Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
This is pretty anecdotal but I know 7 couples under 30 who own a house. They live in the Hutt though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

You forgot "living in what is basically a caravan on a postage stamp sized piece of land. We are on the property ladder, yay."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shithouse Dave posted:

im gonna build myself a mansion too. out of cardboard and tarps. under a bridge.
Yet another freeloader stealing his million dollar view of the harbour.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My parents can't afford to lend me that sorta money but their house will be in their will, so I'm basically just waiting for my family to die so I have any chance of owning property.

In the context of NZ millenials I'm pretty lucky, to be here waiting for my parents to die.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

my parents only just turned 60 and they are determined to spend all their assets on travel and having good times, plus i am likely to be 65 myself before either of them considers popping off

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

My parents can't afford to lend me that sorta money but their house will be in their will, so I'm basically just waiting for my family to die so I have any chance of owning property.

In the context of NZ millenials I'm pretty lucky, to be here waiting for my parents to die.

We cheated and used my parents house as security for our mortgage. Where is my article in the papers where I can tell others to stop being lazy and mooch off their parents like I did?
I will be sure to highlight my lack of eating smashed avocado on toast as a factor.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I don't have a Sky subscription, so look out for my success story sometime this century!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah but you also buy flat whites, you wasteful millennial scum.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's me, I'm the millennial couple who saved up enough to buy a house in central Wellington without help/gift from parents, and we're now upsizing. But I recognise that not everyone is able to do this and we bought two years ago before the median property value in Wellington rose like 25%. Idk if we would have been able to afford the same thing now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
My grandfather's leaving me his estate in Gisborne, but selling that would mean turfing out my Grandmother. gently caress that noise.

emminou
May 25, 2006

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2017/04/school-decile-system-to-be-scrapped-for-targeted-funding.html

quote:

It will track individual at-risk students and then use that information to target funding directly to schools.

Under the decile system, schools are ranked from one to 10 based on the socio-economic status of their communities, which determines funding.

But under the Predictive Risk Index, individual students are deemed "at risk" after being assessed by Government data and a school's funding is based on the number of students it has with risk factors.

"This is very much going to be a much more specific approach than the decile funding allows," Education Minister Hekia Parata told Newshub.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Now, when under the administration of a good government, that would mean that schools with at-risk students would receive more funding to prevent radicalization or a descent into criminal past-times for the same.

Which was rather un-subtlely not mentioned as a possibility for this scheme.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 11, 2017

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

my parents are divorced and neither of them are in a position to help me buy a house, and I wouldn't expect them to anyway, poo poo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Countdown to the OIA request which reveals that no advice was sought regarding privacy issues which leads to the entire scheme unravelling.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
We could only afford our house because a; my wife has a good job and used kiwisaver to her advantage and b; my mum died and left her house for me and my sister to sell.

I'd rather it not have happened that way but uh, thanks mum.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Boy the media are really hammering this "you, youngster, can actually buy a house if you put in a bit of effort" stories recently. Almost like someone has told them to do it

Real estate are the only big ad buyers now lol

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

My parents own their own home, and let me live in my childhood bedroom. It's about 5x5 meters, which is definitely bigger than any apartment I could afford in Auckland on my lovely government salary.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Hell, I am a farmer.

Knew it all along

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

My parents own their own home, and let me live in my childhood bedroom. It's about 5x5 meters, which is definitely bigger than any apartment I could afford in Auckland on my lovely government salary.

You had a 5x5 room as a kid? You lucky son of a bitch!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bobbilljim posted:

Knew it all along

Don't misquote me you son of a bitch I will fight you AMA about farming

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

AMA about farming

I stayed on a farm and the farmer pulled a little cow out of a big cow. How little cow get in there?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

504 posted:

I stayed on a farm and the farmer pulled a little cow out of a big cow. How little cow get in there?

Sleight of hand

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I dun know, not a farmer. Next question.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

504 posted:

When a daddy farmer and a mummy cow love each other very much...

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol Stuart Nash justified his support of on the spot fines for intersection window washers because it was the first thing Rudy the ghoul Giuliani did after becoming ny's mayor. The Labour party, everybody.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Rudy took so much credit for a general overall worldwide decrease in recorded crime. Linking stop and frisk thing with a drop in crime in NYC was laughable.

But has set him up politically for life pretty much.

Nash is a populist. Driving around Napier in his red fire engine with NASH written in the MASH tv series font. Jumping into the media whenever he can, quickly retracting what he said once noticed

He's a man with a plan

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
He only won last time because that family first guy split the vote

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Rabbi T. White posted:

When a daddy farmer and a mummy cow love each other very much...

Googled this, seems legit.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Yeah, why else do you think it's called animal husbandry?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Rudy took so much credit for a general overall worldwide decrease in recorded crime. Linking stop and frisk thing with a drop in crime in NYC was laughable.

But has set him up politically for life pretty much.

Nash is a populist. Driving around Napier in his red fire engine with NASH written in the MASH tv series font. Jumping into the media whenever he can, quickly retracting what he said once noticed

He's a man with a plan

Yeah if iirc the while broken windows theory is buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder how I can get set up for life in this country

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Can your parents give you a deposit and/or die?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Stop eating avocado

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

1. ??????
2. Buy a house
3. Become a slumlord

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

4. Try to dictate to everyone how they should be living, giving insightful advice like "harden the gently caress up and join the army, and here's what I would have done when I was 16 and 20 and hold on, I'm about to... ungghhhhhhh" while being blissfully oblivious to the fact that everyone thinks you're a oval office.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

How good are you at sport (needs to be the right sport)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

4. Try to dictate to everyone how they should be living, giving insightful advice like "harden the gently caress up and join the army, and here's what I would have done when I was 16 and 20 and hold on, I'm about to... ungghhhhhhh" while being blissfully oblivious to the fact that everyone thinks you're a oval office.
Extra for experts:

4 a) do NOT join the army yourself. That's for poors.
b) be a soft skinnyfat dude living off his parents.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Hastings Man Buys Investment Property at 15 Years Old, Hasn't Washed Hair Since

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Don't grease-shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013