Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scooty Puff
Apr 24, 2010
Pillbug
A=:rei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ikr?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Somfin posted:

I think it's wonderfully appropriate that the "editor" put in almost no effort compared to the hard work of the original creator, but probably received far more praise from the shitheads of the world

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

:perfect:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:eyepop:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

poly and open-minded posted:

poo poo, I like Shkreli a little now

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

This is so loving good I want to post it back on 9gag and "fix" the previous "fix" for them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

He's currently undergoing trial for securities fraud and he was such a dick that other companies released generics (that they're not going to make money on) for the orphan drugs he bought and then jacked up the price on. They did this because 1) Everyone hates him and 2) Not Being Martin Shkreli is such an admirable trait it's good PR.

Also he's lost almost all his money.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He's currently undergoing trial for securities fraud and he was such a dick that other companies released generics (that they're not going to make money on) for the orphan drugs he bought and then jacked up the price on. They did this because 1) Everyone hates him and 2) Not Being Martin Shkreli is such an admirable trait it's good PR.

Finally some excellent news in this world.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

china bot posted:

suddenly everything has changed
Did the Fire Nation attack again?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Surely his cornering on the Magic: the Gathering market was going to generate him fabulous wealth?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

crime fighting hog posted:

Surely his cornering on the Magic: the Gathering market was going to generate him fabulous wealth?

Wu-Tang backed securities

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Wu Tang Financial: Diversify yo bonds

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

poly and open-minded posted:

Wu Tang Financial: Diversify yo bonds

You drat well know if Wu Tang started some kind of MLM/investment scam/self help cult in the Scientology style middle class white dudes with mustaches would be mailing RZA millions of dollars a month.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/851648125894664192

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
This thing has libertards crawling out of the woodwork's.

Won't someone please think of the corporations :qq:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Catberry posted:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Catberry posted:

It constantly amazes me that airlines can sell you a seat on a plane and then not give the seat

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Catberry posted:

I got money says if you dig deep enough, there's a metric fuckton of posts by this person, desperately trying to felliatiate cops or lick their boots to a mirror shine.

Those are the kinds of people who defend United over this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It constantly amazes me that airlines can sell you a seat on a plane and then not give the seat

There's a chain of movie theaters in my area that has "phantom seats". It's sold to you as a seat, because you have to book ahead of time right? Like on the seat picker there's zero indication that it's a handicapped seat, or anything's different about it. But you get to the theater and half the row just doesn't exist and they're just empty spots for people to park wheel chairs.

This actually pisses off the people sitting in wheel chairs because they want to get out of their chairs and sit in the comfy as gently caress leather seats with cup holders, not spend the whole movie sitting in the same chair they spent the whole day in.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
What I don't get over this whole United Airlines disaster is. With the no doubt millions of dollars they spend every year on PR and advertising. How can their best efforts of damage control amount to throwing accusations against the victim?

Just take the CEO or some other high ranking person, put him at a podium to throw his hands in the air and go "we hosed up. We will do better" zero dollars.

Then pass it down the chain that bribery will be the only way to get people off the planes. If people won't take 800 bucks then make it 1000, 2000. Whatever it takes.

Chances are you will have more than enough people volunteering at 1500 bucks and a free hotel stay anyway.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Catberry posted:

What I don't get over this whole United Airlines disaster is. With the no doubt millions of dollars they spend every year on PR and advertising. How can their best efforts of damage control amount to throwing accusations against the victim?

Just take the CEO or some other high ranking person, put him at a podium to throw his hands in the air and go "we hosed up. We will do better" zero dollars.

Then pass it down the chain that bribery will be the only way to get people off the planes. If people won't take 800 bucks then make it 1000, 2000. Whatever it takes.

Chances are you will have more than enough people volunteering at 1500 bucks and a free hotel stay anyway.

Because to a sociopath there is nothing worse than admitting guilt. It's always someone else's fault, there are always mitigating circumstances.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And corporate public posturing is very much akin to sociopathy in individuals.

Never admit wrongdoing. As soon as you do, you open yourself up to class action lawsuits and your investors lose confidence in you. Always project unassailable rightness and only issue "sorry you were offended" type apologies. Otherwise you are merely baring your own back for the scourge

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Catberry posted:

They could have sent the crew to where they needed to be with a private jet, so any amount of bribery that amounts to less than the cost of that is still a win for the company.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Collateral Damage posted:

They could have sent the crew to where they needed to be with a private jet, so any amount of bribery that amounts to less than the cost of that is still a win for the company.

I heard it mentioned that the destination was only a 5 hour drive away so a cab from the start would probably have saved them money and not lost them any time.

