Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

Picked up the new FoW book in the FLGS yesterday. Took a quick skim of it. Seems like they decided the way to balance out Hen and Chicks being unfun was to give it to everyone. Lots of odd decisions made here.

Wait... what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not quite that stupid but:

1: units can no longer chain command. To be in command you must be within 6" of your platoon leader OR 8£ if you have more than 8 teams in the platoon.

2: units out of command must:
a: stay still.
b: make a tactical move towards their commander and fire at +1 to hit.
c: make a dash move towards their commander and not fire.

Soviets still have Hen and Chicks, but it's a less garbage rule because if you're moving one tank you'll probably be moving all of them anyways to stay in command.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

tomdidiot posted:

Wait... what?

All teams have de-facto mission tactics now, in that you just pick a team in the platoon and they're your commander today*. Therefore gun team leaders are redundant; one of the guns leads.

*if they get shot someone else in 6" takes over.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not quite that stupid but:

1: units can no longer chain command. To be in command you must be within 6" of your platoon leader OR 8£ if you have more than 8 teams in the platoon.

2: units out of command must.
a: stay still.
b: make a tactical move towards their commander and fire at +1 to hit.
c: make a dash move towards their commander and not fire.

Soviets still have Hen and Chicks, but it's a less garbage rule because if you're moving one tank you'll probably be moving all of them anyways to stay in command.

To be nitpicky, they have Hen and Chicks in the conversion guide which is a sticky-plaster to keep books technically compatible and doesn't necessarily (almost certainly won't) reflect their rules in their full mid-war book whenever that's out; look at the differences between british night attack in MW and LW/EW, for example.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

To be nitpicky, they have Hen and Chicks in the conversion guide which is a sticky-plaster to keep books technically compatible and doesn't necessarily (almost certainly won't) reflect their rules in their full mid-war book whenever that's out; look at the differences between british night attack in MW and LW/EW, for example.
Yes, but this bullshit now also applies to Infantry units meaning that you won't be able to deploy in a sensible defensive line and will instead be artillery bait.

Also all artillery now has All Guns Repeat so buh-bye mansblob.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Yes, but this bullshit now also applies to Infantry units meaning that you won't be able to deploy in a sensible defensive line and will instead be artillery bait.

Also all artillery now has All Guns Repeat so buh-bye mansblob.

Worse, in fact, since if it's like TY (and who knows because BF now makes rules with enough gaps to drive king tigers through) then the radius you can appoint new commanders from those killed on is always 6" even if you have 8" of command range, so if someone can kill the middle of your platoon, you might still suffer a loss of command teams.

Honestly, artillery is good at killing stuff, but it's really just "alright", rather than instantly massacring stuff. More hilariously it's basically the only thing that does do meaningful damage to dug-in infantry, since there's no way to lift gone-to-ground, most gun teams are 3+ and the ones that aren't are 4+ save, and breakthrough guns and flamethrowers now just reroll saves (and flammenwerfers are rolling to hit with the victim's TN instead of personal skill, so they'll be going on 6s again). And far less stuff gets into assault now, especially for the soviets, so that's also hard to kill people with.

Artillery, meanwhile, is 4-3+ firepower, hitting on base to-hit numbers (after you range in), and rerolls saves. It's basically the only thing that meaningfully damages infantry aside from tank assaults (which don't care too much since they only had 3-5 teams in anyway usually).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's unlikely that the only other team of the same type will be more than 6" away from the commander, but I guess it could happen.

Seriously though, this looks like they took 3rd edition and said "people are having too much fun, let's bollocks it up".

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
My group has found that in actual play the command bubble isn't a big deal unless you are running max size soviet companies. This is team Yankee though, it doesn't (yet) have the artillery changes they put into midwar.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Removing distinct comman teams seems less realistic and I don't like that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
"Oh I surely won't buy any more minis until I'm done with these" he foolishly thought, moments before a NIB french napoleonic army was posted for sale at a big discount.

Allons enfants de la patrie...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

It's unlikely that the only other team of the same type will be more than 6" away from the commander, but I guess it could happen.

