Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
For people talking about Digital vs Physical on Switch, does the Switch still have the "can't decide where to install + can't move data once installed" problem I vaguely remember people saying before? I'd like to buy a SD card and get things digitally but I don't want to deal with any nonsense like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ventana posted:

For people talking about Digital vs Physical on Switch, does the Switch still have the "can't decide where to install + can't move data once installed" problem I vaguely remember people saying before? I'd like to buy a SD card and get things digitally but I don't want to deal with any nonsense like that.

It installs to the system memory until you put in a SD card and then it installs to the SD card. You don't have any control over that unless you pull/insert the SD card before the game downloads and installs.

Once it's installed, you can't move it around.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It automatically installs to the SD card. If that's not there it installs to internal memory.

If you want to move between the two for some reason, you need to archive the software to remove it from wherever it is, then download again with either your SD card in or out depending on where you want it. There's no real reason to ever do that unless you are a speedrunner and the couple secs loading time difference is important.

All saves go to internal memory.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a little disappointed about the Bayonetta announcement, but I'll be OK replaying it on PC in a few years I guess.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

parallelodad posted:

According to my Switch, my internal memory is 100% clear, and all of my data is on the SD card.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

parallelodad posted:

This is interesting to me... so if I delete a game from my system memory and redownload it to my SD, will the save remain on internal memory? Or is it set up the Nintendo way to delete everything, including save data, when a game is deleted from (either) memory?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The save data stays but you can go manually delete it.

To the person above saying you see no save data in your internal memory, it's under a different menu.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This seems like it will suit my needs thanks for the heads up.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

parallelodad posted:

I've instituted a new game policy with the Switch to keep me from spending too much money. I've hit 11 games now. New rule: I can't buy a game until I finish another game. I've finished Zelda, Blaster Master, World of Goo, and 2/3 campaigns in Shovel Knight. And I'm on the last world in Bomberman and Snake Pass. So I'll have plenty of room to buy new ones coming up. Hopefully for once I won't have an unreasonable backlog.

I'm not sure when to count something like Fast RMX, Voez, or Neo Turf Masters "finished" though. Unlock all tracks/vehicles? Do all 18 holes on all courses?

In the queue: Snipperclips, Graceful Explosion Machine

Don't do that poo poo, play games until they stop being fun. That's when they're "finished".

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

zenintrude posted:

Bayonetta 2 forever alone on Wii U

its ok nobody but wiiu owners can love bayo2 as she deserves

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got my Switch back.They replaced the screen, hopefully this one doesn't melt off like the last one. It was weird because as I was coming home, I saw a UPS truck and thought "I wonder if my Switch is on that truck." And then it went directly to my house.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Katana Gomai posted:

Don't do that poo poo, play games until they stop being fun. That's when they're "finished".

I still struggle with this!!! Knowing I have 500 games ill never play on steam from my bundle phase has kept me up a few nights and severely impacted me anxiety wise on more than one occasion.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This seems like it will suit my needs thanks for the heads up.

np buddy. i got one today too

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Two quick Qs:

What's the dealio with car adapters? I'm going on a cross country road trip in a couple weeks and wanna play my Switch. Are there better ones, shittier ones, ones that might mess up my car battery? I've never used an adapter for something that sucks as much power as the Switch.

Secondly, when you put in an SD card is it locked and you need to transfer everything if you wanna upgrade? Or can I have multiple cards and switch them out willy-nilly like for the Vita?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You should be able to swap out the SD card. When you take the SD card out, it just says you'll have to download any games that aren't on that card.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Nintendo is going to talk about online services this week

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I know this has been discussed on previous pages but I don't want to go digging through:

Is there a thread consensus on best carrying case? I am flying to China in two weeks and would like to get one for the trip.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

I know this has been discussed on previous pages but I don't want to go digging through:

Is there a thread consensus on best carrying case? I am flying to China in two weeks and would like to get one for the trip.

