that stellar, he's just on the low range of scores for what is already a pretty low-reviewed title.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StrixNebulosa posted:

Will do, thank you!

... I'm going to wind up with a third Starscream, aren't I...
Well I'm home from work now, so let's just do this, big ol' effortpost incoming

The KO MP Starscreams have, afaik, all been terrible poorly done upscales or remolds, rather than using the CAD files directly and modifying/upscaling them that way like WeiJiang does. Rumor is that Takasa Tony KO MP's are straight up "third shift" products, I.E. made from the same molds and materials that the originals are, though the labeling on the boxes are slightly modified.

For reference, here's my genuine MP's next to my KO MP's, the four on the right are real, the others are KO's(apologies for the blurry pic):

The price for the four genuine ones is about as much as ALL of the KO's cost, and they're of the same quality. The stack of five Sideswipes was about a hundred, and all of the KO's came with the exclusives and mail-order items that were often only available in Japan.

And while we're diving down this deep as gently caress rabbit hole, WeiJiang also does oversized KO's(OSKO) of third-party Transformers as well, such as this Throttlebot combiner team:

Each bot is glorious, great quality, huge, fun to transform, and merge together into a nearly two foot tall combined robot mode with individually jointed fingers and ratchet joints for strength. Best of all, it's dirt loving cheap, about 120 bucks shipped from china for all six bots and the combiner parts. This dude has all the components.

Chinesium is a hell of a drug.

Here's a bunch of playlists of Batman and previous LP's they've done that have been fantastic:
Telltale Batman
RIDE TO HELL: RETRIBUTION(still my favorite LP they've ever done)
Boxart Critique(going through long-running series's boxart such as Megaman and Castlevania, and discussing the artistry in them, putting their otherwise useless art degrees to use)
Friday Night Fisticuffs(weekly show where they spend 30-60 minutes with a fighting game, sometimes good like Garou, sometimes bad like JACKIE CHAN FISTS OF FIIIIIIRE)
Until Dawn
Undertale
The Last of Us(very good LP)
Metal Wolf Chaos
Spindash Quick Looks(various sonic games and Sonic Dreams Collection)
Double Dragon Neon
The Punisher
XCOM 2 Ironman(includes the most bullshit miss in the history of games)
Metroid Fusion
Life is Strange
Prison Break
Walking Dead Season 1
Walking Dead Season 2
Wolf Among Us
Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

There's a shitload more, including some massive series like the entire Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne series which spans like 400ish episodes or so altogether(including some giant streams), and those definitely have their moments.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Those sound like valid criticisms that other reviewers have expressed, although in a different tone. Jim doesn't like the game, and he states his reasons. Those same reasons might be why you like it.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to invalidate his reasoning, and I agree that there are things he complains about that I see as being intrinsic to the idea of "a new not-banjo-kazooie" game, so to me it just seemed weird to single out things like "there are items to collect that are more or less fancy keys" or "the combat isn't in-depth" or "there are moves that will help you solve puzzles to get other collectibles" or "there are minigames that get you collectibles" and it all comes off like........I dunno. I feel like his complaints don't necessarily deserve the level of outrage he's showcasing, but that's just me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For some reason I thought taking a break from Persona 5 for a while to play Bioshock Infinite for the first time yesterday was a good idea.

I've made a terrible, horrible mistake.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Captain Invictus, post about the aerialbots and any aerialbots figures you have

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

We finally have internet at work again today so I figured I'd take this spare moment of free time I have to let ya'll know I've been massing Persona 5 whenever I'm not working and its extremely good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Oh, I have been.

Sure, if you've got 'em.

Watch one of mine!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Captain Invictus, post about the aerialbots and any aerialbots figures you have
Sure! The Aerialbots have had a lot of renditions in the last few years, official and not. They were one of the first targets of Third Parties, resulting in like a half dozen different Superions and Aerialbots. Some of which have been KO'd, like TFC Uranos. I got that one and while it's not to the quality of WeiJiang, it's still serviceable, and for 60 bucks shipped you get a foot and a half tall combined robot or five large robots.

There is also the Hasbro Combiner Wars Superion/Aerialbots, which is good but not perfect, if I'm being honest. There's replacement hands/feet for them that makes them much better and more stable though. Recently Hasbro was clearing out all their Combiner Wars Generation 2 Giftset stock for almost nothing(like 80% off, 23 bucks per set) and so I bought a bunch of them and did what any sane person would do, I took four sets out and instead of giving them their four different limbs, gave each one the same four limbs of a different type, like so

Also, in addition to Superion, another great one to get is the OSKO of Feral Rex, the third party Predaking who has been KO'd since. Both the OSKO Uranos and Feral Rex are less detailed than their original counterparts(modified joints to be simpler, reduced paint apps etc) however they are half again as large(both about 1.5 feet tall, FR is considerably wider though), and also are 60-70 dollars shipped as opposed to the $400-$500 the originals cost. OSKO Feral Rex can't hold his OSKO sword up because it's the size of a shortsword to a normal human and weighs like 3 pounds by itself, but otherwise these pictures are pretty representative of him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man I just remembered I had the OG Aerialbots from like 87? 88?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A Bayonetta thing is being revealed today, probably for PC

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Man I just remembered I had the OG Aerialbots from like 87? 88?
Me too, I wound up selling them since they had their little guns and stuff, and if you've got those, it like triples the value because the little bits are always the parts that get lost first.

It's like Scorponok, back when I sold just the body I had of his that I'd gotten in a bin of random transformers, it went for like 70 bucks just for the body. But if you had all the little accessories and guns and little mini-transformer he came with, the value increased by a factor of six, because there was just so goddamn many little bits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sadly all my Transformers 'disappeared' one day when my mum decided I hadn't played with them for a while.
I had a pretty good run of the UK Transformers comic that went the same way too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The aerialbots are cool because they are planes

I don't actually know anything about the aerialbots other than they are planes and they can combine.

I wish the SRW team was able to make a transformers super robot wars game.

Captain invictus, I know there is that decepticon train. Are there other train transformers, and if so, what are they

Besides the knockoff thomas the tank engine ones obviously

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had a variety of Transformers but I can't recall which ones specifically, other than I was definitely able to build the original Devastator by individually buying all of the constructicons. They have since been lost to time, I have no idea where they are now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Aerialbots, Ramjet, Megatron and that Jetfire toy that was a repainted Valkyrie from Macross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MinibarMatchman posted:

A Bayonetta thing is being revealed today, probably for PC

I'm hype

• Locked thread