Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Scouts also tend to have better camo in general, so a net can be handy for when you want to be That rear end in a top hat who is sitting in a bush literally 100m from enemy tanks unspotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I use camo/binos on lights that I don't have kitted out yet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

When I don't have enough weight capacity to put things on my tanks i'll toss a net on that tank regardless of what the tank is.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I do a hybrid of active and passive scouting. I have telescope, coated optics, and camo nets on mine now. I will probably switch out the camo net with my crew is 100% camo trained.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ROFLburger posted:

Has anyone, in the history of tanks, ever equipped a Cyclone Filter?

I did, once, on a KV-1 what feels like decades ago, because it was Tier 5 and I was noticing a ton of fires, and this was before gold extinguishers for credits.

-----

http://sandbox.worldoftanks.com/en/

This is going to be an even bigger flop than Historical Battles was.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 10, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
oi whens i get my type 59 WG?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Look at all you people actually scouting with your light tanks. 90-95% of the match as a light is better spent pretending you are a medium with no armor, poor pen, and okayish dpm.

ROFLburger posted:

I have on the A-44 to see if it would fix the issue with the engine being dead every shot. I've tried it on the ELC too. In both cases, I don't think it is worth it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HFX posted:

Look at all you people actually scouting with your light tanks. 90-95% of the match as a light is better spent pretending you are a medium with no armor, poor pen, and okayish dpm.

But MoEs count assisted damage so if you start off a match with 1k+ spotting damage it's a good way to get MoEs

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My most fun battle over the last week or so was a pick up stronghold match where both teams had all Cromwells or light tanks and charged into the same spot for a 7v7 melee that was over in around a minute.

This new game mode sounds like the opposite of that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Let's make the maps bigger, add twice the tanks, and by extension add four times as many places to camp, then let's mash five person platoons together (because those are so easy to get going) so there's a high chance of clan collusion and/or people who can't actively coordinate logistically save *having* to use team chat or *our* in-game voice tool. In short, let's make WoT even more terrible."

On the plus side, arty in this mode would be ~hysterical~. I can't wait for the "if the maps are larger you need to make the ranges longer and the projectiles faster" posts. They'd need to make the incentive to play these *enormous*, because they'd easily have 15+ minute queue times.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

30v30 with 5 man platoons sounds like it could be pretty neat :shrug:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I think priority numero uno after deleting arty should be adding that cool little feature that XVM (or whatever) introduced where you can draw arrows and poo poo on the minimap. That thing is super helpful AND I think you could probably draw a dick with it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Let's make the maps bigger, add twice the tanks, and by extension add four times as many places to camp, then let's mash five person platoons together (because those are so easy to get going) so there's a high chance of clan collusion and/or people who can't actively coordinate logistically save *having* to use team chat or *our* in-game voice tool. In short, let's make WoT even more terrible."

On the plus side, arty in this mode would be ~hysterical~. I can't wait for the "if the maps are larger you need to make the ranges longer and the projectiles faster" posts. They'd need to make the incentive to play these *enormous*, because they'd easily have 15+ minute queue times.

I'm fine with Wargaming testing this kind of poo poo on the Sandbox. This is exactly the kind of stuff that the Sandbox exists for. I'm assuming artillery cannot be in platoons for this mode just like in randoms, and if you aren't just jamming a five-strong platoon you deserve to suffer just like you earn everything you get when you solopub. Presumably this will end up being a tier ten only mode because I'm certain the matchmaker would detonate trying to make correct matches otherwise, and draining off tier tens from the queues will really help random battles.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They honestly need to set it up like Battlefield and have it be a match people drop in/out of. Lower reload/repair costs on the match so tier 10 players wouldn't lose their shorts on a match, and they could have something.

Plus a 5 person wolfpack of T49s/Sheridans sounds hilarious.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

frontline is extremely not campy

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is something we're partially working on at our studio and it's interesting to say the least. Not as bad as you're thinking but it's been fun having games of people at our studio vs other ones.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

30v30 with 5 man platoons sounds like it could be pretty neat :shrug:

Anything that's bigger and more complex sounds cool, but in reality it's less fun. People play WoT because games generally last around 5 minutes and then you can start a new one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Prav posted:

frontline is extremely not campy

Because it's a Sandbox server where nothing counts.

CitizenKain posted:

They honestly need to set it up like Battlefield and have it be a match people drop in/out of. Lower reload/repair costs on the match so tier 10 players wouldn't lose their shorts on a match, and they could have something.

Sounds a lot like a riff on AW's "Global Ops," only with a dynamic join/quit system.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

dont worry WG never gives any incentive for anyone to play their new game modes and in fact dedicates more effort into sabotaging those new alternative game modes by making them terrible and not worth anyone's time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Agrajag posted:

dont worry WG never gives any incentive for anyone to play their new game modes and in fact dedicates more effort into sabotaging those new alternative game modes by making them terrible and not worth anyone's time.