Seriously though, this looks like they took 3rd edition and said "people are having too much fun, let's bollocks it up".
Quoting myself, it seems that they've weirdly actually managed to change things so that you will only end up out of command if after moving you are not within X" of the command team. This oddly means that platoons now don't get turbo hosed if their command team is sniped, so it might actually be a positive change there. I am not sure though.

Still, gently caress you guys for leaving me in possession of two dozen or so combined useless SMG command, Observer and Staff teams now.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Quoting myself, it seems that they've weirdly actually managed to change things so that you will only end up out of command if after moving you are not within X" of the command team. This oddly means that platoons now don't get turbo hosed if their command team is sniped, so it might actually be a positive change there. I am not sure though.

Still, gently caress you guys for leaving me in possession of two dozen or so combined useless SMG command, Observer and Staff teams now.

Well, if your command team is sniped you should just jump it over.

That said, does the book really still have the dumb wording that implies out-of-command is a turn-end check?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

lilljonas posted:

"Oh I surely won't buy any more minis until I'm done with these" he foolishly thought, moments before a NIB french napoleonic army was posted for sale at a big discount.

Allons enfants de la patrie...

Well, following my oath of not buying any more minies for two months now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

Well, if your command team is sniped you should just jump it over.

That said, does the book really still have the dumb wording that implies out-of-command is a turn-end check?
I may have not been clear, it's a thing you check when planning your movement. It's weird as gently caress and I'm not sure how you're supposed to know these things ahead of time. Like you could hypothetically just flarf off in random directions with a unit and end up with everyone out of command.

There are situations in which your command team won't be able to switch to a new unit. Like if you moved, ended up out of command, then got your commander shot and had nobody near enough for him to switch to.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Someone recommend me a 28mm SU-122 model. Warlord Games, my usual go-to, only has a SU-122m which doesn't look nearly as cool.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Someone recommend me a 28mm SU-122 model. Warlord Games, my usual go-to, only has a SU-122m which doesn't look nearly as cool.

http://www.rubiconmodels.com/products.php?i=47

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Bonus points for swappable mantlet & gun so I can magnetize it to make a SU-85, thanks!

e: actually the superstructure is different too, oh well, guess I'm buying two

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rubicon makes good stuff. I need to grab like 4 or 5 of their 2.5-ton trucks whenever I feel like being crazy and making individualized transports for all my squads.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I just put together a Rubicon M-10/M-36. The swapable turrets have different rings but it's a minor annoyance. Otherwise I'm super pleased with the kit.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lobster God posted:

So I went to my local museum today and they had some 20mm Romans!

And by some I mean the entire Legio IX Hispania.

I'm curious if you got any more shots of the army composition. And by curious I mean I am potentially judging the armaments of the legio because I think there's way too much segmentata and not enough hamata in the mix.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
So I just found out I have access to a good laser cutter/etcher! Is there a good place to get plans to make little buildings out of mdf or something similar? I can cut/etch all the way up to thin glass!

BrownieMinusEye fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 11, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Finished my Panzer IV. My first time trying to paint chipping. I didn't really know when to quit - I'll try to make it a lot more subtle next time. I'm reasonably happy with it. There's a lot of room for improvement, obviously, but that is half the fun.

Also I just realized that I forgot to paint the hull MG. :downs:

Crossposting from the painting thread.

I like painting tanks way more than I like painting little dudes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Historicals: Too much segmentata and not enough hamata

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Geisladisk posted:

Bonus points for swappable mantlet & gun so I can magnetize it to make a SU-85, thanks!

e: actually the superstructure is different too, oh well, guess I'm buying two

You only need one, and zero (0) magnets! Trust me I built the kit. Just don't glue down the big superstructure, and mask it if you spray prime so you don't ruin the fit.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

FYI, nwsonline is matching warlords vehicle sale but with a bigger selection and theirs is 3 vehicles for $50. Pretty tempting

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

zokie posted:

You only need one, and zero (0) magnets! Trust me I built the kit. Just don't glue down the big superstructure, and mask it if you spray prime so you don't ruin the fit.

But... that means I don't have an excuse for getting two! :saddowns:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What if you need both at once?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Geisladisk posted:

Crossposting from the painting thread.

I like painting tanks way more than I like painting little dudes.

Your muzzle brake is turned 90 degrees.

