Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Scry 2 is incredibly powerful, because it lets you tuck a card you don't like and lets you know your next draw. Scry 1 only lets you do one of those at a time. And you can set up her 0 by putting a different card above the thing you want to slam down. She's entirely valid as just +2 until ultimate, or as setting up her 0 repeatedly. That sort of versatility is great in a card.

The flexibility really makes it great.

It's a solid and versatile card selection / advantage engine that can also just be "6UG sorcery - target player loses 10 life" if you top-deck it late in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
New janky combo in modern thanks to the new desert land:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/64rxsz/thanks_to_the_power_of_the_desert_we_have_a_new/

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bant Company almost certainly wants Nissa as a 1-2 of

You keep saying this and I'm not sure why. I'd be curious to hear your reasons why. I don't see how it fits greatly into the game plan or helps win where something else wouldn't and I'm not sure what it would replace. Seems a little inefficient in modern. I guess you could cast it for x=3 on turn 3 and then use the zero ability to start generating card advantage but spending 5 mana on something that will get abrupt decayed doesn't seem good.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Scry 2 is really really good and Scry 2 next turn draw a card and add some mana to your mana pool is also good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nissa preordering at around 40 bucks. More than Gideon. Rhonas is 20.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Hysterical preorders are hysterical.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

If I have to find a defect in Rhonas, is that on an empty board he is completely useless. The other gods can still do their things and work towards their own activation. Rhonas NEEDS the aid of another spell to be alive.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Nissa seems very powerful. I think people are under-valuing the fact that you can dump extra mana in her to give her a little bit of a loyalty cushion. Her +1 is very nearly 'draw a card' and her 0 is often much better than that.

Nissa will likely be a format staple. I have been very wrong on Walker eval before (I thought flip Gideon was better than flip Jace), so we'll have to see.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

If I have to find a defect in Rhonas, is that on an empty board he is completely useless. The other gods can still do their things and work towards their own activation. Rhonas NEEDS the aid of another spell to be alive.

So does Heart of Kiran...

Eela6 posted:

Nissa seems very powerful. I think people are under-valuing the fact that you can dump extra mana in her to give her a little bit of a loyalty cushion. Her +1 is very nearly 'draw a card' and her 0 is often much better than that.

I have been very wrong on Walker eval before (I thought flip Gideon was better than flip Jace).

Nissa will likely be a format staple.

It's very hard for a Gold walker to be a format staple... I do agree that she's strong though.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Or a manland. Wandering Fumarole does the trick without any boosting.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

So does Heart of Kiran...
Sure. But the heart costs 2 generic mana, requires less power, can be activated using a planeswalker loyalty, can be activated by multiple creatures with the needed combined power, has evasion, has vigilance, and once activated will stay on for the whole turn, while if they kill the other creature before combat and there are no others 4 power creatures Rhonas will not attack nor defend that turn.

I'm not saying that he is no good, he IS good, but the need of another creature is his weak point.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 11, 2017

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You keep saying this and I'm not sure why. I'd be curious to hear your reasons why. I don't see how it fits greatly into the game plan or helps win where something else wouldn't and I'm not sure what it would replace. Seems a little inefficient in modern. I guess you could cast it for x=3 on turn 3 and then use the zero ability to start generating card advantage but spending 5 mana on something that will get abrupt decayed doesn't seem good.

Gentlemen.

Bant Eldrazi

Scry 2 is pretty much what the deck wants, if you don't want to gamble on a land or mana dork on turn 2. I have Dromoka's Command and Qasali Pridemage in my flex slots.
I just now for the first time read her ultimate. Yikes. She's seems highly plausible in modern to me.
Edit: gently caress it, preordered a set for 84. No regrets! Well, plenty of regrets, but this is not one!
Edit 2: Does Company run 8 dorks?

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 11, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

You really can't afford to have a card that does nothing except for scry 2. Would you really pay 1UG: Scry 2, Fog?

