Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kalli posted:

(fast) Willie Parker was eating those snaps by that point though. Bettis had like 100 carries his last year.

You did remind me of when Cowher was running the two headed Mike Tomczak and Kordell Stewart offense though, which was 100% dependant on Bettis.

The only time they ever threw the ball was as a change of pace on 1st down, or 3rd and long. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I always have a hard time squaring just exactly what HoF voters take into account in their votes (much like everyone else), but it clearly isn't entirely about stats. Bettis is famous even to casual football fans, and was still the 5th all-time leading rusher when he retired. Every back that's retired in the top 10 in the modern era has gotten into the hall

I don't think that's quite true, I believe Ottis Anderson would have been #8 when he retired in 1992. It's probably a good way to avoid the hall by having your best years on the Cardinals too.

You're mostly right though, he might be the only one in the modern game.

e: Interesting that he's all the way down to 28 now, since 1992 we've gone through a bunch of great feature backs and then gone to most teams being RB by committee.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Friend of mine and I are in an argument. Peterson or Tomlinson if you could draft them this year? It has to be Tomlinson right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Friend of mine and I are in an argument. Peterson or Tomlinson if you could draft them this year? It has to be Tomlinson right?

I think it has to be LdT, yeah. Tomlinson was great at catching out of the backfield and picking up blocks in pass protection. He's just overall a better player all-around even if he might not be as powerful a runner as AP.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Imo Tomlinson has an argument for being the best RB of all time.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Are we talking about Jerome Bettis?

:smith:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

When the hell are they going to announce Hard Knocks already? I want to see if my dumb lovely team is going to be featured or not.

It's gonna be the Bucs....or maybe the Titans.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Titans I feel would be super boring. That'd be cool though

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Titans I feel would be super boring. That'd be cool though

erotic smashmouth

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

THIS year? Tomlinson. There might have been a time in football where having the pure workhorse runner was better, but Tomlinson was that AND a whole bunch of other things. He was not only the best RB in the game for a number of years, he was also one of the top receiving backs out of the backfield (if not the best), and one of the best RBs in pass protection (if not the best). Tomlinson's 2003 is still one of the most amazing RB seasons I've ever seen.

I'm unashamedly biased on this subject, but I think you take Tomlinson without a second glance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, remember Titus Young? He got four years in prison today for one of his many assaults that apparently keep happening because he's literally crazy.

I'm sure prison won't help anything but at this point I don't know what would with him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Imo Tomlinson has an argument for being the best RB of all time.

I think he's one of the top 2 or 3 all around backs of all time. There are a few RBs that did certain things better than Tomlinson, like Barry having better feet or Brown being a better downhill runner, but coming up with a list of names that did everything better than Tomlinson did is surprisingly difficult.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

It's gonna be the Bucs....or maybe the Titans.

I'd be alright with it. Mike Evans owns.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
LT was also a better QB than any QB Peterson ever played with outside of late era Favre

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I think he's one of the top 2 or 3 all around backs of all time. There are a few RBs that did certain things better than Tomlinson, like Barry having better feet or Brown being a better downhill runner, but coming up with a list of names that did everything better than Tomlinson did is surprisingly difficult.

Faulk seems like the go to comparison, but you can argue he wasn't the pure runner that LdT was.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Oh, remember Titus Young? He got four years in prison today for one of his many assaults that apparently keep happening because he's literally crazy.

I'm sure prison won't help anything but at this point I don't know what would with him.

That's a shame. I remember at one point he got into a long fight or something at a phone store and was getting help because he was mentally ill but I guess that wasn't enough.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spoeank posted:

LT was also a better QB than any QB Peterson ever played with outside of late era Favre
Its sad how true this is.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No discussion of the best RBs of all time is complete without Jamaal Charles, who despite his injury-riddled last couple of seasons is still second only to Marion Motley in YPC among RBs, and Motley played in the goddamn 40s and 50s, and is a full 0.3 YPC ahead of the the third place Jim Brown. And did so over 1300+ carries.

For some reason I find it amusing that the 1st and 3rd place all-time YPC leaders both played practically their entire careers in Cleveland.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

That's a shame. I remember at one point he got into a long fight or something at a phone store and was getting help because he was mentally ill but I guess that wasn't enough.