If you like painting tanks, join us in the inhalants thread

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So I almost ruined (and maybe still did) my Wirbelwind and the turret of my Panzer IV last night.

Because of this poo poo right here:

I had seen recommendations to use Krylon, that it was just as good. I'm here to report that NOPE.

I hosed up an entire 60-man army with this poo poo a few months ago. I thought maybe I had just tried using it on too cold of a day (it was December and in my garage), or that it was too humid, or that I didn't shake the paint well enough.

I purchased a can of Army Painter gray primer a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to see if I could salvage the can of white Krylon I still had left, since I had so much and I didn't want it to go to waste. So I made sure my garage was an ideal temp and humidity and shook that can for 10 minutes before unleashing it on my tanks.

Sure enough, it was exactly the same. A gooey mess that coated everything in a thick coat of lovely white. It filled in all the details and left running marks, even after a very light coat.

What is so weird is that I had such great results with a can of Krylon black primer, which did the job fantastically a few months back. I can't believe the disparity in quality between the two paints.

For a few minutes I thought I would just step away and let it dry a bit, and see if the detail came back. After 10 minutes or so, I started to get worried and decided to try and remove the primer by hand.

Using a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush, I was able to brush away most of the paint from the detail areas, but it still looks like a mess:

Now the tank(s) have a kind of weird texture to them. It kind of looks like rough paint, and might end up being a happy accident. Still, I'm very disappointed in the Krylon quality overall:

The body of the Panzer IV I used the Army Painter gray primer on last night and it looks fantastic. It cost me twice as much as the Krylon and I could only find it on Amazon, but the quality is second to none. I might have to look into other Army Painter products moving forward.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I had krylon white paint left over from another project, so I tried to use it to paint the inside of a light box a nice flat white. It couldn't even do that.

Toss the models in Pine Sol for a day, the paint should come off fine. If it leaves a sticky residue, scrub as much as you can and put it in for another 24 hours.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Toss the models in Pine Sol for a day, the paint should come off fine. If it leaves a sticky residue, scrub as much as you can and put it in for another 24 hours.

Will this harm the plastic at all? :ohdear:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ExtraNoise posted:

Will this harm the plastic at all? :ohdear:

I tried this and it damaged some of my plastic (made smaller or thin parts very weak and soft) after only 2 hours.

I would be very careful. Once the Pine Sol dried out the plastic went back to normal.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Weird, I never had issues with damage to plastic. Maybe it's the soft plastic I've seen on some wargaming minis? I only used it on hard stuff.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I've used brake fluid to good effect on gw plastics.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So I decided last night to go ahead with priming the Panzer 3, including re-priming the turret which had been part of the original accident:

I'm actually not too unhappy. There's a bit of a weird texture on the turret compared to the body, but it doesn't look particularly out of place. The barrel I think needs to be sanded smooth, however, so I'm going to give that a try before proceeding with any paint.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Very nice! I actually kind of like the texture.

I got my Bad Squiddo soviet women last week, and had some time today to put them on bases.

Overall, they're great, and I'm not just saying that because the owner posts on these forums. Very little flash, an acceptable amount of bend on the barrels/bayonets (they're small, of course), and great sculpts. The equipment and uniforms are accurate as well, so it meets the sperg test.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What scale are they?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
28mm

E: I'll take a picture later, but they're perfectly in-scale with my Warlord metals.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 12, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Moving forwards with my French force, and I wrote some stuff about the pitfalls of adding cavalry:

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/wrapping-my-head-around-french-cavalry

Also, the second hand stash arrived today! It included the following:

2 boxes of Warlord French line infantry
1 box of Perry French line infantry
1 box of Warlord Chasseurs-a-cheval
1 box of Polish Vistula infantry
2 6-pounders
2 mounted colonels

I also just put the finishing touches to the foot Chasseurs, going to take photos tomorrow.

This army is going places. (where it is cold and they'll die of starvation and exhaustion and loving Cossacks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So naturally now that I have a working 3D printer I can indulge all of my dumb Flames of War tank company ideas.
Step one: Romania!
Step two is going to be the late war Japanese tank company that just uses swarms of tiny Japanese tanks that do nothing because if you commit to a gimmick list commit fully.