Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Isn't there some kind of "sectioning" for people like this where they are compelled to get help that they would otherwise refuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Had a chuckle at this - Should Scotland join Canada

I like Canada a lot. Their politics is good at the moment, all the Canadians I have met are good and cool, they are a bit French which is clearly the second best nationality after Scottish and it's warm in the summer and bloody cold in the winter. Their beer is also excellent.
However something about it also makes me slightly uncomfortable, it's too close to the Brexit cheerleader's calls to re-engage with the Commonwealth.

In the full knowledge that this is never going to happen I was wondering what the thread's perspective is? You don't need an international relations major to see ideological fault-lines appearing between nations and multinational blocks globally, is this something Scottish nationalism should embrace or reject? One of my major reasons for starting to lean yes from a strong no position is that I feel the UK is on the wrong side of a widening chasm, but the fault lines may change as the have done dramatically over the last 12 months and to pick sides risks alienating good people in (currently) not so good places. As the post above suggests we would have welcomed the US with open arms a matter of months ago.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 7, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zalakwe posted:

I like Canada a lot. Their politics is good at the moment, all the Canadians I have met are good and cool, they are a bit French which is clearly the second best nationality after Scottish and it's warm in the summer and bloody cold in the winter. Their beer is also excellent.
However something about it also makes me slightly uncomfortable, it's too close to the Brexit cheerleader's calls to re-engage with the Commonwealth.

In the full knowledge that this is never going to happen I was wondering what the thread's perspective is? You don't need an international relations major to see ideological fault-lines appearing between nations and multinational blocks globally, is this something Scottish nationalism should embrace or reject? One of my major reasons for starting to lean yes from a strong no position is that I feel the UK is on the wrong side of a widening chasm, but the fault lines may change as the have done dramatically over the last 12 months,

Canada only looks good because it's on top of America. It's just another lovely neo-liberal country with better PR. Trudeau is Blair before Blair got a hate-boner for Middle Eastern adventurism.

Sturgeon probably likes him.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 7, 2017

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Their PR is certainly better looking. Scotland is hardly a glittering Utopia either but benefits heavily from not being England.

I understand what you're saying but would following it through to its conclusion not leave us completely isolated?

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 7, 2017

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

We only did the wars of independence in secondary, which was completely just my lovely S1 history teacher complaining about Braveheart. A bit rubbish.
We did the Highland Clearances though (the same year as the wars of the roses, how very pointless!) and I remember being stunned at uni when a lot of my class didn't even know what the Clearances were.
I think the Jacobites was that year too - I have fond memories of making my own targe :D
I think we did something about Mary Q of S, though that may have just been that one of my teachers encouraged us to read a ton of Mollie Hunter books (I really must get round to acquiring some of them again)....thinking about this in more detail, we definitely did, because I remember eating in Rizzios in Stirling (not there any more but was an Italian at the Highland hotel) and putting my mum off her pudding by extoling how it was named after MQofS's brutally murdered secretary in lots of detail (we got to colour in a picture of it!)

We did do a Scottish language thing with some blokes coming in to school to lead it in Primary 7. Think it was related to some national project.
For literature, beyond the Mollie Hunter in primary, it very much depended on which English teacher we got.
We did The White Bird Passes at Standard Grade, a couple of Liz Lochhead poems at Higher along with the same Norman McCaig poems every Higher English kid does. No Sunset Song though!
It's quite interesting to compare what's on the text list for the Scottish sections of the new Nat 5 and Higher actually.
I remember winning a prize in S2 on Burns Night for knowing more lyrics to Auld Lang Syne than any other pair (and it was pretty shocking how little I remembered tbh)

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Obama has killed more afghani children than Blair did in Iraq tbh. Same with Yemenese children. Probably magnitudes more. It's not an insane position to protest against him.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
When I was at Primary School we did the Wars of Independence almost exclusively from what I can remember but I was in Stirling and the school was literally a minutes walk away from one of the suggested sites of the Battle of Bamnockburn (and the one where they do all of the reconstructions and where they built the museum for it a few years back) so that's only natural. First year history was all ancient history from the beginning of civilisation in Scotland; and all I remember from second year history was that we jumped around a lot and did nothing in any real depth. Int 2 and Higher history was Scottish and British social history in the early 20th century (so voting reforms, creation of the welfare state; Red Clydeside, that sort of stuff), inter-war Germany (which was literally all we did for Advanced Higher, my big piece of work was on the Foreign Policies of Gustav Stresemann) and the Civil Rights Movement in America. Those seem to be the three most popular ones in my experience.

