Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

isn't the puppet a vastly more embarrassing way to come across though

not if he never puts his real name out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Klyith posted:

It's the game entirely appealing to nostalgia, being reviewed by the guy who despises nostalgia. What did you expect?

But I watched the GB quicklook of the game, and I think I could see a lot of those exact same criticisms you bolded. Sterling is just characteristically harsh and un-tactful about it. The combat did look pretty brainless, and Rykert was also talking about no map or other way to navigate the convoluted world easily leading to a lot of wasted time.

Yeah, while he was possibly being harsher than necessary, I don't think Jim's point was that the game sucks because it was trying to be a Banjo-Kazooie clone; Jim Kickstarted the game and it advertised itself as exactly that. I think his point was that it is a lovely Banjo-Kazooie clone, that fixes none of the problems in its source material, while making a few things actively worse. He paid money because he wanted to see what a 3d platforming collectathon could accomplish in this day and age and was sorely disappointed (I happen to agree with him 100% on this).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yooka-laylee is better than banjo-tooie. 7/10

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when you could split banjo and kazooie up and kazooie was 100% better than playing as both

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nah i didn't buy banjo kazooie when i was in high school because i thought the main characters were stupid looking

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I rented it and thought it was Mario 64 for losers

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why the games chat thread gotta troll me like this 10 days after april fools day

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

banjo kazooie has some good designs and music and environments but the replayability is very low. that's my opinion

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oddium posted:

banjo kazooie has some good designs and music and environments but the replayability is very low. that's my opinion
Yeah I remember playing it and loving it a lot at the time but every replay attempt ended in failure, whereas I've happily gone through Mario 64 again and again over the years. And after getting super burnt out on Donkey Kong 64 I approached Yooka-Laylee with extreme suspicion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only had four N64 games because they were expensive and PS1 got a ton of good games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I only had four N64 games because they were expensive and PS1 got a ton of good games.

What were the 4 games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imagine if mario could only back flip jump off of predetermined pads on the ground

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So Jim Sterling is the Hunter S. Thompson of video games, got it

The only drug Jim Sterling looks like he's into is heavily processed cheese. Every time I see him in his totally-not-weird review setup I can only imagine how much sweat has collectively pooled into his sausage-case-looking rubber gloves while he babbles contrarian horseshit for ad $$$. Of all the weird YouTube personalities, I can't believe how many people unironically enjoy his opinions.

Shower With Your Dad Simulator, 8/10
EDF 4.1, 3/10
Mad Max, 4/10
The Sexy Brutale, 10/10

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
To be fair, he did give Deadly Premonition a 10/10, which is the score for that game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its funny when people hate a youtube man

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

The only drug Jim Sterling looks like he's into is heavily processed cheese. Every time I see him in his totally-not-weird review setup I can only imagine how much sweat has collectively pooled into his sausage-case-looking rubber gloves while he babbles contrarian horseshit for ad $$$. Of all the weird YouTube personalities, I can't believe how many people unironically enjoy his opinions.

Shower With Your Dad Simulator, 8/10
EDF 4.1, 3/10
Mad Max, 4/10
The Sexy Brutale, 10/10

He doesn't do the Jimquisition costume/backdrop thing for reviews (or, really, video reviews at all)--reviews are one of the few things he does separate from any gimmicks.

Now, whether you find his opinions useful or not is a different question entirely. I don't think he's a particularly good reviewer, myself. That's for reasons entirely separate from scores, though. I just don't think he provides particularly valuable insights about the games he reviews.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should start a YouTube channel and make $$$$$$

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he only reviews in text on his website that has no ads so he isn't just trying to get clicks. he has no ad revenue on anything cause so many people pay him to do his routine huff and puff about games industry standards

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Did you Know that Jim Sterling is the same person responsible for Godhand getting a 3 and Imagine Party Babyz a 7.5

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

imagine if mario could only back flip jump off of predetermined pads on the ground

It's really more like "imagine if mario could only perform his powers at predetermined points"

which happens to be exactly what mario 64 did in regards to the different cap powerups

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wait, did Cosmic Star Heroine actually come out?