Data Graham posted:

Never admit wrongdoing. As soon as you do, you open yourself up to class action lawsuits and your investors lose confidence in you. Always project unassailable rightness and only issue "sorry you were offended" type apologies. Otherwise you are merely baring your own back for the scourge

Legally the airline is no doubt in the right. I don't know how US law works but admitting they could have handled it better shouldn't be a legal issue... Should it?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

There's a chain of movie theaters in my area that has "phantom seats". It's sold to you as a seat, because you have to book ahead of time right? Like on the seat picker there's zero indication that it's a handicapped seat, or anything's different about it. But you get to the theater and half the row just doesn't exist and they're just empty spots for people to park wheel chairs.

This actually pisses off the people sitting in wheel chairs because they want to get out of their chairs and sit in the comfy as gently caress leather seats with cup holders, not spend the whole movie sitting in the same chair they spent the whole day in.

Wait, the theaters will sell the wheelchair spaces as seats? To just anyone, so if you have a full house some people are literally without seats unless there happens to be enough people who want/need to stay in their own chairs?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

It was inevitable, when we started rewarding sociopathy monetarily, corporate structure changed to reward the least empathetic.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Catberry posted:

I heard it mentioned that the destination was only a 5 hour drive away so a cab from the start would probably have saved them money and not lost them any time.

Legally the airline is no doubt in the right. I don't know how US law works but admitting they could have handled it better shouldn't be a legal issue... Should it?

There's a shitload of limitations on hours of duty, flight and rest for crew, so a 5 hour delay could have disrupted several flights the next day, so that's why they didn't opt to do that.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Attitude Indicator posted:

There's a shitload of limitations on hours of duty, flight and rest for crew, so a 5 hour delay could have disrupted several flights the next day, so that's why they didn't opt to do that.

So then get a private plane, i'm sure the executives had one they weren't using right then.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Catberry posted:

Technically it's legal for them to revoke a ticket for any reason, so they can force people off flights for their own fuckups and nothing normally happens. Publicity-wise, it's one of the worst moves they could make and the physical abuse the guy suffered ("falling on an armrest" with enough force to bloody his face up) opens them and the officers involved up to lawsuits.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Go ahead and blame it on sociopathy, but don't forget that the biggest factor airline passengers consider is cost, and if you want cheap flights then airline companies will give the Wal-Mart approach to providing it. Cheap flights compel the airline to overbooked to maximize profit. After all, how many first-class passengers are getting chokeslammed out of their seat in these situations?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's gone viral in china, http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/11/asia/united-passenger-dragged-off-china-reaction/

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Panfilo posted:

Go ahead and blame it on sociopathy, but don't forget that the biggest factor airline passengers consider is cost, and if you want cheap flights then airline companies will give the Wal-Mart approach to providing it. Cheap flights compel the airline to overbooked to maximize profit. After all, how many first-class passengers are getting chokeslammed out of their seat in these situations?

Yes lowering the cost on the back of scummy practices like overbooking instead of charging the rich more is yet another expression of the problem.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Glazier posted:

So then get a private plane, i'm sure the executives had one they weren't using right then.

But the profits, man!
Usually airlines don't really have operable aircrafts just sitting around because if they aren't being used they are losing money. crew do sometimes get transported on otherwise empty crafts, but it's rare and usually scheduled.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panfilo posted:

I don't really fly commercial, so I'm confused. If someone books a flight, don't they pay in advance? Or is it like a hotel where they don't charge you until you show up?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't really fly commercial, so I'm confused. If someone books a flight, don't they pay in advance? Or is it like a hotel where they don't charge you until you show up?

No, they sell you the ticket and you move the money from your possession to their possession, and then they tell you to piss off.

There was one case recently where a couple bought a seat for their kid, just the kid's seat was revoked, they ended up carrying the kid on their laps, and then they didn't get the money back for the kid's seat because gently caress you, that's why.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:capitalism:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You're guaranteed jack poo poo until you have your boarding pass, and even then theres still things that can happen.

I grew up with a mom that complained a lot and we ended up getting a lot of comps and free flights because my mom would call them out on this stuff. She also had quite the poison pen.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Capitalism was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently as much as 15% of travelers don't show up for their flights so the airliners use that to estimate how many extra tickets to sell per flight.

So if a flight has 100 seats they sell... say 110 tickets. Most of the time it's not a problem and when it become a problems you offer up a few hundred bucks and a hotel room and volunteers will give up their seats.

A friend of mine showed up late for her plane in Paris because they had booked it so that the plane she was arriving on landed minutes from when she had to check in for the next plane. It wasn't physically possible to cross the distance in the airport in time to check in. So when she showed up they had already sold her seats to other people. With a lot of fighting she managed to argue herself onto another flight home the next day. She got no hotel and had to sleep at the airport.

The next day arrives and the plane she was supposed to catch was never announced on the departure list, only announced over the speakers. In loving French. So she missed that one and the airline told her she could gently caress off now because she missed her second chance. She had to pay 1200 Euros to catch a plane back home.

Maybe she could have argued her way back home for "free" eventually, but the travel agency were very quick to close their phones for the day, and at this point she had slept two nights at the airport, and she had her daughter with her.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Apr 11, 2017