Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can't sleep, so hete it goes.

Think of infinite Ricks like infinite prime numbers.

It's easy to figure out if 3 is a prime number. It's a whole number. It can't be divided by 2. It can be divided between 3 and 1. But 5 requires more math to show it's a prime: 5 divided by 5, 3, 2, or 1. The work only increases as the numbers get bigger. Thankfully, there are lists of prime numbers so we don't have to do the math.

The Rick central finite curve serves a similar purpose to a list of primes. It's a way to get around doing the math for every known universe with a Rick.

But what if we wanted to find a new prime number? That would take a lot of time and processing power. The largest prime number found to date is over 22,300,000 digits long. It took a month to find using donated time on a supercomputer.

Finding a new Rick has to be harder. And the difficulty would only increase if we set conditions for what sort of Earth that Rick came from. An Earth where McDonald's kept the Schezuan sauce on the menu, or where Pencil Sylvester isn't a parasite, or where Summer has normal bladder control.

So it's not a problem with there not being other Ricks or other prime numbers. They're there. But finding new ones requires time and processing power. Time and power that isn't always available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

All these seriousposts are way funnier if you read them in Rick's voice.

"Think of infinite Ricks like *burp* infinite prime numbers, Morty. It's easy to figure out if 3 is a prime number. It's a whole number, Morty, it can't be divided by *burp* 2."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elman posted:

All these seriousposts are way funnier if you read them in Rick's voice.

"Think of infinite Ricks like *burp* infinite prime numbers, Morty. It's easy to figure out if 3 is a prime number. It's a whole number, Morty, it can't be divided by *burp* 2."

"Actually, l-l-let me grab my white board. This has been a long time coming, anyway."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Actually, l-l-let me grab my white board. This has been a long time coming, anyway."

I love that scene so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ik8vNGV64Q

:allears:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I love that it's actually Morty that knocks everything out of sync.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Nevvy Z posted:

I love that it's actually Morty that knocks everything out of sync.

Its so in character cause Morty's always on the cusp of telling Rick to gently caress off, to eventually get shot down.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

Its so in character cause Morty's always on the cusp of telling Rick to gently caress off, to eventually get shot down.

Even if he's not that bright, being the one person in the galaxy who can actually stand up to Rick is the best thing about Morty. The bit with the fake gun and the stand-off in the most recent episode is another great example.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RandomPauI posted:

Think of infinite Ricks like infinite prime numbers.

It's easy to figure out if 3 is a prime number. It's a whole number. It can't be divided by 2. It can be divided between 3 and 1. But 5 requires more math to show it's a prime: 5 divided by 5, 3, 2, or 1. The work only increases as the numbers get bigger. Thankfully, there are lists of prime numbers so we don't have to do the math.

The Rick central finite curve serves a similar purpose to a list of primes. It's a way to get around doing the math for every known universe with a Rick.

But what if we wanted to find a new prime number? That would take a lot of time and processing power. The largest prime number found to date is over 22,300,000 digits long. It took a month to find using donated time on a supercomputer.

Finding a new Rick has to be harder. And the difficulty would only increase if we set conditions for what sort of Earth that Rick came from. An Earth where McDonald's kept the Schezuan sauce on the menu, or where Pencil Sylvester isn't a parasite, or where Summer has normal bladder control.

So it's not a problem with there not being other Ricks or other prime numbers. They're there. But finding new ones requires time and processing power. Time and power that isn't always available.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1toby3N1dDt

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RandomPauI posted:

Think of infinite Ricks like...

Voted 1, unbookmarked. Can't wait for Summer.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Thanks, I always wanted to read that post but couldn't bring myself to read more than one line.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
When Rick enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four Ricks on the edge of a butt-cliff. Say a direct copy of the Rick nearest the butt-cliff is sent to the back of the line of Ricks and takes the place of the first Rick, then burps. The formerly first Rick becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the butt-cliff into a giant gaping, but somehow simultaneously farting, butt hole.

Dimensions work the same way.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

Even if he's not that bright, being the one person in the galaxy who can actually stand up to Rick is the best thing about Morty. The bit with the fake gun and the stand-off in the most recent episode is another great example.

Morty getting chewed out for basically killing everyone by using his gun to threaten Rick instead of to kill the Council Rick is exactly the character dynamic that originally sold me on the show, and I was really glad to see it, because I was worried for the past season, with him standing up to Rick more and more, that he was getting so confident and competent that he'd basically be a more sympathetic, more boring Rick instead of a fuller comedic foil to him. That moment alone drastically increased my confidence that the writers know what they're doing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Jerry's character makes a ton of sense when you remember he's been sexually assaulted at least twice and implied that it was more.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Evil Morty is just the main Morty that traveled back in time because Rick finally pushed him too far.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Is Jerry teaming up with Evil Morty or Zeke this season?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Human Crouton posted:

I had a brain fart and thought you meant Zeke from Bob's Burgers. Now I want to see Jerry deal with Gene, Louise and Tina. He would last about 10 seconds before turning into a crying mess.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

Why would Evil Morty team up with a Jerry? If he had access to all those other Ricks and Morties, the last thing he'd need would be a Jerry
Edit: unless I suppose Jerry brainwaves are "stronger" dumb brainwaves than Morty brainwaves

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

As Nero Danced posted:

Evil Morty is just the main Morty that traveled back in time because Rick finally pushed him too far.