If you need to pack everything, this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N23OP50/

Just the Switch and games, this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MY9JB2U/

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Awesome, thanks!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah, with both Spla2n and ARMS being discussed, and MK8 soon, tomorrow would be a good time to actually discuss online. I'm betting that E3 is going to be a huge VC dump. Surprise with the announcement and they sock it to us by saying it will launch later that day or something. Then announce Smash.

Boom, N wins E3

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Guy A. Person posted:

Awesome, thanks!

ADVcer Nintendo Switch Carrying Case, EVA Waterproof Hard Shield Protective Travel Case with Detachable Hand Wrist Strap for Nintendo Switch Console with Joy-Con Controller and Game Card (Gray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDZVM4J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kOq7ybZXW1FWE

This is actually the best case, slimmer, same strength, holds more, cheaper. Doesn't look like child's toy box.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Beastie posted:

Yeah, with both Spla2n and ARMS being discussed, and MK8 soon, tomorrow would be a good time to actually discuss online. I'm betting that E3 is going to be a huge VC dump. Surprise with the announcement and they sock it to us by saying it will launch later that day or something. Then announce Smash.

Boom, N wins E3

Counterpoint: its gonna be metroid federation force 2 lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would pay up to $20 a month for a VC that has all Nintendo first party games available ala netflix.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nintendo make an official Switch car charger if you can find it.

Pretty cheap as well from memory

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

eonwe posted:

np buddy. i got one today too

Maybe I'm old but this price just floors me. I have a high speed 64GB in my Switch and I'm debating getting 128 because why not? :parrot:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
What's my best bet for getting a charger than doesn't tie me to the wall while I'm playing handheld?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
wireless electricity

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks for the answers, dudes.

If I just get a USB cable that fits the Switch can I plug it into my USB car phone charger? Or is there some tech in a Switch car charger that makes it special?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kraven Moorhed posted:

What's my best bet for getting a charger than doesn't tie me to the wall while I'm playing handheld?

Electrocute yourself and stock up on bio-electricity then just rub your hands all over the Switch while you play to charge it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mario is getting a board game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's cute

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

The Switch can charge via any USB-C cable. In fact, the cable that comes with the Pro Controller can also be used to charge the system. The thing to factor in is the power draw. I think the Switch power adapter pulls in 2 Amps, which is pretty beefy, double what a mobile phone or iPad charger pulls in. Since I like to minimize when I travel I just bring the cable along and charge whenever I can, even if it's a low-amperage plug.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kashuno posted:

I would pay up to $20 a month for a VC that has all Nintendo first party games available ala netflix.

Good news! You're going to pay slightly less for a lot less.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

Counterpoint: I won't buy them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zenintrude posted:

lol

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

zenintrude posted:

I would totally pay $20/mo for the option to play such timeless classics as "Wrecking Crew" and "Urban Champion."

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Electrocute yourself and stock up on bio-electricity then just rub your hands all over the Switch while you play to charge it.

whaley posted:

wireless electricity

While I'm on board with both of these, I was thinking more along the lines of pairing a USB-C cable with a charging adapter that isn't garbage. Saw a pair posted way back in the thread, but I can't find it for the life of me (I didn't have a switch yet when I saw them).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Unmature posted:

Two quick Qs:

What's the dealio with car adapters? I'm going on a cross country road trip in a couple weeks and wanna play my Switch. Are there better ones, shittier ones, ones that might mess up my car battery? I've never used an adapter for something that sucks as much power as the Switch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The anker that's always out of stock on Amazon is the one people recommend. if you get a battery pack that limits the current coming out (mine limits one port to 1A and the other port to 2A), and you have a not poo poo USB cable, it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cojawfee posted:

The anker that's always out of stock on Amazon is the one people recommend. if you get a battery pack that limits the current coming out (mine limits one port to 1A and the other port to 2A), and you have a not poo poo USB cable, it should be fine.

...there are battery packs that don't limit output current :confused:

in either case I'm pretty sure the Switch never sucks more than 11-12 watts when undocked, though I don't remember the exact source

• Locked thread