Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
been having an issue with the audio in my moto g4. For the last day or so, I haven't really been hearing any audio at all until I reboot into safe mode. is there any way I can pinpoint what's muting my phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

dhamster posted:

been having an issue with the audio in my moto g4. For the last day or so, I haven't really been hearing any audio at all until I reboot into safe mode. is there any way I can pinpoint what's muting my phone?

Safe mode disables third party apps so you know it's something you've installed. Delete recent apps one by one until it stops happening.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So they would claim it through Paypal or something?

Yes. Don't do it. Only sell if they use the Buy It Now option.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So this is a first, had terribly poo poo battery life overnight while I slept. Don't think I've ever seen it this bad without a wakelock or screen on. My new Pebble 2 is also having issues staying connected to my Pixel, which is a bummer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13sR9gwmUheZuRH0VQiwastnPkHaxOa3WJQ/view?usp=sharing

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yes. Don't do it. Only sell if they use the Buy It Now option.

And then just have eBay screw you instead when a buyer claims to have not received it

gently caress selling anything on ebay these days, the buyer can claim whatever and they will always side with them

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How should I get rid of it then?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How should I get rid of it then?

i see people talking about swappa all the time?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Thermopyle posted:

i see people talking about swappa all the time?

Does it offer seller protection as well? I really don't want stroked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/10/15236138/moto-z-play-battery-life

This is almost an exact echo of an article that was on Droid Life a few weeks back. It seems that people REALLY like their Moto Z Play phones due to the insane battery life.

It's worth it to note that the G5+ has the same internals with just a slightly smaller battery.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

17 days since I've been using my brand new Pixel XL and I've had to restart it around 4 or 5 times today. Not including the few times that it froze and was unresponsive for about 30-40 seconds. 2 days past the pathetic 15-day return window and there's a reason I kept my iPhone 7 Plus around just in case.

I'm actually really starting to enjoy the things that Android offers that iOS does not. But if the phone isn't stable and shits out on me at random points in the day, then what the gently caress good is it?

Have you tried a solid hard reset to wipe everything and see if that clears up anything? Also reflashing a factory image straight from Google wouldn't hurt either just incase an update came through half baked or something.

Also anytime you sell anything I ship, I always make a video of me putting everything in the box, taping the box up, and handing it to the guy at UPS and him giving me the receipt with tracking number.

Try and say I didn't ship you the product. I dare you. :smug:

Though, it really does suck that it had to come to this because people suck.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like how we're giving advice on how not to get scammed to someone who is trying to scam someone by selling a known defective device because he is too lazy to call Google.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I like how we're giving advice on how not to get scammed to someone who is trying to scam someone by selling a known defective device because he is too lazy to call Google.

This..... Is true.

Dude you can contact Google directly through Chat or Phone from the settings menu ffs. Just give them a hit and I am sure you will get a New device as you are way the heck under the first 30day window.

Or you could try and go back to where you got it and see if they will help you out even though you're at 17 days. That is pretty close and pretty lovely if your experience is as bad as you say it is and they won't swap it out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think of it as loading effort into an ultimately futile enterprise since he'll get caught. Some of the stuff he was asking about earlier was some real shaggy dog poo poo so I just assumed he was loving with people.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I think you're confusing two different posters? The eBay question was about an S7.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

They mos def confusing people. I had to go back and read because I felt like I was taking crazy pills

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, you're right. There was someone else asking about eBay. Although 4 posts above ShoogaSlim (not the eBay dude) was asking for advice on how to sell his defective phone that's still under warranty. My bad, but easily confused.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 11, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Swappa is really good. I've sold a lot on there and have had no issues.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Have you tried a solid hard reset to wipe everything and see if that clears up anything? Also reflashing a factory image straight from Google wouldn't hurt either just incase an update came through half baked or something.

Also anytime you sell anything I ship, I always make a video of me putting everything in the box, taping the box up, and handing it to the guy at UPS and him giving me the receipt with tracking number.

Try and say I didn't ship you the product. I dare you. :smug:

Though, it really does suck that it had to come to this because people suck.

You should not have to even think about reflashing a brand new phone, just have Google send you a new one.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I agree. However after getting the RMA process going, you have a little time and it takes literally minutes to flash a full image and give it a whirl.

I ran into the opposite issue where my original device new in box comes out looking like it was banged against a metal desk on its edges a few times before they got it all boxed up. That really sucks when you dish out $700+ for a phone and it comes out looking like the guy who made it dropped it a few times first. :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You didn't happen to install some lovely virus protection app did you?

I wanna know this

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

What version of bonzi buddy do you have installed

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/10/15236138/moto-z-play-battery-life

This is almost an exact echo of an article that was on Droid Life a few weeks back. It seems that people REALLY like their Moto Z Play phones due to the insane battery life.

It's worth it to note that the G5+ has the same internals with just a slightly smaller battery.

It's an amazing freedom to just not have to worry about how charged your phone is throughout the day. No more always having a mains charger, or battery pack, or remembering to plug it in in the car. The Mate 9 is just as impressive. I've hit over 8 hours of SOT in a 20 hour day and still had 22% battery life remaining. 2/3's of that is usually watching streaming video. The new Honor 8 Pro/P10 should be similarly awesome.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Hey whoa whoa. My Pixel is brand-new from the official Google Store. I'm not trying to pawn off a lovely used phone onto someone else.

My hesitation with replacing it through Google is that I've seen/heard horror stories about getting crappy refurbed Pixel's in the mail in a plain box where the Pixel's screen is cracked or whatever.