"Okay, people - we've decided to give you something you've wanted for a long, long time. We're going to bring in the *Bastion* mode from WoWS, only instead of a stationary fortress that is no fun to shoot, we're going to put in AI-driven Rattes that *never miss*."

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Agrajag posted:

Introducing our new stronghold format that we hope will encourage participation! Also at the same time we are rolling out a great new daily rewards mission that will require hours of non-stronghold battles every day to complete!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just finished my 5th skill on my Cromwell B and I'm not sure what I should do with my Radio Operator and Loader who both have firefighting as their 5th skill.

The Radioman has access to Signal Boosting and Relaying which seem completely useless. He also has access to Call for Vengeance which seems somewhat useful but is a perk and requires the skill to be at 100%.

The Loader has access to Intuition and Adrenaline Rush. I'm not even sure how Intuition works but Adrenaline Rush sounds kind of cool. But once again its a perk that requires 100% skill level to function.

Assuming that I will never complete the six skill, is it worth resetting for any of these perks and then going with firefighting as the 6th skill since firefighting doesn't need to be at 100% in order to have some effect?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Hellsau posted:

draining off tier tens from the queues will really help random battles.

thats a good point.

NotWearingPants posted:

I just finished my 5th skill on my Cromwell B and I'm not sure what I should do with my Radio Operator and Loader who both have firefighting as their 5th skill.

The Radioman has access to Signal Boosting and Relaying which seem completely useless. He also has access to Call for Vengeance which seems somewhat useful but is a perk and requires the skill to be at 100%.

The Loader has access to Intuition and Adrenaline Rush. I'm not even sure how Intuition works but Adrenaline Rush sounds kind of cool. But once again its a perk that requires 100% skill level to function.

Assuming that I will never complete the six skill, is it worth resetting for any of these perks and then going with firefighting as the 6th skill since firefighting doesn't need to be at 100% in order to have some effect?

if they don't have repairs choose that otherwise looks like you run out of skillz aside from firefighting, do cromwells burn good?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Okay, people - we've decided to give you something you've wanted for a long, long time. We're going to bring in the *Bastion* mode from WoWS, only instead of a stationary fortress that is no fun to shoot, we're going to put in AI-driven Rattes that *never miss*."

Nothing like having the MVP of a match being a NPC. Fort a C on, I think the map was Hotspot, burned about 3/4 of the health off some battleships and straight up murdered a cruiser.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Fat Jesus posted:

thats a good point.

if they don't have repairs choose that otherwise looks like you run out of skillz aside from firefighting, do cromwells burn good?

yeah, they have repairs

Radioman: BIA, camo, repairs, sit awareness, firefighting
Loader: BIA, camo, repairs, safe stowage, firefighting

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

Adenaline Rush is a perk that has an extremely low chance of being relevant, but when it is relevant it's one of the most absurd boosts possible. Intuition and anything to do with signal range is useless, and some percentage of Firefighting is probably more useful than Call for Vengeance. I wouldn't bother spending the 100 gold to reset skills (you definitely cannot afford to credit reset since that'd be like 800 thousand experience wasted).

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Adenaline Rush is a perk that has an extremely low chance of being relevant, but when it is relevant it's one of the most absurd boosts possible. Intuition and anything to do with signal range is useless, and some percentage of Firefighting is probably more useful than Call for Vengeance. I wouldn't bother spending the 100 gold to reset skills (you definitely cannot afford to credit reset since that'd be like 800 thousand experience wasted).

thanks!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Finally got mastery in my Jagdpanther and finished TD-15! :toot:

http://wotreplays.com/site/3495230#erlenberg-herrcartoon-jagdpanther

It was one of those 'everything comes together' matches that included my team being terrible but not quite as terrible as the enemy who fed heavy tanks one at a time at me in cover with superior view range. The majority of my team lemming trained to the East and left me, an M7, KV1, T 67 and a T-50 to defend against: A T-29, 2xOI-exp, T28 Concept, KV-85, KV-3, SU 100Y, T25 AT and an FV 304. It wasn't long before I was alone on the West flank against all of those guys. Not before the KV1 bitched me out for 'not being an arty'. The T-29 was lucky as gently caress, I bounced three times off his hull somehow. By this time everything on my side in range was dead. I took out the SU 100Y and the rest of the team beat me to the last guy to deny me a top gun. Yay team!!

On crew retraining. When ever i get a new tank upgrade I want to train my crew with gold. The trouble is this is expensive if you are upgrading a bunch of tanks. I'm right in thinking this is the best use of gold though aren't I?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Steelion posted:

Scouts also tend to have better camo in general, so a net can be handy for when you want to be That rear end in a top hat who is sitting in a bush literally 100m from enemy tanks unspotted.

