Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Please Malcolm. Do one good thing

For new page

Anidav posted:

May budget: Axe hovers over government's $648.5 million work-for-the-dole program

The month of budget rabbits

The Turnbull government's powerful expenditure review committee has discussed axing one of Tony Abbott's first major policy achievements, the work-for-the-dole program.

But a group of backbench MPs have lobbied Treasurer Scott Morrison as part of a rearguard action to save it, with one describing work for the dole as "red meat for the base" and warning that axing it would infuriate the party's conservative supporters.

Fairfax Media has been told axing work for the dole was discussed when the budget razor gang met last week but a final decision has not been made.

The proposal to axe the policy, introduced by Mr Abbott in 1998 as a junior minister in the Howard government, was floated as the Turnbull government continues to hunt for savings.

Another signature Abbott policy, the Green Army program, was killed off last December in the mid-year budget update.

With the May 9 budget fast approaching, decisions have not yet been taken on a number of other big ticket budget items - including a cut to the capital gains tax discount rate - which some senior ministers are arguing forcefully for, and others vehemently oppose.

Last year's budget diverted $500 million from work for the dole over four years to the PaTH youth employment program but maintained $648.5 million in funding.

Andrew Laming, one of the MPs who lobbied Mr Morrison on the issue, said it was a "signature Liberal Party policy" that should not be dumped.

The Queensland MP told Fairfax Media he was a "big supporter of work for the dole" as it "provides an absolutely vital foundation...for work-ready job seekers in this country".

"Without it, it is very hard for other arrangements like the newly conceived PaTH program to fill that gap. The loss of work for the dole would lead to 150,000 young Australians having to front up to futile job interviews to meet their activity requirements, which does little to get them a job," he said.

"The skills learned on work for the dole are an important bridging process to being ready for a real workplace. It's actually in the nation's interest to have a pool of people with experience, a strong resume and supervisor references to give them a shot at a slice of the pie."

However another Liberal MP, who asked not to be named, said while the policy was popular with the party's base it was "poo poo" and "it should be dead; it's a hopeless program".

Work for the dole requires people who are unemployed to work in what are often low-supervision, menial tasks such as cleaning and labouring in exchange for access to welfare payments. It was wound back under the former Labor government but revived by Mr Abbott when he became prime minister.

A spokesman for Employment Minister Michaelia Cash said "Work for the dole is a key component of the government's mutual obligation regime. The government has no plans to abolish the programme."

On Tuesday morning, the minister issued a further statement: "Work for the dole is fundamental to our efforts to get people off welfare and into work. The government will not be abolishing work for the dole. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply incorrect."

Ms Cash did not address, nor deny, that the expenditure review committee had discussed axing the program.

A government-commissioned $340,000 review of the program last year found the probability that an unemployed person will find a job improved by just 2 percentage points because of work for the dole.

But the researchers found a positive response from a majority of participants, with two-thirds saying their "soft skills" – or people skills – had increased.

From January to September 2016, 86,309 people began participating in work-for-the-dole activities. Of those people, 36,544 participants were under the age of 30 and the balance, 49,765 were over the age of 30.

Of those who participated in the program, 59,898 had been unemployed for more than 12 months, 25,368 for six to 12 months and just 1043 for less than six months.

The St Vincent de Paul Society labelled work for the dole a "demonstrable failure" in its pre-budget submission to the government and recommended it be scrapped.

The Australian Council of Social Services said the $250 million spent on the scheme last year would be better spent in the Employment Fund, helping the long-term unemployed find work experience and training that would improve their job prospects.

Anglicare Australia also recommended work for the dole "and similar punitive approaches to Newstart" be dropped in favour of investment in partnership programs that "deliver wrap-around support, education and on-the job training".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To be fair 200k isn't a lot, it's barely enough to cover a deposit on a house.

Depends where the house is. An hour from the city that's about half a house.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Depends where the house is. An hour from the city that's about half a house.