Then I went to uni and studied Central and East European Studies and Politics, which was nothing to do with any high school history...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

When I was at Primary School we did the Wars of Independence almost exclusively from what I can remember but I was in Stirling and the school was literally a minutes walk away from one of the suggested sites of the Battle of Bamnockburn (and the one where they do all of the reconstructions and where they built the museum for it a few years back) so that's only natural. First year history was all ancient history from the beginning of civilisation in Scotland; and all I remember from second year history was that we jumped around a lot and did nothing in any real depth. Int 2 and Higher history was Scottish and British social history in the early 20th century (so voting reforms, creation of the welfare state; Red Clydeside, that sort of stuff), inter-war Germany (which was literally all we did for Advanced Higher, my big piece of work was on the Foreign Policies of Gustav Stresemann) and the Civil Rights Movement in America. Those seem to be the three most popular ones in my experience.

Then I went to uni and studied Central and East European Studies and Politics, which was nothing to do with any high school history...

Jesus I wish I did History for S Grade & Higher. Stupid younger me, not knowing what would interest older me.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hoops posted:

Obama has killed more afghani children than Blair did in Iraq tbh. Same with Yemenese children. Probably magnitudes more. It's not an insane position to protest against him.

Barack obomber. take us seriously!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Hoops posted:

I say you would have a point.

But that would give the morons a point in what they usually do is cause nothing but embarrassment to everyone.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Red Clydeside in school history? Much jealousy! I was never a big fan of history in school though. I took the nerdy option and took geography for my social subject. I can sing you a darn catchy song about the formation of a corrie!

I keep meaning to drive up to Bannockburn to check out the new visitor centre. Apparently they've got some wargame-esque type thing you can play?
Thinking about it actually, both the bf and I are off work next week....

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So who actually lives in Glasgow and would be up for getting me to buy them a pint?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You guys dont know how good you would have it in the US.

Americans are madly in love with all things scottish.

Your senators and electoral votes would probably push the democrats back safely into power, and since the US is the dominant country in the world, a better US would mean a better world.

Plus, you'd be a historic foothold for us across the atlantic.

Scotland, be historic!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
All this history chat is appropriate given 2017 is the Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology, according to VisitScotland's press release about their latest deal with TripAdvisor. Not exactly sure what the deal is actually going to bring other than a joint marketing campaign, though.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Zalakwe posted:

In the full knowledge that this is never going to happen I was wondering what the thread's perspective is?

It seems to somewhat misunderstand the concept behind Scottish nationalism...like the occasional suggestions that Scotland becomes independent and takes Wales and Northern England with it, and somehow unifies with Ireland. The base drive of Scottish nationalists is to become independent, not join a different much larger state (something something EU).

Also, at this point Scottish Nationalists have gone fully European, the Commonwealth (which I do support stronger and deeper ties with) is a brexiteer fancy that nationalists will probably react against.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mediadave posted:

The base drive of Scottish nationalists is to become independent, not join a different much larger state (something something EU).

I don't think I can agree with this at all; there's not one "base drive" of Scottish nationalism, there's a ton: it's an almost impossibly (and certainly impractically) big tent that the SNP have cultivated. It bit them pretty loving hard with the pound debacle in the last referendum. It's why the SNP seems to defy conventional UK political classification; they're were a sort of centre right party who then swelled their base with a shitton of very enthusiastic left leaning to hard left supporters, and the result is something that is simultaneously lefty and righty and centeristy all at once.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CoolCab posted:

I don't think I can agree with this at all; there's not one "base drive" of Scottish nationalism, there's a ton: it's an almost impossibly (and certainly impractically) big tent that the SNP have cultivated. It bit them pretty loving hard with the pound debacle in the last referendum. It's why the SNP seems to defy conventional UK political classification; they're were a sort of centre right party who then swelled their base with a shitton of very enthusiastic left leaning to hard left supporters, and the result is something that is simultaneously lefty and righty and centeristy all at once.

A fairly reasonable assessment. Imagine if Blairite Eurosceptics had joined forces with the Tory Leave campaign to form UKIP - that's the SNP. Then a whole heap of Scots who hated the Tories signed up expecting actual left wing policy because the SNP have been claiming to be lefties and now they don't know what to do any more.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jedit posted:

A fairly reasonable assessment. Imagine if Blairite Eurosceptics had joined forces with the Tory Leave campaign to form UKIP - that's the SNP. Then a whole heap of Scots who hated the Tories signed up expecting actual left wing policy because the SNP have been claiming to be lefties and now they don't know what to do any more.

some of them seem to have some idea of what to do, to be fair, namely "make a nuisance of themselves at conference", which may pay out dividends in the long term if all goes well

"if all goes well", of course, being the famous last words of most forms of hope in the uk as a whole

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Acaila posted:

I keep meaning to drive up to Bannockburn to check out the new visitor centre. Apparently they've got some wargame-esque type thing you can play?
Thinking about it actually, both the bf and I are off work next week....

It's alright; nothing fancy but quite interesting. They have a few things; an interactive war games thing you mentioned plus the same thing showing how the real battle went, depends on the time as to what one you get. I live like 30 seconds away from it; I could check out times or whatever for you?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

So who actually lives in Glasgow and would be up for getting me to buy them a pint?