Yeah I guess he left an inpatient mental health facility when he attacked someone that led to these charges. It's a really sad story and I have no clue how it could have been done differently aside from locking him away. Or preventing him from playing football if you believe his dad about concussions, but that's not really something for the courts to deal with at any point before he actually assaults people.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I was reading up on running backs because of all the Bettis/LdT/Gore talk and Clinton Portis is someone that's really frequently forgotten by NFL history

He missed the 10k club by 80 yards and had an incredible first two seasons in the NFL (attributable to the excellent blocking of the early 00s Denver OL) and a really drat good 3rd and 4th season (despite his YPC dropping off by nearly 20%)

If he hadn't gotten injured in 2006 he'd be regarded as a top-20 RB of all-time

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I will never forget Portis running all over the Chiefs for 5 TDs in 2003

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 11, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Since we were talking about Tomlinson, I made myself sad by watching old high light reels and was so happy when one of them had probably my all time favorite single LdT run on it. It was against the Vikings and I'm pretty sure it was in 2003, and god loving damnit it was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uobvJ95PxdY&t=82s

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

I will never forget Portis running all over the Chiefs for 5 TDs in 2003

For how good that team was in every other phase of the game, defensively that's like Alabama playing Portland State or whatever non-con cupcake.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Are we talking about Jerome Bettis?

:smith:

This seems outdated, the Patriots have 5 Super Bowl wins.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

100% dependent on what offense you'd want to run.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

GaussianCopula posted:

This seems outdated, the Patriots have 5 Super Bowl wins.
That's because it came out in 2006, which is long before you started watching

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
2006, 2016, what's the difference?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eli Wiggum posted:

That's because it came out in 2006, which is long before you started watching

I had no idea the Pats already had 6 super bowl wins.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Whoops, looks like it came out some time after Super Bowl 49. I was phone posting and couldn't see those tiny Lombardis :shobon:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

100% dependent on what offense you'd want to run.

You'd build the offense around the player you pick

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheChirurgeon posted:

You'd build the offense around the player you pick
Psshhh, the player will fit in my system :smug:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I forgot that we're losing out beat writers in the move to Las Vegas. We're getting something called Michael Gehlkin

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

I forgot that we're losing out beat writers in the move to Las Vegas. We're getting something called Michael Gehlkin

Omfg what's going to happen to Romanowski and Lorenzo neal on csn?! They're coming to Vegas, right?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

He was the Chargers beat writer at the San Diego Union Tribune last year

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the rich get richer, thanks afc east

quote:

Writing on ESPN.com (Insider content), Schatz detailed the analytics that led his Football Outsiders team to a most surprising conclusion: The Patriots currently project to have the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2017.

In making the projection, Schatz noted that it started with Football Outsiders' defense-adjusted value over average (DVOA) ratings for the past three seasons, with more weight placed on the 2016 ratings.

There are also offensive projections and a separate projection specifically for the starting quarterback. Offense and defense projections are done separately.

Then, Football Outsiders accounts for "general regression trends" while also working to "incorporate a number of other variables that measure everything from turnover ratios to personnel and coaching changes on both sides of the ball."

"We're forecasting decline for many of their out-of-division opponents, including Atlanta, Denver and Kansas City," Schatz wrote. "Meanwhile, the rest of the AFC East comes in under .500."

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4802397/football-outsiders-patriots-have-easiest-schedule-in-2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

lol, NE doesn't beat KC in the regular season.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

No Butt Stuff posted:

lol, NE doesn't beat KC in the regular season.

Unless KC needs to run a 2 minute drill in under 5 minutes to clinch it.

e: To contribute something other than a smartass remark, let's see what FO says about how injured teams were last year:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost

code:
Team	2016 	Rk	AGL	Rk
LARM	29.0	1	80.3	24
TEN	32.0	2	65.2	18
CIN	35.1	3	28.2	1
PHI	38.4	4	52.0	6
SEA	41.1	5	40.1	3
ATL	52.2	6	28.8	2
NYG	52.4	7	138.7	32
NE	54.5	8	93.3	29
CAR	56.5	9	50.9	4
DEN	60.2	10	56.7	10
BAL	60.3	11	96.1	30
PIT	61.8	12	67.1	19
OAK	65.0	13	57.6	11
DET	69.5	14	76.7	23
GB	70.5	15	56.2	9
DAL	70.6	16	51.7	5
JAC	72.5	17	68.9	20
TB	77.5	18	75.0	22
ARI	77.8	19	62.5	14
IND	78.4	20	65.1	17
NO	81.3	21	56.1	8
HOU	91.7	22	64.8	16
CLE	96.4	23	70.7	21
SF	97.5	24	83.9	27
BUF	97.8	25	80.5	25
MIA	99.1	26	63.4	15
KC	99.3	27	54.9	7
WAS	101.5	28	119.1	31
NYJ	110.5	29	61.8	13
MIN	120.6	30	59.0	12
SD	127.8	31	81.5	26
CHI	155.1	32	92.8	28
Da Bears :rip:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 11, 2017

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the rich get richer, thanks afc east

That's not a surprising conclusion. They have a bottom 5 schedule like every year.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Because all non-patriot afc East teams are garbage and will be for the foreseeable future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Fire up the band again.

• Locked thread