Not in Sydney it isn't :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Hour from Melbourne supremacy. :smug:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hour from Melbourne supremacy. :smug:

Still too close imo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's been a chorus of denials that work for the dole will be axed, among other things "it would infuriate our voters". Dig up, stupid.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Apparently the green army basically turned landcare into a government organisation by essentially hoovering up everyone in the organisation wholesale and was really good according to my sister-in-law. Pity it uses vulnerable people as indentured workers.

A good safe haven for people with jobs in green energy while they gut the sector I guess.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/851667004347908096

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Guardian posted:

Barnaby Joyce has said governments cannot make policies to bring down the price of houses and urged people struggling to enter the expensive Sydney and Melbourne housing markets to move to regional cities like Tamworth.

The acting prime minister and agriculture minister said he recognised it was terribly tough in Sydney and Melbourne with prices “north of a million bucks” but that was a feature of demand and supply.

“The reason houses are dear here is because so many people want to buy them,” Joyce said. “That’s a really difficult problem to solve.

“You have to be really careful because if you start coming up with great ideas about how you are going to reduce the price of houses, then all the mums and dads out there … say, ‘Hey are you coming up with a plan to reduce the value of my house?’ and they are not really keen on that idea.”

He said any changes would ultimately affect the whole market and the government was working to decentralise government agencies to get jobs to areas where housing was more affordable.

“You are bringing down the price of houses everywhere,” Joyce said. “I don’t think you can do that."

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 11, 2017

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
NACBJ*

*Noted Australian Comedian Barnaby Joyce. And let's face it he's funnier than Vince Sorrenti and Rove McManus combined.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Cartoon posted:

NACBJ*

*Noted Australian Comedian Barnaby Joyce. And let's face it he's funnier than Vince Sorrenti and Rove McManus combined.

Not really a good trade for Clarke though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
That quote doesn't do justice to the mid sentence stroke Barnaby has, repeating "mums and dads" 3 times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
After the great burn the road warrior will have no need for houses or their shattered skeletons. Only a V8, fuel and a leather jacket.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/syria-hoax-sydney-university-at-centre-of-proassad-push-20170410-gvi5kq.html

I know you were done for the Hilton Tim, but come the gently caress on.

Also if you ever want a laugh check out the website for the Centre for Research on Globalisation. It is hilariously blatant in being funded by the Kremlin.

As soon as this guy came up on Media Watch it was clear that he's a lefty who also listens to Infowars. Is there a good reason he still has the position he has?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

As soon as this guy came up on Media Watch it was clear that he's a lefty who also listens to Infowars. Is there a good reason he still has the position he has?

He was an oppressed lefty that was in all likelihood framed for the Hilton bombings so he gets freedom of speech points for being strung up by Roger Rogerson and his ilk. Apart from that no, no good reasons.

It's one of those frustrating situations where because someone was done by and has a story their flaws are outright defended or ignored. See also: the African American woman who was given a speech at the Womens March a few months back in Washington. Yes shes a campaigner for women and rave in the prison system. It is however not brought up the crime she was convicted of was the several day long torture, rape and murder of a man for money which [edit] was justified by another of the women [/edit] because "he was a homo".

http://www.snopes.com/2017/01/30/donna-hylton-background/

The enemy of your enemy is not your friend.

Edit: fixing, misremembered the Psychologists article - her veil slipped when she said she knew he was going to die anyway and thus it didnt matter what she did to him when she previously said she never knew he was to be killed. Doesn't make it any better though.

Lid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 11, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

He was an oppressed lefty that was in all likelihood framed for the Hilton bombings so he gets freedom of speech points for being strung up by Roger Rogerson and his ilk. Apart from that no, no good reasons.

It's one of those frustrating situations where because someone was done by and has a story their flaws are outright defended or ignored. See also: the African American woman who was given a speech at the Womens March a few months back in Washington. Yes shes a campaigner for women and rave in the prison system. It is however not brought up the crime she was convicted of was the several day long torture, rape and murder of a man for money which she justified because "he was a homo".

http://www.snopes.com/2017/01/30/donna-hylton-background/

The enemy of your enemy is not your friend.