It's a god damned miracle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I should start a YouTube channel and make $$$$$$

Get on that Patreon thing before it gets too played out.

Internet games critic man Mark Brown is probably making more on his Patreon than he ever would on ads with less than 200k subscribers. Pulling down almost $4300 per video ain't bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

What were the 4 games

Mario 64, OoT, Mario Kart, uh, Castlevania 64...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok well what if I already have a YouTube channel that no one looks at

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Mario 64, OoT, Mario Kart, uh, Castlevania 64...

Pretty solid. Which version of CV64?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Wait, did Cosmic Star Heroine actually come out?

It's a god damned miracle.

It looks neat and interesting and I'm gonna play it one day and hope it is good :D

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's weird that jim sterling gave yooka-laylee a 2 because it's not really a super bad game but also i would not give it much higher than a 6

there are some real big kickstarter disasters but unlike, say, mighty number 9, yooka-laylee does not make me want to die for every moment i play it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Pretty solid. Which version of CV64?

The first one, after playing that I wasn't touching Legacy of Darkness

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I take that back, my PAC Man CE 2 S rank videos are mildly popular and I still occasionally get notifications because there's two guys who have been flaming each other in the comments section for months now

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

The Colonel posted:

i think it's weird that jim sterling gave yooka-laylee a 2 because it's not really a super bad game but also i would not give it much higher than a 6

there are some real big kickstarter disasters but unlike, say, mighty number 9, yooka-laylee does not make me want to die for every moment i play it

A 2 does seem unusually harsh, especially if people find it to be on par with the classic banjo games (which today would admittedly probably not get close to a 7 or an 8 but still)

I'm trying to think of full-fledged commercial games that I would personally rate as a 2 and am coming up empty handed. lovely games are usually wonky or boring, not outright 2/10 bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The first one, after playing that I wasn't touching Legacy of Darkness

Ah yeah that game really does blow. I will kind of mildly defend Legacy of Darkness even if the control scheme is still assy.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

In Training posted:

Also I take that back, my PAC Man CE 2 S rank videos are mildly popular and I still occasionally get notifications because there's two guys who have been flaming each other in the comments section for months now

lol nice

The Colonel posted:

i never played a banjo-kazooie game or really any rare collectathon (except conker, does conkers bfd count?) so i might try yooka laylee

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Ah yeah that game really does blow. I will kind of mildly defend Legacy of Darkness even if the control scheme is still assy.

It's surprising at how fun it ended up being compared to the fuckery of the original.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am interested in the sexy brutale game actually, i put that on my wishlist

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

having still not fired up my gift copy of nier automata yet for various miscellaneous reasons i might drop the $20 on bayonetta and play that instead

nm i've got a copy of prey coming in may and it would be imprudent of me to spend money on an videogame when so many are piling up at my door

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

It's surprising at how fun it ended up being compared to the fuckery of the original.

Same here. The reason I'm hesitant to recommend it though is I played it in an emulator and was able to just rebind all the inputs into a contemporary action game, dual analog setup, so I can't speak to how it actually controls

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
"Hey the game you like got a 9 of 10 review!"

:agesilaus: "Well that's cool but scores on reviews are ultimately a meaningless number without the context of the full review. All my favorite press guys talk about how scores are dumb in this day and age, we should just get rid of them."

"Hey the game you like got a 2 of 10 review!"

:supaburn: "WHAT THE gently caress how could anyone put that number on this game!"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's badass screen filling skeletons though and you can turn into a werewolf on command and just gently caress things up. It's cool that they were given a second chance by Konami to finish/fix their game [glances longingly at MGSV...]

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Same here. The reason I'm hesitant to recommend it though is I played it in an emulator and was able to just rebind all the inputs into a contemporary action game, dual analog setup, so I can't speak to how it actually controls

Oh the controls are dumb, they put different inputs on L Z and R as if you'd let go of the control stick and the middle prong to reach over and hit L which is why when I played it on console I almost never used the transformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yes omg so many meltdowns and contradictory REACTIONS on the last page, goons sure are unstable!!

:rolleyes:

• Locked thread