Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I only ever had one transformers toy and it was a really cruddy one imo. It was "orcanoch" which was an orca that transformed into....this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm ready to buy Bayonetta for the third time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not since it would probably run worse than the PS3 version on my lovely old pc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't want it since I have the wii u collection of 1 & 2 but I'm curious if the steam version will have any exclusives so I'm excited to see what they'd have

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Captain invictus, I know there is that decepticon train. Are there other train transformers, and if so, what are they

Besides the knockoff thomas the tank engine ones obviously
There's been a few. Such as Rail Racer

There is also, of course, Astrotrain.

Sakurazuka posted:

The only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Aerialbots, Ramjet, Megatron and that Jetfire toy that was a repainted Valkyrie from Macross.
They redid Jetfire, and not only does he look QUITE A BIT like a Valkyrie still, but he also comes with a face mask to give him the Valkyrie mech head as well.

Nate RFB posted:

I had a variety of Transformers but I can't recall which ones specifically, other than I was definitely able to build the original Devastator by individually buying all of the constructicons. They have since been lost to time, I have no idea where they are now.
They recently released an incredible Devastator update and is easily one of the best official transformers ever made. The individual bots aren't perfect, but the star of the show himself sure is. He's designed to hold basically any pose, his joints are insanely strong.

Basically, the last few years, it has been a VERY good time to be a Transformers fan, especially if you enjoy the comics, they're the best they've ever been by a wide margin, probably the best fiction Transformers has ever had and makes it more than just ~4 million year long robot war~. The Beast Wars Masterpieces are apparently really good too, I wasn't able to get in on the preorders for them in time though.

edit: the mighty max-style beast wars playsets were total butt

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember when I was a kid I would go to my neighbor's house and watch beast wars with him in the morning before going to school. One day his mom came in and said "you know, I don't like you two watching such a violent show." I said to her "it's not violent" because I'd never even seen any major violence in it, just standard kids cartoon lasers and stuff. Literally the moment I said that the show isn't violent, someone clawed open Optimus Primal's chest.

also, Rail Racer looks really cool and I hope he is, in fact, really cool.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

FirstAidKite posted:

also, Rail Racer looks really cool and I hope he is, in fact, really cool.

Rail Racer looks like a robot from some sort of train-themed super robot anime, rather than a transformer. Maybe all three trains are driven by scrappy 11 year olds.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I used to have two Happy Meal transformers, one of a burger and one of a milkshake.

https://twitter.com/Sorcerobe/status/850697253220044800

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bayonetta trending in 2017. What a time to be alive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The best kind of April Fools joke.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did they ever put out the bayo amiibo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Still waiting on Bayo and Cloud.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

I only ever had one transformers toy and it was a really cruddy one imo. It was "orcanoch" which was an orca that transformed into....this

...a cat tree?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

having still not fired up my gift copy of nier automata yet for various miscellaneous reasons i might drop the $20 on bayonetta and play that instead

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cowcaster posted:

having still not fired up my gift copy of nier automata yet for various miscellaneous reasons i might drop the $20 on bayonetta and play that instead

Haven't played Automata yet, but Bayonetta is a fantastic game. Can't really go wrong there.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Real hurthling! posted:

No :c

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The max setting footage on PC looks really drat good. I missed Bayonetta last generation so I think I'll get this sooner than later.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they're probably trying to get sega to make them or pay for them and sega doesn't want to

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They aren't really comparable. Nier is an RPG with surprisingly unsucky controls, a bleak wrenching story, and minimalist artsy graphics. Bayonetta is a brawler with near-perfect controls, an over-the-top batshit story, and a visual style that's a 3D animated version of that poo poo gently caress drat gif.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bayonetta :hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HoSdUmIgAE

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Real hurthling! posted:

They're probably waiting for Smash Bros. 4 Switch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gently caress I need to close that window or I'll be listening to Bayonetta music for the rest of the day

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been playing some Diablo 3. I hosed around with it a bit way back when it first came out on 360, but I hadn't seen any of the changes since Reaper of Souls. It's definitely a much better game now, loot in particular is much more interesting. That said, it's really easy now. I feel like the problem with diablo-likes is that if you're playing with 4 people there's so much poo poo going off during every battle that they have to make it hard to die or you'd just constantly be getting wiped by attacks you couldn't even see.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FirstAidKite posted:

I read some of jim sterling's 2/10 review of yooka laylee since I think yooka laylee is coming out today and I'm excited for it and I wanted to see what he didn't like about it and drat, a lot of his complaints are things that I am just fine with and didn't see as complaint at all. It just sounds like he's not a fan of collectathon platformers in general but there were several times in his review I was just like "wait why is this a bad thing" or "but this wasn't an issue with banjo kazooie"

like, ok, maybe it's just me, but a lot of it comes off as whining for the sake of whining or whining about things that people were expecting and hoping the game would do such as "be a collectathon where you explore worlds to find stuff." Yeah he's just a game reviewer so I shouldn't care but his whole rant still reads just...overly nitpicky??

It's the game entirely appealing to nostalgia, being reviewed by the guy who despises nostalgia. What did you expect?

But I watched the GB quicklook of the game, and I think I could see a lot of those exact same criticisms you bolded. Sterling is just characteristically harsh and un-tactful about it. The combat did look pretty brainless, and Rykert was also talking about no map or other way to navigate the convoluted world easily leading to a lot of wasted time.

I have zero love for the N64, Rare platformers, or any banjo-kazooie game, because I never played any of that stuff. If I played yooka laylee I might give it a pretty low score as well. OTOH I had no problem with the 'mwah-mwah-mwah' talk and thought the writing was cute, so maybe not 2/10.

Most outlets have reviewers who like a game, or at least that style of game, review it. Sterling picks whatever's prominent and reviews it, and if he hates it well tough. I don't know that it's very useful, but it's what he does and at least the honestly is refreshing. (Unless he's turning the hate-beam on something you like ofc.)

quote:

idk. games journalism. :shrug:
no, garme jurnalizm!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I skipped around the gb QL and that boss with the rolling logs looked pretty garbo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

I've been playing some Diablo 3. I hosed around with it a bit way back when it first came out on 360, but I hadn't seen any of the changes since Reaper of Souls. It's definitely a much better game now, loot in particular is much more interesting. That said, it's really easy now. I feel like the problem with diablo-likes is that if you're playing with 4 people there's so much poo poo going off during every battle that they have to make it hard to die or you'd just constantly be getting wiped by attacks you couldn't even see.

The difficulty is completely modular, most people level on Hard/Master and are capable of starting Torment I shortly after hitting 70 on any character. For normal difficulties it goes up to Torment XIII and for Greater Rifts, which are Diablo's infinitely scaling dungeons, there is theoretically no limit as to how hard it can get. Most classes in endgame sets can solo up to GR90 and beyond, or well into the 100s in full groups (for reference, T13 is roughly equivalent to GR60).

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Klyith posted:

But I watched the GB quicklook of the game, and I think I could see a lot of those exact same criticisms you bolded. Sterling is just characteristically harsh and un-tactful about it. The combat did look pretty brainless, and Rykert was also talking about no map or other way to navigate the convoluted world easily leading to a lot of wasted time.

What the gently caress is exploration? Please give me a map with icons all over it and a gigantic golden arrow floating in the air pointing in the single direction it's possible to go.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Adam Bowen posted:

What the gently caress is exploration? Please give me a map with icons all over it and a gigantic golden arrow floating in the air pointing in the single direction it's possible to go.

If those are the only two options, yes, I would take an ubisoft map over a game with no map that requires repeated visits to large maze-like levels.

Exploration is discovering something new. Getting back to something you've already been to, but have difficulty finding because you haven't yet memorized the world like Ulillia, is frustrating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh. Oh, Bayonetta PC is out right now according to the steam store. Huh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

Looks like I know what I'm going to play after Persona! (so probably in May)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

loving bought. I double dipped. The only version I had was the ps3 version of this game. I"m so glad it came to PC.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

idk. games journalism. :shrug:

Journalists don't have personas and costumes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I read some of jim sterling's 2/10 review of yooka laylee since I think yooka laylee is coming out today and I'm excited for it and I wanted to see what he didn't like about it and drat, a lot of his complaints are things that I am just fine with and didn't see as complaint at all. It just sounds like he's not a fan of collectathon platformers in general but there were several times in his review I was just like "wait why is this a bad thing" or "but this wasn't an issue with banjo kazooie"

like, ok, maybe it's just me, but a lot of it comes off as whining for the sake of whining or whining about things that people were expecting and hoping the game would do such as "be a collectathon where you explore worlds to find stuff." Yeah he's just a game reviewer so I shouldn't care but his whole rant still reads just...overly nitpicky??

You might find the Easy Allies review more helpful. Their reviewer approached it sort of more like, "How does this do by the standards of the 3D collectathon platformers that I enjoy?" I think Sterling looked at it as a standalone thing and as someone who isn't necessarily sold on its genre or the entire concept of nostalgia, so I think the potential flaws inherent in the genre are more of a big deal to him than they might be to you if you're just super into that genre already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiuYNE5dKhQ

Guy Mann posted:

Sure, but he doesn't use those for his reviews. His reviews are gimmick-free.

(That said, at the risk of reviving this discussion I've stupidly started more than once, I'd probably use the term "games criticism" instead of "games journalism" to describe reviewers, or at least reviewers who at least try to write good reviews.)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Guy Mann posted:

They should though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Guy Mann posted:

So Jim Sterling is the Hunter S. Thompson of video games, got it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shindragon posted:

loving bought. I double dipped. The only version I had was the ps3 version of this game. I"m so glad it came to PC.

You're in for a treat, the PS3 version was garbage.

I have 2 copies of Bayonetta but one of them came free with B2 so I don't think that counts as double dipping.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guy Mann posted:

umm what are you talking about yeah they do

at least the ones that report in any type of video format

so put that in your peace pipe, mister

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think someone linked a guy who does reviews as a muppet or something once

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

I think someone linked a guy who does reviews as a muppet or something once

thats Arlo. he says embarrassing poo poo all the time so the puppet is probably a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

thats Arlo. he says embarrassing poo poo all the time so the puppet is probably a good idea.

isn't the puppet a vastly more embarrassing way to come across though

• Locked thread