When were you thinking?

Zalakwe posted:

In the full knowledge that this is never going to happen I was wondering what the thread's perspective is? You don't need an international relations major to see ideological fault-lines appearing between nations and multinational blocks globally, is this something Scottish nationalism should embrace or reject? One of my major reasons for starting to lean yes from a strong no position is that I feel the UK is on the wrong side of a widening chasm, but the fault lines may change as the have done dramatically over the last 12 months and to pick sides risks alienating good people in (currently) not so good places. As the post above suggests we would have welcomed the US with open arms a matter of months ago.

It's an interesting piece, and not entirely mad. I've often idly thought that Scotland after independence would look a bit like Canada in the sense that the UK/Scotland dynamc would be little like USA/Canada in minature: richer and more politically powerful southern country, northern part famous for its landscape, lack of population density, and being defined (politically and economically) in large part by its relationship to/against its neighbour. Plus Canada's pretty cool, so we could definitely do worse for partners.

Definitely share that sense of the widening chasm; there seems to be more and more people in the UK comfortable with a kind of economically right wing, socially conservative isolationism/exceptionalism/nationalism, and that makes me really uncomfortable.

Niric fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 9, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

When were you thinking?

I'm here for April on work placement so anytime then. Weekends for a late one, but I'm not adverse to a few on a weekday.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What's with all this talk about a snap election? How would that help anything?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I guess the idea would be to show that some people want another referendum?

Though it's probably just because Sturgeon has said she'll talk about her next steps after Easter and has ruled out a legal challenge so there's not a lot else she can do so people are just guessing.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I really don't see what a snap election would do apart from maybe giving the Scottish Tories a bit of a boost in the Scottish Parliament. It's not like Theresa May's going to change her mind on independence just because MSPs vote for it given that that's already happened.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I was baffled by the headlines myself. Something the tories are pushing for I guess? Can't see it doing the SNP or Labour any good (especially not Labour haha).

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

I'm here for April on work placement so anytime then. Weekends for a late one, but I'm not adverse to a few on a weekday.

After work weekday pint could be a shout. Centre of town ok for that? Next week isn't great besides wednesday, week after is better. Any other glasgow folk fancy it?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

After work weekday pint could be a shout. Centre of town ok for that? Next week isn't great besides wednesday, week after is better. Any other glasgow folk fancy it?

Centre is fine, my office is on union street. I work until 4 ish. Yes bar is right nearby and does discounts for pro indy party members, if that helps anyone.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Drinking in a bar named for a political campaign sounds like hell no matter whether you agree with the stance or not.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

big scary monsters posted:

Drinking in a bar named for a political campaign sounds like hell no matter whether you agree with the stance or not.

It's actually just a chill bar with lots of seating that does food and cheap drinks.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
And it's cheaper if you're a nationalist.

Sounds loving awful.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

are they actually checking party membership or is this just a misjudged marketing ploy?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

are they actually checking party membership or is this just a misjudged marketing ploy?

Seems to be a very successful albeit cynical marketing ploy to be honest. Never been in but sounds like they do pretty steady business.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

I don't know but if you waltzed in covered in Tory stickers I don't know how much of a discount you might get.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

I don't know but if you waltzed in covered in Tory stickers I don't know how much of a discount you might get.

4% of UKIP voters want to remain in the EU.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I can do a Scotch accent too :iamafag:

OCH HALLO THEER. AH HEET THA TOADIES AWND THEY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGLIIIIIIIIIIISSSSH :mad: AWND AHM DEHSPRIT FERA SEYANCEA BUHLAWNGIN CAN AW HAWVA CHEAP BEER THE NOO HAYN

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

4% of UKIP voters want to remain in the EU.

The only way this makes sense is if they're too dumb to discern what the party they vote for is all about.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Coohoolin posted:

worry not, I won't be waltzing in at all.

on another note, there's a pair of articles about the ugly side of the yes / no campaigns that make for depressing reading
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2017/04/extreme-scottish-nationalists-hunting-lapdogs-and-traitors
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2017/04/extreme-scottish-unionists-how-hard-right-has-muscled-independence

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

worry not, I won't be waltzing in at all.

on another note, there's a pair of articles about the ugly side of the yes / no campaigns that make for depressing reading
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2017/04/extreme-scottish-nationalists-hunting-lapdogs-and-traitors
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2017/04/extreme-scottish-unionists-how-hard-right-has-muscled-independence

Wow those two things sure sound exactly as bad as each other.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

Centre is fine, my office is on union street. I work until 4 ish. Yes bar is right nearby and does discounts for pro indy party members, if that helps anyone.

I'll make sure to try and find my old Green Party membership card wherever that is. I'll put it in front of my Labour card and they won't suspect a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

cargohills posted:

I'll make sure to try and find my old Green Party membership card wherever that is. I'll put it in front of my Labour card and they won't suspect a thing.

Labour For Indy is a thing!