:stare:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Anyone know details of where Jenna Price went to high school, including her suburb of residence at the time, and parents background and employment. Doing some work on an article about elite political activism and class. Feel free to message me

Hmm, sounds like my once-friend has gone Full Latham.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Somehow I missed this, as quoted above

quote:

Jay Tharappel, who tutors human rights in the same Sydney University department as Dr Anderson, called News Corp journalist Kylar Loussikian "traitorous scum who desperately wants a second Armenian genocide". Loussikian is of Armenian background.

Mr Tharappel defended the remarks when contacted by Fairfax Media on Tuesday. "If people like him wage war on our post-colonial homeland then I will wage war against them," he said. "They can choose to fight me and I will fight them ... with words."

the article includes this

Jay Tharappel, a protege of Tim Anderson at the University of Sydney, with a picture of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin.

OK WHICH OF YOU LF GUYS IS THIS

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/Chacko.TJ/videos/10158452860610697/ WE WARNED YOU ABOUT SPLITS

Lid fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 11, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I hate rehabilitation.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

New FPotM, too many words as normal

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The slow death of old media :toot:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr/11/news-corp-australia-sacks-most-of-its-photographers-and-subeditors-to-cut-costs

gently caress you Murdoch. Once you shrivel up some more this is going to happen to every budgie cage liner you still sell.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Bogan King posted:

QM is a Greens councillor, it's who I thought of first.

'sup

Running as a candidate is a good way to get involved assuming you haven't already had it up to your tits with the feckless shitlords who call themselves MPs in your state (I have, gently caress Jeremy Buckingham and his entire faction of sycophantic cronies)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.abc.net.au/news/interactives/20th-anniversary-flashback/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Quantum Mechanic posted:

'sup

Running as a candidate is a good way to get involved assuming you haven't already had it up to your tits with the feckless shitlords who call themselves MPs in your state (I have, gently caress Jeremy Buckingham and his entire faction of sycophantic cronies)

ooooooooooh, splits bro

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ewe2 posted:

Meanwhile in the land of Moron, a stupid lady has an important message:

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/851572099302932480

ahahahahahaha don't tell her, this is an educational opportunity.

a non-halal egg

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Kurtofan posted:

a non-halal egg

who the gently caress would object to bacon egss

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
People of two out of three Abrahamic faiths?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

who the gently caress would object to bacon egss

People who have correctly realised that eating eggs takes up stomach room better saved for more bacon.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Greens Splits, no longer just for NSW

quote:

A group of Victorian Greens members has emerged demanding change to the capitalist neoliberal economic model and criticising the party’s electoral focus on the inner city at the expense of the working class.

Grassroots Greens launched on Saturday with a statement of intent calling for more radical progressive economic policy as a means to broaden the party’s appeal beyond its current demographic.

The group calls for reform of party processes, particularly to favour young people, but is not affiliated with the anti-establishment Left Renewal group in New South Wales that caused a splash in December by promising to fight to end capitalism.

Grassroots Greens offers a direct critique of the party’s electoral strategy, accusing it of “chasing votes in wealthy, inner-city blue-ribbon electorates by being careful and playing small target politics” and calling on the party to appeal to the working and middle class in suburbs and regional areas “by being bold and radical but staunchly progressive”.

Under the federal leader, Richard Di Natale, the Greens boosted their primary vote by 1.6% at the 2016 election but fell short of winning several inner-Melbourne lower house seats that were targeted. The party has pursued a similar strategy at the state level, winning two lower house seats in the 2014 Victorian election.

“Grassroots Greens recognise that the current capitalist neoliberal economic model is giving rise to significantly gross levels of inequality … and is also a major cause for anthropogenic (human-induced) climate change; and that this system fundamentally needs to change,” its manifesto said.

The group said the party was “a grassroots, activist and anti-establishment party” and should stop positioning itself “as one of the major parties as has been the case in recent years”.