RIP pre-patch Roomba

Pouring one out

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

On crew retraining. When ever i get a new tank upgrade I want to train my crew with gold. The trouble is this is expensive if you are upgrading a bunch of tanks. I'm right in thinking this is the best use of gold though aren't I?

The best use of gold is swapping equipment up tiers so you aren't tying up tons of credits buying lots of equipment during sales. The second best use is resetting skills, since you lose vast amounts of experience by dropping skills after like halfway through the second skill.

Retraining with gold to a new tank is fine. However, you only lose about 40k XP by credit retraining. That's a lot, but if you've packed 40k XP into an unchosen skill, that will fill in what you lose by credit retraining. If you have a compatible premium and a bunch of XP and Crew XP boosters laying around, you can probably make that 10% back in ten games. The real killer is if you're bringing up a crew that doesn't have Sixth Sense or Safe Stowage yet, since every 40k you lose pushes those vital perks back a lot, so in those cases maybe gold train the commander, gunner and loader and credit train the driver and radio op? Oh also don't bother gold training radio operators ever, their skills are super minor.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Played my first game in the JPZ-E100.

http://wotreplays.com/site/3495316#teams

Nothing amazing but this seems like it could be good fun for a joke tank.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Oh also don't bother gold training radio operators ever, their skills are super minor.

well they do get situational awareness.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

WG said they were working on redoing skills and perks and it would happen SOOOOON, this was like last year?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
soon means 2019 ..like no joke..

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Fat Jesus posted:

WG said they were working on redoing skills and perks and it would happen SOOOOON, this was like last year?

Yea, just like they were working on having Sixth Sense built into a crew member. That's been planned for..2 years now?
Wargaming: We want to fail!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nerses IV posted:

I guess I posted here more than I thought

This is part me having a ridiculous memory and partially due to the fact that there aren't that many tanks goons, particularly anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who recognized you.

SocketWrench posted:

I don't think you'd like that. They'd come up with something stupid like everything in each tier has the same ammo, mobility, damage, and view range. So everything in each tier would be the same damned thing but just look different

As opposed to us being in love with anything else Wargaming has come up with? :v:

McGavin posted:

StrokerMcGavin (3:09:35 PM) please uninstall
StrokerMcGavin (3:09:58 PM) 59 damage in a top tier E 75
StrokerMcGavin (3:10:07 PM) uninstall
gcarsen (3:14:21 PM) GO gently caress YOURSELF<<<<<<
StrokerMcGavin (3:18:16 PM) nah
StrokerMcGavin (3:19:05 PM) seriously though, what's it like losing your way to tier 9?
StrokerMcGavin (3:19:34 PM) you are literally worse than a bot
StrokerMcGavin (3:20:40 PM) were you born without hands and have to play by rolling your face along the keyboard?

Fun fact, my survival rate is almost as high as that shitter's win rate! :v: He even has a few thousand more battles than me!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I feel people aren't getting the full World of Tanks experience without these people yelling out racial slurs and "CUUUUUUUCKED" every time they die or kill someone, respectively.

That's how I play every day, what's the big deal? :shrug:

ROFLburger posted:

I think I had/have a few on some of the low-tier Soviet LTs, the ones that can use a removed governor but are prone to engine damage with their use. Some of those LTs have like 30-40+ specific power and can really haul rear end up hills with the removed governor, and the filter lets you do it without immediately blowing out the engine. Also, the low-tier tanks don't have a whole lot of essential equipment that you'd want to mount anyway.

Beyond low-tiers, no, there's no reason to equip a Cyclone.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Imagine a bowl map, say mega-Mittengard, with 60 tier 10s. :getin:

I don't play tier 10s.

CitizenKain posted:

I think this'd work: you play for as long as you want and cash out at the end, paying for your repairs and ammo usage and getting credited the balance from damage done. It'd basically be like Team Deathmatch in Quake or whatever. It certainly seems like it'd be a more chill game mode with possibly less toxicity since the stakes are lower (you're not playing for a win as much as for damage.)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Fun fact, my survival rate is almost as high as that shitter's win rate! :v: He even has a few thousand more battles than me!

A few battles after the one with that genius I got stuck with an E 100 with a 39.98% overall win rate on my team. He died without doing any damage. :downsbravo:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

They've been 'planning' a skill rework since 2013.

Atomizer posted:

This is part me having a ridiculous memory and partially due to the fact that there aren't that many tanks goons, particularly anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who recognized you.

Naw I remember PlaidPony because "Nerses IV" is as far away from PlaidPony as possible, and at some point Nerses posted a really good replay or something. Good times. We should all quit playing World of Tanks.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Hellsau posted:

We should all quit playing World of Tanks.

I already did, though I had a good excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Imagine a bowl map, say mega-Mittengard, with 60 tier 10s. :getin:

I don't play tier 10s.

We don't have to imagine it, think Province which wasn't locked to lower tier at the start.
Is it still in the game?
I only play 8-9s nowadays so :shrug: