Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, he bounces off all the other gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Some hot takes on the new spoilers:

Zombies are sick, Nissa is not good, Green God is loving stupid and very good. His pump ability means all you need is a freaking bear to enable him. He also attacks for a ton of damage and has some flavor text about having death touch because he's a snake. But really, that card is gonna mess people up.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

Well that's just nuts. It can turn itself on (adding 7 power to the board) for 3 mana as long as you control any 3-power creature.
It works with 2 power, so even just a turn 2 bear lets them swing turn 4

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Why does a 5/5 beater need death touch? What is this losing in combat to?

Metalwork Colossus (lol)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Well that's just nuts. It can turn itself on (adding 7 power to the board) for 3 mana as long as you control any 3-power creature. You don't even have to attack with the other creatures, you can just start slamming with an indestructible 5/5 on turn 4. What blocks that? I guess it doesn't have trample itself, so they can keep chumping it with tokens or something, realistically you're probably swinging with it and a 5/3 trample at least. Snake God is a beating.

5/2 Trample. (Scrapheap Scrounger.) It also just comes down on curve to crew your HoK...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Deathtouch on big creatures is not redundant because it punishes otherwise favorable double-blocks. Of course, this guy happens to also be indestructible making that pointless.
--

The most surprising thing about Nissa to me is not the unusual design, but rather that a core Gatewatch member went gold.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Snek might find a place in Modern somewhere, he turns on pretty quick and he's fairly efficient at punching in for damage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
He also dodges Grasp, holy poo poo.

Is there anything in the format that answers him beyond, like, pacifism effects?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Guys a 5/5 deathtouch indestructible for 3 is fine, but desert is way too strong to reprint

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

Is there anything in the format that answers him beyond, like, pacifism effects?

Dec in Stone? Anguished Unmaking? Counterspells? The new instant speed cycling Oblivion Ring? Stasis Snare?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Jabor posted:

Killing everything else I guess

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Firebatgyro posted:

Guys a 5/5 deathtouch indestructible for 3 is fine, but desert is way too strong to reprint

Desert makes combat math miserable and slows the game down, it's good they didn't reprint it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

New Gideon, -1 counters, blocking with a God or insect tokens, board sweepers.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Your answer to Snake God should not be sweepers or blocking it. It's pretty trivial to turn this guy on so you're going to want to answer it on a more permanent basis.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think Snek might find a place in Modern somewhere, he turns on pretty quick and he's fairly efficient at punching in for damage.

I thought that it would be an interesting 1 of in suicide jund due to the synergy with big/cheap creature and the ability to give trample to one of them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Stasis Snare is still a card.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

That guy is super high on the groan test for limited though. The four power guy doesn't even have to attack with him.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I couldn't tell you why, but I feel like Fragmentize is going to be a main deck card in AKH standard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Alaan posted:

That guy is super high on the groan test for limited though. The four power guy doesn't even have to attack with him.

Yeah, unless you are already imminently winning with fliers or something, seeing Snek God hit the board is just going to be miserable. Basically any other creature turns him on and good luck keeping an indestructible 5/5 at bay for long. The deathtouch even matters, 'cause it's not uncommon to have a 5/6 or a 6/6 or something as a top end in a limited deck, and that would normally hold off a big threat like this.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Card is very good if not almost broken. Going to have to try playtesting one in Abzan, because Gideon turns him on very easily and it isn't hard to get a snake or Rishkar to 4 power.

I don't think it is a format warping card like Gideon is though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GeneX posted:

There's almost certainly going to be some "desert matters" cards in the next set, so maybe this is just an enabler

Yeah Maro said in the last Making Magic that it's a small subtheme in this set that gets expanded on in HoD

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mcmagic posted:

Why does a 5/5 beater need death touch? What is this losing in combat to?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

3 of the 5 mainstay PWs in a single set. They've since got the memo, but again, what were they thinking? Don't copy cat the hero model. Be trendsetters yourself. Recognize what drew people in and what allowed the game to soar in popularity in the first place.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Recognize what drew people in and what allowed the game to soar in popularity in the first place.

I don't think we can have Ravnica block after Ravnica block.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They should just relegate the Jacetice league to intro deck walkers while putting the spicy poo poo in the actual set. Everybody wins!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Half a doubling season?

Even if this is bad people will try to build around it.
This kind of card is catnip for Johnnies.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That Nissa and green god seem good.
And is that... half of doubling season?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This and any embalm creature

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Well, colorshifted Parallel Lives more accurately.

Hmm, works with clues? I'll try it and lose horribly.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

Requiring you to have cards in hand sucks because it rewards you for not playing your spells. It also only exists in this set on a single Mythic, as far as we've seen.

Hellbent, on the other hand, has always played well, and this time around it's even more lenient. It's going to be good.

I agree, cards which require you to have a full hand are bad. Thats why WotC should remove Library of Alexandria from the reserved list.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Is that a youtube time bar? I wish it would go on a bit to a different card.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I think green god might deserve a slot as a one-of in abzan company. Pump one of your random stupid grizzly bears or double pump a bird and get in there.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uninverted posted:

I think green god might deserve a slot as a one-of in abzan company. Pump one of your random stupid grizzly bears or double pump a bird and get in there.

Or you know, Gavony Township with finks unpersisted asa combat trick.
Wow what a neat God.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Man, you would think wizards would have learned their lesson with 2 cmc plainswalkers with jace.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Man, you would think wizards would have learned their lesson with 2 cmc plainswalkers with jace.

This is a 3 CMC walker. You can't play it for 2.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

This is a 3 CMC walker. You can't play it for 2.

I think you'll find that the cmc of the card is 2 and also it is legal to play it for 2.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

I think you'll find that the cmc of the card is 2 and also it is legal to play it for 2.

I mean, if you really need to pump your goyf for 2 mana, knock yourself out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

I mean, if you really need to pump your goyf for 2 mana, knock yourself out.

I don't know why you have to be so snippy. Engineered Explosives needs 2 charge counters to get her. Mindshrieker gets +2/+2.

She's a 2-CMC planeswalker card. This is a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Pretty sure Nissa is busted. She lets you deploy 2 threats at once if played late, acts as card selection/ramp early, and can come down as a hasty finisher. She basically has lovely cascade.

That said, she does want a banty deck that plays lots of creatures rather than straight UG

• Locked thread