Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe I just know where not to speed, but I haven't been pulled over in 9 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

Maybe I just know where not to speed, but I haven't been pulled over in 9 years.

The only ticket I've had in the last 20 years was an illegal u-turn of all things. Still don't know where the hell the cop came from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

The only ticket I've had in the last 20 years was an illegal u-turn of all things. Still don't know where the hell the cop came from.

I got pulled over for a non visible temp tag, no ticket. Then last year I got pulled over for making an illegal lane change at 3 am and the cop wrote me up for a non functional brake light. Which ended up being bullshit but it was in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't even get their courthouse on the phone.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Every time I've been pulled over it's been for some bullshit thing at 3 in the morning so they could check if I was drunk or not. Failing to come to a FULL stop BEHIND the line, "improper" turn signal usage, tint checks, poo poo like that. Never actually gotten a ticket.

Pretty sure cops don't "see" my silver FoST.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pretty sure cops don't "see" my silver FoST.

Pretty sure they'd see it at 106.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

We took our GTI down to Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown for the weekend to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and while we were out walking around our car made a friend in the parking lot of the Yorktown Battlefield's visitors center.

Ours is a 2014 GTI Driver's Edition and the friend is a Mk. I (?) Jetta TDI. I say 'ours' because the GTI is mostly my wife's car, but I have visitation rights with it once or twice a week to make sure that it gets some highway miles to go with her mostly in-town driving. It's a proper three pedal model and the weather was perfect yesterday to make use of the sunroof.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
No cop attention so far in the FiST, which is somewhat surprising because I've spent more time deep in to "definitely getting a ticket and possibly getting arrested" territory with it than anything I've owned previously.

Three of my last four speeding tickets were all in different Kias, amusingly enough.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

wolrah posted:

No cop attention so far in the FiST, which is somewhat surprising because I've spent more time deep in to "definitely getting a ticket and possibly getting arrested" territory with it than anything I've owned previously.

Three of my last four speeding tickets were all in different Kias, amusingly enough.

That's the beauty of it. It's not flashy and is unassuming.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

wolrah posted:

No tickets in my silver FiST, it seems unassuming to both cops and most other drivers on the road. I've actually been pulled over twice in the FiST, both for 10 or less over in a 45 and let off with a kind warning.

Picked up a ticket in our black Outback recently, my first one in more than 7 years (78 in a 70, with the speed of traffic.)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cops ignore my silver C5. Completely ignore. Like triple digits dead to rights ignore. They must always figure I'm a gray hair's away from my next stroke.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I got a ticket in my old WRX for, of all things, "following too closely". I guess it would have been speeding if grandma wasn't driving so drat slow in the left lane. So far, however, the FoST experience has been ticket-free for over a year.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've only been pulled over in the RS once and it was for no visible temp tag(I had it in the front window because I had just gotten the tints done). Got a ticket for that even with PBA cards and telling the cop I had literally just picked up screws to put my real plate on. I used to get pulled over for speeding regularly in my silver rav4. I still drive the same and I'd say my RS stands out quite a bit more, life is strange.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm going to run my temp tags until I get pulled over because the toll road can't bill temp tags. This will save me approximately $200 a month.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Anyone selling an ST accessport v3?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I still have mine. Traded my 14 in on a 5.0 mustang. I have the pillar mount, cobb intake(tube got a little dicked up on the airbox end, and the steeda SS block off plate

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fps_bill posted:

I still have mine. Traded my 14 in on a 5.0 mustang. I have the pillar mount, cobb intake(tube got a little dicked up on the airbox end, and the steeda SS block off plate

PM me if you want sexy dollars

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just picked up a 40 gallon water heater from Home Depot in my FiST. Closed the hatch. :getin:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
There's a weird clicking noise coming from the headliner in my SVT. Back, probably near the hatch area. Only when the car is off. What could that be?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

More quality repair work :allears:

I'm going to try to get out of this loving thing once it's re-repaired. See if they'll let me out if I buy an R or something.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

More quality repair work :allears:

I'm going to try to get out of this loving thing once it's re-repaired. See if they'll let me out if I buy an R or something.