I did not install any anti-virus whatever stuff. I'm also being a lovely brat and not wanting to hard reset and flash my phone after owning it only barely over two weeks, but I suppose it can't hurt to try.

If some people here are saying I should get a new phone from Google after initiating the exchange, I'll just do that. gently caress it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Hey whoa whoa. My Pixel is brand-new from the official Google Store. I'm not trying to pawn off a lovely used phone onto someone else.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Well, gently caress. This just means that I'll end up with a potentially lovely refurb, right? Perhaps unethical but couldn't I just flip it on Craigslist for close to the asking price instead of getting a refurb that I couldn't sell for as much?

Where's the giant roll-eyes smiley puking roll-eyes when you need it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My first Pixel XL had half the screen turn to static after a month or so. I contacted Google and they shipped me a brand new replacement. You might as well give it a try.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Pixel XL has been fine but I did once get my Nexus 5 replaced within a couple weeks from the Play Store and they overnighted a brand new one to me (internationally too, so much more expensive shipping, thanks GOOG).

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Where's the giant roll-eyes smiley puking roll-eyes when you need it.

Not pawning a lovely used phone, just a lovely BRAND NEW phone :dukedoge:

PS, Google chat support suffers from that "reading from a script" syndrome. Just get to the loving point, guy!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I had the 5x bootloop thing on a Sunday, had a new one early Tuesday morning

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Not pawning a lovely used phone, just a lovely BRAND NEW phone :dukedoge:

PS, Google chat support suffers from that "reading from a script" syndrome. Just get to the loving point, guy!

What the gently caress are you talking about? You even questioned the ethics of it. gently caress off. Ever since you started posting in this thread you've been an annoying, whiny, shady piece of poo poo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just send the loving thing in for warranty replacement you idiot

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I feel like people are extremely unwilling to think outside of their own personal experiences here. For those being unnecessarily hostile, please realize that buying a smartphone is a hefty purchase and comes with a certain degree of expectation that it should work reasonably well after spending almost a thousand dollars and waiting a loving month for.

Google's return policy specifies 15 days. It's after 15 days so my assumption is that I can't do anything with it except shove it up my rear end or sell it to someone else. When the idea of exchanging it was presented, I immediately thought about those lovely refurb videos I saw and obviously don't want to replace my ~850 dollar device with a crappy refurb with a diminished value.

Further, I'm trying to talk to this goober retard from Google about my issue and he suggested keeping my phone in Safe Mode while driving. Are you loving mental? I told him I can't do that and need to exchange the device and was just told that I need to factory restore it (fair suggestion that echoes ones in this thread) but very quickly moved away from the idea of an exchange.

Now, if you precious little goon idiots could step outside your own biased little brains for a second and realize I'm having a pretty lousy consumer experience here, you'll realize that your anecdotes of things working perfectly for you obviously don't loving apply.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Iirc your did the same thing in the iPhone thread bruh

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ShoogaSlim posted:

I feel like people are extremely unwilling to think outside of their own personal experiences here. For those being unnecessarily hostile, please realize that buying a smartphone is a hefty purchase and comes with a certain degree of expectation that it should work reasonably well after spending almost a thousand dollars and waiting a loving month for.

Google's return policy specifies 15 days. It's after 15 days so my assumption is that I can't do anything with it except shove it up my rear end or sell it to someone else. When the idea of exchanging it was presented, I immediately thought about those lovely refurb videos I saw and obviously don't want to replace my ~850 dollar device with a crappy refurb with a diminished value.

Further, I'm trying to talk to this goober retard from Google about my issue and he suggested keeping my phone in Safe Mode while driving. Are you loving mental? I told him I can't do that and need to exchange the device and was just told that I need to factory restore it (fair suggestion that echoes ones in this thread) but very quickly moved away from the idea of an exchange.

Now, if you precious little goon idiots could step outside your own biased little brains for a second and realize I'm having a pretty lousy consumer experience here, you'll realize that your anecdotes of things working perfectly for you obviously don't loving apply.

Stop posting and click here: https://support.google.com/store/troubleshooter/3070579?hl=en

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Thank you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno man, works for me

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I was also asked to factory reset mine, but after explaining I wouldn't be able to log back in with half the keyboard not visible they made an exception.
I think if you contact them through the settings option they can do some additional diagnostics, that might get you a replacement with less hassle.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
And you don't need to make excuses if you just want to get rid of the phone and go back to iOS. We give no fucks. It's weirder if you dance around the issue.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Appreciate the insight. My first Chat was through the device and it was suggested that I factory reset. I'm not talking to someone through Chrome and they're telling me that they're tied by Google's policy to perform a reset first before offering an exchange. I get it. It's just a huge hassle because my phone is all authenticated with my IT department at work. Not the end of the world but since I'm a big dumb baby obviously I'm gonna huff and puff about it.

mod sassinator posted:

And you don't need to make excuses if you just want to get rid of the phone and go back to iOS. We give no fucks. It's weirder if you dance around the issue.

That's the thing. I kinda don't want to do that. I still dick around on my iPhone when testing stuff out and I've grown to really appreciate how fast Android moves compared to iOS. Switching between apps and pulling notifications down feels like it takes forever on iOS. Granted, I did enable faster animations through the developer settings on Android. I can't imagine switching those on could have rendered the phone to a state of locking up on me multiple times a day. I could be wrong. I'm actually often very wrong. Any insight is appreciated despite my tantrums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're not returning it, it's a problem that you need warranty service/replacement for. Stop being an idiot. If you're not happy with the replacement from Google, you can get another loving replacement. I went through 3 on my N5. You're being so obtuse about this whole thing.