If the same card said 6UG: smack someone in the face for 10, or 3UG: Scry 2, rip that Verdurous Gearhulk for free next turn, all at the same time?

Probably.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Tubgoat posted:

Gentlemen.

Bant Eldrazi

Scry 2 is pretty much what the deck wants, if you don't want to gamble on a land or mana dork on turn 2. I have Dromoka's Command and Qasali Pridemage in my flex slots.
I just now for the first time read her ultimate. Yikes. She's seems highly plausible in modern to me.
Edit: gently caress it, preordered a set for 84. No regrets! Well, plenty of regrets, but this is not one!

You might be right. Giving Bant Eldrazi some way to improve consistency and card advantage in a long game when they don't go TKS into Reality Smasher seems like something the deck wants.

That's basically how I won games when I played Jund against Eldrazi. Either their draw was rear end and I was able to run them over before they could deploy their late game threats or they stuck their two big threats early while I had Terminates in hand and ran out of cards.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mcmagic posted:

It's very hard for a Gold walker to be a format staple... I do agree that she's strong though.

I don't agree. There have been plenty of 2 or 3 colored format staples. Siege Rhino, Crackling Doom, Abzhan Charm, Ghost Dad, 2WB Sorin....

A lot depends on context and the mana base available. Standard is so messed up right now it is hard to make real predictions. I'm excited to find out!

Plus, unbeatable snake God aside, amonkhet looks like an exciting limited format.

Ed: Siege Rhino is more "format defining" than "format staple"

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 11, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

That's basically how I won games when I played Jund against Eldrazi. Either their draw was rear end and I was able to run them over before they could deploy their late game threats or they stuck their two big threats early while I had Terminates in hand and ran out of cards.

Yeah, the problems of Bant Eladrazi are
1) not enough ramping. Their creatures cost so much!
2) too much flooding. To enable their creatures they run A LOT of lands.
3) running out of cards. True, there is Ancient Stirring, but it's just one card for another card, you will need another topdeck next turn.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

If 2WB sorin is above the bar for format staple then yeah this will be too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Eela6 posted:

I don't agree. There have been plenty of 2 or 3 colored format staples. Siege Rhino, Crackling Doom, Abzhan Charm, Ghost Dad, 2WB Sorin....

A lot depends on context and the mana base available. Standard is so messed up right now it is hard to make real predictions. I'm excited to find out!

Plus, unbeatable snake God aside, amonkhet looks like an exciting limited format.

He said 'gold walkers' and sorin and AV way back in the day are the only ones that come to mind

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Strong gold 'walkers include Ajani Vengeant, Ashiok, Dack Fayden, Kiora CW, Nahiri, Ral Zarek, Saheeli (currently, anyway), Sarkhan Vol, Sorin LoI, Tezzeret AoB, Venser, Vraska, and Xenagos.

I have no idea about "format staple" status, though, so be welcome to disregard most of these as necessary.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Sorin, Solemn Visitor was quite good. I played a lot of copies of it in Standard. I play it as a 1-of in Modern too in Abzan. Obviously it wasn't a staple, but I really enjoyed playing the card.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 11, 2017

Alaan
May 24, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Strong gold 'walkers include Ajani Vengeant, Ashiok, Dack Fayden, Kiora CW, Nahiri, Ral Zarek, Saheeli (currently, anyway), Sarkhan Vol, Sorin LoI, Tezzeret AoB, Venser, Vraska, and Xenagos.

I have no idea about "format staple" status, though, so be welcome to disregard most of these as necessary.

Also Domri Rade

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Lots of walkers there and only 1 of them I think is reasonable to call a format staple. Ajani Vengent.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Lots of walkers there and only 1 of them I think is reasonable to call a format staple. Ajani Vengent.

Basically replaced everywhere by Nahiri.

Also, Dack Fayden is a Vintage staple.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

Most Planeswalkers have an alternate condition where it takes over the game. It's just hard to justify playing a Planeswalker that is only ever good if you have complete control over the board.