Never has someone dodged a bullet by leasing as much as you have. Thank God they didn't match Sheehy's price on that car

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
should have been totalled

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maksimus54 posted:

Never has someone dodged a bullet by leasing as much as you have. Thank God they didn't match Sheehy's price on that car

I would have just set the loving thing on fire by now if it weren't a lease.

JollyPubJerk posted:

should have been totalled

Yup. Have an appointment at the next shop for May 2nd. I'm going to tell them to go over everything the other shop touched.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I had good luck asking for an AP here, do I guess I'll ask if anyone is selling a FiST upgraded intercooler :v:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I got 1 speeding ticket in the (metallic gray) Speed3. 86 in a 65 when I was following a silver Genesis Coupe on an on ramp for 95. In my silver GTI I (knock on head) feel as camouflaged as I did in my 2002 Windstar.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What is the trashbag poo poo behind the headboard where the visor clicks into?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Christobevii3 posted:

What is the trashbag poo poo behind the headboard where the visor clicks into?

Looks like a bunch of garbage glue they squeezed on in there

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
I reckon it's easier to get fined in a slower car because the speed is hard won - your less willing to give it up once you get there.
With a quicker car you instinctively back off where a speed trap is likely because it's easy to gather the pace up again.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
On my 2.3l ranger it lost ten mph on overpasses so any cop waiting on the opposite side never knew the better. Took a mile to gain it back.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

spleen merchant posted:

I reckon it's easier to get fined in a slower car because the speed is hard won - your less willing to give it up once you get there.
With a quicker car you instinctively back off where a speed trap is likely because it's easy to gather the pace up again.

Can confirm with a 20 over ticket on a 150cc scooter (cop thought I was running!), and no tickets on any of the sportbikes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This makes a good bit of sense actually. Especially scooting around town. I tend to get on it, then back off to traffic, rinse repeat. Vs sitting in the left lane trying to go as fast as possible all the time.

The car is just so much fun to drop to third, haul rear end around the idiot doing 5 under in the fast lane and go about my business.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

This makes a good bit of sense actually. Especially scooting around town. I tend to get on it, then back off to traffic, rinse repeat. Vs sitting in the left lane trying to go as fast as possible all the time.

The car is just so much fun to drop to third, haul rear end around the idiot doing 5 under in the fast lane and go about my business.

That, and once you're used to driving such a slow vehicle flat out all the time, it doesn't even feel like you're doing anything wrong when you're actually doing 20 over. 55 everywhere that isn't a neighborhood or a parking lot!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm sure it's been said a bunch in this thread, but the Fiesta ST is a stupid good car. I honestly went in to buy it lamenting the fact that I wasn't going to get a GTI, and now after 1k miles I can't imagine anything else. The cabin experience in the GTI murders the Fiesta, but all the poo poo that really matters shines in the the ST.

It's a blast taking an offramp at something resembling a stupid pace and have your wife continue on bitching about her workday instead of frantically reaching for the ohshit handle like she did in the GTI when I tried the same thing. Good car. 10/10.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I put my summer tires back on the FiST yesterday. I forgot how well this thing turns. That's really not helping me resist buying a set of 16" wheels and RE-71Rs.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Should I buy an engine, rods, pistons, studs, and head gasket for my Veloster Turbo? $4200 delivered to build up? Wife is commuting like 20k miles a year so 3 more years of miles and can build it up. Same cost as a secondary car for commuting in insurance for 5 years... Why do I need a 330-500whp vt...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Trade in your car for something faster/easier to gain power from?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Trade in your car for something faster/easier to gain power from?

This is the correct answer.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Cheap insurance is addictive. Otherwise I got a 2007 350z hr with 45k miles to mod for not commuting.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So you want to spend 4.2k building an engine for your daily driver while you've got a 350z in the garage?

It's your money, and you're in the right forum.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Correct. 350z insurance is $1500 a year vs $800 a year for the VT, so not insured in the garage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone running a Stratified flash tune on a FiST? I hear nothing but good things, considering going with that for a while before going e30 later this summer.