It said the party could reach its goal of a 20% primary vote within a decade by focusing on “radical but progressive economic policy, as well as on social justice policy – which tie into issues that affect the vast majority of the population”.

“We must not be afraid to put forward radical policy, out of fear of negative press.”

At the National Press Club in March, Di Natale said he was “confident” the party could reach the 20% target by having “unmediated conversations” with voters, who by and large liked the party’s policies when they found out about them.

Asked whether the Greens struggled to attract working class support, Di Natale said the party attracted support “from a range of areas … across the board” and many workers said they wanted to work fewer hours, in reference to his proposal of a four-day work week.

Grassroots Greens said the Greens was “the only party that truly represents young people under the age of 30” and it would boost their place in the party by supporting “any young Green seeking preselection”.

But the groups said electing candidates to parliament “should never be the end goal” of the party, as they should be “an extension in the legislature of the street level activism of our party”.

All Victorian Greens members are eligible to join Grassroots Greens, but representatives elected to public office must renounce their membership.

The fledgling group has just 37 likes and 50 follows on Facebook so far, but it nevertheless represents a further splintering of the progressive party that claims not to have factions.

Di Natale has publicly criticised the Left Renewal group labelling its ambition to overthrow capitalism “ridiculous” and warning that the party has never had and should not start to create formal factions.

Federal senator Lee Rhiannon and NSW upper house member David Shoebridge have both defended Left Renewal, arguing that it is not inconsistent with Greens’ principles to call for the end of capitalism and it has a right to exist as there were “rightwing” groupings in the party.

A spokeswoman for Di Natale referred Guardian Australia’s inquiry about the Grassroots Greens to the Victorian party.

The convenor of the Victorian Greens, Willisa Hogarth, said the party “doesn’t commentate on anonymous Facebook groups”.

“Within the Victorian Greens there are multiple working groups where members can contribute collaboratively to the running of the party.

“We welcome all members to get involved and provide feedback through the many avenues, but at this point there haven’t been any approaches.”

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Lid posted:

God damnit you loving idiots.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

quote:

The fledgling group has just 37 likes and 50 follows on Facebook so far, but it nevertheless represents a further splintering of the progressive party that claims not to have factions.

The Victorian Greens have 28k likes. I'm pretty sure a number that low explicitly doesn't represent a whole loving lot, actually.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Periphery posted:

God damnit you loving idiots.

We have the worst federal government in living memory who are actively destroying our national future and looting the nation.

Yeah now is a great time to play factions, split and otherwise not stand united.

Fuuuucking morons.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
"Asked whether the Greens struggled to attract working class support, Di Natale said the party attracted support “from a range of areas … across the board” and many workers said they wanted to work fewer hours, in reference to his indentured house maids exploitation"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wouldn't worry about this small group of idealistic young people getting in the way, the greens will be the neoliberal party du jour with the inner city rich folks that don't like dirty industry soon enough.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

I wouldn't worry about this small group of idealistic young people getting in the way, the greens will be the neoliberal party du jour with the inner city rich folks that don't like dirty industry soon enough.

It's more that they are too stupid to figure out that screaming about destroying capitalism is a bad way to go about promoting their economic point of view (no matter how correct hey are). It completely ignores the social context that they exist in and the fact that most people will consider them crackpots due to the way they've framed their argument.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ignoring the social context that they live in is the greens bread and butter though.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Starshark posted:

Hmm, sounds like my once-friend has gone Full Latham.

Yup. A queer academic was describing the trouble she has when other academics have staked their own territory and claimed issues that they're experts on and no-one else can talk about. Academic poo poo. And he says,

quote:

Just head off to iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and many other countries and declare your queer identity.

Full Latham.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I might actually go to the next Vic Young Greens meeting just so I can laugh at them. Might be more entertaining than the local branch meetings.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Doesn't Iran have state subsidised gender reassignment surgeries? I mean they're a backwards authoritarian theocracy, but it's not as if they'd be shocked and no one has ever come out as queer in Iran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lid posted:

But what does this mean for Sarah Hanson Young's leadership ambitions?

• Locked thread