Hard, but not impossible. Ashiok was a complete house even though there were plenty of two-drops that meant you couldn't safely play it and I expect this Nissa will work out similarly despite the heart. Big ups that while Ashiok couldn't really do much except be annoying while they had 2 power around, Nissa gets to keep providing value if their board consists of the Knight token left over after you had to answer Gideon with a kill spell

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 11, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

Basically replaced everywhere by Nahiri.

Also, Dack Fayden is a Vintage staple.

I meant in standard. Neither is or was a format staple in Modern.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

mcmagic posted:

This post except lol that he left out the most played gold walker in standard (Domri) while putting like 8 different unplayable ones on the list.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

Ajani Vengeant saw play in Modern on an on-again, off-again basis. Both early on and recently in Jeskai

The rest yeah, not so much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

This post except lol that he left out the most played gold walker in standard (Domri) while putting like 8 different unplayable ones on the list.

Domri was in 1 deck. IDK if that is a staple...

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Nahiri IS used in Modern.

For standard, Ashiok saw a lot of use in control decks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah she saw some play recently, but I doubt we'll be seeing her often in the future.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 11, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah she saw some play recently, but I doubt we'll be seeing her often in the future.

Seeing some play isn't the same thing as being a format staple. You're talking about something that is played in multiples in multiple decks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Seeing some play isn't the same thing as being a format staple. You're talking about something that is played in multiples in multiple decks.

I guess I consider something a "staple" if I want a few copies in my binder for that format. Xenagos and Ashiok were definitely that in KTK standard. I guess it's not worth arguing over a judgement call, but they were good walkers in good decks at certain times in the format.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

If that is the bar, basically no plainswalker except for Liliana of the veil, Karn and Ugin is a staple in modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

YggdrasilTM posted:

If that is the bar, basically no plainswalker except for Liliana of the veil, Karn and Ugin is a staple in modern.

If you added last hope, you would indeed. I feel its a silly thing to be pendantic over but mtggoldfish at least has a list of what is considered a format staple. Everyone feel free to argue over it for pages upon pages.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/index/modern#paper

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only card that's a format staple is Flooded Strand, IMO.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only card that's a format staple is Flooded Strand, IMO.

Doesn't even see standard play. Not a format staple.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
A card can be a format staple and in just one deck, because that's the best deck for the card, particularly if it is a gold card. Bloodbraid elf, Lingering Souls and Ashiok are all great examples. They were in just one deck because that deck was quickly the best deck you could have with them, so the other decks trying them quickly faded.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

A card can be a format staple and in just one deck, because that's the best deck for the card, particularly if it is a gold card. Bloodbraid elf, Lingering Souls and Ashiok are all great examples. They were in just one deck because that deck was quickly the best deck you could have with them, so the other decks trying them quickly faded.

Lingering Souls was in like a dozen tier 1 decks over its 2 years in Standard. Ashiok was a roleplayer in UBx control but people have a boner for it for some reason and want to believe it was an Important Card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

You can't compare Ashiok to those other two in terms of power level...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

Lingering Souls was in like a dozen tier 1 decks over its 2 years in Standard. Ashiok was a roleplayer in UBx control but people have a boner for it for some reason and want to believe it was an Important Card.

Ashiok was nowhere near the best card in UB control decks in that standard. It has the distinction of being one of the few planeswalkers where my default reaction was typically "ignore, keep attacking them". In fact I can't think of many times that card really did any major work or why most of the decks even included it tbh.

EDIT:

But to me a better definition of staple is this. It's a card where if you are playing it's colors, you need to ask yourself why you are not playing that card in your 75. Thoughtseize, Inquisition, Lightning Bolt, Path all qualify. Fetchlands/Shocklands qualify because if you are playing multicolor you should be plaything them. Lilly of the Veil or Last Hope is one too. She doesnt go in every deck that plays Black, but she does earn consideration.

Ugin and Karn are kind of interesting examples. I would say they are staples in the sense that if you are playing a big mana deck, you should ask yourself why you aren't playing those cards.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread