Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

What the heck is a "Desert" card? Is this another one of those teaser cards, like Dark Intimations?

A quick search revealed that the only card with a type called Desert is called... um... Desert. Printed in Arabian Nights.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Yes but it's other 2 abilities aren't as good as Nissa 3's and the difference between a 0/1 and a 1/1 is marginal.
I disagree.
The difference between a 1/1 and a 0/1 is huge. A 0/1 can't do damage, so in an empty board it can't attack.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

People till use IRC?!
In the same sense that people still "play" Standard* – they go through the motions with the same four people and then complain nothing interesting happens. :v:

*Feel free to replace with your favourite dead format.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Inglonias posted:

What the heck is a "Desert" card? Is this another one of those teaser cards, like Dark Intimations?

A quick search revealed that the only card with a type called Desert is called... um... Desert. Printed in Arabian Nights.

They said there's going to be a desert kind of land, but not the arabian nights one.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

With more in Hour which leads me to think the protection bubble over the civilized section is collapsing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

I disagree.
The difference between a 1/1 and a 0/1 is huge. A 0/1 can't do damage, so in an empty board it can't attack.

1/1's are usually not attacking either unless you anthem them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Inglonias posted:

They meant dessert card, like fruitcake elemental. Don't worry, it'll be a day 0 errata.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

1/1's are usually not attacking either unless you anthem them.

"in an empty board".

I mean, the single Llanowar elves aggro phase, with no cards in hand and no other creatures on board, is a classic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

"in an empty board".

I mean, the single Llanowar elves aggro phase, with no cards in hand and no other creatures on board, is a classic.

You aren't expressing yourself clearly. Also, this is probably a fake card anyway.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

You aren't expressing yourself clearly. Also, this is probably a fake card anyway.

Sorry, english is not my first language.

If there are no other creatures on the battlefield, a 1/1 is better than a 0/1, because it can damage your opponent.
In the old times, too, you often had to attack your opponent with your 1/1 Llanowar elves in order to win.
Better now?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 11, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Alaan posted:

With more in Hour which leads me to think the protection bubble over the civilized section is collapsing.

Gatewatch directly contributing to strife on the plane they visit once again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sorry, english is not my first language.

If there are no other creatures on the battlefield, a 1/1 is better than a 0/1, because it can damage your opponent.
In the old times, too, you often had to attack your opponent with your 1/1 Llanowar elves in order to win.
Better now?

OK. That just isn't how games of standard play out though. Making a bunch of 1/1's and then turning like 3 of them into 2/2's and you draw 3 isn't what you want your 4 mana walker to be doing.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 11, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

Gatewatch directly contributing to strife on the plane they visit once again

I think it's a cycle. Bolas creates the city, breeds a bunch of humans, selects his "worthy" ones, destroys everything leaving only the worthy, restart.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 11, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Is Desert bad? Probably.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Man that desert is very not good, unless I was literally monocolored I would never even run it in limited. Black and blue uncommons are neat in limited and that black unc has some sweet art, though

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

O no Slenderman

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Is Desert bad? Probably.

yea why is it so drat useless? Even in a limited deck this isn't worth ruining your mana for.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There's almost certainly going to be some "desert matters" cards in the next set, so maybe this is just an enabler

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The Desert subtype will probably be relevant. You can cycle the green creature to break up the Saheeli combo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That's probably a plant for next set's limited right?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Cool cycling payoffs for limited.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kefnet can now dome the opponent for 1 every turn. :downs:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Is there space for more deserts? Cause that sucks.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I guess 1 damage to target creature or player would've been too much to ask.

(and IRC is kind of like the cockroach of the Internet. It just won't loving die.)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Siivola posted:

In the same sense that people still "play" Standard* – they go through the motions with the same four people and then complain nothing interesting happens. :v:

*Feel free to replace with your favourite dead format.

i used to go on undernet.net back in like the late 90's and early 2000's and download stuff from #warez and then i used to play some silly text arena fighting game on dal.net called #stronghold

those were the loving days!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

EatinCake posted:

Is there space for more deserts? Cause that sucks.
Five land slots left, says the number crunch.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

80s James Hetfield posted:

People till use IRC?!

Until the Internet literally stops existing, there will be people who use IRC. Always.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fun number crunch trivia: Only aftermath cards left are a rare blue///blue, an uncommon white///black, and an uncommon green///blue. There are five artefacts left. There are three open land slots between Canyon Slough and Fetid Pools, meaning they're not reprinting any cycle I can think of.

Edit: They're still not reprinting Lightning Bolt, but Hero's Downfall might still be in! (It won't be tho.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
woah

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Well, that is definitely something. That card is going to need a lot of playtesting though.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Uh, isn't a huge knock against saviors the reliance on hand size mattering mechanics? This block has less of that, but is still committing the same mistake of awesome cards never being as awesome because of something you don't have much control over. It seems a dumb mistake to willingly commit again.

Nissa looks to be really strong, and playing her on three is really good value.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, I was wondering when they would do an X cost planeswalker.

She's a little hard to evaluate but I really want to try her in Bant CoCo.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I like Pox Burper.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Seems weird and good and I want to build a deck around it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

meanolmrcloud posted:

Uh, isn't a huge knock against saviors the reliance on hand size mattering mechanics? This block has less of that, but is still committing the same mistake of awesome cards never being as awesome because of something you don't have much control over. It seems a dumb mistake to willingly commit again.

Nissa looks to be really strong, and playing her on three is really good value.

It looks to me that Hellbent is coming back.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

huh

That's real interesting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That lord looks almost playable. Zombie tribal aggro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Those zombies seem real good.

All these -1/-1 counters makes me sad we didn't end up getting the return of Proliferate in Aether Revolt.

meanolmrcloud posted:

It was specifically "large hand size matters" that was bad. Hellbent plays way, way better than the opposite mechanic of trying to keep as many cards in hand as possible. Hellbent encourages you to play out all your cards, Saviours had a bunch of cards that encourage you to not cast your spells, which isn't fun.

Sickening posted:

That burn spell is loving awful.

It's 5 mana, it's obviously not meant for constructed. It's for Limited, where it will be amazing.

• Locked thread