The comic series had a universe where Rick and Morty swapped roles with Morty being the super scientist and Rick as the Morty. Morty was an even bigger rear end in a top hat than regular Rick so maybe that has something to do with Evil Morty. I only read up to issue 3 so just speculating if this actually comes up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

I wouldn't actually be surprised if this was the case. His stunt with all those tortured Mortys didn't seem to accomplish much...but it did make Morty Prime something of a messiah in the eyes of the rest. That's a useful little base of worshippers, and if Evil Morty is future Morty Prime it's something he could make use of for Evil. Or maybe he just wanted to add some friction between Rick Prime, so that he'd eventually get pissed enough to destroy the Citadel of Ricks.

He could also be a Rick bodyswapped into a Morty, since that's a thing we know can happen now. Like, a Rick stole a Morty's body and then used that Morty body to puppeteer another Rick body.

Slime fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 15, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

prefect posted:

You can have one infinity that's smaller than another infinity. Math people understand this. (I am not a math person.)

Its basically like, think of the set of whole numbers above 0. like 1,2,3...., it's infinitely long. If you take the set of even numbers, so 2,4,6,..., it's still infinite, but it's half as many numbers. It's pretty abstract.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 16, 2017

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

underage at the vape shop posted:

Its basically like, think of the set of whole numbers above 0. like 1,2,3...., it's infinitely long. If you take the set of even numbers, so 2,4,6,..., it's still infinite, but it's half as many numbers. It's pretty abstract.

f(x) = 2x is bijective from the set of natural integers to the set of even integers, so they're both countably infinite. there are as many even integers as there are integers overall.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Lick Lick Lick lick my balls!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AIDS!!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I found the deaths of the many Mortys upsetting and I hope all remaining Ricks (apart from "poo poo-eating" Rick) die horrible, painful deaths.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

I found the deaths of the many Mortys upsetting and I hope all remaining Ricks (apart from "poo poo-eating" Rick) die horrible, painful deaths.

There may be more Mortys in existence than there are Ricks -- think about how many got killed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Poor little Rickless bastards.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Zaphod42 posted:

There are other K-Michaels in other dimensions who haven't been killed. I can only hope we see one sometime.

Here I go killing again! :)

What a great character. God damnit Morty.

Still pretty disappointed that K-Michael didn't get to bust Rick out of prison. :sigh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqCqBJLpNSY

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

prefect posted:

There may be more Mortys in existence than there are Ricks -- think about how many got killed.

Well, technically in any reality where there's no Rick there also can't be any Morty, given that the former is the latter's grandfather and all. If anything there should be less Mortys than Ricks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, technically in any reality where there's no Rick there also can't be any Morty, given that the former is the latter's grandfather and all. If anything there should be less Mortys than Ricks.

Rick can die after Beth is born, and considering the dangerous lifestyle most Ricks live Im guessing a lot die. Look at the poor bastard who managed to solve the Croenenburging and then died instantly screwing something together. Or all the gestapo Ricks who died both times the main ones were on the run from the council.

Also they have spare Mortys to just give out at the council.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Maybe they clone Morties, so they can replace dead ones.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Rickless Morties live a normal life. Mortyless Ricks are easily found and imprisoned or killed.

It's the circle of life.

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 17, 2017

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Jerry's character makes a ton of sense when you remember he's been sexually assaulted at least twice and implied that it was more.

I actually hope theres an episode in the third season that shows Jerry thriving on his own because he was caught up in a conceptual prison where he was constantly on the verge of breaking off his terrible marriage.

Literally that's all they could do with the character. Also, it sort of felt like Jerry got increasingly dumber as the show went on and he was just a punching bag for Rick & Co. Infact, I feel like the following episode, the family could start tearing eachother apart because they have nobody to freely tear down.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 17, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They better not do that, Harmon already trod that path in Community.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They better not do that, Harmon already trod that path in Community.

I don't totally trust Harmon not to go back to his own well.
BUT, I would like to have a season without an episode about their loving marriage again.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Shima Honnou posted:

Poor little Rickless bastards.

Yes, it's true. This Morty has no Rick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be funny if after Jerry leaves, he becomes a successful actor.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fancy Hat! posted:

I don't totally trust Harmon not to go back to his own well.

He's already had Rick say "duh-doy", which Britta said in Community. It's all been done before.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I kinda thought the show was 60/40 Roiland's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Cojawfee posted:

It would be funny if after Jerry leaves, he becomes a successful actor.

I bet Jerry gets his life together and becomes successful while Beth becomes an even bigger alcoholic and clings to Rick constantly. Everyone tries to get Jerry back but he doesn't want to. Then Rick kills him, goes to Jerry daycare and gets another one.

Nothing matters, existence is meaningless, come watch TV.